|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret code Jimmy says Winnie should use when she calls to indicate she's ready to run away from Wen Fu?
2. Who does Winnie think is Pearl's father?
3. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
4. Why do the women at Peanut's rooming house like bitter melon?
5. Where do Winnie and Jimmy send Danru to keep him safe from Wen Fu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)