|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
(b) Phone call from her father.
2. What is the profession of Joan's father?
3. What kind of novels does Joan write?
(a) Costume Gothic novels.
(b) Crime mysteries.
(c) Children's stories.
(d) Science Fiction.
4. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) They go to expensive restaurants.
(b) He makes gourmet meals himself.
(c) He criticizes her.
(d) It cheers him up.
5. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
6. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(a) Aunt Lou.
7. What job does Joan take after high school?
8. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
9. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He gets depressed.
(b) He finds a good job.
(c) He borrows money from Joan's father.
(d) He travels to China.
10. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(a) Watching TV.
(d) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
11. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Almost faints.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Laughs and hugs her.
(d) Says hello.
12. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Catches on fire.
(b) Turns white.
(c) Falls out.
(d) Gets cut.
13. Who is E.P. Revele?
(a) Mrs. Symons.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
14. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
(a) Car accident.
(b) Boating accident.
(c) Falling off a bridge.
15. What new name does Joan take when she rents a room?
(a) Ms. D. Foster.
(b) Miss Charlotte Smith.
(c) Miss L. Delacourt.
(d) Miss Lou Foster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
2. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
3. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
4. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
5. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)