|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
2. In Chapter 6, what is Winnie's task on New Year's day?
3. Who delivers Peanut's letters to Wen Fu?
4. What disease does Pearl have?
5. What did they call Betty Wan during wartime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
2. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
3. What does Winnie learn about Hulan's marriage when she reads Jiaguo's letter?
4. How does Wen Fu wreck his new sports car in the cemetery?
5. What actions does Winnie take to help heal Pearl?
6. Why does Peanut refuse to see Wen Fu when he visits her home?
7. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
8. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
9. How does the one dance with Jimmy get Winnie into trouble?
10. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Winnie remember about her mother, particularly the last day she spent with her? How does Winnie's mother's disappearance change the course of Winnie's life? Provide several examples that show how Winnie feels about not having her mother to guide her.
Essay Topic 2
The loss of her three children in China is a great source of pain during Winnie's life. Describe the circumstances of their death and why Winnie feels responsible. Do you agree or disagree with Winnie's feelings of responsibility?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the significance of Lady Sorrowfree to Pearl's life. Why has Winnie chosen this name and created a goddess just for her daughter? What is Pearl's reaction?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)