|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spots the four hiding in the back of the cave?
2. What is happening when they finally near the fort?
3. Who is described as possessing muscular features?
4. What interrupts David Gamut's song in the cave?
5. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
2. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
3. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
4. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
5. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
6. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
7. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
8. Tell what happens when the hiding place is spotted by the Iroquois.
9. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
10. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)