|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Essay Topic 1
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 2
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title Lady Oracle? Provide examples from the text that show how the idea of an oracle is presented and its relevance to Joan and her journey of self-acceptance.
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)