|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Winnie tells her father that she must leave her marriage, what does he give her?
(a) Three gold ingots.
(b) Paper money.
(c) Her mother's jewelry.
(d) The antique scroll.
2. What does Winnie give Peanut when she visits her at the rooming house in Shanghai?
(c) Hair ribbons.
3. Who gives Pearl herbal pads to place on her arms and legs?
(d) Mrs. Hong.
4. What does Winnie say about Wen Fu after he has men ransack the lawyer's office and tear up the divorce papers?
(a) She thinks he is a gangster.
(b) He's joking.
(c) He forgets to water the plants.
(d) He's good to her.
5. What does Winnie drop when she's singing to her baby in Chapter 14?
6. Who is pregnant and comes to visit Winnie in jail?
7. Where do Winnie and Jimmy send Danru to keep him safe from Wen Fu?
(a) To Peanut's rooming house.
(b) To Hulan and Jiaguo's home in the north.
(c) To a small cottage in the countryside.
(d) To Old Aunt.
8. Who breaks the table legs in half so it is small enough to get out of Jiang Sao-yen's study?
(a) Wen Fu's father.
(b) Winnie's father.
(c) Wen Fu.
(d) The man who bought the table.
9. How long do Winnie and Danru stay at her uncle's house when they visit after the war?
(a) One week.
(b) Three days.
(c) A long weekend.
(d) Two weeks.
10. How old is Winnie when the war ends?
11. What season is depicted in the ancient scroll that Winnie's father throws tea at?
12. What color is the cloth that Winnie gives to Hulan after she convinces Jiaguo not to charge Wen Fu for driving the jeep without permission?
13. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
(b) Hot water.
14. Where do Helen and Winnie go shopping at the end of the novel?
(a) Mr. Wong's tea shop.
(b) The chinese dress shop.
(c) Sam Fook Trading Company.
(d) The cookie factory.
15. When Hulan receives a letter from Jiaguo while she's living in Kunming, who reads it to her?
(a) Aunt Du.
(b) Wen Fu.
(d) Mr. Ma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that Wen Fu signs for at the telegraph office?
2. Who is Min?
3. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
4. What name does Winnie give the statue she bought for Pearl's altar?
5. How does Winnie get her airplane tickets back from Wen Fu?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)