|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan first meet Paul, the Polish Count?
(a) Through friends at a party.
(b) After falling off a double-decker bus.
(c) While at a resturaunt.
(d) Watching him at a sporting event.
2. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
(a) Joan dressed in a gothic costume.
(b) Joan and Paul.
(c) Joan with her dog.
(d) Joan and Aunt Lou at the fair.
3. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Flushes it down the toilet.
(b) Throws it away.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Burns it.
4. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Aunt Lou.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her friend.
5. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) She died in her sleep.
(b) She had a terrible illness.
(c) She was sick for a long time.
(d) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
6. Who is coming to visit Paul?
7. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
(a) Writing Coach.
(b) Lighting a candle and going into a trance.
(c) Writing outside.
(d) New computer.
8. What performance does Joan remember?
9. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
(a) Joan is evicted from Paul's apartment.
(b) Paul leaves Joan.
(c) She leaves Paul.
(d) Paul's apartment building burns down.
10. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Finish her novel.
(c) Get a loan from the bank.
(d) Get a loan from Arthur.
11. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are coworkers.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) They are husband and wife.
12. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
(a) They both have brothers.
(b) They like to dance.
(c) They both have frightening experiences with men.
(d) They share the same last name.
13. What does Paul offer to Joan?
(a) To be her husband.
(b) To escort her back to her mother's home.
(c) To live with him.
(d) To teach her Polish.
14. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
(a) They are faded.
(b) His face is missing in each photograph.
(c) They have captions beneath them.
(d) They have been taken out.
15. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(b) Aunt Lou.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arthur's job?
2. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
3. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
4. What kind of novels does Joan write?
5. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)