|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Joan take after high school?
2. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
(a) An air conditioner.
(b) A painting.
3. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He gets depressed.
(b) He borrows money from Joan's father.
(c) He travels to China.
(d) He finds a good job.
4. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
(a) One month.
(b) Four days.
(c) One week.
(d) An afternoon.
5. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) It cheers him up.
(b) He criticizes her.
(c) They go to expensive restaurants.
(d) He makes gourmet meals himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joan named after?
2. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
5. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
2. How does Joan use her personal fears and concerns within the plot of the novel she is writing?
3. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
4. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
5. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
6. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
7. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
8. Describe Joan's personality while in high school.
9. Describe Joan's approach to meeting Paul and having a relationship with him.
10. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)