|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
2. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
3. Why do the women at Peanut's rooming house like bitter melon?
4. What does Danru present to Old Aunt when he and his mother visit her after the war has ended?
5. What job does Little Yu's mother have at the rooming house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What keeps Winnie determined to create a better life for herself after Wen Fu continually abuses and humiliates her? Does she have a strong sense of hope? How is this hope realized through her determination?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of Lady Sorrowfree to Pearl's life. Why has Winnie chosen this name and created a goddess just for her daughter? What is Pearl's reaction?
Essay Topic 3
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)