|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
2. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
3. How many pounds does Joan gain before her wedding?
4. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
5. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
2. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
3. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
4. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
5. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
6. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
7. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
8. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
9. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
10. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
Provide several examples of how humor is used in surprising ways to develop the plot of Lady Oracle. Is this an effective writing technique?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)