|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
(c) Phone call from her father.
2. What does Joan's mother do to her when Joan tells her she is planning to move from home?
(a) Stabs her with a knife.
(b) Buys her dishes.
(c) Helps her pack.
(d) Pleads with her to stay.
3. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Throws it away.
(b) Flushes it down the toilet.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Burns it.
4. What is Arthur's job?
(a) Teaching Assistant.
5. What performance does Joan remember?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Joan get paid for her first manuscript?
2. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
3. How does Joan contact Arthur from Rome?
4. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
5. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arthur make it easy for Joan to continue to lie to him?
2. What are some similarities between Joan and her character Charlotte?
3. Why is Joan's childhood ballet recital such a traumatic experience for her?
4. What role does Marlene Pugh reappearance in Joan's life play?
5. Who does Leda Sprott see standing behind Joan at the Spiritualists' meeting?
6. Explain why Joan does not tell her husband Arthur that she writes Costume Gothic novels.
7. Describe Arthur's state of mind in Chapter 20.
8. What are the implications of Joan sending Arthur a postcard from Rome?
9. How does Joan begin to take on a new identity after leaving home?
10. Why does Joan want to start a new life?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)