|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the group of boys pay to have sex with Billy?
2. Who is knocked unconscious during the first basketball game?
3. Which player does the team trick with glue mixed with the foot-toughener?
4. What event takes place a week before Christmas that everyone will attend?
5. Who does Jacy find her mother kissing in the foyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Coach Popper is upset about only having nine boys show up for basketball practice, what does Coach Popper make the team do?
2. What happens after Dwayne fights Lester?
3. Why do you think Dwayne believes he is still going to marry Jacy?
4. Do you think that everyone in Thalia figured out that Lois was in love with Sam by how she behaved at the funeral?
5. Why do you think Coach Popper didn't tell Ruth that Sonny would be driving her to the doctor?
6. It is Sonny and Charlene's anniversary in Chapter 2. What does Charlene demand that Sonny give her for their anniversary? What does Sonny actually give her?
7. Even though Sonny has a crush on Genevieve, how does she feel about him?
8. Why do you think Lois decides to sleep with Sonny?
9. What seems to be some of the favorite pastimes in Thalia?
10. Which character seems to be a father figure to the boy characters? Give an example of him playing this role from the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the opening chapter of the book, Sam loses fifty dollars to Abilene on a bet that the Thalia football team will win. Why do you think Sam does this when the Thalia football team almost always loses? Why do you think he would risk losing fifty dollars instead of betting less?
Essay Topic 2
Genevieve and Sonny's father could really be a comfort to one another. Explain why.
Essay Topic 3
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)