|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
(a) A mole.
(b) A speck of dirt.
(c) A cyst.
(d) Her bangs.
2. Who takes Tessa and Cleo out of the funeral parlor?
(d) Uncle Henry.
3. What does Winnie do in Chapter 4 to forget the news in Betty's letter?
(a) She cleans her house all night.
(b) Watches TV.
(c) Goes to the movies.
(d) Listens to the radio.
4. Who has a flattened cheek and a misshapen ear and bows three times to Auntie Du's body?
(a) Mary's cousin.
(b) Mr. Hwong.
(c) Older monk.
5. Which uncle tells a story about a newlywed couple in Chapter 8?
(a) Uncle Henry.
(b) Turtle Uncle.
(c) Uncle Gong.
(d) Uncle Sam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
2. Where do Hulan and Winnie go to meet up with their husbands in Chapter 11?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
4. What are the ten items that Winnie saved from her dowry and hides in the lining of her suitcase?
5. What does Winnie feed to Pearl when she visits in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
2. Why does Jiaguo consider having to court martial Wen Fu after a battle with Japanese planes outside of Nanking?
3. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
4. How does Hulan know that Winnie is pregnant even before Winnie does?
5. What happens to Winnie's dowry once she is married?
6. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
7. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
8. Why is Winnie arrested and jailed?
9. Why does Winnie name her child Danru?
10. How does Winnie show her innocence about marriage?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)