|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a flattened cheek and a misshapen ear and bows three times to Auntie Du's body?
2. How does Wen Fu behave towards the other pilots when they're playing cards after dinner?
3. Who takes Winnie shopping for her dowry?
4. What does Wen Fu bring Peanut home in?
5. Who were the matron of honor and best man at Pearl's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Winnie show her innocence about marriage?
2. What is Wen Fu's final act toward Winnie, and how does she defend herself?
3. Describe what Jiagou tells Winnie about Wen Fu's accident in the jeep.
4. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
5. What does Winnie remember best about her mother?
6. What does the fortune teller say she can do to change Winnie's bad luck?
7. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
8. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
9. What kind of items does Helen have in her big bag that she uses for a purse?
10. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Winnie's story of her life as Wen Fu's wife takes place in a variety of locations. How does she adapt to the different places she stays during the war? Do these locations teach her something new? Choose two settings and compare and contrast their importance in Winnie's life.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)