|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request does Heyward make of Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas?
2. What is the message for Ft. Henry?
3. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
4. What happens to the treacherous guide?
5. How does Magua know the girls' father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
2. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
3. What plan does Magua have for the group of captives after Cora rejects his advances?
4. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
5. Describe where the group stops to rest as they continue on to Fort Henry.
6. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
7. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
8. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
9. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
10. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the power of fiction to influence public opinion. Use Cooper's novel to speculate how it might have enhanced prejudice against native Americans. Include the fact that at the time Cooper's novels were being published, there was a serious push to displace native Americans to reservations and land areas that no one else wanted. Gen. George Custer was born 10 years after the publication of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. [Note: this essay is entirely different from the preceding one.]
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about William Penn, called Minquoin by the Delaware. In your essay discuss how his dealings with the American Indians were different from those of other white settlers. Explain how our history might have been much different if Penn's approach had been the rule rather than the exception.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)