Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Joan's father. What is her relationship with her father and what is his influence on her as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Joan writes romance novels and prefers happy endings, but is dishonest and secretive in her own love life. Discuss how Joan's lies and secrets make positive, loving relationships impossible.
Essay Topic 3
Why can't Joan confront Marlene about their past encounters? Why does she hide in the ladies' room? Are there other examples in the novel where Joan responds in a similar manner? What does this suggest about Joan's character?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)