* Pearl introduces her extended family, the Kwongs.
* Roger Kwong is getting married for the third time and having an engagement party.
* Pearl does not want to go, but resigns herself out of a sense of duty.
* Great Auntie Du dies at age 97, and her funeral will be held the day after the engagement party.
* Pearl's husband Phil argues with Pearl about her sense of obligation to go to these events, and worries that the weekend will take its toll on Pearl, who has multiple sclerosis.
* Pearl, Phil, and their two daughters stay at Winnie's house.
* When Pearl goes to the flower shop to help her mother, Mr. Hong, from the shop next door, gives Winnie spirit money for Auntie Du's funeral.
* At the engagement party, Pearl sees her cousin Mary, whom she does not like.
* Aunt Helen tells Pearl she must tell her mother about her illness...
This section contains 2,795 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)