|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is having a second honeymoon in Chapter 26?
(a) Henry and Helen.
(b) Mary and Doug.
(c) Joe and Sally.
(d) Pearl and Phil.
2. What does San Ma call the Japanese who took over businesses in Shanghai during the war?
(a) Radish eaters.
(d) Respected ones.
3. Who makes a promise to accept life without complaint at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) Aunt Du.
4. What does Old Aunt send to Peanut when Winnie visits her rooming house in Shanghai?
(b) A small silver mirror.
(d) Face powder.
5. When Winnie tells her father that she must leave her marriage, what does he give her?
(a) Paper money.
(b) The antique scroll.
(c) Her mother's jewelry.
(d) Three gold ingots.
6. What kind of dance do Winnie and Hulan attend around Christmas, 1941?
(a) Wedding celebration.
(b) American victory dance.
(c) Chinese New Year dance.
(d) Min's nighclub party.
7. What does the name Danu mean?
8. Where do Helen and Winnie go shopping at the end of the novel?
(a) Mr. Wong's tea shop.
(b) The chinese dress shop.
(c) Sam Fook Trading Company.
(d) The cookie factory.
9. What does Winnie tell Pearl she should drink three or four times a day to help cure her multiple sclerosis?
(c) Hot water.
10. Why do the women at Peanut's rooming house like bitter melon?
(a) It is a rare fruit.
(b) It tastes sweet.
(c) For the conversation that comes with it.
(d) It is juicy.
11. What name does Winnie give the statue she bought for Pearl's altar?
(a) Goddess of Mercy.
(b) Mrs. Kitchen God.
(c) Helpful Buddha.
(d) Lady Sorrowfree.
12. How many servants does Winnie hire before she has to take care of Wen Fu herself as he recovers from his jeep accident?
13. Who gives Winnie Peanut's address?
(a) Little Gong.
(b) The cook.
(d) New Aunt.
14. What does Winnie say about Wen Fu after he has men ransack the lawyer's office and tear up the divorce papers?
(a) He's good to her.
(b) He's joking.
(c) He forgets to water the plants.
(d) She thinks he is a gangster.
15. What does Danru present to Old Aunt when he and his mother visit her after the war has ended?
(c) Ginseng root.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the rooming house, who gives Winnie advice on how she can run away from Wen Fu?
2. How does the city of Kunming warn people that Japanese planes are coming?
3. What does Winnie think that Wen Fu will do to her father if she leaves him?
4. What job does Little Yu's mother have at the rooming house?
5. What is in the box that Wen Fu signs for at the telegraph office?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)