|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who learns she is pregnant in Chapter 10?
2. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
3. When Winnie and the others are escaping Nanking, how many suitcases are they allowed to bring?
4. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
5. Why doesn't Winnie want to take her sweater off after church services in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
2. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
3. How do the pilot's wives create a bathhouse for their own use?
4. Why does Pearl no longer like her cousin Mary?
5. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
6. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
7. What does the fortune teller say she can do to change Winnie's bad luck?
8. What is Wen Fu's final act toward Winnie, and how does she defend herself?
9. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
10. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Winnie learns from her relationship with Gan. Why does she feel she know his heart better than Wen Fu's? Why is it that she claims his love only after he has died?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
This section contains 1,686 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)