|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan contact Arthur from Rome?
(a) Postcard with no address or signature.
(b) Telephone call.
2. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
3. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(b) Watching TV.
(d) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
4. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
(a) By ski.
5. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(b) Portable typewriter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
2. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
3. What new name does Joan take when she rents a room?
4. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
5. What does Joan's mother do to her when Joan tells her she is planning to move from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
2. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
3. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
4. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
5. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
6. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
7. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
8. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
9. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
10. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)