|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna holding in the theater in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
3. What do Anna and Gurov begin to feel as the musicians begin tuning their instruments in the theater?
4. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to see Gurov?
5. What is missing from The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and motif in The Lady with the Pet Dog. What is the prominent motif which is expressed in the text? What does it represent? How does it connect to the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Chekhov's plot structure deviates from traditional plot structure in literature. Define "rising action," "climax," and "falling action," and explain how these differ from a typical plot line.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)