|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
2. What do they conclude has frightened the horses?
3. Who are the men out looking for the group?
4. What is Hawkeye's problem during the battle?
5. Who is described as possessing muscular features?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
2. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
3. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
4. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
5. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
6. What do they find as they near Fort Henry?
7. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
8. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
9. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
10. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)