|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan plan to leave town?
(a) To walk out unnoticed.
(b) Borrow a car.
2. What does the landlord offer Joan when she tells him she doesn't want the stranger arrested?
(a) A ride to town.
(b) A stronger lock for her door.
(c) Helpful advice.
(d) A home away from town that she can rent.
3. When Joan is standing on the terrace in the middle of the night after awaking from a dream, who does she finally decide to stop trying to make happy?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Her father.
4. Who moves in with Arthur and Joan?
5. What do the police find that makes them suspicious?
(a) A note from Joan.
(b) Joan's dress.
(c) A life preserver.
(d) Joan's shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlord's father discover?
2. What does Joan plan to steal?
3. In Chapter 33, who does Joan dream is dressed in a navy blue suit and crying behind locked glass doors?
4. When Joan goes to town in Terremoto, who is unfriendly and doesn't help her with using the correct words?
5. What does Fraser Buchanan want from Joan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
2. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
3. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
4. Describe Joan's plan to fake her death.
5. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
6. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
7. How does Joan let go of her past?
8. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
9. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
10. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)