|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
2. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
3. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) It is just like her friends'.
(b) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
(c) It is worse than most.
(d) It is happier than most.
4. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Turns white.
(b) Gets cut.
(c) Catches on fire.
(d) Falls out.
5. Who does Joan want to see to discover more about how her mother died?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Mother's doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
2. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
3. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
4. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
5. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
2. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
3. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
4. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
5. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
6. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
7. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
8. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
9. Describe Joan's search for a fresh approach to her writing.
10. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)