|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the city of Kunming warn people that Japanese planes are coming?
(b) Posting warnings.
(c) Closing city hall.
(d) Sirens and loudspeakers.
2. What wish does Winnie give her roommates when she leaves jail?
(a) That they have a better life.
(b) To wish her well.
(c) That she will set them free.
(d) To eat well.
3. Where do Helen and Winnie go shopping at the end of the novel?
(a) Mr. Wong's tea shop.
(b) Sam Fook Trading Company.
(c) The chinese dress shop.
(d) The cookie factory.
4. Who comesfrom Harbin to tell Winnie the news about Danru's death?
(b) Aunt Du.
5. What country are Winnie and Helen making plans to travel to in Chapter 25?
6. What do the Red Cross send to the dance in Chapter 18?
(b) Christmas tree.
(d) Ice cream.
7. What does Hulan give Winnie as a parting gift before they leave Kunming once the war has ended?
(a) Rice cakes.
(b) Knitting needles.
8. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
(a) American victory dance.
(b) Chinese New Year dance.
(c) Min's nighclub party.
(d) Wedding celebration.
9. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
(a) One week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A long weekend.
(d) Three days.
10. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
(a) Mrs. Hong.
11. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
(a) She's arrested and put in jail.
(b) She's splashed by a bicyclist.
(c) A big wind ruins her hair.
(d) She's photographed.
12. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
(b) Hair ribbons.
13. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
(a) Pork and cabbage.
(c) Chicken and leeks.
(d) Beef and radishes.
14. Who is Jimmy Louie?
(a) Wen Fu's cousin.
(b) Hulan's brother.
(c) Friend of Jiaguo.
(d) Chinese-American translator.
15. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Min's job in Shanghai?
2. Why does Wen Fu have an accident when he is driving the stolen jeep?
3. Who does Jimmy Louie ask to dance?
4. How old is Winnie when the war ends?
5. At the rooming house, who gives Winnie advice on how she can run away from Wen Fu?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)