|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What performance does Joan remember?
2. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
4. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
5. Where does Joan decide to move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
2. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
3. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
4. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
5. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
6. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
7. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
8. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
Essay Topic 2
Leda Sprott is an interesting minor character who influences Joan's belief in the occult. Discuss how Leda encourages Spiritualism in Joan at a young age and how Joan incorporates it into her life as an adult. In particular, address how Leda believes Joan is gifted and Joan's use of Automatic Writing to create Lady Oracle.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's actions that show her as a woman who is independent but also submissive to the men in her life. When she leaves her double life behind, how does she begin to show that she is becoming more assertive?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)