|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Winnie get her airplane tickets back from Wen Fu?
(a) Threatens to shoot him.
(b) Grabs them when he's not looking.
(c) Blinds him with mace.
(d) Knocks him out.
2. On Winnie's visit after the war, what does she say to her aunts as they walk to the marketplace in Tsungming Island?
(a) They didn't love her enough.
(b) She'll see them again soon.
(c) She wants to visit Peanut.
(d) She misses her mother.
3. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
(d) Mrs. Hong.
4. Who is Jimmy Louie?
(a) Wen Fu's cousin.
(b) Hulan's brother.
(c) Friend of Jiaguo.
(d) Chinese-American translator.
5. What does Winnie say about Wen Fu after he has men ransack the lawyer's office and tear up the divorce papers?
(a) He's joking.
(b) She thinks he is a gangster.
(c) He forgets to water the plants.
(d) He's good to her.
6. What does the name Danu mean?
7. What does Hulan give Winnie as a parting gift before they leave Kunming once the war has ended?
(b) Knitting needles.
(c) Rice cakes.
8. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A long weekend.
(d) One week.
9. What does Winnie think that Wen Fu will do to her father if she leaves him?
(a) Stop feeding him.
(b) Have him killed as a traitor.
(c) Send him to his relatives.
(d) Lock him in his room.
10. Where do Winnie and Jimmy send Danru to keep him safe from Wen Fu?
(a) To Hulan and Jiaguo's home in the north.
(b) To Peanut's rooming house.
(c) To Old Aunt.
(d) To a small cottage in the countryside.
11. When Winnie tells her father that she must leave her marriage, what does he give her?
(a) The antique scroll.
(b) Paper money.
(c) Three gold ingots.
(d) Her mother's jewelry.
12. What good news does Winnie learn at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Wen Fu is in jail.
(b) Her dowry is replenished.
(c) Her mother is alive.
(d) The war is over.
13. Who throws a cup of tea at an ancient painting when the Japanese visit him at his home?
(a) Wen Fu.
(b) Peanut's father.
(c) Winnie's father.
14. Who is Mouchou, Sorrowfree?
(a) Winnie's stillborn baby.
(b) Hulan's baby.
(c) Wen Fu's cousin.
(d) Winnie's grandmother.
15. What job does Little Yu's mother have at the rooming house?
(a) Draws pictures.
(c) Reads aloud to the women
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Min's job in Shanghai?
2. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
3. Who tells Winnie that Min is a sister of a pilot friend who has nowhere to stay?
4. According to Winnie, where is the best tea in the world?
5. At the rooming house, who gives Winnie advice on how she can run away from Wen Fu?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)