|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the main character of the next story go to visit his/her father?
2. Who is encouraged initially to take a bigger helping of the dinner in this chapter's text?
3. What is Molina's prisoner number?
4. Who cleans up Valentin?
5. What does the Warden want Molina to hide when he goes back to his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
2. What happens to the first wife of the man in the story?
3. Why will Irena not let the man kiss her when he wants to, even though they have fallen in love?
4. What kind of job does Molina get when he is finally out of jail?
5. What is the man's parents' reaction to his new relationship?
6. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
7. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
8. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
9. How do the man and the woman meet in the first movie Molina describes to Valentin?
10. Why is Leni interrogated as a result of the events that occur in relation to the chorus girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between a man and a man is somewhat of a taboo in today's society, even without the idea of homosexuality. But its relevance to the story is not in its sexual tone, but in the way the men begin to learn more about each other and take care of each other.
Part 1: Do you think Valentin cares that Molina is a homosexual in the beginning? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think Valentin explains the sexual relationship between himself and Molina? Is he a homosexual as well?
Part 3: What does the sexual relationship that develops seem to say about relationships in general? Do circumstances create relationships more than feelings do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 3
While some might view this manuscript as a triumph and a celebration of homosexuality, others feel it is a condemnation of this sexuality.
Part 1: What are some of the ways homosexuality is criticized in this story?
Part 2: What are some of the ways homosexuality is celebrated in this story?
Part 3: In the end, does it seem like homosexuality is thought to be a positive lifestyle or a negative lifestyle? Support your answer.
This section contains 2,262 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)