|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man standing outside across the water?
2. Who has pursued the Indians and their captives?
3. Who are the Iroquois looking for called La Longue Carabine?
4. What explains the difference in the complexions of Cora and Alice?
5. Who discovers them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
2. Why does Magua take Alice and not Cora when he leaves the Delaware village?
3. What news is in the letter Hawkeye delivers to Gen. Munro?
4. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
5. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
6. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
7. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
8. What is the near confrontation between Magua and Chingachgook?
9. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
10. How does Heyward gain entrance into the Huron camp?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay debating self protection and non-violence. Use the discussion between David and Hawkeye at the end of Chapter 12 to begin your essay. State your opinion about the validity of each side.
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)