|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Joan decide to move?
2. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
3. What does Paul offer to Joan?
(a) To be her husband.
(b) To live with him.
(c) To teach her Polish.
(d) To escort her back to her mother's home.
4. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in the book?
2. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
3. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
5. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan react when she reads the newspaper clippings that Sam sends her?
2. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Why does Joan like to go to the movies with her Aunt Lou?
7. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
8. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
9. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
10. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)