|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is watching the Olympic doubles figure-skating championships?
(b) Chuck Brewer.
2. Why does Chuck Brewer bring Joan a hat?
(a) To wear in the garden.
(b) To avoid sunburn.
(c) He wants to elope with her.
(d) For playacting.
3. As she is crouched behind her door in her flat in Terremoto, what does Joan do when she hears someone knocking at the door?
(a) She looks through the peep hole.
(b) She decides to open the door.
(c) She pretends she isn't there.
(d) She asks who is there.
4. What does Joan consider sending the police in Canada to let them know she's alive?
(a) A finger, an autograph, or a tooth.
(b) A letter confessing her part in the plot.
(c) A tape recording of her voice.
(d) A photograph of her and Mr. Vitroni.
5. Why won't Joan write any more Costume Gothics?
(a) She has no more plot ideas.
(b) She doesn't have time.
(c) She thinks they are bad for her.
(d) She forgot how.
6. What is the man's profession who is looking for Joan in Terremoto near the end of the book?
(a) Book publisher.
7. Toward the end of the novel, who does Joan imagine suffocating her while she relaxes on her balcony in Terremoto?
(a) The Fat Lady.
(b) The Butcher.
(c) Her mother's ghost.
(d) Her landlord.
8. Who does Joan imagine is skating on the television program?
(b) Royal Porcupine.
(c) The Fat Lady.
(d) A writer.
9. What kind of art does Joan find at the art show?
(a) Porcupine sculptures.
(b) Freezers containing run-over dead animals.
(c) Bronzes of animals.
(d) Bird watercolors.
10. Why is Chuck Brewer interested in Arthur?
(a) He knew Arthur in high school.
(b) He wants to join his political cause.
(c) He wants to offer him a job.
(d) He wonders why Joan won't leave him.
11. What does the landlord's father discover?
(a) A buried tire.
(b) Buried clothes.
(c) Joan's letter from Arthur.
(d) A crack in the foundation.
12. What do the police find that makes them suspicious?
(a) Joan's dress.
(b) A note from Joan.
(c) A life preserver.
(d) Joan's shoes.
13. What does Joan believe will happen if she goes to the secluded house?
(a) Mr. Vitroni will protect her.
(b) She will be happier with her housing conditions.
(c) She will become more relaxed.
(d) She will be held prisoner.
14. What action does Joan fear from Chuck Brewer?
(a) Making her cry.
(c) Bad driving.
(d) Exposing her past.
15. How does Chuck Brewer change physically?
(a) Gets heavier.
(b) Grows a beard.
(c) Loses weight.
(d) Cuts his hair and shaves his beard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan do to her feet while dancing on the balcony?
2. After her landlord tells Joan about the stranger looking for her, what awakens Joan during the night?
3. Why do Joan's fans contact her?
4. What secret does Joan reveal about her source of inspiration?
5. Why can't Joan seem to finish writing her romance novel?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)