|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Winnie's mother leave behind when she disappeared?
(a) A warning to be careful.
(b) A three-foot lock of hair.
(c) A recipe for a fish dish.
(d) A letter to Winnie.
2. At Auntie Du's funeral, what are Phil and Pearl given when they first enter?
(a) Black armbands.
(c) Parking stub.
(d) Quilt pieces.
3. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
(a) Love letters from her first boyfriend.
(b) Old photo albums.
(c) Secret Treasures box.
(d) Dust bunnies.
4. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
(a) They remind her of the escape from Nanking.
(b) They are too expensive.
(c) She can't find them where she lives.
(d) She is allergic to them.
5. Whose credentials does Wen Fu use to become a pilot?
(a) His father's.
(b) His dead brother's.
(c) A dead cousin's.
(d) A neighbor's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Winnie's mother's hair?
2. Where does Winnie's son Samuel work?
3. Why does Hulan grow angry with Winnie after the first battle in which some pilots die?
4. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
5. What color is Winnie's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Auntie Du bought three pounds of tea?
2. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
3. How does Winnie react when her mother has disappeared and doesn't return to their bedroom?
4. Describe Jimmy Louie.
5. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
6. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
7. What does the fortune teller say she can do to change Winnie's bad luck?
8. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
9. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
10. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)