|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Molina's true last name, according to the report at the beginning of the chapter?
2. "The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that sex is innocence itself." is a statement made by ________.
3. Who says: "In a sense we're perfectly free to behave however we choose with respect to one another, am I making myself clear?"
4. "Yes, but in this case, the two of us are locked up here, so there is no _______, no fight to win, you follow me?"
5. In what kind of costume is the man dressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
Essay Topic 2
While Molina seems to be a person who is emotional and quite reactive to stress, at the same time, the reader gets the feeling that he may be manipulating the Warden.
Part 1: What makes the reader think Molina is possibly manipulating the Warden?
Part 2: Do you think Molina is trying to help the Warden or help himself? Why do you answer the way you do?
Part 3: Does Molina seem capable of manipulation? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)