|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentin say about constantly escaping reality through movies - it can become a ______.
2. Where has Molina been that Valentin asks him about?
3. What is Irena not allowed to do with her husband?
4. Who might be the main character of the story Molina is telling?
5. Where is Leni invited to that interrupts her attempt to give over the information she has learned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentin say helps him escape his cell and his reality?
2. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
3. What is the setting of the new movie Molina wants to share with Valentin?
4. Who does Valentin say is also secondary to his cause and to his goals in terms of social revolution?
5. What does the Mafia husband do when he finds his wife?
6. Why does the race car driver walk out on his Dad?
7. What happens to the chorus girl who tells Leni she is pregnant?
8. What does Molina propose to the Warden in order to increase the chances of Valentin opening up to him?
9. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
10. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
Essay Topic 2
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 3
Molina and Valentin could not be more different, it seems. These two cell mates are locked up with each other for six months, so they will have no other choice but to get to know each other quite well.
Part 1: How are Molina and Valentin similar?
Part 2: How are Molina and Valentin dissimilar?
Part 3: If Molina and Valentin met each other on the street, would they be able to talk as they do in this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,229 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)