|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Redmond turn into when Felicia sees him in the maze?
2. Who would Joan like to have visit her from the Other Side?
3. What stops Joan from trying to write a different kind of novel?
4. What does Arthur think of Joan's new book?
5. What is the name of the restaurant that Joan goes to with the Polish Count?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
2. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
3. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
4. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
5. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
6. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
7. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
8. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
9. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
10. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 2
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Lady Oracle? Provide examples from the text that show how the idea of an oracle is presented and its relevance to Joan and her journey of self-acceptance.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)