|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Winnie's favorite piece of furniture that she bought for her dowry?
(a) Lawn furniture.
(c) Vanity with a brocade bench.
(d) Chamber pots.
2. What do Tessa and Cleo call their grandmother Winnie?
3. Who says "Daddy, there's a lady sleeping up there! And her dinner's on fire!"
4. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
(a) That she has a new grandson.
(b) To come visit her in Hong Kong.
(c) That Wen Fu is dead.
(d) To remind her of her birthday.
5. Who is training to be a pilot in Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Lui.
(c) Wen Fu.
(d) Captain Hong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Lin have?
2. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
3. Whose cooking does Winnie criticize at the funeral?
4. What does Wen Fu shoot on the road to Changsha?
5. What does Roger's nickname, Bao-bao, mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Auntie Du bought three pounds of tea?
2. Why does Pearl keep her multiple sclerosis a secret from her mother?
3. What is the relationship between Helen and Winnie?
4. Why does Winnie want to open the Secret Treasures box she finds under Pearl's bed?
5. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
6. How does the one dance with Jimmy get Winnie into trouble?
7. Describe how Wen Fu takes over Winnie's father's house.
8. How do Winnie and Pearl behave differently toward each other after they've shared their secrets?
9. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
10. What does Winnie find when she returns to Tsungming Island to visit her aunts and uncle?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)