|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
2. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
3. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
4. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
5. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
2. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
3. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
4. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
5. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
6. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
7. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
8. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
9. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 2
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 3
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)