|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Winnie find on the funeral card that Pearl had saved from her father's funeral?
(a) A song she made up.
(b) Pearl's name.
(c) Hearts around her father's name.
(d) Black marks covering the death date.
2. At the market in Nanking, what do Winnie and Hulan buy just before the Japanese planes fly over, dropping leaflets and causing panic?
(a) Roasted chestnuts.
(d) Snow cones.
3. How old was Winnie when her mother disappeared?
(c) Just a baby.
4. How much money does Wen Fu's family give to Winnie's father?
(a) Five thousand yaun.
(b) Four thousand yuan.
(c) One thousand yuan.
(d) Ten thousand yaun.
5. How much spirit money did Mr. Hong give to Pearl before Auntie Du's funeral?
(a) One hundred million dollars.
(b) Six million dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
6. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
(a) A missionary school.
(b) Public school.
(c) Boarding school in Hong Kong.
(d) At home by tutors.
7. Why does Hulan grow angry with Winnie after the first battle in which some pilots die?
(a) Winnie is always cursing the future with her words.
(b) Winnie thinks she's better than Hulan.
(c) Winnie has used up all her flour.
(d) Winnie laughs at her.
8. In Chapter 12, what does Wen Fu spend Winnie's dowry money on?
(b) An old sports car.
9. What surprises Pearl about Auntie Du's casket?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It has writing all over it.
(c) It has lots of gold on it.
(d) It is open.
10. Why does Jimmy have to have an operation when he ate the fish dinner Winnie had made to celebrate her new job?
(a) He broke his leg.
(b) He had appendicitis.
(c) He swallowed a fish bone.
(d) He had a heart condition.
11. What color was Winnie's mother's hair?
(b) Very black with two white hairs.
12. Who is Lin?
(a) A stranger at the church.
(b) A good man Winnie could have married in China.
(c) A friend of Helen's.
(d) Winnie's podiatrist.
13. What kind of job does Pearl have?
(a) Medical Assistant.
(b) Bookstore owner.
(c) Speech and language clinician.
14. What does Winnie make that ends up being too tight?
15. Who says he saw a ghost who told him he would experience nine bad fates before he died?
(c) Mr. Ma.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wen Fu behave towards the other pilots when they're playing cards after dinner?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Aunt Helen say she is dying from?
3. How long did Winnie live with her uncle and his wives on Tsungming Island?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Helen tell Winnie she plans to reveal?
5. How does Winnie pay for the meals she makes for the pilots after they return from their missions?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)