|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Joan take after high school?
2. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(a) Watching TV.
(b) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
3. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
(c) Making friends.
(d) Feeling confident.
4. Where does Joan find her manuscript?
(a) In a suitcase.
(b) In the underwear drawer.
(c) In the sweater drawer.
(d) Under the bed.
5. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
(a) Eating too little.
(b) Taking too long in the bathroom.
(c) Sneaking around.
(d) Talking loudly.
6. What does Joan try to help her write a new book using the new theme?
(a) Lighting a candle and going into a trance.
(b) Writing Coach.
(c) Writing outside.
(d) New computer.
7. Who is Mavis Quilp?
(a) Paul's pseudonym.
(b) Joan's elderly aunt.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Paul's mother.
8. Where does Joan go on Tuesday evenings as a young girl?
(c) Cello lesson.
(d) Book club.
9. Where does Joan visit her father?
(a) At the hospital.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At home.
(d) At a restaurant.
10. Who is coming to visit Paul?
11. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
(b) The sun is shining.
12. Who does Arthur want Joan to meet when he takes her to Young Lok Gardens to celebrate?
(a) His parents.
(b) His boss.
(c) Dan and Marlene Pugh.
13. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He tells her he's leaving her.
(b) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
(c) He has a gun.
(d) He listens to her phone conversations.
14. What theme does Joan think she should add to her novels?
(d) Science Fiction.
15. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) She was sick for a long time.
(b) She had a terrible illness.
(c) She died in her sleep.
(d) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan looks in the photograph album, what is wrong with the photos of her father?
2. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
3. What does Terremoto mean in Italian?
4. What title does the publisher give Joan's new book?
5. Who is near Joan's car when she returns from the post office in Terremoto?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)