|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
2. What does Joan buy in Rome?
3. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
4. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
5. What does Joan start writing while living with Paul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
2. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
3. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
4. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
5. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
6. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
7. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
8. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
9. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
10. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
Essay Topic 2
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 3
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)