|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Helen's husband?
2. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
3. What is Bao-bao handing out at Auntie Du's funeral?
4. What is Pearl's mother's name?
5. What is spirit money?
Short Essay Questions
1. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
2. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
3. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
4. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
5. How does Winnie feel about her experience shopping for her dowry?
6. What story does Winnie devise as a reason for why she and Danru are leaving her father's house?
7. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
8. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
9. How does Little Yu's mother help Peanut leave her husband?
10. How is Winnie's father affected by the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)