|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When will the mysterious man that Mr. Vitroni spoke to return to town?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Four days.
(d) The next day.
2. Who considers herself an escape artist?
(a) Leda Sprott.
3. What kind of art does Joan find at the art show?
(a) Bird watercolors.
(b) Bronzes of animals.
(c) Porcupine sculptures.
(d) Freezers containing run-over dead animals.
4. Toward the end of the novel, who does Joan imagine suffocating her while she relaxes on her balcony in Terremoto?
(a) The Fat Lady.
(b) Her mother's ghost.
(c) The Butcher.
(d) Her landlord.
5. What does Joan wash out in the basin?
(c) Coffee cup.
6. Who sees Felicia and Otterly in the maze?
(b) Tom the coachman.
(d) The maid.
7. What does Fraser Buchanan threaten to reveal about Joan?
(a) Her publishing contract.
(b) Her poor cooking skills.
(c) Her future plans.
(d) Her past and double life.
8. Why won't Joan write any more Costume Gothics?
(a) She forgot how.
(b) She has no more plot ideas.
(c) She doesn't have time.
(d) She thinks they are bad for her.
9. Why can't Joan seem to finish writing her romance novel?
(a) She has decided to make it longer.
(b) She can't figure out a suitable ending.
(c) She spends too much time socializing instead of writing.
(d) She needs to rewrite the first chapter.
10. Now that Joan is living in Terremoto, what is happening with the sale of her book?
(a) Sales are rapidly increasing.
(b) Slight increase.
(c) Staying the same.
(d) No one is interested.
11. How does Joan describe the townspeople's actions toward her?
(d) As a conspiracy.
12. Who gives an eye witness account of Joan falling off the boat?
(b) Children swimming.
(c) The picnicking family.
(d) Passing boaters.
13. What does Joan realize her character Charlotte must do in her romance novel?
(a) Find a new friend.
(b) Enter the maze.
(c) Learn to paint.
(d) Have a baby.
14. Who does Joan imagine is skating on the television program?
(a) The Fat Lady.
(c) Royal Porcupine.
(d) A writer.
15. What do the police find that makes them suspicious?
(a) A life preserver.
(b) Joan's shoes.
(c) A note from Joan.
(d) Joan's dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Joan's fans contact her?
2. How does Joan plan to leave town?
3. What does Joan bring the reporter in the hospital?
4. What does Arthur think of Joan's new book?
5. What secret does Joan reveal about her source of inspiration?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)