|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hawkeye dressed as they escape?
2. What gifts has Magua brought?
3. What example does Chingachgook set for Heyward?
4. What is Heyward hoping for as he wanders around the Huron village?
5. What makes the Huron warriors angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
2. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
3. What is Heyward warned about?
4. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
5. How does Chingachgook turn out to be the last of the Mohicans?
6. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
7. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
8. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
9. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
10. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)