|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He gets depressed.
(b) He travels to China.
(c) He finds a good job.
(d) He borrows money from Joan's father.
2. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Talks with her father all night.
3. What new name does Joan take when she rents a room?
(a) Miss L. Delacourt.
(b) Ms. D. Foster.
(c) Miss Lou Foster.
(d) Miss Charlotte Smith.
4. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
(a) Good luck!
(b) All clear.
(d) Be well.
5. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
(c) Automatic writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Mavis Quilp?
3. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
4. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
5. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan's mother try to control Joan's weight?
2. How has Joan accomplished a transformation at the end of the novel?
3. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
4. How does Joan let go of her past?
5. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
6. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
7. In Chapter 31, how is it clear that Joan is beginning to unravel?
8. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
9. What kind of love does Royal Porcupine express for Joan?
10. How does Joan deal with her belief that she is being held captive?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)