|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jacy go to the country club dance with?
2. After Lois has a talk with Jacy about Dwayne, what does Lois drink?
3. What player does Coach Popper kiss on the ear?
4. Ruth asks Sonny into her house for what?
5. What does Coach Popper say that he could have bought with what he has spent on Ruth's pills?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the exchange between Ruth and Dwayne at the annual square dance.
2. Why do you think Coach Popper didn't tell Ruth that Sonny would be driving her to the doctor?
3. Why do you think Lois decides to sleep with Sonny?
4. Why does Jacy decide to make an ally of Sonny?
5. How does Sonny feel after he comes back from Fort Worth?
6. What can students do during lunch at Thalia High if they don't sneak off?
7. What do Sonny and Jacy do on their wedding night?
8. Why do you think Sonny feels depressed that he isn't in the army?
9. Why is Mr. Cecil fired and who gets him fired?
10. Why does Sonny feel bad about Billy and Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacy is manipulative throughout this book. Discuss the different ways this trait helped her and hurt her throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about how the character of Ruth makes you feel. Are you sad for her? Does her character frustrate you? What is your response to this character?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)