|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesMrs. Liang give Jimmy Louie a photograph of her four daughters?
2. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
3. What are Wen Fu's injuries from the jeep accident?
4. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
5. What gift do Pearl and Phil give Bao-bao and Mimi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
Essay Topic 3
What keeps Winnie determined to create a better life for herself after Wen Fu continually abuses and humiliates her? Does she have a strong sense of hope? How is this hope realized through her determination?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)