|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of novels does Joan write?
(a) Children's stories.
(b) Crime mysteries.
(c) Science Fiction.
(d) Costume Gothic novels.
2. What does Joan's father say about how her mother died?
(a) She had a terrible illness.
(b) That she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.
(c) She was sick for a long time.
(d) She died in her sleep.
3. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(b) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
(c) She hears a sound outside on the path.
(d) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
4. Why does Joan show up on Arthur's doorstep and ask to be his roommate?
(a) Joan is evicted from Paul's apartment.
(b) She leaves Paul.
(c) Paul's apartment building burns down.
(d) Paul leaves Joan.
5. Who is the main character in the book?
(a) Leda Sprott.
(b) Joan Foster.
(c) Arthur Foster.
(d) Marlene Pugh.
6. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
(a) Picking up broken pieces of glass.
(b) Fighting off an intruder.
(c) By shaking her awake.
(d) Helping her bandage a cut.
7. Who is the author that Joan reads that makes Paul furious?
(a) EB White.
(b) Bertrand Russell.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) James Joyce.
8. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
(a) They are coworkers.
(b) They are husband and wife.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) They are cousins.
9. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Get a loan from Arthur.
(b) Sell her furniture.
(c) Finish her novel.
(d) Get a loan from the bank.
10. What is the profession of Joan's father?
11. What happens to Joan's hair while she's looking in the mirror in her bedroom when her parents go out?
(a) Falls out.
(b) Turns white.
(c) Catches on fire.
(d) Gets cut.
12. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) He makes gourmet meals himself.
(b) It cheers him up.
(c) They go to expensive restaurants.
(d) He criticizes her.
13. What does Joan remember as her favorite childhood activity?
(a) Watching her mother apply her makeup.
(c) Watching TV.
14. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
(b) He listens to her phone conversations.
(c) He tells her he's leaving her.
(d) He has a gun.
15. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I have a good idea...Why don't we get married?"
2. In Chapter 9, what does Joan believe she excelled at in high school?
3. Who is coming to visit Paul?
4. Where does Joan first meet Arthur?
5. How does Joan feel when she can't find time to write?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)