|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
2. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
3. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
4. What kind of novels does Joan write?
5. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
2. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
3. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
6. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
7. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
8. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
9. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
10. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Lady Oracle, Joan says she will stop writing romance novels and instead write Science Fiction. Why do you think Joan wants to stop writing romances? Do you think writing romances contributes to Joan's dishonesty? Would she write a good Science Fiction tale? Why or why not?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)