|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
2. Who does Winnie see again at a book shop in Shanghai after the war is over?
3. What does Winnie say about Wen Fu after he has men ransack the lawyer's office and tear up the divorce papers?
4. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
5. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which Winnie and Pearl become closer after each reveals her secret. How do they treat each other with more understanding and tolerance? How does Pearl react to learning Wen Fu is most likely her father? What does Winnie do that makes Pearl feel the burden of her illness grows lighter?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)