|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose death does Joan learn about in Chapter 11?
(b) Aunt Denise.
(d) Aunt Lou.
2. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
(a) Hyde Park.
(b) A bookstore.
(d) A cafe.
3. Who is Joan named after?
(a) Joan Crawford.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) Joan Rivers.
(d) Joan Black.
4. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
(a) The RedGold Lady.
(b) Love Sonnets.
(c) Glass Wings & Icicle Teeth.
(d) Lady Oracle.
5. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
(a) Paul's apartment building burns down.
(b) She leaves Paul.
(c) Joan is evicted from Paul's apartment.
(d) Paul leaves Joan.
6. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
(a) Falling off a bridge.
(b) Boating accident.
(d) Car accident.
7. Why does Joan hide her career as a novelist from Arthur?
(a) She wants to surprise him later.
(b) The publisher forbid it.
(c) He would feel jealous.
(d) She thinks he will disapprove.
8. How does Paul escape from Poland during the Russian Invasion?
(d) By ski.
9. What happens to Arthur when his political causes fail?
(a) He borrows money from Joan's father.
(b) He gets depressed.
(c) He travels to China.
(d) He finds a good job.
10. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
11. Who does Joan want to see to discover more about how her mother died?
(a) Mother's doctor.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Aunt Lou.
12. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
(a) Ugly or beautiful.
(b) Heavy or thin.
(c) Calm or tense.
(d) Happy or depressed.
13. What does Joan believe about her marriage?
(a) It is just like her friends'.
(b) It is happier than most.
(c) It is worse than most.
(d) Arthur is happier than other husbands.
14. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Get a loan from Arthur.
(b) Sell her furniture.
(c) Finish her novel.
(d) Get a loan from the bank.
15. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
(a) Good reviews.
(b) Marlene's support.
(c) Joan's confidence.
(d) Arthur's praise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
2. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
3. What new name does Joan take when she rents a room?
4. Who does Joan think stole the first eight pages of her manuscript?
5. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)