Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
2. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
3. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
4. What does the landlady's dog eat in Chapter 23?
5. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
Winnie's story of her life as Wen Fu's wife takes place in a variety of locations. How does she adapt to the different places she stays during the war? Do these locations teach her something new? Choose two settings and compare and contrast their importance in Winnie's life.
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Discuss the ways in which Winnie and Pearl become closer after each reveals her secret. How do they treat each other with more understanding and tolerance? How does Pearl react to learning Wen Fu is most likely her father? What does Winnie do that makes Pearl feel the burden of her illness grows lighter?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)