|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose cooking does Winnie criticize at the funeral?
2. Where does Winnie sleep when she stays at her father's house before her wedding?
3. Where do Pearl and her family live?
4. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
5. In Chapter 12, what does Wen Fu spend Winnie's dowry money on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
2. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
3. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
4. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
5. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
6. How does Little Yu's mother help Peanut leave her husband?
7. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
8. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
9. Why does Winnie name the statue Lady Sorrowfree?
10. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Winnie receives four thousand yuan as a dowry which she is able to keep for herself. Explain how this dowry money is used throughout the story, in both good and bad ways. In what ways was it most helpful to Winnie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)