|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are coworkers.
(b) They are husband and wife.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are brother and sister.
2. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
3. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
(a) His boss.
(c) Dan and Marlene Pugh.
(d) His parents.
4. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
(a) An air conditioner.
(b) A painting.
5. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
(a) His face is missing in each photograph.
(b) They have been taken out.
(c) They have captions beneath them.
(d) They are faded.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
2. Who is Mavis Quilp?
3. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
4. What performance does Joan remember?
5. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joan try to stop the publication of Lady Oracle?
2. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
3. How does Joan see her father differently after she returns home for the funeral?
4. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
5. Why is discovering that Paul writes romance novels valuable to Joan's life?
6. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
7. Describe Joan's first encounter with Arthur.
8. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
9. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
10. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)