|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in the book?
2. Who is E.P. Revele?
3. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
5. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
2. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
3. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
4. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
5. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
6. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
7. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
8. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
9. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
10. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Joan's father. What is her relationship with her father and what is his influence on her as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)