|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice does Magua give Cora?
2. Who is the only one of the captives that Magua has a claim on?
3. What makes the Huron warriors angry?
4. Who meets Heywood and David just outside the Huron village?
5. What is David's cryptic message to Heywood in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strange event occurs as Heyward is led to a cave to perform medicine cures for a woman possessed of an evil spirit?
2. Describe the deaths of Cora, Magua, and Uncas.
3. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
4. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
5. What does Heyward discover about the bear after everyone else leaves the cave?
6. Describe the relationship between Chingachgook and his son, Uncas, as seen at the campfire in the ruins of Fort Henry.
7. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
8. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
9. What saves Uncas from torture and death in the Delaware camp?
10. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)