|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
(c) By ski.
2. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(a) A new roommate.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Arthur's fellow protestor.
3. Who is Leda Sprott?
4. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Buries it.
(c) Throws it away.
(d) Flushes it down the toilet.
5. Where does Joan go on Tuesday evenings as a young girl?
(a) Book club.
(b) Cello lesson.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
2. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
3. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
4. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
5. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
2. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
3. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
6. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
7. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
8. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
9. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
10. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)