|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hawkeye's problem during the battle?
2. Who prevents Cora from being scalped?
3. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
4. What is the message for Ft. Henry?
5. What does one of the Huron threaten to do to Alice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes great excitement and consternation in the Delaware camp?
2. What do the hunters learn about Cora and Alice?
3. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
4. Explain why the five men use extra caution when leaving Fort Henry the following morning.
5. What does Hawkeye, disguised as the bear, propose to do to Uncas?
6. What do they find as they near Fort Henry?
7. Describe how Magua gains entry into the Delaware village.
8. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
9. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
10. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the use of the English language in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss the formality of the language, giving examples from the novel. How does the language affect the reading of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about weaknesses in Cooper's tale. For example, begin with the idea that a father would send for his daughters to join him in a fort that is under siege. Include other things you find in the story that cause suspension of belief, e.g., Hawkeye dressed as a bear and no one suspecting he is really a man.
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)