|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Winnie tells her father that she must leave her marriage, what does he give her?
(a) Paper money.
(b) Three gold ingots.
(c) The antique scroll.
(d) Her mother's jewelry.
2. What does Danru present to Old Aunt when he and his mother visit her after the war has ended?
(a) Ginseng root.
3. What does Helen tell Pearl about her brain tumor?
(a) It's shrinking.
(b) It hurts her head.
(c) It's growing.
(d) She made it up.
4. What does Hulan give Winnie as a parting gift before they leave Kunming once the war has ended?
(b) Rice cakes.
(d) Knitting needles.
5. Who is Kuang An?
(a) The guard.
(b) Winnie's lawyer.
(c) Jimmy's friend.
(d) Hulan's second husband.
6. What wrapping paper does Winnie use to wrap Bao-bao and Mimi's wedding gift?
(a) Silver paper.
(b) Brown wrapping paper.
(c) Red Christmas paper.
(d) Chinese paper.
7. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
(a) Wedding celebration.
(b) Min's nighclub party.
(c) Chinese New Year dance.
(d) American victory dance.
8. What does Winnie remember that she has stashed away in her suitcase lining when Aunt Du says they haven't eaten well in months?
(a) Dried apricots.
(b) The silver chopsticks.
(c) Savings bonds.
(d) More money.
9. What does Yiku mean?
(b) Peace and love.
(c) Pleasure over bitterness.
(d) Laughter and love.
10. On the day Winnie runs away, what does she tell her mother-in-law about Old Aunt?
(a) Her health is not so good and she needs to visit her.
(b) She is asking about Peanut.
(c) She doesn't want any visitors.
(d) She is in good spirits.
11. What job does Little Yu's mother have at the rooming house?
(a) Reads aloud to the women
(d) Draws pictures.
12. Who does Winnie think is Pearl's father?
(b) Wen Fu.
13. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
14. In Chapter 15, who destroys the hospital kitchen in anger because they won't serve him?
(b) Mr. Lui.
(d) Wen Fu.
15. What food does Wen Fu have the cook prepare for two weeks straight that Winnie says is bitter?
(a) Beef and radishes.
(c) Chicken and leeks.
(d) Pork and cabbage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
2. What gift do Pearl and Phil give Bao-bao and Mimi?
3. Why doesMrs. Liang give Jimmy Louie a photograph of her four daughters?
4. What is an "Air Mail Special"?
5. Where do Helen and Winnie go shopping at the end of the novel?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)