|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
2. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
3. What kind of novels does Joan write?
4. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
5. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
2. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
3. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
4. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
5. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
6. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
7. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
8. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
9. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
10. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Joan's father. What is her relationship with her father and what is his influence on her as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)