|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
2. Where does Joan decide to move?
3. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
(a) By ski.
4. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
(a) His boss.
(c) His parents.
(d) Dan and Marlene Pugh.
5. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Calm or tense.
(b) Heavy or thin.
(c) Happy or depressed.
(d) Ugly or beautiful.
6. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
(a) They both have frightening experiences with men.
(b) They share the same last name.
(c) They both have brothers.
(d) They like to dance.
7. Who is Leda Sprott?
8. Who does Joan want to see to discover more about how her mother died?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(b) Mother's doctor.
(c) Leda Sprott.
9. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) The publisher forbid it.
(b) He would feel jealous.
(c) She thinks he will disapprove.
(d) She wants to surprise him later.
10. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
11. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Almost faints.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Laughs and hugs her.
(d) Says hello.
12. What new name does Joan take when she rents a room?
(a) Miss Lou Foster.
(b) Ms. D. Foster.
(c) Miss Charlotte Smith.
(d) Miss L. Delacourt.
13. What performance does Joan remember?
14. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
(d) Phone call from her father.
15. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are brother and sister.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are coworkers.
(d) They are husband and wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
2. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
3. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
4. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)