|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Heyward when he tries to defend Alice?
2. What is the secret place where Hawkeye, Chingachgook and Uncas take the major and the Munro girls?
3. What does Uncas take to ward off wolves?
4. What causes the Huron to leave the area of the blockhouse?
5. What request does Heyward make of Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do they smuggle Uncas out of the Huron village?
2. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
3. Tell about the Hurons' response to the Delaware declaration of war.
4. What is the evidence that Cora and Alice have survived?
5. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
6. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
7. How does David prove his courage to Hawkeye?
8. What takes place after the slaughter of the refugees from Fort Henry?
9. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
10. What ruse do Heyward and Hawkeye use to confuse the Delaware?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the literary glamorization of the American Indian. Use examples of Cooper's descriptions of Indian customs that extol a high ethical standard. Include the representations of Indian bravery as a prerequisite to manhood.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ironic twists in literature. In your essay discuss how Uncas is introduced in the beginning as the last of the Mohicans when, in fact, it does not turn out that way in the end. Express your opinion about how irony enhances interest in a well told tale.
Essay Topic 3
Write a critique of THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. Discuss writing style, language, plot strengths and weaknesses, and use of descriptive words and sentences. Conclude your critique with your recommendation whether the novel should be read or not.
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)