|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
(a) The Fat Lady.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her favorite teacher.
(d) Her parents.
2. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Catches on fire.
(b) Gets cut.
(c) Falls out.
(d) Turns white.
3. What performance does Joan remember?
4. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(c) Aunt Denise.
5. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
(b) She had a terrible illness.
(c) She was sick for a long time.
(d) She died in her sleep.
6. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Calm or tense.
(b) Ugly or beautiful.
(c) Happy or depressed.
(d) Heavy or thin.
7. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
(d) The sun is shining.
8. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) He would feel jealous.
(b) The publisher forbid it.
(c) She wants to surprise him later.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
9. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Aunt Lou.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her friend.
10. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
(a) Fear of heights.
(b) Love of coffee.
(c) Father's address.
(d) Weight loss.
11. What does Joan start writing while living with Paul?
(a) Nurse romances.
(b) Crime fiction.
(c) Gothic costume novels.
12. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
(b) All clear.
(c) Be well.
(d) Good luck!
13. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
(a) In the sweater drawer.
(b) In the underwear drawer.
(c) In a suitcase.
(d) Under the bed.
14. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
(a) Old sweaters.
(c) Wild colors.
(d) Silk and lace.
15. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
2. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
3. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
4. What kind of novels does Joan write?
5. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)