|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they suspect about the Oneida?
2. What weapon does David insist he can use?
3. Who is Hawkeye searching for in the Huron village?
4. Who does Magua choose when Hawkeye offers his life for Cora?
5. Who is the intruder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
2. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
3. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
4. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
5. Who are the condemned men being held by the Huron?
6. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
7. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
8. What happens that night as the five men stay in the ruins of Fort Henry?
9. What is Heyward warned about?
10. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the process of writing a novel. Where should the story come from? How much research is necessary to write historical fiction? Include how you would go about writing your own novel.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)