|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Heyward nearly wounded?
2. Who discovers them?
3. Why does Heyward reprimand the Psalmist?
4. How does Magua know the girls' father?
5. What happens to the treacherous guide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
2. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
3. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
4. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
5. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
6. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
7. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
8. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
9. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
10. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)