|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Heywood left alone with in the cave?
2. How does Heywood smuggle Alice out of the cave?
3. Who do the young men bring to the Delaware camp meeting?
4. What example does Chingachgook set for Heyward?
5. How is the reunion meeting between Uncas and Chingachgook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
2. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
3. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
4. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
5. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
6. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
7. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
8. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
9. What does Heyward discover about the bear after everyone else leaves the cave?
10. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)