|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
(d) Automatic writing.
2. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
(b) Car accident.
(c) Boating accident.
(d) Falling off a bridge.
3. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(d) Portable typewriter.
4. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are coworkers.
(c) They are husband and wife.
(d) They are brother and sister.
5. What does Joan start writing while living with Paul?
(a) Crime fiction.
(c) Nurse romances.
(d) Gothic costume novels.
6. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
(a) The RedGold Lady.
(b) Glass Wings & Icicle Teeth.
(c) Love Sonnets.
(d) Lady Oracle.
7. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(a) Her mother.
(c) A new roommate.
(d) Arthur's fellow protestor.
8. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
9. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
(a) Her boyfriend.
(b) Her weight.
(c) Her grades.
(d) Her foul language.
10. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Four days.
(d) An afternoon.
11. What does Paul offer to Joan?
(a) To teach her Polish.
(b) To be her husband.
(c) To escort her back to her mother's home.
(d) To live with him.
12. Where does Joan go on Tuesday evenings as a young girl?
(b) Book club.
(d) Cello lesson.
13. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
(a) She leaves Paul.
(b) Paul leaves Joan.
(c) Paul's apartment building burns down.
(d) Joan is evicted from Paul's apartment.
14. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
(a) By the sea.
(b) Rocky land.
(d) Angry mountain.
15. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) She thinks he will disapprove.
(b) He would feel jealous.
(c) She wants to surprise him later.
(d) The publisher forbid it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
2. What performance does Joan remember?
3. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
4. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
5. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)