|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Winnie want to forget the past?
2. Who is Helen's husband?
3. How much money does Peanut say she expects to receive from her future family?
4. Who tells Winnie gossip about the Wen family business three days before her wedding?
5. Who dies in childbirth while a pilot and Hulan try to help her?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
2. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
3. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
4. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
5. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
6. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
7. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
8. What kind of items does Helen have in her big bag that she uses for a purse?
9. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
10. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Jimmy Louie? How does he show Winnie a true and lasting love? Choose one or two scenes from the novel and discuss how they reflect Jimmy's character and his love for Winnie.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)