Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
2. What do Heywood and his party not realize?
3. As the group journeys on after the battle with the Hurons, who leads them?
4. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
5. As what do the hunters identify Heywood's guide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
2. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
3. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
4. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
5. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
6. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
7. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
8. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
9. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
10. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss writing style, language, plot strengths and weaknesses, and use of descriptive words and sentences. Conclude your critique with your recommendation whether the novel should be read or not.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about stereotypes used to describe the American Indian. In you essay cite references in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS as examples of stereotypes. Discuss how particulars often become generalizations about entire ethnic groups.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)