|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Chapter 4 is the climax of the novella?
2. On which street does Anna live?
3. Who is the partner of Gurov at cards?
4. What does Gurov note about his appearance in Chapter 4?
5. What does Gurov not dare to do when he approaches Anna in the theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Chekhov's plot structure deviates from traditional plot structure in literature. Define "rising action," "climax," and "falling action," and explain how these differ from a typical plot line.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)