|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan first meet Paul, the Polish Count?
(a) Through friends at a party.
(b) While at a resturaunt.
(c) Watching him at a sporting event.
(d) After falling off a double-decker bus.
2. Who does Joan see at the Canadian National Exhibition?
(a) The Fat Lady.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her favorite teacher.
(d) Her parents.
3. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) The publisher forbid it.
(b) She wants to surprise him later.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
4. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Almost faints.
(b) Laughs and hugs her.
(c) Ignores her.
(d) Says hello.
5. Who is Joan's fictional heroine?
6. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
(a) Eating too little.
(b) Taking too long in the bathroom.
(c) Talking loudly.
(d) Sneaking around.
7. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
(a) By the sea.
(b) Angry mountain.
(d) Rocky land.
8. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
(a) Silk and lace.
(b) Old sweaters.
(c) Wild colors.
9. Who is Mavis Quilp?
(a) Paul's pseudonym.
(b) Joan's elderly aunt.
(c) Paul's mother.
(d) A neighbor.
10. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) A bookstore.
(b) Hyde Park.
(d) A cafe.
11. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Goes to sleep.
(b) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
(c) Talks with her father all night.
(d) Leaves the house.
12. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
(b) The sun is shining.
13. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) She hears a sound outside on the path.
(b) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
(c) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(d) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
14. Where does Joan decide to move?
15. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Arthur's fellow protestor.
(d) A new roommate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
2. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
3. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
4. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
5. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)