|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Joan from trying to write a different kind of novel?
2. How does Joan describe the townspeople's actions toward her?
3. Why do Joan's fans contact her?
4. What does Arthur do to the police officer?
5. What kind of art does Joan find at the art show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan let go of her past?
2. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
3. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
4. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
5. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
6. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
7. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
8. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
9. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
10. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 2
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 3
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)