|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Delaware chief's response when Magua offers to take Cora off his hands?
2. How do Uncas and Chingachgook behave after the threat is gone?
3. Where do the Huron think Alice, Heyward, and Hawkeye are?
4. What evidence do they keep finding that tells them they are on the right trail?
5. How is the reunion meeting between Uncas and Chingachgook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss writing style, language, plot strengths and weaknesses, and use of descriptive words and sentences. Conclude your critique with your recommendation whether the novel should be read or not.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)