|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is E.P. Revele?
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Mrs. Symons.
(d) Mr. Stewart.
2. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
3. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
(b) His boss.
(c) Dan and Marlene Pugh.
(d) His parents.
4. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
(a) Joan and Paul.
(b) Joan and Aunt Lou at the fair.
(c) Joan dressed in a gothic costume.
(d) Joan with her dog.
5. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
6. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
(d) Phone call from her father.
7. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) It cheers him up.
(b) He criticizes her.
(c) They go to expensive restaurants.
(d) He makes gourmet meals himself.
8. Who is Mavis Quilp?
(a) Joan's elderly aunt.
(b) Paul's mother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Paul's pseudonym.
9. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) She died in her sleep.
(b) She was sick for a long time.
(c) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
(d) She had a terrible illness.
10. How much does Joan get paid for her first manuscript?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 200 pounds.
(c) 100 pounds.
(d) 1,000 pounds.
11. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
(b) It is worse than most.
(c) It is happier than most.
(d) It is just like her friends'.
12. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
(a) She is publishing a book.
(b) She has won a vacation.
(c) She has a job lead for him.
(d) She is expecting a baby.
13. What is the profession of Joan's father?
14. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
15. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) She thinks he will disapprove.
(b) She wants to surprise him later.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) The publisher forbid it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
3. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
5. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)