|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan named after?
2. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
5. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
2. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
3. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
4. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
5. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
6. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
7. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
8. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
9. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
10. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 2
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
Essay Topic 3
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)