|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(a) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
(c) Watching TV.
2. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
(c) By ski.
3. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Talks with her father all night.
(b) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
(c) Leaves the house.
(d) Goes to sleep.
4. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
(a) They have been taken out.
(b) His face is missing in each photograph.
(c) They are faded.
(d) They have captions beneath them.
5. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arthur's job?
2. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
3. How does Joan contact Arthur from Rome?
4. What does Paul offer to Joan?
5. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
2. Why does Royal Porcupine believe his art exhibit is important?
3. How does Joan let go of her past?
4. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
5. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
6. Why is it important that Joan decides to stay and defend herself rather than run?
7. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
8. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
9. What does the reappearance of The Fat Lady in Chapter 27 suggest about how Joan perceives herself?
10. How is the final chapter a resolution to Joan's lies and secrets?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)