|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is coming to visit Paul?
2. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
3. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
4. What performance does Joan remember?
5. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
2. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
3. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
8. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
9. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
10. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbol of the Fat Lady in Joan's life. When does Joan daydream about the Fat Lady and what does it suggest about her emotional state at the time? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)