|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pounds does Joan gain before her wedding?
2. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
3. Who is Mavis Quilp?
4. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
5. What performance does Joan remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
2. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
3. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
4. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
5. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
6. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
7. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
8. Why do you think Joan likes leading a dual life between Arthur and Royal Porcupine?
9. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
10. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
Essay Topic 1
Terremoto, where Joan flees after faking her death by drowning, means "earthquake" in Italian. Discuss the significance of this setting as a symbol for Joan's new life. What does Joan expect her life to be when she arrives there? Does it meet her expectations?
Essay Topic 2
As Joan sheds pounds, she makes the choice to become a new person to match her new image and calls herself Louisa K. Delacourt. Discuss the importance of this decision to Joan's future. Why is it a relief to her to be someone else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Joan's actions that show her as a woman who is independent but also submissive to the men in her life. When she leaves her double life behind, how does she begin to show that she is becoming more assertive?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)