|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
(a) Water girl.
(b) Ticket seller.
(c) Food seller.
(d) Arrow girl.
2. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
(a) They both have frightening experiences with men.
(b) They like to dance.
(c) They share the same last name.
(d) They both have brothers.
3. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
4. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(b) Leaves the house.
(c) Talks with her father all night.
(d) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
5. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Finish her novel.
(c) Get a loan from the bank.
(d) Get a loan from Arthur.
6. Who is E.P. Revele?
(a) Mrs. Symons.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
(d) Leda Sprott.
7. Who is coming to visit Paul?
8. What is Arthur's job?
(c) Teaching Assistant.
9. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(b) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
(c) Watching TV.
10. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) It is just like her friends'.
(b) It is worse than most.
(c) It is happier than most.
(d) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
11. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
(a) One week.
(b) Four days.
(c) An afternoon.
(d) One month.
12. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
(c) Making friends.
(d) Feeling confident.
13. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(c) Aunt Lou.
14. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
15. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her favorite teacher.
(c) The Fat Lady.
(d) Her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
2. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
3. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
4. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)