|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
2. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
3. Four days after Heywood and the girls enter Fort Henry, who is led to the fort?
4. Who does Heyward wish to marry?
5. Who is the person the Huron immediately suspect killed their comrade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
2. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
3. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
4. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
5. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
6. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
7. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
8. What takes place after the slaughter of the refugees from Fort Henry?
9. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
10. Describe where the group stops to rest as they continue on to Fort Henry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay debating self protection and non-violence. Use the discussion between David and Hawkeye at the end of Chapter 12 to begin your essay. State your opinion about the validity of each side.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)