|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan plan to leave town?
2. What is the name of the restaurant that Joan goes to with the Polish Count?
3. Who would Joan like to have visit her from the Other Side?
4. What happens to the reporter when Joan opens the door of her flat in Terremoto?
5. Who are the four women Felicia meets in the maze?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
2. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
3. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
4. Who is Fraser Buchanan?
5. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
6. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
7. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
8. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
9. Explain how Joan uses lies to allow herself a vacation to Italy.
10. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
Essay Topic 3
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)