Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
2. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
3. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
4. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
5. What is spirit money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wen Fu's cruelty toward the man and his pig.
2. How does Wen Fu wreck his new sports car in the cemetery?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
5. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
6. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
7. Why does Winnie send Danru up north to stay with Hulan and Jiaguo?
8. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
9. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
10. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the circumstances under which Wen Fu bought an old sports car. How does he end up wrecking it in the cemetery? Why does Winnie laugh uncontrollably when she hears this story and says, "I was so glad for that dead Canonese pilot, riding off to heaven in his claimed-back car"?
Essay Topic 3
Winnie often says of Auntie Du that she was a good person. Provide examples from the novel that reflect Auntie Du's kindness and the ways in which she tried to help Winnie at her trial and while she is in prison.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)