|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
2. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
3. How many pounds does Joan gain before her wedding?
4. What performance does Joan remember?
5. How much does Joan get paid for her first manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
2. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
3. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
4. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
5. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
6. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
7. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
8. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
9. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
10. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan's relationship with her mother continues after her death through dreams and astral images. Describe two important scenes when Joan's mother appears and discuss their relevance to Joan's growth and self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbol of the Fat Lady in Joan's life. When does Joan daydream about the Fat Lady and what does it suggest about her emotional state at the time? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Does the ending of the novel suggest that Joan has some hope of retiring her former double life and becoming a person who enters into relationships with honesty? What does Joan's interaction with the reporter in the hospital suggest about how Joan has changed or not?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)