|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the landlord sell to Joan?
(b) An air conditioner.
(c) A painting.
2. What performance does Joan remember?
3. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
(b) Male and female roles in society.
(c) Science Fiction.
4. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(a) Aunt Lou.
5. Where does Joan decide to move?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
2. Who is Leda Sprott?
3. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
4. Who is the main character in the book?
5. Who is Joan named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the other girls treat Joan badly as they walk home from Brownies every Tuesday?
2. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
3. Describe Joan Foster's state of mind in Chapter 1.
4. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
5. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
6. What is the significance of Joan seeing her mother's astral body?
7. Why does Joan find it difficult to write when Arthur is depressed?
8. Describe Leda Sprott's appearance and her significance at Joan's wedding.
9. Describe the significance of Aunt Lou's inheritance on Joan's life.
10. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)