|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the vision about Bolli that Gest has?
2. What are the names of Bjorn the Easterner's two children?
3. Who is reluctant to part with the family estate and is willing to fight to the death for the land?
4. Who is Hoskuld's brother who immigrates to Iceland?
5. Who is Jorunn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem King Harald faces with chieftains?
2. Describe Geirmund.
3. When Geirmund attempts to leave, what does Thurid do?
4. How does the Laxriverdale dynasty begin and who is important in this dynasty?
5. Why is there tension between Olaf and Thorleik and what does Olaf do to ease it?
6. Describe Gudrun's first and second marriages.
7. What does Gest prophesize about Kjartan, Bolli and Olaf?
8. What is Kjartan and Bolli's relationship at Hjardaholt?
9. Describe the effect of Kotkel on Gudrun's life.
10. Who is Hrut Herjolfsson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As with many medieval tales, history is blurred by myths, legends, and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In the case of the Laxdaela Saga, there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient Scandinavian myth of your choice. How does this myth compare to one in the Laxdaela Saga? What elements are believable instantly and which elements seem more fictional? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? Which characters embark upon a spiritual journey, which go on a physical journey, and which experience both? How does this affect Olaf, King of Norway in particular? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
At the onset of the saga, the medium Gest has four prophecies, all of which come true. It would appear that Gudrun has little choice in her life if it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Gudrun's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice, discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)