|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heywood explain his paint?
2. What is the symbolism of the attack on the red painted tree?
3. How do Hawkeye and Uncas leave David in the lodge?
4. Who is the large warrior who shows up?
5. What does David report?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
2. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
3. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
4. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
5. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
6. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
7. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
8. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
9. How are Cora and Uncas honored in death?
10. What does Heyward discover about the bear after everyone else leaves the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay debating self protection and non-violence. Use the discussion between David and Hawkeye at the end of Chapter 12 to begin your essay. State your opinion about the validity of each side.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)