|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Joan get paid for her first manuscript?
2. Who is Mavis Quilp?
3. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
5. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
2. What piece of evidence leads to Sam and Marlene's arrest?
3. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
4. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
5. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
6. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
7. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
8. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
9. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
10. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
Essay Topic 1
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Aunt Lou? How does she act as a positive role model for Joan? Does Joan ever act in ways that remind you of Aunt Lou? Provide specific examples from the text to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Arthur's political causes. Does he seem to have a positive influence on political change? Why is it ironic that he and his resurgence group plan to blow up the Peace Bridge?
This section contains 1,522 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)