|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan hide in Royal Porcupine's basement?
2. In Chapter 33, who does Joan dream is dressed in a navy blue suit and crying behind locked glass doors?
3. What does Joan realize her character Charlotte must do in her romance novel?
4. What does Joan wash out in the basin?
5. Now that Joan is living in Terremoto, what is happening with the sale of her book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
2. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
3. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
4. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
5. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
6. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
7. How does Joan let go of her past?
8. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
9. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
10. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 2
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)