|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Yiku when she dies?
2. Who thinks Old Aunt has a sickness to match every herb?
3. Where do Winnie and Jimmy send Danru to keep him safe from Wen Fu?
4. What does the landlady's dog eat in Chapter 23?
5. Who does Winnie fear is killed after she lives through a bombing in Kunming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Wen Fu's behavior toward Yiku after she is born. Why is he insulted by her reaction to him? How is his negative behavior heightened by his feelings of humiliation when the hospital staff refuses to serve him? Discuss how Yiku pays the price for his humiliation.
Essay Topic 2
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Essay Topic 3
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)