|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joan is standing on the terrace in the middle of the night after awaking from a dream, who does she finally decide to stop trying to make happy?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Aunt Lou.
2. What does Mr. Morgan tell the police he heard while he was picnicking on the beach?
(a) A splash.
(c) The sound of a motor.
(d) A scream.
3. What does Redmond turn into when Felicia sees him in the maze?
(b) Fearful weakling.
(c) Raging monster.
4. What does Joan wash out in the basin?
(c) Coffee cup.
5. What kind of swimmer does Joan's father say she is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of the novel, who does Joan imagine suffocating her while she relaxes on her balcony in Terremoto?
2. Why do Joan's fans contact her?
3. Where do Joan and Royal Porcupine like to eat?
4. What does the landlord's father discover?
5. Who is Joan having an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
2. Why does Joan feel she needs to disappear again?
3. How does Joan use her novel to explore her own life?
4. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
5. How does Joan let go of her past?
6. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
7. What role does the picnicking family play in Joan's plan to disappear?
8. Explain Arthur's response to the publication of Lady Oracle.
9. Why does the presence of the strange man who talks with her landlord spur Joan to action?
10. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)