|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
(a) New computer.
(b) Writing Coach.
(c) Lighting a candle and going into a trance.
(d) Writing outside.
2. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(a) Portable typewriter.
3. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
(a) Six chocolate bars.
(b) An onion.
(c) Half an orange layer cake.
(d) Too many strawberries.
4. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
(a) She has won a vacation.
(b) She has a job lead for him.
(c) She is publishing a book.
(d) She is expecting a baby.
5. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Happy or depressed.
(b) Ugly or beautiful.
(c) Calm or tense.
(d) Heavy or thin.
6. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
(a) Easily forgotten.
7. Who is Leda Sprott?
8. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) Hyde Park.
(c) A bookstore.
(d) A cafe.
9. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) It is happier than most.
(b) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
(c) It is worse than most.
(d) It is just like her friends'.
10. Who is coming to visit Paul?
11. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) She wants to surprise him later.
(b) He would feel jealous.
(c) The publisher forbid it.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
12. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
(b) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
(c) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(d) She hears a sound outside on the path.
13. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Fair trade.
(b) Factory closings.
(c) Equal rights.
(d) Banning the bomb.
14. Who does Joan want to see to discover more about how her mother died?
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Mother's doctor.
15. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) She was sick for a long time.
(b) She died in her sleep.
(c) She had a terrible illness.
(d) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What performance does Joan remember?
2. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
3. Who is E.P. Revele?
4. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
5. Who is Mavis Quilp?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)