|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
2. What is Arthur's job?
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
5. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
2. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
3. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
4. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
5. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
6. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
7. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
8. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)