|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What flower is the man in the ravine holding?
2. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
3. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
4. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
(a) She is expecting a baby.
(b) She is publishing a book.
(c) She has a job lead for him.
(d) She has won a vacation.
5. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Throws it away.
(b) Buries it.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Flushes it down the toilet.
6. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
(a) Aunt Denise.
(c) Aunt Lou.
7. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Turns white.
(b) Gets cut.
(c) Catches on fire.
(d) Falls out.
8. Who is coming to visit Paul?
9. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
(a) Bertrand Russell.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) EB White.
10. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
11. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
(a) Good luck!
(c) All clear.
(d) Be well.
12. What does Joan's mother do to her when Joan tells her she is planning to move from home?
(a) Buys her dishes.
(b) Pleads with her to stay.
(c) Helps her pack.
(d) Stabs her with a knife.
13. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(b) A new roommate.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Arthur's fellow protestor.
14. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
(a) In the underwear drawer.
(b) Under the bed.
(c) In a suitcase.
(d) In the sweater drawer.
15. Where does Joan visit her father?
(a) At the hospital.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At home.
(d) At a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
2. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
3. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
4. Who is Joan named after?
5. How many lives does Joan believe she leads?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)