|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David report?
2. Where do the men spend the night?
3. Where do they discover the footprints of women?
4. Who does Magua take with the chief's permission?
5. What is the Delaware chief's response when Magua offers to take Cora off his hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Heyward warned about?
2. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
3. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
4. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
5. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
6. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
7. How are Cora and Uncas honored in death?
8. Describe the war dance in the Delaware camp.
9. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
10. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)