|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sam and Marlene?
2. What solution does Joan offer to Arthur's political group?
3. Who is Chuck Brewer?
4. What does Arthur do to the police officer?
5. Who does Joan want to get out of jail in Toronto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
3. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
4. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
5. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
6. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
7. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
8. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
9. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
10. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Joan's actions that show her as a woman who is independent but also submissive to the men in her life. When she leaves her double life behind, how does she begin to show that she is becoming more assertive?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)