|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
(a) Old age.
(d) Brain tumor.
2. Which uncle tells a story about a newlywed couple in Chapter 8?
(a) Uncle Gong.
(b) Uncle Sam.
(c) Turtle Uncle.
(d) Uncle Henry.
3. What does Winnie feed to Pearl when she visits in Chapter 5?
(a) Noodle soup with turnips and pork.
(b) Tuna sandwich.
4. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
(a) All of Winnie's past secrets.
(b) How she saves money.
(c) Her daughter's affair.
(d) Her fish recipe.
5. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
(a) She is allergic to them.
(b) They remind her of the escape from Nanking.
(c) She can't find them where she lives.
(d) They are too expensive.
6. Who is Lin?
(a) A good man Winnie could have married in China.
(b) Winnie's podiatrist.
(c) A stranger at the church.
(d) A friend of Helen's.
7. Who does Aunt Helen say Pearl needs to tell about her disease?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her doctor.
8. Who is Helen's husband?
(b) Long Jiaguo.
9. What are the ten items that Winnie saved from her dowry and hides in the lining of her suitcase?
(c) Fur stoles.
(d) Silver chopsticks.
10. Where do Pearl and her family live?
(a) San Jose.
(d) San Francisco.
11. How much money does Wen Fu's family give to Winnie's father?
(a) Four thousand yuan.
(b) One thousand yuan.
(c) Five thousand yaun.
(d) Ten thousand yaun.
12. How much money does Peanut say she expects to receive from her future family?
(a) One hundred thousand yuan.
(b) At least forty thousand yuan.
(c) Sixty thousand yuan.
(d) Two thousand yuan.
13. How does Winnie pay for the meals she makes for the pilots after they return from their missions?
(a) Borrows money from Hulan.
(b) Takes up a collection from all the pilots.
(c) With money from her dowry.
(d) Wen Fu's salary.
14. Why does Hulan grow angry with Winnie after the first battle in which some pilots die?
(a) Winnie is always cursing the future with her words.
(b) Winnie has used up all her flour.
(c) Winnie laughs at her.
(d) Winnie thinks she's better than Hulan.
15. Who were the matron of honor and best man at Pearl's wedding?
(a) Jennifer and Michael.
(b) Mary and Doug.
(c) Katherine and Dave.
(d) Julia and Keegan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
2. Where do Wen Fu and Winnie move to just one month after they are married?
3. Who says "Daddy, there's a lady sleeping up there! And her dinner's on fire!"
4. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
5. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)