|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Joan take after high school?
2. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
3. Where does Joan decide to move?
4. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
5. What is Arthur's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
2. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
3. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
4. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
5. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
6. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
7. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
8. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
9. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
10. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
Essay Topic 2
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)