|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie drop when she's singing to her baby in Chapter 14?
2. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
(a) Pork and cabbage.
(c) Chicken and leeks.
(d) Beef and radishes.
3. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
(b) Radish eaters.
(d) Respected ones.
4. Who buys a new pair of eye glasses in Chapter 17?
(c) Wen Fu.
5. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
(d) Hair ribbons.
6. What are Wen Fu's injuries from the jeep accident?
(a) Head injury and blinded in one eye.
(b) Broken leg.
(c) Cracked ribs and broken ankle.
7. Who is Kuang An?
(a) The guard.
(b) Hulan's second husband.
(c) Winnie's lawyer.
(d) Jimmy's friend.
8. What good news does Winnie learn at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) The war is over.
(b) Wen Fu is in jail.
(c) Her dowry is replenished.
(d) Her mother is alive.
9. What does Helen tell Pearl about her brain tumor?
(a) It hurts her head.
(b) It's growing.
(c) She made it up.
(d) It's shrinking.
10. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
(a) Mrs. Hong.
11. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
(b) Hot water.
12. What is in the box that Wen Fu signs for at the telegraph office?
(d) Dried cakes of donkey dung.
13. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
(a) She's splashed by a bicyclist.
(b) She's photographed.
(c) She's arrested and put in jail.
(d) A big wind ruins her hair.
14. What do the Red Cross send to the dance in Chapter 18?
(a) Ice cream.
(d) Christmas tree.
15. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
(a) She is asking about Peanut.
(b) Her health is not so good and she needs to visit her.
(c) She doesn't want any visitors.
(d) She is in good spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Danu mean?
2. According to Winnie, where is the best tea in the world?
3. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
4. What country are Winnie and Helen making plans to travel to in Chapter 25?
5. How does the city of Kunming warn people that Japanese planes are coming?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)