|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
(a) Good luck.
(b) Average luck.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) No luck.
2. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
(a) That Wen Fu is dead.
(b) That she has a new grandson.
(c) To come visit her in Hong Kong.
(d) To remind her of her birthday.
3. At Auntie Du's funeral, who does Pearl think of and begin to grieve for?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her lost cat.
4. How much spirit money did Mr. Hong give to Pearl before Auntie Du's funeral?
(a) Six million dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred million dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
5. What do the women make out of the old store room for the harvested tea?
(a) A kitchen.
(b) A dining area.
(c) A bathhouse.
(d) An extra bedroom.
6. What profession does Lin have?
7. What do Tessa and Cleo call their grandmother Winnie?
8. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
(a) Runaways! Cowards!
(b) See you soon!
(c) Good luck!
(d) Come and get me!
9. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
(a) Big baby.
(b) Wah-wah yu.
(c) Syin ke.
(d) Little one.
10. What does Winnie say she acted like when she was newly married?
(b) A foolish young girl.
11. Where was Winnie's mother educated?
(a) At home by tutors.
(b) Boarding school in Hong Kong.
(c) Public school.
(d) A missionary school.
12. Why does Winnie no longer eat eels?
(a) She is allergic to them.
(b) They remind her of the escape from Nanking.
(c) She can't find them where she lives.
(d) They are too expensive.
13. Who is Helen's husband?
(d) Long Jiaguo.
14. What does Winnie do in Chapter 4 to forget the news in Betty's letter?
(a) Listens to the radio.
(b) She cleans her house all night.
(c) Goes to the movies.
(d) Watches TV.
15. How long did Winnie live with her uncle and his wives on Tsungming Island?
(a) Until she was 20.
(b) About twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, what did Pearl carve in the wood of the dressing table in her bedroom?
2. How much money does Wen Fu's family give to Winnie's father?
3. Who is Auntie Miao?
4. When Winnie moves to Nanking, what does she say about seeing snow?
5. Where does Winnie sleep when she stays at her father's house before her wedding?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)