|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the rewards Heyward promises Renard if he helps them?
2. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
3. What do Cora and Alice believe while in captivity?
4. Who is invited to dinner at the French camp under a flag of truce?
5. What interrupts David Gamut's song in the cave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news is in the letter Hawkeye delivers to Gen. Munro?
2. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
3. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
4. What do they find as they near Fort Henry?
5. Relate how Chingachgook explains why the Mohicans were finally unable to beat back the Iroquois.
6. What does Col. Munro say after he reads the letter intercepted from Gen. Webb and arranges the surrender with the French general?
7. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
8. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
9. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
10. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how Cooper's use of different names for characters and Indian tribes in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS affects the reading. In your opinion is it confusing? Does it require going back and re-reading certain sections of the novel?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)