• The Laxdaela Saga beings in the Kingdom of Norway in the late 9th century.
• The current king of Norway is King Harald Fine-Hair.
• As King Harald consolidates power to unify Norway, some chieftains decide to settle the new territory of Iceland instead.
• One such chieftain is Ketil Flat-Nose.
• Ketil initially desires to live in Scotland, believing himself able to claim good land there.
• However, his family decides to go to Iceland.
• Ketil's daughter, Unn the Deep-Minded is unusual because she is not a submissive woman.
• She is a powerful and unyielding matriarch.
• Her children establish powerful families in Iceland and in Scotland as well.
• Unn stakes out a broad swath of land throughout the unsettled Breidafjord.
• She splits the land among her family and other followers, awarding it based upon heritage, character and class.
• Unn has a grandson, Olaf Feilan whom she favors and bequeaths her...
This section contains 2,205 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)