|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Munro meet the girls' mother?
2. What is the secret place where Hawkeye, Chingachgook and Uncas take the major and the Munro girls?
3. What do Cora and Alice believe while in captivity?
4. What advice does Hawkeye give as they battle the Iroquois?
5. What is one thing Col. Munro says he never thought he would see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
2. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
3. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
4. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
5. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
6. How do the braves discover that Uncas is gone?
7. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
8. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
9. Describe the negotiations with Magua to get the release of Cora.
10. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting Cora and Alice. In your opinion, is there an element of racism in Cora's being the stronger of the two girls and eventually being killed? Is there a weakness in Heyward's expressed preference for Alice? Is Magua's preference for Cora based on racial preference?
This section contains 1,669 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)