|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
2. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
(a) Aunt Denise.
(c) Aunt Lou.
3. What kind of novels does Joan write?
(a) Children's stories.
(b) Costume Gothic novels.
(c) Science Fiction.
(d) Crime mysteries.
4. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
(b) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(c) She hears a sound outside on the path.
(d) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
5. Who is Leda Sprott?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
2. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
3. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
5. What performance does Joan remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
2. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
3. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
4. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
5. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
6. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
7. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
8. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
9. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
10. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)