|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Magua enters, what do Hawkeye and Heyward do with him?
2. What does David report?
3. Who is the large warrior who shows up?
4. Where does Hawkeye find Alice?
5. What keeps the young man safe in the village even though he is a captive.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
2. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
3. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
4. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
5. Describe the negotiations with Magua to get the release of Cora.
6. What happens that night as the five men stay in the ruins of Fort Henry?
7. Describe the war dance in the Delaware camp.
8. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
9. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
10. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)