|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
2. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
(a) Water girl.
(b) Ticket seller.
(c) Arrow girl.
(d) Food seller.
3. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are husband and wife.
(b) They are coworkers.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) They are cousins.
4. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
(b) It is just like her friends'.
(c) It is worse than most.
(d) It is happier than most.
5. Who is coming to visit Paul?
6. What does Paul offer to Joan?
(a) To escort her back to her mother's home.
(b) To live with him.
(c) To be her husband.
(d) To teach her Polish.
7. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Buries it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Flushes it down the toilet.
(d) Throws it away.
8. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) Hyde Park.
(d) A cafe.
9. What is the profession of Joan's father?
10. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) The publisher forbid it.
(b) She thinks he will disapprove.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) She wants to surprise him later.
11. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
12. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
(a) Her foul language.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) Her weight.
(d) Her grades.
13. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
(a) The sun is shining.
14. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
(a) They both have brothers.
(b) They like to dance.
(c) They share the same last name.
(d) They both have frightening experiences with men.
15. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
2. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
3. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
5. What does Joan start writing while living with Paul?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)