|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
(a) It's the first time she's seen it.
(b) She wishes it would go away.
(c) The snow is best for snowmen.
(d) It reminds her of her childhood.
2. Who dies in childbirth while a pilot and Hulan try to help her?
(a) Winnie's sister.
(b) Hulan's friend.
(c) Winnie's cousin.
(d) Hulan's sister.
3. What is Wen Fu doing when Peanut first meets him?
(a) Talking with government officials.
(b) An actor asking for a donation.
(c) Selling candy.
(d) Reading a book.
4. Whose credentials does Wen Fu use to become a pilot?
(a) A dead cousin's.
(b) His dead brother's.
(c) A neighbor's.
(d) His father's.
5. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
(a) A big tidal wave.
(b) Greetings from you friend.
(c) That terrible danger is coming.
(d) Great happiness.
6. Why does Hulan grow angry with Winnie after the first battle in which some pilots die?
(a) Winnie is always cursing the future with her words.
(b) Winnie laughs at her.
(c) Winnie thinks she's better than Hulan.
(d) Winnie has used up all her flour.
7. Who is Pearl's real father?
(b) Robert Davis.
(c) Wen Fu.
(d) Uncle Henry.
8. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Seven days.
9. What does Hulan break in Chapter 12?
10. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) Average luck.
(c) Good luck.
(d) No luck.
11. In Chapter 3, how old is the fish that Helen wants to buy at Happy Super?
(a) Three days old.
(b) Just caught.
(c) Four days old.
(d) One day old.
12. Why doesn't Winnie want to forget the past?
(a) She had the best life in China.
(b) It still holds lessons for her.
(c) It was an enjoyable time.
(d) She misses it so much.
13. What disease does Pearl have?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(c) Heart disease.
14. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
(a) Syin ke.
(b) Big baby.
(c) Wah-wah yu.
(d) Little one.
15. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
(a) Public school.
(b) Boarding school in Hong Kong.
(c) A missionary school.
(d) At home by tutors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest secret between Winnie and Helen?
2. Who learns she is pregnant in Chapter 10?
3. Who does Winnie give her sewing machine to as she leaves Nanking?
4. Who is Pearl's least favorite cousin?
5. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)