|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
3. What disease does Pearl have?
4. How old was Winnie when her mother disappeared?
5. What does Roger's nickname, Bao-bao, mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pearl no longer like her cousin Mary?
2. How do Winnie and Pearl behave differently toward each other after they've shared their secrets?
3. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
4. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
5. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
6. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
7. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
8. What happens when Winnie buys a special fish for dinner to announce her news that she's found a job?
9. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
10. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Wen Fu's behavior toward Yiku after she is born. Why is he insulted by her reaction to him? How is his negative behavior heightened by his feelings of humiliation when the hospital staff refuses to serve him? Discuss how Yiku pays the price for his humiliation.
Essay Topic 2
Secrets play an important role in The Kitchen God's Wife. Identify who is keeping secrets and why they are worried about others finding out. How do you think having secrets harms a relationship? Provide specific examples from the novel to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Winnie at first feel bad for Jiaguo that Hulan dominates him? How does her attitude about their marriage change once she understands the events that led up to it? Do you think that Hulan and Jiaguo have a good marriage? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)