|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives an eye witness account of Joan falling off the boat?
2. What does Joan plan to steal?
3. Toward the end of the novel, who does Joan imagine suffocating her while she relaxes on her balcony in Terremoto?
4. As a result of the book, Joan has her first what?
5. What is the title of Joan's romance novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan let go of her past?
2. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
3. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
4. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
5. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
6. What piece of evidence leads to Sam and Marlene's arrest?
7. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
8. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
9. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
10. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
Essay Topic 2
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 3
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)