|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen tell Pearl about her brain tumor?
(a) It's shrinking.
(b) It hurts her head.
(c) She made it up.
(d) It's growing.
2. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
(a) Wedding celebration.
(b) Chinese New Year dance.
(c) American victory dance.
(d) Min's nighclub party.
3. What do the Red Cross send to the dance in Chapter 18?
(b) Ice cream.
(c) Christmas tree.
4. Who is Jimmy Louie?
(a) Hulan's brother.
(b) Friend of Jiaguo.
(c) Chinese-American translator.
(d) Wen Fu's cousin.
5. What does Winnie say about Wen Fu after he has men ransack the lawyer's office and tear up the divorce papers?
(a) He's joking.
(b) She thinks he is a gangster.
(c) He forgets to water the plants.
(d) He's good to her.
6. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
(c) Hair ribbons.
7. What does Hulan give Winnie as a parting gift before they leave Kunming once the war has ended?
(a) Knitting needles.
(b) Rice cakes.
8. What happens to Winnie when she comes out of the beauty parlor in Chapter 23?
(a) She's splashed by a bicyclist.
(b) She's photographed.
(c) A big wind ruins her hair.
(d) She's arrested and put in jail.
9. What does Winnie say the Double Seventh day is supposed to be?
(a) The coolest day.
(b) A day of rain.
(c) A lucky day.
(d) A sunny day.
10. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
(a) The man who bought the table.
(b) Wen Fu's father.
(c) Wen Fu.
(d) Winnie's father.
11. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
12. Who does Winnie fear is killed after she lives through a bombing in Kunming?
(b) Aunt Du.
(c) The cook.
(d) Her servant.
13. What good news does Winnie learn at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Her mother is alive.
(b) Her dowry is replenished.
(c) Wen Fu is in jail.
(d) The war is over.
14. What was Min's job in Shanghai?
(b) A shopkeeper in the market.
(c) As a laundress.
15. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Winnie get her airplane tickets back from Wen Fu?
2. What name does Winnie give the statue she bought for Pearl's altar?
3. What does Wen Fu do when Yiku gets sick on the Double Seventh day?
4. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
5. What does Helen tell Winnie about the fish she brought home from Bao-bao's reception?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)