|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
2. Who is E.P. Revele?
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
(d) Mrs. Symons.
3. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
(b) Rocky land.
(c) Angry mountain.
(d) By the sea.
4. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
(a) Arthur's praise.
(b) Joan's confidence.
(c) Marlene's support.
(d) Good reviews.
5. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
6. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) Bertrand Russell.
(c) EB White.
(d) James Joyce.
7. Who does Joan think of as she stands on the street outside the secondhand store in Rome?
(c) Aunt Lou.
8. Where does Joan visit her father?
(a) At the beach.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) At the hospital.
(d) At home.
9. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
(c) Automatic writing.
10. Who is the main character in the book?
(a) Marlene Pugh.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Joan Foster.
(d) Arthur Foster.
11. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
(a) Silk and lace.
(b) Wild colors.
(d) Old sweaters.
12. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
(a) Eating too little.
(b) Taking too long in the bathroom.
(c) Sneaking around.
(d) Talking loudly.
13. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(a) Watching TV.
(d) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
14. What letter is missing from Joan's typewriter?
15. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
(a) Picking up broken pieces of glass.
(b) Helping her bandage a cut.
(c) By shaking her awake.
(d) Fighting off an intruder.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lives does Joan believe she leads?
2. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
3. Where does Joan decide to move?
4. What does Joan tell Arthur her new book is about?
5. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)