|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Auntie Miao?
2. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
3. What color is Winnie's house?
4. Who were the matron of honor and best man at Pearl's wedding?
5. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Peanut refuse to see Wen Fu when he visits her home?
2. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
3. What does Winnie remember best about her mother?
4. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
5. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
6. What does Winnie find Peanut doing in her room at the rooming house in Shanghai?
7. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
8. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
9. What promises does Winnie make when she is searching for Danru after Kunming is bombed?
10. What does Auntie Du leave in her will to Pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)