Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Valentin say that Molina will arrange for the others to meet them?
2. What does Molina want to suggest to Valentin to help get him to open up?
3. What does the woman say she is not, when the man tries to get her to go away with him?
4. "Marta, you can't imagine how much I just feel like __________ after eating all that food I found thanks to the spider woman...."
5. Who does the new husband's father ask for a blessing?
Essay Topic 1
The writing style of Puig allows readers a chance to fill in the blanks, using their own imagination. This has been seen as a weak writing style, but also a powerful writing style by critics.
Part 1: What does the lack of every detail do for the story Puig is trying to tell?
Part 2: Would the story's power be lessened by more narrative and detail? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it matters if the blanks you fill in with your imagination are different from the blanks another reader might fill in? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of desire is another larger idea in this story, with both men desiring things outside of their cell as well as within their cell.
Part 1: What are Molina's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 2: What are Valentin's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 3: How do the desires of the men change as the story progresses? Are some desires different? Or are desires simply added to their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of telling stories seems to be used as an escapist technique, not just for the reader, but also for the characters.
Part 1: Why does Molina like to tell the stories as told to Valentin and to himself?
Part 2: What might Molina be escaping from as he tells the stories? What might Valentin escape from?
Part 3: What is the value of escapism? What does it provide to those who seek it out? How can it hurt the seekers of escapism?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)