|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie read in the Pavillion while snacking on a variety of foods?
(a) Letter from Betty.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) Book of poetry.
(d) American Magazine.
2. How long did Winnie live with her uncle and his wives on Tsungming Island?
(a) Until she was 20.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) About twelve years.
3. What is spirit money?
(a) Money that pays for the wreaths.
(b) Money for giving to the church.
(c) Real money.
(d) Play money the dead use to bribe their way into heaven.
4. At Auntie Du's funeral, what are Phil and Pearl given when they first enter?
(a) Black armbands.
(b) Parking stub.
(c) Quilt pieces.
5. What does Roger's nickname, Bao-bao, mean?
(a) Youngest child.
(b) Big baby.
(c) Precious baby.
(d) Silly one.
6. Who is Helen's husband?
(c) Long Jiaguo.
7. At the end of Chapter 10, where do the pilots fight their first battle?
8. What does Hulan break in Chapter 12?
9. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
(a) Wah-wah yu.
(b) Big baby.
(c) Little one.
(d) Syin ke.
10. What surprises Pearl about Auntie Du's casket?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It has writing all over it.
(c) It is open.
(d) It has lots of gold on it.
11. Who is Wen Fu?
(a) A business competitor.
(b) Winnie's first husband.
(c) The local doctor.
(d) Winnie's friend.
12. Who does Aunt Helen say Pearl needs to tell about her disease?
(c) Her doctor.
(d) Her mother.
13. What disease does Pearl have?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(b) Heart disease.
14. Who says he saw a ghost who told him he would experience nine bad fates before he died?
(c) Mr. Ma.
15. How much does Jimmy earn as minister of their church in Fresno?
(a) Thirty dollars a week.
(b) Fifty dollars a week.
(c) Twenty dollars a week.
(d) One hundred dollars a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Winnie and the others are escaping Nanking, how many suitcases are they allowed to bring?
2. Who delivers Peanut's letters to Wen Fu?
3. Where do Hulan and Winnie go to meet up with their husbands in Chapter 11?
4. What do Tessa and Cleo call their grandmother Winnie?
5. What did they call Betty Wan during wartime?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)