|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Danu mean?
2. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
3. Who does Winnie think is Pearl's father?
4. Who gives Winnie Peanut's address?
5. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Winnie and Pearl become closer after each reveals her secret. How do they treat each other with more understanding and tolerance? How does Pearl react to learning Wen Fu is most likely her father? What does Winnie do that makes Pearl feel the burden of her illness grows lighter?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)