|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Wen Fu spend Winnie's dowry money on?
2. Who is Phil?
3. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
4. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
5. Who is Wen Fu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie find Peanut doing in her room at the rooming house in Shanghai?
2. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
3. What does Winnie remember best about her mother?
4. Why does Pearl feel silly about participating in the Buddhist ritual of chanting around Auntie Du's casket?
5. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
6. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
7. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
8. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
9. How do the pilot's wives create a bathhouse for their own use?
10. What does Winnie find when she returns to Tsungming Island to visit her aunts and uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Wen Fu's behavior toward Yiku after she is born. Why is he insulted by her reaction to him? How is his negative behavior heightened by his feelings of humiliation when the hospital staff refuses to serve him? Discuss how Yiku pays the price for his humiliation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Winnie learns from her relationship with Gan. Why does she feel she know his heart better than Wen Fu's? Why is it that she claims his love only after he has died?
Essay Topic 3
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)