|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the attack on the red painted tree?
2. How does Heywood explain his paint?
3. What happens to the boy sent to collect rifles?
4. Why do the Huron allow David to come and go?
5. When Uncas reappears, how does his face look?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
2. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
3. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
4. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
5. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
6. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
7. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
8. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
9. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
10. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)