|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joan decides not to run away from Terremoto and returns to her flat, what does she decide she must do as she crouches behind the door?
(a) Take a shower.
(b) Work on her novel.
(d) Defend herself.
2. What does Joan believe will happen if she goes to the secluded house?
(a) Mr. Vitroni will protect her.
(b) She will be happier with her housing conditions.
(c) She will be held prisoner.
(d) She will become more relaxed.
3. Why won't Joan write any more Costume Gothics?
(a) She thinks they are bad for her.
(b) She doesn't have time.
(c) She forgot how.
(d) She has no more plot ideas.
4. What do the older townspeople believe Joan will bring them?
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Good luck.
5. Who considers herself an escape artist?
(a) Leda Sprott.
6. What does Redmond turn into when Felicia sees him in the maze?
(a) Raging monster.
(b) Fearful weakling.
7. Who confesses to the police that she took her father's dynamite?
8. Why does Chuck Brewer bring Joan a hat?
(a) To wear in the garden.
(b) To avoid sunburn.
(c) He wants to elope with her.
(d) For playacting.
9. Who does Joan sees as she swims to shore?
(a) The police.
(b) Royal Porcupine.
(d) A picnicking family.
10. What does the landlord offer Joan when she tells him she doesn't want the stranger arrested?
(a) A ride to town.
(b) Helpful advice.
(c) A stronger lock for her door.
(d) A home away from town that she can rent.
11. When Joan goes to town in Terremoto, who is unfriendly and doesn't help her with using the correct words?
(a) Mr. Vitroni.
(c) Joan's mother.
(d) The butcher and his wife.
12. Who gives an eye witness account of Joan falling off the boat?
(a) Passing boaters.
(b) Children swimming.
(c) The picnicking family.
13. When Joan is standing on the terrace in the middle of the night after awaking from a dream, who does she finally decide to stop trying to make happy?
(b) Her father.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Her mother.
14. Who does Joan imagine is skating on the television program?
(b) The Fat Lady.
(c) A writer.
(d) Royal Porcupine.
15. After her landlord tells Joan about the stranger looking for her, what awakens Joan during the night?
(a) Gurgling water from the basin.
(b) A dog barking.
(c) Footsteps outside her window.
(d) Neighbors making noise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fraser Buchanan want from Joan?
2. Why can't Joan seem to finish writing her romance novel?
3. What does Joan use as a weapon to defend herself when a stranger knocks at her door in Terremoto?
4. Why does Joan fall into the water?
5. Who are the four women Felicia meets in the maze?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)