|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Auntie Miao?
2. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
3. What is the biggest secret between Winnie and Helen?
4. What is Wen Fu doing when Peanut first meets him?
5. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
2. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
3. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
4. How does Winnie show her innocence about marriage?
5. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
6. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
7. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
8. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
9. What does Winnie find when she returns to Tsungming Island to visit her aunts and uncle?
10. Describe Wen Fu's cruelty toward the man and his pig.
Essay Topic 1
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the last few hours of Winnie's father's life. How does he manage to get the better of Wen Fu? Does you agree with San Ma's comment that he left Wen Fu a curse? Is this curse an appropriate punishment for Wen Fu's criminal behavior toward Winnie and her father?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
This section contains 1,660 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)