|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Winnie want to take her sweater off after church services in Chapter 3?
2. What does Hulan break in Chapter 12?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
4. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
5. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
2. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
3. What surprises Pearl at Auntie Du's funeral?
4. How does Winnie respond when she sees Lin outside the church one Sunday?
5. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
6. What is the relationship between Gan and Winnie?
7. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
8. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
9. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
10. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circumstances under which Wen Fu bought an old sports car. How does he end up wrecking it in the cemetery? Why does Winnie laugh uncontrollably when she hears this story and says, "I was so glad for that dead Canonese pilot, riding off to heaven in his claimed-back car"?
This section contains 1,678 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)