|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
2. Who makes a promise to accept life without complaint at the end of Chapter 17?
3. On Winnie's visit after the war, what does she say to her aunts as they walk to the marketplace in Tsungming Island?
4. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
5. Who comesfrom Harbin to tell Winnie the news about Danru's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)