|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Chuck Brewer interested in Arthur?
(a) He knew Arthur in high school.
(b) He wants to join his political cause.
(c) He wants to offer him a job.
(d) He wonders why Joan won't leave him.
2. As she is crouched behind her door in her flat in Terremoto, what does Joan do when she hears someone knocking at the door?
(a) She looks through the peep hole.
(b) She asks who is there.
(c) She decides to open the door.
(d) She pretends she isn't there.
3. What stops Joan from trying to write a different kind of novel?
(a) Her belief in happy endings.
(b) Lack of encouragement.
4. How does Joan plan to leave town?
(c) To walk out unnoticed.
(d) Borrow a car.
5. Where do Joan and Royal Porcupine like to eat?
(b) Burger King.
(c) Thai Palace.
(d) Kentucky Fried Chicken.
6. Who does Joan ask to help with her plan to get away?
(a) Chuck Brewer.
(d) Sam and Marlene.
7. What do the older townspeople believe Joan will bring them?
(b) Good luck.
(d) Bad luck.
8. What does Fraser Buchanan want from Joan?
(a) A recommendation.
(b) Help with publishing.
(c) An interview.
(d) Twenty percent of her royalties.
9. Why does Chuck Brewer bring Joan a hat?
(a) To avoid sunburn.
(b) For playacting.
(c) He wants to elope with her.
(d) To wear in the garden.
10. What kind of art does Joan find at the art show?
(a) Bronzes of animals.
(b) Porcupine sculptures.
(c) Bird watercolors.
(d) Freezers containing run-over dead animals.
11. What does Joan believe will happen if she goes to the secluded house?
(a) She will be held prisoner.
(b) Mr. Vitroni will protect her.
(c) She will become more relaxed.
(d) She will be happier with her housing conditions.
12. What do the police find that makes them suspicious?
(a) A note from Joan.
(b) Joan's shoes.
(c) Joan's dress.
(d) A life preserver.
13. Who enters her flat while Joan is taking a bath?
(b) Chuck Brewer.
(d) Fraser Buchanan.
14. What does Joan plan to steal?
(a) Paul's new novel.
(b) Marlene's diary.
(c) Arthur's money.
(d) Fraser Buchanan's notebook.
15. What happens to the reporter when Joan opens the door of her flat in Terremoto?
(a) He runs away.
(b) Joan hugs him.
(c) He gets hit with the wine bottle.
(d) He falls down the stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan wants to get out of her life, what does she plan to do at the end of Chapter 28?
2. Who does Joan sees as she swims to shore?
3. What is the title of Joan's romance novel?
4. Around the same time Joan is getting anonymous calls, who telephones and invites her to dinner?
5. How does Joan describe the townspeople's actions toward her?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)