|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winnie get her airplane tickets back from Wen Fu?
2. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
3. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
4. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
5. Why do the women at Peanut's rooming house like bitter melon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peanut's circumstances when Winnie visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai. How does Winnie see a more modern woman than the Peanut she knew as a girl? How does Peanut's experience of her marriage and escape give Winnie the courage to run away from Wen Fu?
Essay Topic 3
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)