|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
3. At Auntie Du's funeral, what are Phil and Pearl given when they first enter?
4. What kind of job does Pearl have?
5. Who is Helen's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
2. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
3. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
4. What does Winnie learn about Hulan's marriage when she reads Jiaguo's letter?
5. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
6. Describe Jimmy Louie.
7. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
8. How is Winnie's father affected by the war?
9. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
10. What promises does Winnie make when she is searching for Danru after Kunming is bombed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the significance of Lady Sorrowfree to Pearl's life. Why has Winnie chosen this name and created a goddess just for her daughter? What is Pearl's reaction?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)