|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her foul language.
(c) Her grades.
(d) Her weight.
2. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(d) Aunt Lou.
3. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He listens to her phone conversations.
(b) He tells her he's leaving her.
(c) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
(d) He has a gun.
4. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
(c) Science Fiction.
(d) Male and female roles in society.
5. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
2. How much does Joan get paid for her first manuscript?
3. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
4. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
5. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
2. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
3. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
4. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
5. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
6. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
7. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
10. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)