|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(b) Portable typewriter.
2. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
3. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
(a) Joan dressed in a gothic costume.
(b) Joan and Paul.
(c) Joan and Aunt Lou at the fair.
(d) Joan with her dog.
4. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
5. Who is Joan named after?
(a) Joan Rivers.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) Joan Crawford.
(d) Joan Black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
2. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
3. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
4. Who is Leda Sprott?
5. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
2. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
3. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
4. Why does Joan bury her clothes?
5. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
6. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
7. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
8. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
9. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
10. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)