|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
2. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
3. What country are Winnie and Helen making plans to travel to in Chapter 25?
4. Who is Mouchou, Sorrowfree?
5. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)