|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 33, who does Joan dream is dressed in a navy blue suit and crying behind locked glass doors?
2. Why can't Joan drive her car?
3. Who does Joan sees as she swims to shore?
4. What is the relationship between Sam and Marlene?
5. What name does Joan use to purchase a ticket to Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
Essay Topic 2
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 3
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)