|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(a) Portable typewriter.
2. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
(b) Rocky land.
(c) By the sea.
(d) Angry mountain.
3. Who is Mavis Quilp?
(a) Paul's pseudonym.
(b) Joan's elderly aunt.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Paul's mother.
4. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) He would feel jealous.
(b) She thinks he will disapprove.
(c) The publisher forbid it.
(d) She wants to surprise him later.
5. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
(c) A painting.
(d) An air conditioner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
2. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
3. Who is Leda Sprott?
4. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
5. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
2. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
3. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
4. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
5. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
6. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
7. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
8. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
9. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
10. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)