|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
2. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
3. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
5. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
2. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
3. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
4. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
5. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
6. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
7. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
10. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 3
Joan works on a novel while she's in Terremoto and has trouble creating the ending. Do you find the storyline of Stalked by Love and the characters Felicia and Charlotte reflective of Joan's own conflicts and fears? Provide examples that show how Joan's life gets written into Stalked by Love.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)