|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wen Fu?
2. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
3. Who is Wen Chen?
4. How much does Jimmy earn as minister of their church in Fresno?
5. What is the biggest secret between Winnie and Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie name the statue Lady Sorrowfree?
2. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
3. How is Winnie's father affected by the war?
4. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
5. What does Auntie Du leave in her will to Pearl?
6. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
7. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
8. How does Wen Fu wreck his new sports car in the cemetery?
9. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
10. Describe what Jiagou tells Winnie about Wen Fu's accident in the jeep.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peanut's circumstances when Winnie visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai. How does Winnie see a more modern woman than the Peanut she knew as a girl? How does Peanut's experience of her marriage and escape give Winnie the courage to run away from Wen Fu?
Essay Topic 3
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)