Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might be the main character of the story Molina is telling?
2. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
3. Who is the character who wonders if the Warden will keep his promise to him?
4. In what is the prepared food to come?
5. Irena is not at __________ when she said she would be there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Valentin's reaction to Molina's illness?
2. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
3. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
4. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
5. What story is the newspaper reporter working on back at his office?
6. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
7. What happens to the young man who owns the house in the new story Molina begins?
8. What is the Warden's new plan to learn more about Valentin's comrades?
9. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
10. What does the husband tell the zombie woman as he is dying?
Essay Topic 1
The stories Molina shares seem to be without any connection to the men or to the questioning Molina is supposed to be doing.
Part 1: What is the story that seems to relate most to Molina and Valentin? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think Molina chooses to tell these stories to Valentin instead of directly asking questions?
Part 3: Choose one story, describe it, and then discuss why Molina might have chosen to tell that story at the time.
Essay Topic 2
The writing style of Puig allows readers a chance to fill in the blanks, using their own imagination. This has been seen as a weak writing style, but also a powerful writing style by critics.
Part 1: What does the lack of every detail do for the story Puig is trying to tell?
Part 2: Would the story's power be lessened by more narrative and detail? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it matters if the blanks you fill in with your imagination are different from the blanks another reader might fill in? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, it seems Molina and Valentin switch their original roles in order to become better men for each other.
Part 1: Describe the character of Molina at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 2: Describe the character of Valentin at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 3: What does Molina believe in the end of the story? What does Valentin do at the end of the story? How have they both changed?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)