|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who withdraws from the sex with the blind heifer competition the boys have after the annual square dance?
2. Coach Popper gets mad when only how many players show up for practice?
3. Who are the only characters to celebrate an anniversary in the book during Chapter 2?
4. Who do Sonny and Dwayne eat with at the all-night diner?
5. Sonny's father is now what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Farrow's true money situation?
2. Which character seems to be a father figure to the boy characters? Give an example of him playing this role from the story.
3. What does Genevieve say that is bad about Dwayne to Sonny?
4. Between the glue mixed in with the foot-toughener and the towel fights, does Coach Popper have inappropriate behavior? What do you think these actions reveal about Coach Popper's character that is not necessarily given to us in the text?
5. Do you think that everyone in Thalia figured out that Lois was in love with Sam by how she behaved at the funeral?
6. Why does Sonny make a connection with Ruth?
7. Why does Jacy ask Sonny to marry her?
8. Why does Jacy feel it necessary to attend the naked swim party?
9. Why do you think Sonny and Dwayne choose to live above the pool hall?
10. It is Sonny and Charlene's anniversary in Chapter 2. What does Charlene demand that Sonny give her for their anniversary? What does Sonny actually give her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lois is the only woman that openly drinks in Thalia. Why do you think she is alone in this? What makes her different from the other women?
Essay Topic 2
Lois ends up having a long and serious talk with Jacy about not wanting Jacy to marry Dwayne. Why do you think Lois does this? Why do you think the author changes her character enough to allow her this moment with her daughter?
Essay Topic 3
The characters maturity levels really cover the gamut in this story. How do you think the maturity differences affect the characters in their relationships?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)