|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winnie's son Samuel work?
2. Who takes Tessa and Cleo out of the funeral parlor?
3. Why does Hulan grow angry with Winnie after the first battle in which some pilots die?
4. How much money does Peanut say she expects to receive from her future family?
5. How old is Auntie Du when she dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Wen Fu's final act toward Winnie, and how does she defend herself?
2. How does Winnie show her innocence about marriage?
3. How do Winnie and Pearl behave differently toward each other after they've shared their secrets?
4. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
5. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
6. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
7. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
8. What does Winnie find Peanut doing in her room at the rooming house in Shanghai?
9. Why does Pearl feel silly about participating in the Buddhist ritual of chanting around Auntie Du's casket?
10. What is the relationship between Winnie and Aunt Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 3
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)