|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Morgan tell the police he heard while he was picnicking on the beach?
(a) The sound of a motor.
(b) A splash.
(c) A scream.
2. What does Joan realize her character Charlotte must do in her romance novel?
(a) Have a baby.
(b) Enter the maze.
(c) Find a new friend.
(d) Learn to paint.
3. What does Joan wash out in the basin?
(d) Coffee cup.
4. What action does Joan fear from Chuck Brewer?
(a) Bad driving.
(b) Exposing her past.
(d) Making her cry.
5. Why can't Joan seem to finish writing her romance novel?
(a) She needs to rewrite the first chapter.
(b) She has decided to make it longer.
(c) She spends too much time socializing instead of writing.
(d) She can't figure out a suitable ending.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the landlord offer Joan when she tells him she doesn't want the stranger arrested?
2. What does Joan consider sending the police in Canada to let them know she's alive?
3. When does Chuck Brewer tell Joan he loves her?
4. Who is watching the Olympic doubles figure-skating championships?
5. Why is Chuck Brewer interested in Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people in town respond when they see Joan?
2. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
3. At the end of Chapter 28, why does Joan feel she has to "get away, as quickly as possible?"
4. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
5. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
6. What are Paul's intentions towards Joan?
7. Why is Joan having trouble writing about her character Charlotte and the ending of her novel?
8. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
9. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
10. How does Joan take responsibility for her actions when she hears about Sam's arrest?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)