|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Winnie see again at a book shop in Shanghai after the war is over?
(a) Jimmy Louie.
(d) Old Aunt.
2. Why do the women at Peanut's rooming house like bitter melon?
(a) It is a rare fruit.
(b) For the conversation that comes with it.
(c) It is juicy.
(d) It tastes sweet.
3. How does Winnie get her airplane tickets back from Wen Fu?
(a) Grabs them when he's not looking.
(b) Threatens to shoot him.
(c) Blinds him with mace.
(d) Knocks him out.
4. Where does Winnie first see Min?
(a) Sleeping in her bed.
(b) At the marketplace.
(c) At a play.
(d) In the hospital.
5. What are Wen Fu's injuries from the jeep accident?
(a) Cracked ribs and broken ankle.
(b) Broken leg.
(c) Head injury and blinded in one eye.
6. Who is Mouchou, Sorrowfree?
(a) Winnie's grandmother.
(b) Winnie's stillborn baby.
(c) Hulan's baby.
(d) Wen Fu's cousin.
7. What does Winnie think that Wen Fu will do to her father if she leaves him?
(a) Send him to his relatives.
(b) Stop feeding him.
(c) Lock him in his room.
(d) Have him killed as a traitor.
8. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
(a) A long weekend.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
9. Why does Wen Fu have an accident when he is driving the stolen jeep?
(a) He is driving too fast.
(b) His gas tank explodes.
(c) The jeep loses brake power.
(d) He crashes into a truck.
10. Who is Kuang An?
(a) The guard.
(b) Hulan's second husband.
(c) Winnie's lawyer.
(d) Jimmy's friend.
11. Who buys a new pair of eye glasses in Chapter 17?
(a) Wen Fu.
12. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
(c) Respected ones.
(d) Radish eaters.
13. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
14. In Chapter 15, who destroys the hospital kitchen in anger because they won't serve him?
(b) Wen Fu.
(c) Mr. Lui.
15. Who does Jimmy Louie ask to dance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
2. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
3. When Hulan receives a letter from Jiaguo while she's living in Kunming, who reads it to her?
4. Who tells Winnie that Min is a sister of a pilot friend who has nowhere to stay?
5. What does Winnie remember that she has stashed away in her suitcase lining when Aunt Du says they haven't eaten well in months?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)