|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What encourages the searchers?
2. As what do the hunters identify Heywood's guide?
3. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
4. What is the message for Ft. Henry?
5. What causes the Huron to leave the area of the blockhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
2. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
3. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
4. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
5. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
6. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
7. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
8. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
9. What takes place after the slaughter of the refugees from Fort Henry?
10. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)