|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose brother did the outlaw kill?
2. Who grows up together like brothers?
3. While the Norwegian crown does not abdicate authority of Iceland, what religion does the Icelandic people accept?
4. Prior to Christianity, what was the 9th century period known as a time of?
5. Who is reluctant to part with the family estate and is willing to fight to the death for the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of Olaf Feilan in the unfolding of the plot of the Laxdaela Saga?
2. Describe Geirmund's marriage.
3. Why is there tension between Olaf and Thorleik and what does Olaf do to ease it?
4. Describe Gudrun and Kjartan's relationship and its effect on their families initially.
5. Describe Gudrun's first and second marriages.
6. What surprising discovery is revealed about Melkorka?
7. What happens when Gest meets Gudrun?
8. Describe the effect of Kotkel on Gudrun's life.
9. How does Olaf's reputation grow?
10. What does Gest prophesize about Kjartan, Bolli and Olaf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the Laxdaela Saga. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Melkorka. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Melkorka's character in the Laxdaela Saga?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of taking a spiritual journey versus just a physical one? Which characters embark upon a spiritual journey, which go on a physical journey, and which experience both? How does this affect Olaf, King of Norway in particular? Describe.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)