|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Munro meet the girls' mother?
2. What does Magua want Cora to do after becoming his wife?
3. Who actually goes to the dinner?
4. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
5. What does Heyward do with the wounded David Gamut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
2. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
3. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
4. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
5. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
6. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
7. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
8. Describe where the group stops to rest as they continue on to Fort Henry.
9. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
10. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay debating self protection and non-violence. Use the discussion between David and Hawkeye at the end of Chapter 12 to begin your essay. State your opinion about the validity of each side.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)