|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resistance does Cora put up?
2. How does Uncas disguise himself to escape?
3. What is the rumor Tamenund refers to?
4. Who does Magua say is in the Delaware camp?
5. What assurance does Hawkeye give Chingachgook?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
2. How are Cora and Uncas honored in death?
3. Describe the war dance in the Delaware camp.
4. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
5. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
6. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
7. When Magua enters the cave, how do Heyward and Hawkeye overpower him?
8. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
9. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
10. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)