|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is arrested for murder?
2. What does Joan bring the reporter in the hospital?
3. Who is watching the Olympic doubles figure-skating championships?
4. What does Mr. Morgan tell the police he heard while he was picnicking on the beach?
5. Toward the end of the novel, who does Joan imagine suffocating her while she relaxes on her balcony in Terremoto?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
2. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
3. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
4. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
5. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
6. Describe Joan's inconsistent behavior with the Resurgent group.
7. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
8. Explain how Joan uses lies to allow herself a vacation to Italy.
9. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
10. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Lady Oracle, Joan says she will stop writing romance novels and instead write Science Fiction. Why do you think Joan wants to stop writing romances? Do you think writing romances contributes to Joan's dishonesty? Would she write a good Science Fiction tale? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)