Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
2. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
3. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
4. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
5. What is spirit money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wen Fu's cruelty toward the man and his pig.
2. How does Wen Fu wreck his new sports car in the cemetery?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
5. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
6. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
7. Why does Winnie send Danru up north to stay with Hulan and Jiaguo?
8. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
9. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
10. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
Essay Topic 1
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)