|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves in with Arthur and Joan?
2. How does Joan plan to leave town?
3. Why does Chuck Brewer bring Joan a hat?
4. What insects does Joan feed sugar water?
5. What does Felicia learn about Redmond in the maze?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
2. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
3. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
4. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
5. Who is Fraser Buchanan?
6. Explain how Joan uses lies to allow herself a vacation to Italy.
7. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
8. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
9. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
10. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title Lady Oracle? Provide examples from the text that show how the idea of an oracle is presented and its relevance to Joan and her journey of self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 3
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)