Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
2. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
3. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
4. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
5. What is spirit money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wen Fu's cruelty toward the man and his pig.
2. How does Wen Fu wreck his new sports car in the cemetery?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. Why does Winnie find it acceptable that Min is living with them?
5. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
6. What kind of gossip does Peanut tell Winnie about the Wens' export business?
7. Why does Winnie send Danru up north to stay with Hulan and Jiaguo?
8. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
9. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
10. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Helen make up the story about having a brain tumor? What makes her tell Pearl it's a hoax, but not her friend Winnie? Do you think it is ironic that Helen uses a lie to get Winnie and Pearl to tell the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the last few hours of Winnie's father's life. How does he manage to get the better of Wen Fu? Does you agree with San Ma's comment that he left Wen Fu a curse? Is this curse an appropriate punishment for Wen Fu's criminal behavior toward Winnie and her father?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)