• Pearl introduces her extended family, the Kwongs.
• Roger Kwong is getting married for the third time and having an engagement party.
• Pearl does not want to go, but resigns herself out of a sense of duty.
• Great Auntie Du dies at age 97, and her funeral will be held the day after the engagement party.
• Pearl's husband Phil argues with Pearl about her sense of obligation to go to these events, and worries that the weekend will take its toll on Pearl, who has multiple sclerosis.
• Pearl, Phil, and their two daughters stay at Winnie's house.
• When Pearl goes to the flower shop to help her mother, Mr. Hong, from the shop next door, gives Winnie spirit money for Auntie Du's funeral.
• At the engagement party, Pearl sees her cousin Mary, whom she does not like.
• Aunt Helen tells Pearl she must tell her mother about her illness...
This section contains 2,795 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)