|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps the young man safe in the village even though he is a captive.
(a) He is tied to one of the warriors.
(b) He challenges all takers to fight.
(c) He holds onto a painted pole.
(d) He gives his word he will not leave.
2. Who is the man Heywood sees approaching the Huron camp?
(a) Le Renard
(b) another Oneida
(c) a French deserter
(d) the bedraggled singer, David Gamut
3. Why is one of the Huron killed in the camp?
(a) He is mortally wounded.
(b) He showed cowardice in battle.
(c) He tried to steal Alice.
(d) He killed another Huron.
4. What does the chief say about Reed that Bends?
(a) He has run away.
(b) He has gone to scout out the enemy.
(c) He who was called by that name is forgotten.
(d) He is too young to hunt.
5. What is the symbolism of the attack on the red painted tree?
(a) the beginning of summer
(b) the elevation of a new chief
(c) a period of celebration
(d) a declaration of war
6. How does Heywood explain his paint?
(a) He says he wears what his brothers give him.
(b) He says the Oneida painted him.
(c) He says he cannot get it off.
(d) He says he likes the colors.
7. What does Chingachgook say over the body of his son?
(a) that the Great spirit is unfair
(b) the he will kill himself to join his son
(c) that he is now the last Mohican
(d) that he will revenge Uncas' death
8. What is Heywood's plan?
(a) to be painted black and go into the village at night
(b) to be painted blue and pretend to be ill
(c) to be painted as a Huron and go into the village
(d) to be painted as a clown and go to the village as a juggler
9. What is the Delaware chief's response when Magua offers to take Cora off his hands?
(a) He asks for a high price.
(b) He says that Cora is welcome.
(c) He laughs and says no.
(d) He pretends he does not understand.
10. What startles David in the hut?
(a) when the hut catches fire
(b) when Uncas is thrown in
(c) when the bear speaks
(d) when Reed that Bends is thrown in
11. What example does Chingachgook set for Heyward?
(a) falling asleep
(b) not showing that he is aware of danger
(c) keeping his arms at the ready
(d) hiding in the shadows
12. Who is the large warrior who shows up?
13. What gifts has Magua brought?
(a) a large, slaughtered buffalo
(b) a chest of fabrics found at Ft. Henry
(c) trinkets stolen from the dead bodies of women and children
(d) rifles taken from dead soldiers
14. How do they know their passage across the lake is discovered?
(a) a clamor of whooping on an island
(b) the sound of drums
(c) a white flag flying
(d) a bullet fired and a shrill yell
15. What is Magua really after?
(a) He wants Alice.
(b) He wants volunteers.
(c) He wants a treaty.
(d) He wants Cora.
Short Answer Questions
1. What resistance does Cora put up?
2. How does Heywood smuggle Alice out of the cave?
3. What evidence do they keep finding that tells them they are on the right trail?
4. Who is brought into the circle with Cora?
5. How is Chingachgook disguised?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)