|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gifts has Magua brought?
2. Who sings over the grave of Cora?
3. Who is the only one of the captives that Magua has a claim on?
4. Where is Cora?
5. What is Heyward hoping for as he wanders around the Huron village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
2. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
3. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
4. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
5. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
6. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
7. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
8. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
9. Describe the war dance in the Delaware camp.
10. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)