|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose credentials does Wen Fu use to become a pilot?
2. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
3. What color is Winnie's house?
4. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
5. Where do Hulan and Winnie like to go during thunderstorms in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
2. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
5. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
6. What is Wen Fu's final act toward Winnie, and how does she defend herself?
7. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
8. How does Winnie react when her mother has disappeared and doesn't return to their bedroom?
9. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
10. What kind of items does Helen have in her big bag that she uses for a purse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
Essay Topic 2
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
Essay Topic 3
What keeps Winnie determined to create a better life for herself after Wen Fu continually abuses and humiliates her? Does she have a strong sense of hope? How is this hope realized through her determination?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)