|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was Winnie's mother's hair?
(a) Very black with two white hairs.
2. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
3. In Chapter 3, how old is the fish that Helen wants to buy at Happy Super?
(a) Just caught.
(b) Three days old.
(c) Four days old.
(d) One day old.
4. What is the biggest secret between Winnie and Helen?
(a) Helen grew up in San Francisco.
(b) Helen is her daughter.
(c) That Helen is not her sister-in-law.
(d) Helen is her cousin.
5. At the market in Nanking, what do Winnie and Hulan buy just before the Japanese planes fly over, dropping leaflets and causing panic?
(b) Snow cones.
(d) Roasted chestnuts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Auntie Du when she dies?
2. Who says he saw a ghost who told him he would experience nine bad fates before he died?
3. Where do Hulan and Winnie go to meet up with their husbands in Chapter 11?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
5. How much spirit money did Mr. Hong give to Pearl before Auntie Du's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
2. What do the telegrams say that Winnie and Jimmy send to each other after Winnie is released from jail?
3. How does Little Yu's mother help Peanut leave her husband?
4. How does Winnie feel about her experience shopping for her dowry?
5. Why does Peanut refuse to see Wen Fu when he visits her home?
6. Why does Winnie send Danru up north to stay with Hulan and Jiaguo?
7. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
8. What promises does Winnie make when she is searching for Danru after Kunming is bombed?
9. How do the pilot's wives create a bathhouse for their own use?
10. How does Winnie react when her mother has disappeared and doesn't return to their bedroom?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)