|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Ugly or beautiful.
(b) Calm or tense.
(c) Heavy or thin.
(d) Happy or depressed.
2. How does Joan first meet Paul, the Polish Count?
(a) Through friends at a party.
(b) While at a resturaunt.
(c) Watching him at a sporting event.
(d) After falling off a double-decker bus.
3. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
(a) Too many strawberries.
(b) Six chocolate bars.
(c) Half an orange layer cake.
(d) An onion.
4. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Bertrand Russell.
(d) EB White.
5. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
(a) Father's address.
(b) Weight loss.
(c) Love of coffee.
(d) Fear of heights.
6. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) A cafe.
(b) A bookstore.
(c) Hyde Park.
7. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Talks with her father all night.
8. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He listens to her phone conversations.
(b) He has a gun.
(c) He tells her he's leaving her.
(d) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
9. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
(c) Phone call from her father.
10. Who is Leda Sprott?
11. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
(a) Science Fiction.
(b) Male and female roles in society.
12. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
(a) She has a job lead for him.
(b) She has won a vacation.
(c) She is publishing a book.
(d) She is expecting a baby.
13. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Factory closings.
(b) Equal rights.
(c) Fair trade.
(d) Banning the bomb.
14. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) It is happier than most.
(b) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
(c) It is worse than most.
(d) It is just like her friends'.
15. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Gets cut.
(b) Turns white.
(c) Catches on fire.
(d) Falls out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
2. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
3. What kind of dreams does Joan have of her mother?
4. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
5. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)