|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Wen Fu?
(a) Winnie's first husband.
(b) Winnie's friend.
(c) The local doctor.
(d) A business competitor.
2. At the market in Nanking, what do Winnie and Hulan buy just before the Japanese planes fly over, dropping leaflets and causing panic?
(a) Snow cones.
(d) Roasted chestnuts.
3. What does Winnie think of Helen?
(a) She loves spending time with her.
(b) She is pretty.
(c) She is smart.
(d) She doesn't enjoy her company, opinions, or character.
4. What does Hulan break in Chapter 12?
5. What is spirit money?
(a) Money that pays for the wreaths.
(b) Money for giving to the church.
(c) Play money the dead use to bribe their way into heaven.
(d) Real money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job does Pearl have?
2. What does Winnie feed to Pearl when she visits in Chapter 5?
3. Who is training to be a pilot in Chapter 9?
4. At Auntie Du's funeral, what are Phil and Pearl given when they first enter?
5. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Gan and Winnie?
2. The white leaflets that the Japanese drop from their planes over Nanking when Winnie and Hulan are at the market say what?
3. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
4. Why does Winnie believe she killed her unborn baby when she drops the scissors?
5. What does Auntie Du leave in her will to Pearl?
6. What promises does Winnie make when she is searching for Danru after Kunming is bombed?
7. Why does Pearl no longer like her cousin Mary?
8. What is Wen Fu's final act toward Winnie, and how does she defend herself?
9. What does Winnie find when she returns to Tsungming Island to visit her aunts and uncle?
10. How does Winnie respond when she sees Lin outside the church one Sunday?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)