|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much spirit money did Mr. Hong give to Pearl before Auntie Du's funeral?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Six million dollars.
(c) One hundred million dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
2. What do Tessa and Cleo call their grandmother Winnie?
3. Who is Pearl's least favorite cousin?
4. Who is videotaping Auntie Du's funeral?
(a) Uncle Henry.
5. Where does Winnie sleep when she stays at her father's house before her wedding?
(a) Guest cottage.
(b) The study.
(c) Guest room.
(d) In her mother's bedroom.
6. What does Betty Wan from Hong Kong write to Helen?
(a) That Wen Fu is dead.
(b) To come visit her in Hong Kong.
(c) That she has a new grandson.
(d) To remind her of her birthday.
7. Whose credentials does Wen Fu use to become a pilot?
(a) A dead cousin's.
(b) A neighbor's.
(c) His father's.
(d) His dead brother's.
8. In Chapter 12, what does Wen Fu spend Winnie's dowry money on?
(c) An old sports car.
9. Why doesn't Winnie want to forget the past?
(a) She had the best life in China.
(b) She misses it so much.
(c) It still holds lessons for her.
(d) It was an enjoyable time.
10. Who were the matron of honor and best man at Pearl's wedding?
(a) Mary and Doug.
(b) Julia and Keegan.
(c) Katherine and Dave.
(d) Jennifer and Michael.
11. What kind of luck does Winnie say she was born with?
(a) No luck.
(b) Average luck.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) Good luck.
12. What does Winnie say she acted like when she was newly married?
(b) A foolish young girl.
13. In Chapter 6, what is Winnie's task on New Year's day?
(a) To mend the family's clothes.
(b) To sweep the courtyard.
(c) To wash all the dishes.
(d) To tend the animals.
14. What does Winnie have above her eye that a fortune teller says can make everything she sees turn black?
(a) A speck of dirt.
(b) Her bangs.
(c) A mole.
(d) A cyst.
15. What surprises Pearl about Auntie Du's casket?
(a) It has writing all over it.
(b) It is open.
(c) It is closed.
(d) It has lots of gold on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Auntie Miao?
2. Why does Jimmy have to have an operation when he ate the fish dinner Winnie had made to celebrate her new job?
3. How much money does Wen Fu's family give to Winnie's father?
4. What was the nickname Winnie's mother had for her daughter?
5. What does the little boy standing next to the lake shout at the air force pilots after they drive past him in Mr. Ma's truck?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)