|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Chuck Brewer tell Joan he loves her?
2. What does Joan plan to steal?
3. Who does Joan ask to help with her plan to get away?
4. Who moves in with Arthur and Joan?
5. Who sees Felicia and Otterly in the maze?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
2. What piece of evidence leads to Sam and Marlene's arrest?
3. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
4. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
5. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
6. How does Joan let go of her past?
7. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
8. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
9. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
10. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbol of the Fat Lady in Joan's life. When does Joan daydream about the Fat Lady and what does it suggest about her emotional state at the time? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)