|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
3. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
4. How many lives does Joan believe she leads?
5. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
2. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
3. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
4. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
5. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
8. What piece of evidence leads to Sam and Marlene's arrest?
9. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
10. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Lady Oracle, Joan says she will stop writing romance novels and instead write Science Fiction. Why do you think Joan wants to stop writing romances? Do you think writing romances contributes to Joan's dishonesty? Would she write a good Science Fiction tale? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 3
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)