|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurov ask Anna to do with him rather than cry?
2. What does Gurov not dare to do when he approaches Anna in the theater?
3. In what tense is the Lady with the Pet Dog?
4. What does the word "coxcomb" mean?
5. What is one of the main themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog, and a trait of Gurov's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Adultery" as it is presented in the text. What are the characters' feelings regarding adultery? How does this thematically interact with the other themes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)