|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Magua's objection to the surrender treaty?
(a) no money changed hands
(b) no scalps have been taken
(c) no fires are set
(d) no hostages are taken
2. After the men leave, what do Cora and Alice do?
(a) hide in the cave
(b) climb a tree
(c) stand under the waterfall
(d) make dummies dressed in their clothes to appear asleep
3. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
(a) There are probably Iroquois in the area.
(b) They cannot leave the girls alone.
(c) They will wait for him to return.
(d) It has gotten too dark.
4. Who discovers them?
(a) a French teacher
(b) a French chef
(c) a French sentinel
(d) a French speaking Indian
5. What does the strange sound turn out to be?
(a) an Indian war cry
(b) a horse in pain or terror
(c) a goat caught in brambles
(d) a large owl
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the group prepare to move away from the blockhouse?
2. What does Hawkeye recall at a pond?
3. What saves them from the Frenchman who discovers them?
4. Who does Uncas say are hiding in the woods?
5. Who are the men out looking for the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the French do with the captured Hawkeye?
2. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
3. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
4. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
5. What are the arguments Heyward uses to try and get Magua to side with the captives?
6. After leaving in the opposite direction of the Iroquois, what does the reader learn about Hawkeye?
7. What takes place after the slaughter of the refugees from Fort Henry?
8. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
9. Explain what the Iroquois are really after.
10. What does Col. Munro say after he reads the letter intercepted from Gen. Webb and arranges the surrender with the French general?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)