|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
(a) That she has a new grandson.
(b) That Wen Fu is dead.
(c) To remind her of her birthday.
(d) To come visit her in Hong Kong.
2. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
(a) That terrible danger is coming.
(b) A big tidal wave.
(c) Greetings from you friend.
(d) Great happiness.
3. Who learns she is pregnant in Chapter 10?
4. Where do Pearl and her family live?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) San Jose.
5. What disease does Pearl have?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(b) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Helen's husband?
2. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
3. What does Winnie think of Helen?
4. What is Bao-bao handing out at Auntie Du's funeral?
5. At the end of Chapter 10, where do the pilots fight their first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Pearl at Auntie Du's funeral?
2. What happens when Pearl realizes that Wen Fu is her biological father?
3. How is Winnie's father affected by the war?
4. Why does Winnie send Danru up north to stay with Hulan and Jiaguo?
5. How does Winnie respond when she sees Lin outside the church one Sunday?
6. What is Wen Fu's role in Yiku's death?
7. What does Jimmy Louie tell Winnie about who he wants to marry when they have tea together in Shanghai?
8. How does Winnie think about her past as a stain on her life?
9. When Winnie confronts Wen Fu about abusing the servant girl, what does Wen Fu do to Yiku?
10. What happens when Winnie tells her father she must leave her marriage?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)