|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irena is not at __________ when she said she would be there.
2. What does Molina tell Valentin to do?
3. What is Irena not allowed to do with her husband?
4. Who does the Warden have dinner with the night before?
5. What does he learn from the answer to #73?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the newspaper reporter do when he recognizes the woman he met the night before in his research?
2. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
3. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
4. What does the man notice about the woman he has met during the festivities?
5. Why is Valentin afraid to go to the infirmary?
6. What does the Warden suggest Molina say about his visits to keep Valentin from becoming suspicious?
7. Describe Leni and what happens to her in the beginning of the new movie story.
8. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
9. What does Molina do with Valentin once he returns from his meeting with the Warden?
10. Why is Molina in the meeting at the beginning of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Molina and Valentin could not be more different, it seems. These two cell mates are locked up with each other for six months, so they will have no other choice but to get to know each other quite well.
Part 1: How are Molina and Valentin similar?
Part 2: How are Molina and Valentin dissimilar?
Part 3: If Molina and Valentin met each other on the street, would they be able to talk as they do in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, it seems Molina and Valentin switch their original roles in order to become better men for each other.
Part 1: Describe the character of Molina at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 2: Describe the character of Valentin at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 3: What does Molina believe in the end of the story? What does Valentin do at the end of the story? How have they both changed?
Essay Topic 3
The use of footnotes in this story is another different technique that Puig uses to give the reader a unique experience.
Part 1: Describe the content of two instances of footnotes.
Part 2: What do the footnotes do for the experience of the reader? What do they provide to the story?
Part 3: Why wasn't the information in the footnotes put into the actual narrative, in your opinion?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)