|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
2. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
3. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
4. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
5. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
2. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
3. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
4. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
5. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
6. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
7. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
8. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
9. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
10. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Joan's father. What is her relationship with her father and what is his influence on her as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)