Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sonny think about while trying to fall asleep the night of the annual square dance?
2. How much money do Sonny and Dwayne have when they go to the cafe for breakfast?
3. What does Coach Popper say that he could have bought with what he has spent on Ruth's pills?
4. Sonny's father is now what?
5. Who is knocked unconscious during the first basketball game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sam always take Sonny and Billy to the poorly stocked tank to go fishing?
2. Why do you think Sonny goes and sees Ruth at the end of the book?
3. What keeps bothering Ruth so much that she can't enjoy making love with Sonny?
4. Why does Genevieve tell Sonny that it is Dwayne's tough luck that he is with Jacy?
5. Why did Sam never marry the girl from the tank?
6. What is the Farrow's true money situation?
7. Why does Jacy feel it necessary to attend the naked swim party?
8. Between the glue mixed in with the foot-toughener and the towel fights, does Coach Popper have inappropriate behavior? What do you think these actions reveal about Coach Popper's character that is not necessarily given to us in the text?
9. Why does Sonny feel bad about Billy and Sam?
10. What do Dwayne and Sonny end up doing in Mexico?
In the first chapter the fact that lives overlap in a small town is evident. Write an essay explaining how the people of Thalia's lives are connected.
Sam reveals in Chapter 7 that the Farrows will be going broke soon. Write an essay about the effect money has on a family. The Farrows went from being broke to being rich to soon being poor again. They gave up a lot of their poor friends when becoming poor like Genevieve and her husband, so what will become of those relationships when the Farrows become broke again?
In the opening chapter of the book, Sam loses fifty dollars to Abilene on a bet that the Thalia football team will win. Why do you think Sam does this when the Thalia football team almost always loses? Why do you think he would risk losing fifty dollars instead of betting less?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)