|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(b) Aunt Lou.
2. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
3. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
4. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He listens to her phone conversations.
(b) He has a gun.
(c) He tells her he's leaving her.
(d) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
5. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
(a) Angry mountain.
(b) By the sea.
(d) Rocky land.
6. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
(d) Science Fiction.
7. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
8. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Factory closings.
(b) Fair trade.
(c) Banning the bomb.
(d) Equal rights.
9. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) The publisher forbid it.
(b) She wants to surprise him later.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
10. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Finish her novel.
(c) Get a loan from the bank.
(d) Get a loan from Arthur.
11. What job does Joan take after high school?
12. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Throws it away.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Flushes it down the toilet.
(d) Buries it.
13. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
14. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
15. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Says hello.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Laughs and hugs her.
(d) Almost faints.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
2. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
3. What performance does Joan remember?
4. Where does Joan decide to move?
5. Who is E.P. Revele?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)