|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chuck Brewer tell Joan he loves her?
2. Who would Joan like to have visit her from the Other Side?
3. What does Joan tell her landlord about why the man is looking for her?
4. What do the older townspeople believe Joan will bring them?
5. How does Chuck Brewer change physically?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
2. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
3. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
4. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
5. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
6. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
7. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
8. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
9. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
10. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbol of the Fat Lady in Joan's life. When does Joan daydream about the Fat Lady and what does it suggest about her emotional state at the time? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's actions that show her as a woman who is independent but also submissive to the men in her life. When she leaves her double life behind, how does she begin to show that she is becoming more assertive?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)