|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
2. What happens as the Huron see one of their group fall dead?
3. What does one of the Huron threaten to do to Alice?
4. Who has pursued the Indians and their captives?
5. Who is the Indian waiting with the European?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
2. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
3. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
4. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
5. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
6. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
7. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
8. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
9. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
10. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Do some research and write an essay about the practice of scalping. Comparing your research to Cooper's story line, express your opinions about how this practice is mentioned in the text and whether you think it is genuine.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)