|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who considers herself an escape artist?
(b) Leda Sprott.
2. When Joan goes to town in Terremoto, who is unfriendly and doesn't help her with using the correct words?
(a) Mr. Vitroni.
(c) The butcher and his wife.
(d) Joan's mother.
3. What does Joan realize her character Charlotte must do in her romance novel?
(a) Enter the maze.
(b) Learn to paint.
(c) Find a new friend.
(d) Have a baby.
4. Who sees Felicia and Otterly in the maze?
(c) The maid.
(d) Tom the coachman.
5. Who sends an envelope filled with newspaper clippings to Joan in Terremoto?
(d) Fraser Buchanan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joan's fans contact her?
2. As a result of the book, Joan has her first what?
3. How does Joan plan to leave town?
4. What does Arthur think of Joan's new book?
5. Where do Joan and Royal Porcupine like to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
2. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
3. Explain how Joan uses lies to allow herself a vacation to Italy.
4. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
5. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
6. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
7. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
8. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
9. Explain the circumstances and symbolism behind Joan's cut feet.
10. What is Joan's reaction when she sees Royal Porcupine turned into Chuck Brewer?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)