|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Munro meet the girls' mother?
2. How many people march out of Ft. Henry?
3. Four days after Heywood and the girls enter Fort Henry, who is led to the fort?
4. Who is invited to dinner at the French camp under a flag of truce?
5. Who actually goes to the dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
2. After leaving in the opposite direction of the Iroquois, what does the reader learn about Hawkeye?
3. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
4. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
5. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
6. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
7. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
8. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
9. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
10. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay debating self protection and non-violence. Use the discussion between David and Hawkeye at the end of Chapter 12 to begin your essay. State your opinion about the validity of each side.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)