|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
2. What do Heywood and his party not realize?
3. As the group journeys on after the battle with the Hurons, who leads them?
4. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
5. As what do the hunters identify Heywood's guide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
2. Why is David allowed to roam around unmolested by the Indians?
3. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
4. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
5. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
6. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
7. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
8. How do the men locate the trail of the Iroquois in hopes of finding Cora and Alice?
9. Why does following the horses end in disappointment for the hunters?
10. What happens as they cross the lake in a canoe?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the process of writing a novel. Where should the story come from? How much research is necessary to write historical fiction? Include how you would go about writing your own novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)