|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
2. What is the type of realism Chekhov is known for in his writing, and which would refer to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
3. What does Gurov do at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
5. What show is being performed at the local theater in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)