|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might be the main character of the story Molina is telling?
2. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
3. Who is the character who wonders if the Warden will keep his promise to him?
4. In what is the prepared food to come?
5. Irena is not at __________ when she said she would be there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Valentin's reaction to Molina's illness?
2. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
3. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
4. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
5. What story is the newspaper reporter working on back at his office?
6. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
7. What happens to the young man who owns the house in the new story Molina begins?
8. What is the Warden's new plan to learn more about Valentin's comrades?
9. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
10. What does the husband tell the zombie woman as he is dying?
Essay Topic 1
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 2
While Molina seems to be a person who is emotional and quite reactive to stress, at the same time, the reader gets the feeling that he may be manipulating the Warden.
Part 1: What makes the reader think Molina is possibly manipulating the Warden?
Part 2: Do you think Molina is trying to help the Warden or help himself? Why do you answer the way you do?
Part 3: Does Molina seem capable of manipulation? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of desire is another larger idea in this story, with both men desiring things outside of their cell as well as within their cell.
Part 1: What are Molina's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 2: What are Valentin's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 3: How do the desires of the men change as the story progresses? Are some desires different? Or are desires simply added to their lives?
This section contains 2,205 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)