|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Fraser Buchanan?
(a) A former journalist.
(b) A publisher.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A firefighter.
2. What kind of boat does Joan rent?
3. Who says "Pull yourself together"?
4. What secret does Joan reveal about her source of inspiration?
(a) Automatic writing.
(b) Political causes.
(c) Gothic mysteries.
5. How does Joan describe the townspeople's actions toward her?
(b) As a conspiracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chuck Brewer change physically?
2. What animal does Joan help the artist bring home?
3. When Joan wants to get out of her life, what does she plan to do at the end of Chapter 28?
4. Who sends an envelope filled with newspaper clippings to Joan in Terremoto?
5. What does Fraser Buchanan want from Joan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
2. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
3. How does Joan's affair with Royal Porcupine affect her stability?
4. Explain how Joan uses lies to allow herself a vacation to Italy.
5. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
6. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
7. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
8. What is the significance of the discovery of Joan's buried clothes?
9. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
10. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)