|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy sent to collect rifles?
2. What do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook do to confuse those following them?
3. What makes the work of the men so dangerous?
4. What does David report?
5. What startles David in the hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
2. Describe the negotiations with Magua to get the release of Cora.
3. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
4. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
5. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
6. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
7. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
8. How does Chingachgook turn out to be the last of the Mohicans?
9. What is Heyward warned about?
10. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the power of fiction to influence public opinion. Use Cooper's novel to speculate how it might have enhanced prejudice against native Americans. Include the fact that at the time Cooper's novels were being published, there was a serious push to displace native Americans to reservations and land areas that no one else wanted. Gen. George Custer was born 10 years after the publication of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. [Note: this essay is entirely different from the preceding one.]
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)