|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the reunion meeting between Uncas and Chingachgook?
2. Where is Alice Munro?
3. What do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook do to confuse those following them?
4. How does Heywood explain his paint?
5. What is Heywood's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
2. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
3. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
4. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
5. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
6. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
7. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
8. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
9. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
10. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the power of fiction to influence public opinion. Use Cooper's novel to speculate how it might have enhanced prejudice against native Americans. Include the fact that at the time Cooper's novels were being published, there was a serious push to displace native Americans to reservations and land areas that no one else wanted. Gen. George Custer was born 10 years after the publication of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. [Note: this essay is entirely different from the preceding one.]
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how literary fiction influences popular thought. Keeping in mind that THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS was published in the 1800s, explain how it may have contributed to conventional wisdom about the habits of native Americans.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)