Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Discuss Joan's actions that show her as a woman who is independent but also submissive to the men in her life. When she leaves her double life behind, how does she begin to show that she is becoming more assertive?
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)