|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of art does Joan find at the art show?
2. Around the same time Joan is getting anonymous calls, who telephones and invites her to dinner?
3. Who gives an eye witness account of Joan falling off the boat?
4. What is the name of the restaurant that Joan goes to with the Polish Count?
5. What does Joan do to her feet while dancing on the balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan let go of her past?
2. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
3. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
4. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
5. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
6. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
7. Describe Joan's inconsistent behavior with the Resurgent group.
8. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
9. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
10. What piece of evidence leads to Sam and Marlene's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Lady Oracle, Joan says she will stop writing romance novels and instead write Science Fiction. Why do you think Joan wants to stop writing romances? Do you think writing romances contributes to Joan's dishonesty? Would she write a good Science Fiction tale? Why or why not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)