|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
2. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
3. Who is the main character in the book?
4. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
5. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
2. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
5. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
6. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
7. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
8. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
9. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
10. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Lady Oracle, Joan says she will stop writing romance novels and instead write Science Fiction. Why do you think Joan wants to stop writing romances? Do you think writing romances contributes to Joan's dishonesty? Would she write a good Science Fiction tale? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)