|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
2. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
3. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
4. What does the landlady's dog eat in Chapter 23?
5. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
Essay Topic 1
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Winnie and Pearl become closer after each reveals her secret. How do they treat each other with more understanding and tolerance? How does Pearl react to learning Wen Fu is most likely her father? What does Winnie do that makes Pearl feel the burden of her illness grows lighter?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)