|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
(a) Wah-wah yu.
(b) Little one.
(c) Big baby.
(d) Syin ke.
2. Who is Auntie Miao?
(a) Peanut's aunt.
(b) The matchmaker.
(c) Winnie's mother.
(d) Helen's cousin.
3. Who does Aunt Helen say Pearl needs to tell about her disease?
(b) Her doctor.
(d) Her mother.
4. What disease does Pearl have?
(a) Heart disease.
(c) Multiple Sclerosis.
5. Who says "Daddy, there's a lady sleeping up there! And her dinner's on fire!"
6. How old is Bao-bao when he gets engaged for the third time?
7. Who does Winnie give her sewing machine to as she leaves Nanking?
(a) The servant.
(b) Mr. Ma.
(d) Wan Betty.
8. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
(a) Three days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Two days.
9. What surprises Pearl about Auntie Du's casket?
(a) It has lots of gold on it.
(b) It is closed.
(c) It has writing all over it.
(d) It is open.
10. At Auntie Du's funeral, who does Pearl think of and begin to grieve for?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her lost cat.
(c) Her mother.
11. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
(a) Secret Treasures box.
(b) Dust bunnies.
(c) Love letters from her first boyfriend.
(d) Old photo albums.
12. Why doesn't Winnie want to take her sweater off after church services in Chapter 3?
(a) She's proud of her new sweater.
(b) Her dress has a hole in it.
(c) She loves its softness.
(d) She's too cold.
13. Who tells Winnie gossip about the Wen family business three days before her wedding?
(a) San Ma.
(b) Old Aunt.
14. Why doesn't Winnie want to forget the past?
(a) She had the best life in China.
(b) It still holds lessons for her.
(c) It was an enjoyable time.
(d) She misses it so much.
15. In Chapter 6, what is Winnie's task on New Year's day?
(a) To wash all the dishes.
(b) To tend the animals.
(c) To mend the family's clothes.
(d) To sweep the courtyard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pearl's mother's name?
2. Where does Winnie's son Samuel work?
3. As a child, what did Pearl carve in the wood of the dressing table in her bedroom?
4. What did Winnie's mother leave behind when she disappeared?
5. How much money does Peanut say she expects to receive from her future family?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)