|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who throws a cup of tea at an ancient painting when the Japanese visit him at his home?
(b) Peanut's father.
(c) Winnie's father.
(d) Wen Fu.
2. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
(a) Mrs. Hong.
3. How old is Yiku when she dies?
(a) Six months.
(b) Seventeen months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
4. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
5. What does Helen tell Winnie about the fish she brought home from Bao-bao's reception?
(a) Winnie was right about it not tasting good the next day.
(b) As good as it was the day of the wedding.
(c) It was delicious.
(d) Very tender.
6. What is the secret code Jimmy says Winnie should use when she calls to indicate she's ready to run away from Wen Fu?
(a) "Blue skies smile on us."
(b) "The lake is frozen."
(c) "Open the door, you can already see the mountain."
(d) "Shut the window, don't let the air in."
7. What name does Winnie give the statue she bought for Pearl's altar?
(a) Mrs. Kitchen God.
(b) Lady Sorrowfree.
(c) Helpful Buddha.
(d) Goddess of Mercy.
8. Who does Winnie go to live with when she runs away from Wen Fu?
(a) Jimmy Louie.
(b) Old Aunt.
(c) Aunt Du.
9. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
(b) Beef and radishes.
(c) Pork and cabbage.
(d) Chicken and leeks.
10. Where do Winnie and Jimmy send Danru to keep him safe from Wen Fu?
(a) To a small cottage in the countryside.
(b) To Peanut's rooming house.
(c) To Hulan and Jiaguo's home in the north.
(d) To Old Aunt.
11. What does Winnie drop when she's singing to her baby in Chapter 14?
12. Who does Winnie see again at a book shop in Shanghai after the war is over?
(a) Old Aunt.
(b) Jimmy Louie.
13. What was Min's job in Shanghai?
(c) As a laundress.
(d) A shopkeeper in the market.
14. Why does Wen Fu have an accident when he is driving the stolen jeep?
(a) He crashes into a truck.
(b) The jeep loses brake power.
(c) His gas tank explodes.
(d) He is driving too fast.
15. What does Wen Fu do when Yiku gets sick on the Double Seventh day?
(a) Immediately brings her to the hospital.
(b) Takes care of her himself.
(c) Escorts the doctor to his home.
(d) Won't let the doctor go to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name Danu mean?
2. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
3. Why doesMrs. Liang give Jimmy Louie a photograph of her four daughters?
4. What do the Red Cross send to the dance in Chapter 18?
5. Who is having a second honeymoon in Chapter 26?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)