|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heywood speak to the Huron chief?
2. What does the Huron chief want Heyward to do about an evil spirit in a tribal woman?
3. Where do they discover the footprints of women?
4. What gifts has Magua brought?
5. What do they find when they look for the sick woman in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
2. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
3. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
4. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
5. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
6. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
7. How are Cora and Uncas honored in death?
8. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
9. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
10. Describe the negotiations with Magua to get the release of Cora.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)