|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "Daddy, there's a lady sleeping up there! And her dinner's on fire!"
2. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
(a) To come visit her in Hong Kong.
(b) To remind her of her birthday.
(c) That she has a new grandson.
(d) That Wen Fu is dead.
3. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
(a) A cyst.
(b) Her bangs.
(c) A mole.
(d) A speck of dirt.
4. Who is Wen Fu?
(a) Winnie's first husband.
(b) The local doctor.
(c) Winnie's friend.
(d) A business competitor.
5. Where do Hulan and Winnie like to go during thunderstorms in Chapter 10?
(a) To the bathhouse.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Their bedrooms.
(d) To the pavillon.
6. What does the banner say above Auntie Du's casket?
(a) Hope that your next life is long and prosperous.
(b) We will miss you.
(c) See you in heaven.
(d) Good luck!
7. How much money does Wen Fu's family give to Winnie's father?
(a) Ten thousand yaun.
(b) Four thousand yuan.
(c) Five thousand yaun.
(d) One thousand yuan.
8. Who delivers Peanut's letters to Wen Fu?
(c) Her brothers.
(d) The Postal Service.
9. How long did Winnie live with her uncle and his wives on Tsungming Island?
(a) About twelve years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Until she was 20.
10. What does Winnie think of Helen?
(a) She is smart.
(b) She doesn't enjoy her company, opinions, or character.
(c) She is pretty.
(d) She loves spending time with her.
11. Who has a flattened cheek and a misshapen ear and bows three times to Auntie Du's body?
(a) Mary's cousin.
(c) Older monk.
(d) Mr. Hwong.
12. How long do Winnie and Helen eat Auntie Du's funeral leftovers?
(a) Five days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
13. At Auntie Du's funeral, who does Pearl think of and begin to grieve for?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her lost cat.
(c) Her mother.
14. What is Wen Fu doing when Peanut first meets him?
(a) Reading a book.
(b) An actor asking for a donation.
(c) Talking with government officials.
(d) Selling candy.
15. Who learns she is pregnant in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
2. What disease does Pearl have?
3. Who dies in childbirth while a pilot and Hulan try to help her?
4. What do Tessa and Cleo call their grandmother Winnie?
5. Where do Peanut and Wen Fu meet in Chapter 7?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)