|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is found sweeping a lot?
2. What does Ruth see that makes her grip with panic?
3. When Sonny kisses Ruth, where are they?
4. When Coach Popper wakes up from sleeping on the bus, what does he find that upsets him?
5. What is guarding the butane tank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Abilene gets an ego boost by coming to Thalia? Please cite examples from the book.
2. What happens when Ruth finds out that her husband had Mr. Cecil fired?
3. What happens on the school bus on the way back to Thalia High School?
4. Why does Jacy second guess dumping Dwayne?
5. Why did Sam never marry the girl from the tank?
6. Why does Jacy decide to make an ally of Sonny?
7. Why do you think Sonny goes and sees Ruth at the end of the book?
8. Why does Sonny make a connection with Ruth?
9. Why does Sam decide to forgive Sonny?
10. Even though Sonny has a crush on Genevieve, how does she feel about him?
Essay Topic 1
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Sonny and his father have had some major losses in their lives including Sonny's mother. Due to the losses there is tension between these two characters throughout the story. Write an essay on the effects the losses have had on the two of them as individuals and on their relationship with each other. Which character do you think should be extending a branch to the other to help mend the relationship, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Jacy's wristwatch ended up being extremely symbolic. Explain why.
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)