|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Jimmy Louie give Wen Fu?
2. Where do Helen and Winnie go shopping at the end of the novel?
3. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
4. What job does Little Yu's mother have at the rooming house?
5. Who comesfrom Harbin to tell Winnie the news about Danru's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 3
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)