|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie say she acted like when she was newly married?
(c) A foolish young girl.
2. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
(a) Good luck!
(b) Runaways! Cowards!
(c) See you soon!
(d) Come and get me!
3. At the market in Nanking, what do Winnie and Hulan buy just before the Japanese planes fly over, dropping leaflets and causing panic?
(b) Snow cones.
(c) Roasted chestnuts.
4. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
(a) The snow is best for snowmen.
(b) It reminds her of her childhood.
(c) She wishes it would go away.
(d) It's the first time she's seen it.
5. What is Winnie's favorite piece of furniture that she bought for her dowry?
(a) Vanity with a brocade bench.
(b) Lawn furniture.
(c) Chamber pots.
6. How old is Bao-bao when he gets engaged for the third time?
7. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
(a) Big baby.
(b) Wah-wah yu.
(c) Syin ke.
(d) Little one.
8. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
(a) Seven days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five days.
9. Who uses a red wedding skirt as a guide on the mountain road?
(c) Wen Fu.
10. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
11. Who is Helen's husband?
(d) Long Jiaguo.
12. What do the women make out of the old store room for the harvested tea?
(a) A bathhouse.
(b) A dining area.
(c) An extra bedroom.
(d) A kitchen.
13. What does Winnie do in Chapter 4 to forget the news in Betty's letter?
(a) She cleans her house all night.
(b) Watches TV.
(c) Goes to the movies.
(d) Listens to the radio.
14. What does Winnie find under Pearl's bed as she's cleaning Pearl's bedroom?
(a) Old photo albums.
(b) Dust bunnies.
(c) Love letters from her first boyfriend.
(d) Secret Treasures box.
15. What disease does Pearl have?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(b) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
2. Who dies in childbirth while a pilot and Hulan try to help her?
3. Why does Jimmy have to have an operation when he ate the fish dinner Winnie had made to celebrate her new job?
4. What does Winnie say "taonan" means?
5. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)