|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the chief say about Reed that Bends?
2. What is Heywood left alone with in the cave?
3. What do they find when they look for the sick woman in the cave?
4. How do they determine which--Heywood or Hawkeye--is Le Longe Carabine?
5. After Magua enters, what do Hawkeye and Heyward do with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
2. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
3. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
4. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
5. What happens that night as the five men stay in the ruins of Fort Henry?
6. How does Chingachgook turn out to be the last of the Mohicans?
7. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
8. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
9. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
10. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss writing style, language, plot strengths and weaknesses, and use of descriptive words and sentences. Conclude your critique with your recommendation whether the novel should be read or not.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)