|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in childbirth while a pilot and Hulan try to help her?
(a) Winnie's cousin.
(b) Hulan's friend.
(c) Winnie's sister.
(d) Hulan's sister.
2. Who is training to be a pilot in Chapter 9?
(a) Captain Hong.
(c) Mr. Lui.
(d) Wen Fu.
3. Who says "Daddy, there's a lady sleeping up there! And her dinner's on fire!"
4. In Chapter 6, what is Winnie's task on New Year's day?
(a) To mend the family's clothes.
(b) To wash all the dishes.
(c) To tend the animals.
(d) To sweep the courtyard.
5. Who learns she is pregnant in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pearl and her family live?
2. Who is Auntie Miao?
3. Who is Phil?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
5. As a child, what did Pearl carve in the wood of the dressing table in her bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winnie remember best about her mother?
2. What is the relationship between Gan and Winnie?
3. When do Winnie and Hulan first meet?
4. How do the pilot's wives create a bathhouse for their own use?
5. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
6. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
7. Why does Pearl feel silly about participating in the Buddhist ritual of chanting around Auntie Du's casket?
8. Why does Pearl no longer like her cousin Mary?
9. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
10. How do Winnie and Pearl behave differently toward each other after they've shared their secrets?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)