|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Indian ambush, who are out looking for Cora and Alice?
2. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
3. Who is the Indian waiting with the European?
4. What encourages the searchers?
5. What happens when Heywood confronts the guide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time and events during which the story begins.
2. Explain how David Gamut is allowed to accompany Heyward, Alice, and Cora on the trip to Ft. Henry.
3. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
4. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
5. What keeps the Iroquois (or Huron) from attacking the group at the blockhouse?
6. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
7. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
8. What does Cora learn about Magua's early history?
9. How do Heyward, David, Cora, and Alice almost escape unnoticed by the Iroquois?
10. Describe the conflict between Gen. Montcalm and Le Renard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of public humiliation. Reference Magua's hatred for Col. Munro who had him publicly flogged. Explain how the hatred was not born from the flogging but from the public way in which it was administered. Relate the theme to how you would feel by being humiliated in front of other people.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about how the skill of reading tracks plays out in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Find references to several places where the Mohicans and Hawkeye demonstrate this skill. Express your opinion about the necessity of such a skill in frontier lands.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the power of fiction to influence public opinion. Use Cooper's novel to speculate how it might have enhanced prejudice against native Americans. Include the fact that at the time Cooper's novels were being published, there was a serious push to displace native Americans to reservations and land areas that no one else wanted. Gen. George Custer was born 10 years after the publication of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. [Note: this essay is entirely different from the preceding one.]
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)