|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
(a) Helping her bandage a cut.
(b) Picking up broken pieces of glass.
(c) Fighting off an intruder.
(d) By shaking her awake.
2. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(a) Her mother.
(b) A new roommate.
(c) Arthur's fellow protestor.
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
(c) Easily forgotten.
5. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Bertrand Russell.
(c) EB White.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
2. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
3. What flower is the man in the ravine holding?
4. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
5. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
2. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
3. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
4. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
5. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
6. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
7. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
10. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)