|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) It cheers him up.
(b) He criticizes her.
(c) They go to expensive restaurants.
(d) He makes gourmet meals himself.
2. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
3. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
(a) Male and female roles in society.
(d) Science Fiction.
4. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
(a) Dan and Marlene Pugh.
(c) His parents.
(d) His boss.
5. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Her friend.
6. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Fair trade.
(b) Banning the bomb.
(c) Equal rights.
(d) Factory closings.
7. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
(b) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(c) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
(d) She hears a sound outside on the path.
8. What is the code word Sam uses in a letter to let Joan know that authorities believe she is dead?
(a) Good luck!
(b) All clear.
(c) Be well.
9. What is Arthur's job?
(d) Teaching Assistant.
10. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He travels to China.
(b) He gets depressed.
(c) He finds a good job.
(d) He borrows money from Joan's father.
11. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
12. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
(b) Old sweaters.
(c) Wild colors.
(d) Silk and lace.
13. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
(a) Four days.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) An afternoon.
14. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
(a) Joan's confidence.
(b) Good reviews.
(c) Marlene's support.
(d) Arthur's praise.
15. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
2. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
3. What job does Joan take after high school?
4. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
5. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)