|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the Huron threaten to do to Alice?
2. When does the group prepare to move away from the blockhouse?
3. Who immediately join in the fight with the Hurons?
4. Four days after Heywood and the girls enter Fort Henry, who is led to the fort?
5. Where do they stop to rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
2. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
3. After leaving in the opposite direction of the Iroquois, what does the reader learn about Hawkeye?
4. What news is in the letter Hawkeye delivers to Gen. Munro?
5. What plan does Magua have for the group of captives after Cora rejects his advances?
6. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
7. What does Col. Munro say after he reads the letter intercepted from Gen. Webb and arranges the surrender with the French general?
8. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
9. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
10. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how literary fiction influences popular thought. Keeping in mind that THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS was published in the 1800s, explain how it may have contributed to conventional wisdom about the habits of native Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about why the French army did nothing during the massacre of the settlers leaving Fort Henry. Given what we know about Montcalm, explain why this inactivity seems out of character. Then conclude by referring to the French and Indian War which was an extension of the Seven Years War between France and England and the French problem of going against an ally.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)