Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Essay Topic 1
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Joan's relationship with Arthur to the one she has with Royal Porcupine. Is one relationship better for Joan than the other? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)