|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
2. Where does Winnie's son Samuel work?
3. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
4. What is Wen Fu doing when Peanut first meets him?
5. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie learn about Hulan's marriage when she reads Jiaguo's letter?
2. How do the pilot's wives create a bathhouse for their own use?
3. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
4. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
5. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
6. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
7. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
8. Why does Pearl no longer like her cousin Mary?
9. How does Winnie feel about her experience shopping for her dowry?
10. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)