|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what does Tamenund do?
2. Who sings over the grave of Cora?
3. What gave the Huron the idea that David is insane?
4. How does Heywood smuggle Alice out of the cave?
5. When Uncas reappears, how does his face look?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
2. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
3. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
4. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
5. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
6. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
7. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
8. What does Heyward discover about the bear after everyone else leaves the cave?
9. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
10. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay contrasting Cora and Alice. In your opinion, is there an element of racism in Cora's being the stronger of the two girls and eventually being killed? Is there a weakness in Heyward's expressed preference for Alice? Is Magua's preference for Cora based on racial preference?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)