|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What player does Coach Popper kiss on the ear?
2. What sport do Sonny and Dwayne feel obligated to come out for?
3. Why does Sonny decide to go to the cafe for the first time since Sam told him he was not allowed?
4. What does Genevieve say that Dwayne lacks?
5. What does Ruth compare Sonny to in her mind after they sleep together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Coach Popper's class the most popular at Thalia High School?
2. Why do you think Sonny isn't mad at Dwayne for getting him beaten up?
3. Why do you think Lois decides to sleep with Sonny?
4. Why does Jacy second guess dumping Dwayne?
5. What seems to be some of the favorite pastimes in Thalia?
6. What significance is Jacy to Bobby Sheen?
7. When Coach Popper is upset about only having nine boys show up for basketball practice, what does Coach Popper make the team do?
8. Why does Marlene think about Charlene being sent away to have her baby when Charlene isn't pregnant?
9. Between the glue mixed in with the foot-toughener and the towel fights, does Coach Popper have inappropriate behavior? What do you think these actions reveal about Coach Popper's character that is not necessarily given to us in the text?
10. Why is Jacy upset with her mother at the annual square dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sam reveals in Chapter 7 that the Farrows will be going broke soon. Write an essay about the effect money has on a family. The Farrows went from being broke to being rich to soon being poor again. They gave up a lot of their poor friends when becoming poor like Genevieve and her husband, so what will become of those relationships when the Farrows become broke again?
Essay Topic 2
The first time Sonny drives Ruth to the doctor there is an uncomfortable silence in the car for the ride there. What do you think Sonny is thinking? What do you think Ruth is thinking? Why do you think neither one of them spoke?
Essay Topic 3
When Dwayne and Sonny go to the cafe in Chapter 1 they only have eighty cents between the two of them. Why do you think they have such little money? They are only supporting themselves and not a family. Discuss their jobs if they have one. Do you think this puts a strain on their relationship?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)