|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan named after?
2. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
3. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
4. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
5. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
2. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
3. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
4. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
5. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
6. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
7. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
8. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
9. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
10. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title Lady Oracle? Provide examples from the text that show how the idea of an oracle is presented and its relevance to Joan and her journey of self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)