|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confesses to the police that she took her father's dynamite?
2. What is the name of the restaurant that Joan goes to with the Polish Count?
3. Who gives an eye witness account of Joan falling off the boat?
4. Who does Joan want to get out of jail in Toronto?
5. What does Joan consider sending the police in Canada to let them know she's alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
2. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
3. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
4. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
5. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
6. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
7. Why do you think Joan likes leading a dual life between Arthur and Royal Porcupine?
8. How does Joan let go of her past?
9. Who is Fraser Buchanan?
10. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 2
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
Essay Topic 3
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)