|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
2. Who is E.P. Revele?
3. What is Arthur's job?
4. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
5. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
2. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
3. Describe Joan's inconsistent behavior with the Resurgent group.
4. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
5. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
6. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
7. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
8. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
9. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
10. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 2
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
Essay Topic 3
Joan works on a novel while she's in Terremoto and has trouble creating the ending. Do you find the storyline of Stalked by Love and the characters Felicia and Charlotte reflective of Joan's own conflicts and fears? Provide examples that show how Joan's life gets written into Stalked by Love.
This section contains 1,515 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)