|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
(b) Talks with her father all night.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Leaves the house.
2. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Get a loan from the bank.
(c) Finish her novel.
(d) Get a loan from Arthur.
3. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Falls out.
(b) Catches on fire.
(c) Turns white.
(d) Gets cut.
4. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Aunt Lou.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her grandmother.
5. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
(a) Joan and Paul.
(b) Joan dressed in a gothic costume.
(c) Joan with her dog.
(d) Joan and Aunt Lou at the fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
2. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
3. Who is E.P. Revele?
4. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
5. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
2. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
3. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
4. How is Joan's relationship with Arthur based on lies?
5. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
6. How does Joan allow Paul to treat her?
7. How does Joan change after becoming willing to publish Lady Oracle under her own name?
8. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
9. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
10. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)