|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is brought into the circle with Cora?
2. What does Cora tell Chief Tamenund to stop Magua from leaving with Alice?
3. What assurance does Hawkeye give Chingachgook?
4. How do Uncas and Chingachgook behave after the threat is gone?
5. When Uncas reappears, how does his face look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
2. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
3. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
4. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
5. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
6. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
7. How does Chingachgook turn out to be the last of the Mohicans?
8. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
9. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
10. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting Cora and Alice. In your opinion, is there an element of racism in Cora's being the stronger of the two girls and eventually being killed? Is there a weakness in Heyward's expressed preference for Alice? Is Magua's preference for Cora based on racial preference?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)