|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Magua know the girls' father?
2. What does Uncas take to ward off wolves?
3. Where did Munro meet the girls' mother?
4. Who does Maj. Heyward elect to lead him and the young Munro women to Fort Henry?
5. What is one thing Col. Munro says he never thought he would see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
2. What does Col. Munro say after he reads the letter intercepted from Gen. Webb and arranges the surrender with the French general?
3. What does Col. Munro try to determine about Heyward's preference for Alice as a future wife?
4. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
5. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
6. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
7. How do Heyward, Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook attempt to capture Magua after they learn that he has betrayed Heyward and the girls?
8. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
9. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
10. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about historical fiction. Explain how including actual historical facts in a fiction story makes the tale more realistic. Discuss how Cooper's use of real tribal names enhances his story of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. What is the importance of the French and Indian War to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research about James Fenimore Cooper and discuss his use of actual people and events in his writing. [Note: a good research source is WILLIAM COOPER'S TOWN by Alan Taylor] Write your essay about how realistic the characters are. Give your impressions about Cooper's knowledge of the American Indian.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)