|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
(a) Greetings from you friend.
(b) Great happiness.
(c) A big tidal wave.
(d) That terrible danger is coming.
2. What did they call Betty Wan during wartime?
(a) Big Betty.
(b) Baby Betty.
(c) Bratty Betty.
(d) Beautiful Betty.
3. Who is Helen's husband?
(b) Long Jiaguo.
4. In Chapter 12, what does Wen Fu spend Winnie's dowry money on?
(a) An old sports car.
5. What is Bao-bao handing out at Auntie Du's funeral?
(a) List of gift ideas.
(b) Spirit money and candy.
(c) Invitations to his wedding.
(d) Song sheets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wen Fu?
2. How old is Auntie Du when she dies?
3. How old was Winnie when her mother disappeared?
4. Who steals a pedicab after the Japanese drop leaflets in the market of Nanking?
5. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Winnie and Pearl behave differently toward each other after they've shared their secrets?
2. What is the relationship between Winnie and Aunt Helen?
3. When Helen is bragging about her son to Winnie at the beginning of Chapter 4, what is Winnie's reaction?
4. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
5. How does having multiple sclerosis affect Pearl's daily life?
6. Why is Winnie so mad at Helen for buying a three-day-old fish?
7. In the pavilion on the day it rains, what secret about her sister does Hulan share with Winnie?
8. Why does Pearl keep her multiple sclerosis a secret from her mother?
9. What does Winnie find when she returns to Tsungming Island to visit her aunts and uncle?
10. Describe Jimmy Louie.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)