|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pearl's real father?
2. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
3. Where do Pearl and her family live?
4. What are the ten items that Winnie saved from her dowry and hides in the lining of her suitcase?
5. What is spirit money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie find Peanut doing in her room at the rooming house in Shanghai?
2. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
3. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
4. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
5. How does Little Yu's mother help Peanut leave her husband?
6. Why does Peanut refuse to see Wen Fu when he visits her home?
7. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
8. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
9. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
10. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Winnie's refusal to back down about the bitter taste of the cabbage dish that Wen Fu makes her eat for two weeks. How is this a bitter cabbage a symbol of Wen Fu and Winnie's marriage? Why does Winnie feel good about her act of defiance against Wen Fu's controlling behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the circumstances under which Wen Fu bought an old sports car. How does he end up wrecking it in the cemetery? Why does Winnie laugh uncontrollably when she hears this story and says, "I was so glad for that dead Canonese pilot, riding off to heaven in his claimed-back car"?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)