|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Arthur's job?
(c) Teaching Assistant.
2. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
(a) Paul's apartment building burns down.
(b) Joan is evicted from Paul's apartment.
(c) Paul leaves Joan.
(d) She leaves Paul.
3. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
(a) Father's address.
(b) Fear of heights.
(c) Love of coffee.
(d) Weight loss.
4. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Buries it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Flushes it down the toilet.
(d) Throws it away.
5. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
2. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
3. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
4. What job does Joan take after high school?
5. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
2. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
3. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
4. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
5. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
8. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
9. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
10. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)