|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
2. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
(a) Under the bed.
(b) In a suitcase.
(c) In the underwear drawer.
(d) In the sweater drawer.
3. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He travels to China.
(b) He finds a good job.
(c) He gets depressed.
(d) He borrows money from Joan's father.
4. What performance does Joan remember?
5. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He listens to her phone conversations.
(b) He tells her he's leaving her.
(c) He has a gun.
(d) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul offer to Joan?
2. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
3. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
5. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
2. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
3. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
4. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
5. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
6. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
7. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
8. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
9. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
10. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)