|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Iroquois do in the outer cave?
2. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
3. What do they conclude has frightened the horses?
4. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
5. What is the suggestion in the letter from Gen. Webb?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
2. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
3. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
4. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
5. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
6. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
7. What plan does Magua have for the group of captives after Cora rejects his advances?
8. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
9. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
10. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on how literary fiction influences popular thought. Keeping in mind that THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS was published in the 1800s, explain how it may have contributed to conventional wisdom about the habits of native Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)