|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the rewards Heyward promises Renard if he helps them?
2. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
3. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
4. What do the Iroquois do in the outer cave?
5. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
2. After leaving in the opposite direction of the Iroquois, what does the reader learn about Hawkeye?
3. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
4. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
5. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
6. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
7. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
8. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
9. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
10. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on preconceptions in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Although Cooper attempts to show nobility in the native American, define how only the ones friendly to the English come across as noble. In your opinion, how much actual research went into writing about the Huron, the Delaware, and the Mohicans. Include the fact that Cooper's novels were not only popular in America but they were also well received in Europe. To what extent does this novel contribute to public preconceptions about native Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)