|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening when they finally near the fort?
2. Who actually goes to the dinner?
3. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
4. What advice does Hawkeye give as they battle the Iroquois?
5. Who are the Iroquois looking for called La Longue Carabine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
2. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
3. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
4. Describe where the group stops to rest as they continue on to Fort Henry.
5. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
6. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
7. After leaving in the opposite direction of the Iroquois, what does the reader learn about Hawkeye?
8. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
9. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
10. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)