|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
2. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
3. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
4. What does the landlady's dog eat in Chapter 23?
5. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)