|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who always bets for the Thalia football team to win?
2. Who goes to sleep with the prostitute in Chapter 7?
3. How much money does Lois lose to Abilene in craps?
4. Why does Sonny tell Genevieve that he is blue?
5. Which player does the team trick with glue mixed with the foot-toughener?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Dwayne fights Lester?
2. Describe the incident with Coach Popper in the hotel room with Bobby Logan.
3. Why do you think Sonny reacts the way that he does to the men trying to console the truck driver?
4. Between the glue mixed in with the foot-toughener and the towel fights, does Coach Popper have inappropriate behavior? What do you think these actions reveal about Coach Popper's character that is not necessarily given to us in the text?
5. Why does Jacy feel it necessary to attend the naked swim party?
6. Why does Sonny feel bad about Billy and Sam?
7. When Coach Popper is upset about only having nine boys show up for basketball practice, what does Coach Popper make the team do?
8. Why do you think Jacy decides to go with Sonny?
9. Why does Sonny make a connection with Ruth?
10. Why does Sam decide to forgive Sonny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Dwayne and Sonny go to the cafe in Chapter 1 they only have eighty cents between the two of them. Why do you think they have such little money? They are only supporting themselves and not a family. Discuss their jobs if they have one. Do you think this puts a strain on their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Everyone in Thalia knew that Sam was getting older. Why do you think it is such a shock to everyone in Thalia when Sam dies? How do you think Thalia is affected by the loss of Sam?
This section contains 1,500 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)