|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
2. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
3. Where does Joan visit her father?
4. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
5. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
2. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
3. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
4. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
5. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
6. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
7. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
8. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
9. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
10. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)