|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Says hello.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Almost faints.
(d) Laughs and hugs her.
2. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Leaves the house.
(b) Talks with her father all night.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
3. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
(a) Her grades.
(b) Her foul language.
(c) Her boyfriend.
(d) Her weight.
4. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
5. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
(a) Science Fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
2. Who is Leda Sprott?
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
4. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
5. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
2. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
3. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
4. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
5. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
6. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
7. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
8. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
9. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
10. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)