|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hulan receives a letter from Jiaguo while she's living in Kunming, who reads it to her?
(a) Wen Fu.
(b) Aunt Du.
(c) Mr. Ma.
2. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
3. What does Yiku mean?
(a) Peace and love.
(b) Pleasure over bitterness.
(c) Laughter and love.
4. Who is Danu?
(a) Winnie and Wen Fu's third child.
(b) Min's daughter.
(c) Hulan's cousin.
(d) Auntie Du's brother.
5. What does Helen tell Pearl about her brain tumor?
(a) It hurts her head.
(b) It's growing.
(c) She made it up.
(d) It's shrinking.
6. Where does Winnie first see Min?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At a play.
(c) Sleeping in her bed.
(d) At the marketplace.
7. Who says, "my husband was zibuyong"?
(c) Little Yu.
8. What is an "Air Mail Special"?
(a) International title.
(b) Post Office service.
(c) A lindy-hop song.
(d) Air force joke.
9. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
10. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
(a) A big wind ruins her hair.
(b) She's splashed by a bicyclist.
(c) She's photographed.
(d) She's arrested and put in jail.
11. Who thinks Old Aunt has a sickness to match every herb?
(a) Winnie's father.
(c) Wen Fu's mother.
12. Who throws a cup of tea at an ancient painting when the Japanese visit him at his home?
(a) Peanut's father.
(b) Winnie's father.
(d) Wen Fu.
13. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
14. What does Winnie say the Double Seventh day is supposed to be?
(a) A lucky day.
(b) The coolest day.
(c) A sunny day.
(d) A day of rain.
15. What country are Winnie and Helen making plans to travel to in Chapter 25?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
2. Who does Winnie see again at a book shop in Shanghai after the war is over?
3. What was Min's job in Shanghai?
4. On Winnie's visit after the war, what does she say to her aunts as they walk to the marketplace in Tsungming Island?
5. Who makes a promise to accept life without complaint at the end of Chapter 17?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)