|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You were quite right: the sturgeon was a bit off"?
2. What term refers to "what a character is doing at any point in a piece of literature," such as "Gurov Kisses Anna"?
3. What street does Gurov stroll down in the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. In what row do Anna and her husband sit at the theater?
5. How often does the narrator say Anna went to see Gurov in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
Essay Topic 2
What does "Betrayal" mean in the context of The Lady with the Pet Dog? Who does Anna regret betraying? Why? What is the narrator's view of the betrayal of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)