|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur do to the police officer?
2. Who is Joan having an affair with?
3. What does Joan plan to steal?
4. When Joan decides not to run away from Terremoto and returns to her flat, what does she decide she must do as she crouches behind the door?
5. What does the landlord's father discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
2. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
3. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
4. How does Joan let go of her past?
5. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
6. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
7. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
8. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
9. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
10. Who is Fraser Buchanan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)