|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
(a) defense against the invading French
(b) decoys to fool the advancing French army
(c) coach stations for British travelers
(d) way stations for British soldiers headed for the front
2. What does Cora suggest the men do?
(a) Build a big signal fire.
(b) Leave them in the cave and go by river to seek help.
(c) Turn the women over to the Iroquois.
(d) Wait until dark to slip away.
3. When does the group prepare to move away from the blockhouse?
(a) just before dawn
(b) at high noon
(c) when the moon is high
(d) two days later
4. What distresses Uncas?
(a) His quivver is empty.
(b) Chingachgook is shot in the arm.
(c) He knows the Iroquois have spotted the girls.
(d) He sees a Huron stealing the canoe.
5. Who does Maj. Heyward elect to lead him and the young Munro women to Fort Henry?
(a) an Indian scout
(b) a British sergeant major
(d) the psalmist
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncas find?
2. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
3. Who is the person the Huron immediately suspect killed their comrade?
4. Who is described as possessing muscular features?
5. What request does Heyward make of Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline what Heyward tells Cora and Alice about their father while they hide in the cave behind the waterfall.
2. What do they find as they near Fort Henry?
3. Discuss briefly the noise that is heard outside the cave.
4. What does Cora manage to convince the men to do?
5. After Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas leave to find help, what happens back near the cave?
6. Describe what happens when a warrior takes a baby as ransom for a woman's shawl.
7. What happens to prevent the torture of the captives?
8. Why does Hawkeye say they returned to the cave site?
9. Explain why Hawkeye and Chingachgook dissuade Heyward from going after the wounded Magua.
10. What are some of the problems the group faces as they battle the Iroquois?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)