|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only one of the captives that Magua has a claim on?
2. What startles David in the hut?
3. What do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook do to confuse those following them?
4. What do they find when they look for the sick woman in the cave?
5. Who is the intruder?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cora and Uncas honored in death?
2. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
3. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
4. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
5. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
6. Describe the war dance in the Delaware camp.
7. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
8. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
9. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
10. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)