|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
2. Who does Joan like to go to the movies with?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Aunt Lou.
(d) Her mother.
3. In Chapter 12, how long does it take Joan to write a chapter of her novel?
(a) One month.
(b) Four days.
(c) One week.
(d) An afternoon.
4. Who is Joan named after?
(a) Joan Black.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) Joan Rivers.
(d) Joan Crawford.
5. In Chapter 3, what is the weather when Joan awakens?
(b) The sun is shining.
6. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
(a) Talking loudly.
(b) Sneaking around.
(c) Eating too little.
(d) Taking too long in the bathroom.
7. How does Arthur respond to Joan's bad cooking?
(a) It cheers him up.
(b) He criticizes her.
(c) They go to expensive restaurants.
(d) He makes gourmet meals himself.
8. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Ignores her.
(b) Laughs and hugs her.
(c) Almost faints.
(d) Says hello.
9. What does Joan need to do to earn money so she can return to Canada?
(a) Sell her furniture.
(b) Get a loan from Arthur.
(c) Get a loan from the bank.
(d) Finish her novel.
10. What color is Joan's hair in Chapter 1?
11. Who is the main character in the book?
(a) Arthur Foster.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Joan Foster.
(d) Marlene Pugh.
12. What does Joan eat to make her mother angry?
(a) Too many strawberries.
(b) Six chocolate bars.
(c) An onion.
(d) Half an orange layer cake.
13. How does Joan contact Arthur from Rome?
(b) Postcard with no address or signature.
(d) Telephone call.
14. Who is Mavis Quilp?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) Paul's pseudonym.
(c) Joan's elderly aunt.
(d) Paul's mother.
15. What job does Joan take after high school?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan returns to Arthur's flat in England, who is she surprised to see standing in the middle of the parlor?
2. What does Joan hide from Arthur about her past?
3. How does Joan learn of her mother's death?
4. How does Joan view the two types of people in life?
5. What kind of accident does Joan use to fake her death?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)