Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Valentin say that Molina will arrange for the others to meet them?
2. What does Molina want to suggest to Valentin to help get him to open up?
3. What does the woman say she is not, when the man tries to get her to go away with him?
4. "Marta, you can't imagine how much I just feel like __________ after eating all that food I found thanks to the spider woman...."
5. Who does the new husband's father ask for a blessing?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of love is one that emerges right from the beginning of the story when Molina tells the story of the movie. The theme of love continues to emerge in the subsequent chapters.
Part 1: How is love portrayed in this story? In what ways does Puig describe it to the audience?
Part 2: Does love seem to be a positive or a negative force in the lives of these men? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways is love made larger than life in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of telling stories seems to be used as an escapist technique, not just for the reader, but also for the characters.
Part 1: Why does Molina like to tell the stories as told to Valentin and to himself?
Part 2: What might Molina be escaping from as he tells the stories? What might Valentin escape from?
Part 3: What is the value of escapism? What does it provide to those who seek it out? How can it hurt the seekers of escapism?
Essay Topic 3
The use of footnotes in this story is another different technique that Puig uses to give the reader a unique experience.
Part 1: Describe the content of two instances of footnotes.
Part 2: What do the footnotes do for the experience of the reader? What do they provide to the story?
Part 3: Why wasn't the information in the footnotes put into the actual narrative, in your opinion?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)