|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of novels does Joan write?
(a) Crime mysteries.
(b) Costume Gothic novels.
(c) Science Fiction.
(d) Children's stories.
2. Why does Joan get scared when she's working on her novel in her apartment in Terremoto?
(a) She hears her landlord pounding at her door.
(b) She is scared by the shadows flickering across the wall.
(c) She hears a sound outside on the path.
(d) A tarantula is in her bedroom.
3. Where does Joan visit her father?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At home.
(c) At the hospital.
(d) At the beach.
4. How does Joan react when she sees E.P. Revele?
(a) Says hello.
(b) Ignores her.
(c) Almost faints.
(d) Laughs and hugs her.
5. What is the central health issue of Joan's childhood?
6. Where has Joan met Marlene before?
7. What is Arthur protesting in the park?
(a) Factory closings.
(b) Equal rights.
(c) Banning the bomb.
(d) Fair trade.
8. What does Joan's husband Arthur not like about Joan's clothing choices?
(a) Old sweaters.
(b) Wild colors.
(d) Silk and lace.
9. Who is E.P. Revele?
(a) Mrs. Symons.
(b) Leda Sprott.
(c) Mr. Stewart.
10. Who gets the fortune "It is often best to be oneself."
11. Why does Joan think her book will sell?
(a) Marlene's support.
(b) Good reviews.
(c) Joan's confidence.
(d) Arthur's praise.
12. Why does Joan begin to fear Paul?
(a) He has a gun.
(b) He listens to her phone conversations.
(c) He tells her he's leaving her.
(d) He becomes jealous and begins to follow her.
13. How does Arthur rescue Joan in front of the mirror?
(a) Picking up broken pieces of glass.
(b) Fighting off an intruder.
(c) Helping her bandage a cut.
(d) By shaking her awake.
14. How are Joan and her fictional character similar?
(a) They both have frightening experiences with men.
(b) They like to dance.
(c) They share the same last name.
(d) They both have brothers.
15. What job does Joan love doing at the Sportsmen's Show?
(a) Arrow girl.
(b) Water girl.
(c) Food seller.
(d) Ticket seller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new thing does Joan try in Chapter 10?
2. How does Joan react after her father tells her about her mother's death?
3. What is the relationship between Arthur and Joan?
4. When Joan is brought home by the man who unties her from the tree, what does Joan's mother accuse her of?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Joan's mother chastise her about?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)