|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wrapping paper does Winnie use to wrap Bao-bao and Mimi's wedding gift?
2. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
3. What good news does Winnie learn at the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. Who does Jimmy Louie ask to dance?
5. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the last few hours of Winnie's father's life. How does he manage to get the better of Wen Fu? Does you agree with San Ma's comment that he left Wen Fu a curse? Is this curse an appropriate punishment for Wen Fu's criminal behavior toward Winnie and her father?
Essay Topic 3
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)