|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
2. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
5. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
2. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
3. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
4. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
5. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
6. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
7. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
8. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
9. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
10. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
Essay Topic 2
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbol of the Fat Lady in Joan's life. When does Joan daydream about the Fat Lady and what does it suggest about her emotional state at the time? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)