|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Joan drive her car?
2. What does Marlene claim she did to help Joan out of the water?
3. In Chapter 33, who does Joan dream is dressed in a navy blue suit and crying behind locked glass doors?
4. What insects does Joan feed sugar water?
5. What does the landlord's father discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Joan likes leading a dual life between Arthur and Royal Porcupine?
2. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
3. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
4. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
5. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
6. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
7. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
8. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
9. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
10. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Joan's father. What is her relationship with her father and what is his influence on her as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)