|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys a new pair of eye glasses in Chapter 17?
2. What name does Jimmy Louie give Wen Fu?
3. What does Winnie say the Double Seventh day is supposed to be?
4. What gift do Pearl and Phil give Bao-bao and Mimi?
5. What wish does Winnie give her roommates when she leaves jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)