|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men leave the fort the next morning?
2. What gifts has Magua brought?
3. What do they find when they look for the sick woman in the cave?
4. Who is the man Heywood sees approaching the Huron camp?
5. At first, what does Tamenund do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
2. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
3. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
4. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
5. What does Heyward discover about the bear after everyone else leaves the cave?
6. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
7. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
8. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
9. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
10. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)