|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
(a) Leaves the house.
(b) Goes to sleep.
(c) Talks with her father all night.
(d) Feels guilty and eats nearly everything in the refrigerator.
2. What flower is the man in the ravine holding?
3. What pet is Joan allowed to have?
4. Who is Joan named after?
(a) Joan Crawford.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) Joan Rivers.
(d) Joan Black.
5. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) It cheers him up.
(b) He criticizes her.
(c) He makes gourmet meals himself.
(d) They go to expensive restaurants.
6. Where does Joan go on Tuesday evenings as a young girl?
(a) Cello lesson.
(c) Book club.
7. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
(a) They have been taken out.
(b) His face is missing in each photograph.
(c) They are faded.
(d) They have captions beneath them.
8. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are husband and wife.
(c) They are coworkers.
(d) They are brother and sister.
9. What does Joan buy in Rome?
(c) Portable typewriter.
10. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
(a) Eating too little.
(b) Sneaking around.
(c) Taking too long in the bathroom.
(d) Talking loudly.
11. What good news does Joan tell Arthur after meeting with Mr. Sturgess?
(a) She is expecting a baby.
(b) She has a job lead for him.
(c) She has won a vacation.
(d) She is publishing a book.
12. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Get a loan from the bank.
(c) Get a loan from Arthur.
(d) Finish her novel.
13. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Banning the bomb.
(b) Factory closings.
(c) Fair trade.
(d) Equal rights.
14. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
(c) Science Fiction.
(d) Male and female roles in society.
15. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
(a) Making friends.
(b) Feeling confident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
2. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
3. What photograph does Joan submit to the publisher?
4. What is the profession of Joan's father?
5. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)