|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chingachgook disguised?
2. How does Heywood explain his paint?
3. Who is the young man holding onto the painted pole?
4. What is the symbolism of the attack on the red painted tree?
5. When Uncas reappears, how does his face look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
2. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
3. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
4. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
5. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
6. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
7. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
8. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
9. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
10. How does Chingachgook turn out to be the last of the Mohicans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)