|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
(a) They are faded.
(b) They have been taken out.
(c) His face is missing in each photograph.
(d) They have captions beneath them.
2. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her foul language.
(c) Her weight.
(d) Her grades.
3. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
(a) Joan's confidence.
(b) Arthur's praise.
(c) Good reviews.
(d) Marlene's support.
4. Who is the main character in the book?
(a) Joan Foster.
(b) Arthur Foster.
(c) Marlene Pugh.
(d) Leda Sprott.
5. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Heavy or thin.
(b) Happy or depressed.
(c) Calm or tense.
(d) Ugly or beautiful.
6. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
7. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
(a) Helping her bandage a cut.
(b) Picking up broken pieces of glass.
(c) Fighting off an intruder.
(d) By shaking her awake.
8. What performance does Joan remember?
9. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Her friend.
10. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
11. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
(a) Car accident.
(b) Falling off a bridge.
(c) Boating accident.
12. In Chapter 2, how does Joan get rid of the hair she cuts off?
(a) Flushes it down the toilet.
(b) Throws it away.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Burns it.
13. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(a) Her mother.
(c) A new roommate.
(d) Arthur's fellow protestor.
14. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Leaves the house.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Talks with her father all night.
(d) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
15. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
(a) Joan and Paul.
(b) Joan dressed in a gothic costume.
(c) Joan with her dog.
(d) Joan and Aunt Lou at the fair.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
2. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
3. What is the profession of Joan's father?
4. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
5. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)