|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gifts has Magua brought?
2. Which main characters do not survive the battle?
3. How is Chingachgook disguised?
4. What stops the Delaware from torturing Uncas?
5. What choice does Magua give Cora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
2. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
3. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
4. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
5. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
6. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
7. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
8. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
9. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
10. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)