|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
2. What does Wen Fu bring Peanut home in?
3. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
4. How much money does Peanut say she expects to receive from her future family?
5. How does Wen Fu behave towards the other pilots when they're playing cards after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
2. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
3. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
4. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
5. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
6. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
7. What is the relationship between Winnie and Aunt Helen?
8. What happens when Winnie buys a special fish for dinner to announce her news that she's found a job?
9. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
10. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of friendship do Winnie and Hulan have during the war? Describe a few scenes which show how Winnie and Hulan support each other during the war and overcome their differences. What does each woman give to the friendship that the other truly values?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Peanut's circumstances when Winnie visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai. How does Winnie see a more modern woman than the Peanut she knew as a girl? How does Peanut's experience of her marriage and escape give Winnie the courage to run away from Wen Fu?
Essay Topic 3
What keeps Winnie determined to create a better life for herself after Wen Fu continually abuses and humiliates her? Does she have a strong sense of hope? How is this hope realized through her determination?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)