|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
2. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
3. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
4. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
5. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
2. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
3. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
6. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
9. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
10. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 3
Joan works on a novel while she's in Terremoto and has trouble creating the ending. Do you find the storyline of Stalked by Love and the characters Felicia and Charlotte reflective of Joan's own conflicts and fears? Provide examples that show how Joan's life gets written into Stalked by Love.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)