Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie say she acted like when she was newly married?
2. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
3. What does Wen Fu shoot on the road to Changsha?
4. Why doesn't Winnie want to take her sweater off after church services in Chapter 3?
5. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
2. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
3. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
4. What does Winnie remember best about her mother?
5. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
6. What promises does Winnie make when she is searching for Danru after Kunming is bombed?
7. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
8. What is the relationship between Winnie and Aunt Helen?
9. Describe what Jiagou tells Winnie about Wen Fu's accident in the jeep.
10. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)