|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
2. What is the biggest secret between Winnie and Helen?
3. Who steals a pedicab after the Japanese drop leaflets in the market of Nanking?
4. When Winnie and the others are escaping Nanking, how many suitcases are they allowed to bring?
5. In Chapter 6, what is Winnie's task on New Year's day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Winnie and Aunt Helen?
2. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. How does the one dance with Jimmy get Winnie into trouble?
5. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
6. How does Winnie react when her mother has disappeared and doesn't return to their bedroom?
7. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
8. How does Little Yu's mother help Peanut leave her husband?
9. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
10. Describe what Jiagou tells Winnie about Wen Fu's accident in the jeep.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Discuss what Winnie learns from her relationship with Gan. Why does she feel she know his heart better than Wen Fu's? Why is it that she claims his love only after he has died?
Essay Topic 2Discuss the story of the Kitchen God's wife and how it is similar to Winnie's experience with Wen Fu. Why is it important to Winnie that she replaces the kitchen god in the altar given to Pearl?
Essay Topic 3Describe Wen Fu's behavior toward Yiku after she is born. Why is he insulted by her reaction to him? How is his negative behavior heightened by his feelings of humiliation when the hospital staff refuses to serve him? Discuss how Yiku pays the price for his humiliation.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)