|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
2. What is the profession of Joan's father?
3. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
4. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
5. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
2. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
3. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
4. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
5. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
6. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
7. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
8. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan understands that she is an "escape artist" and that she is happiest when she is in danger. Discuss several instances in the novel when Joan is at her best when in danger. How does her personality change?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Joan's mother asks, "What have I ever done to make you behave like this?" when Joan arrives home in a lime green coat covering her substantial bulk. Discuss the reasons Joan uses her weight to taunt her mother and what Joan's mother consistently does to her as a child.
Essay Topic 3
Lady Oracle was published in 1976. How does Joan's life as a woman reflect the attitudes of that time? Compare her life as a wife to her life as a romance novelist. Which allows her to move beyond traditional roles? Do you think she is a character who is ahead of her time?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)