|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sonny see inside the cafe with Genevieve?
2. Who plays the best game of pool in Thalia?
3. Who always bets for the Thalia football team to win?
4. After Lois has a talk with Jacy about Dwayne, what does Lois drink?
5. What does Dwayne feel that he needs to do in order to keep Jacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sonny feels depressed that he isn't in the army?
2. Why does Sam decide to forgive Sonny?
3. Explain the ways that Sonny and Dwayne's friendship resembles a marriage.
4. Explain the exchange between Ruth and Dwayne at the annual square dance.
5. Why do you think Coach Popper didn't tell Ruth that Sonny would be driving her to the doctor?
6. Why does Sonny feel bad about Billy and Sam?
7. What happens after Dwayne fights Lester?
8. What seems to be some of the favorite pastimes in Thalia?
9. What does Genevieve say that is bad about Dwayne to Sonny?
10. Why do you think Sonny isn't mad at Dwayne for getting him beaten up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It says in the book that after Sonny hit the referee in the back of the head during the basketball game he was a celebrity amongst the students. Why would this make him a celebrity? How long do you think this will last?
Essay Topic 2
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
Essay Topic 3
For some reason Sonny's life seems to be overlapping with not only the teenagers of the story but also the adults. This is not even true of his close friend, Dwayne. Write an essay explaining why and how Sonny seems to cross into both generations with his life.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)