|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sonny tell Genevieve that he is blue?
2. Sonny realizes that Charlene would rather be dating who while watching the movie at the picture show?
3. Where does Jacy want to go to school?
4. Sonny is thinking he would rather be dating who while watching the movie at the picture show?
5. Even though it is Charlene's curfew she suggests that she and Sonny go where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dwayne not go and visit Sonny when he visits Thalia after boot camp?
2. Why are Sonny and Dwayne shocked to see the diner dark?
3. Which character seems to be a father figure to the boy characters? Give an example of him playing this role from the story.
4. Why do you think Sonny feels depressed that he isn't in the army?
5. After Jacy is with Abilene she has a pivotal moment that she shares with her mom Lois. What is it?
6. What keeps bothering Ruth so much that she can't enjoy making love with Sonny?
7. When Coach Popper is upset about only having nine boys show up for basketball practice, what does Coach Popper make the team do?
8. Why does Jacy decide to make an ally of Sonny?
9. Why do you think Sonny reacts the way that he does to the men trying to console the truck driver?
10. Why does Genevieve say that she and her husband quit being friends with the Farrows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The first time Sonny drives Ruth to the doctor there is an uncomfortable silence in the car for the ride there. What do you think Sonny is thinking? What do you think Ruth is thinking? Why do you think neither one of them spoke?
Essay Topic 2
It says in the book that after Sonny hit the referee in the back of the head during the basketball game he was a celebrity amongst the students. Why would this make him a celebrity? How long do you think this will last?
Essay Topic 3
Jacy is crushed when Abilene uses her and also when she finds out that Bobby Sheen married Annie. Jacy doesn't realize that she treated Dwayne, Lester, and Sonny that same way. Write an essay about why you feel Jacy is unable to make that connection.
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)