|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Winnie, where is the best tea in the world?
2. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
3. At the rooming house, who gives Winnie advice on how she can run away from Wen Fu?
4. Who makes a promise to accept life without complaint at the end of Chapter 17?
5. What is in the box that Wen Fu signs for at the telegraph office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Wen Fu's behavior toward Yiku after she is born. Why is he insulted by her reaction to him? How is his negative behavior heightened by his feelings of humiliation when the hospital staff refuses to serve him? Discuss how Yiku pays the price for his humiliation.
Essay Topic 3
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)