|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is training to be a pilot in Chapter 9?
2. What name do Peanut and Winnie use for each other right before Winnie is married?
3. Where do Pearl and her family live?
4. How does Wen Fu behave towards the other pilots when they're playing cards after dinner?
5. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the fortune teller say she can do to change Winnie's bad luck?
2. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
3. What kind of items does Helen have in her big bag that she uses for a purse?
4. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
5. Describe what Jiagou tells Winnie about Wen Fu's accident in the jeep.
6. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
7. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
8. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
9. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
10. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Winnie and Pearl become closer after each reveals her secret. How do they treat each other with more understanding and tolerance? How does Pearl react to learning Wen Fu is most likely her father? What does Winnie do that makes Pearl feel the burden of her illness grows lighter?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Winnie learns from her relationship with Gan. Why does she feel she know his heart better than Wen Fu's? Why is it that she claims his love only after he has died?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)