|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fraser Buchanan want from Joan?
(a) Twenty percent of her royalties.
(b) Help with publishing.
(c) An interview.
(d) A recommendation.
2. After her landlord tells Joan about the stranger looking for her, what awakens Joan during the night?
(a) Gurgling water from the basin.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) Footsteps outside her window.
(d) Neighbors making noise.
3. What does Fraser Buchanan threaten to reveal about Joan?
(a) Her past and double life.
(b) Her future plans.
(c) Her poor cooking skills.
(d) Her publishing contract.
4. What does Joan learn about herself at the end of the novel?
(a) That she has made a mess, but she will never be a tidy person.
(b) She is ready to move to Rome.
(c) She is safe in Terremoto.
(d) The stranger will take care of her.
5. What does Joan find on her doorstep?
(a) A dead dog.
(d) A dead porcupine.
6. Who confesses to the police that she took her father's dynamite?
7. Why can't Joan seem to finish writing her romance novel?
(a) She can't figure out a suitable ending.
(b) She needs to rewrite the first chapter.
(c) She has decided to make it longer.
(d) She spends too much time socializing instead of writing.
8. What does Felicia learn about Redmond in the maze?
(a) He is also lost in the maze.
(b) He is devoted to her.
(c) He looks healthy.
(d) He is a killer.
9. How does Chuck Brewer change physically?
(a) Loses weight.
(b) Gets heavier.
(c) Grows a beard.
(d) Cuts his hair and shaves his beard.
10. Who are the four women Felicia meets in the maze?
(a) They are all former Lady Redmonds.
(b) Four maids.
(c) Four friends of hers.
(d) Four long lost cousins.
11. What does Joan want to tell Arthur at the beginning of Chapter 27?
(a) She has a new idea for a book.
(b) She's having an affair.
(c) She got a new job.
(d) She loves to cook.
12. Who is watching the Olympic doubles figure-skating championships?
(c) Chuck Brewer.
13. When will the mysterious man that Mr. Vitroni spoke to return to town?
(a) One week.
(b) Four days.
(c) The next day.
(d) Two weeks.
14. Who does Joan imagine is skating on the television program?
(b) The Fat Lady.
(c) Royal Porcupine.
(d) A writer.
15. Who enters her flat while Joan is taking a bath?
(c) Chuck Brewer.
(d) Fraser Buchanan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Joan reveal about her source of inspiration?
2. When Joan wants to get out of her life, what does she plan to do at the end of Chapter 28?
3. What does Joan do to her feet while dancing on the balcony?
4. What animal does Joan help the artist bring home?
5. What does Redmond turn into when Felicia sees him in the maze?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)