|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Uncas say are hiding in the woods?
2. On their way, what does Heyward continually try to do?
3. Who has pursued the Indians and their captives?
4. What does Uncas take to ward off wolves?
5. After the Indian ambush, who are out looking for Cora and Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
2. What plan does Magua have for the group of captives after Cora rejects his advances?
3. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
4. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
5. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
6. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
7. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
8. What do they find as they near Fort Henry?
9. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
10. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)