|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
(a) Her favorite teacher.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her parents.
(d) The Fat Lady.
2. Who does Joan want to see to discover more about how her mother died?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(c) Mother's doctor.
(d) Leda Sprott.
3. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
(b) Be well.
(c) All clear.
(d) Good luck!
4. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) A cafe.
(c) Hyde Park.
(d) A bookstore.
5. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) The publisher forbid it.
(b) She wants to surprise him later.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
2. What does Joan buy in Rome?
3. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
4. What is Arthur's job?
5. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
2. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
3. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
6. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
7. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
8. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
9. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
10. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)