|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Joan take after high school?
2. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
3. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
5. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
2. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
3. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
4. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
5. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
6. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
7. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
8. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
9. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
10. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)