Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Essay Topic 1
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title Lady Oracle? Provide examples from the text that show how the idea of an oracle is presented and its relevance to Joan and her journey of self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 3
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)