|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pregnant and reveals it within the context of the movie story?
2. What is hurting Molina so badly while he is ill?
3. What is Irena not allowed to do with her husband?
4. Why is the star of the show interrogated?
5. Valentin have a bad attack of ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
2. What happens when Molina wants to coddle Valentin again during this chapter?
3. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
4. What happens when Irena sees her husband in the office late at night with his assistant?
5. Why does the psychiatrist try to come on to Irena in the middle of a session?
6. What occurs when Valentin gets mad at Molina?
7. What does the letter Valentin receives reveal to him?
8. Describe Leni and what happens to her in the beginning of the new movie story.
9. How do the man and the woman try to fix the woman's problem of not wanting to kiss her husband?
10. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, the reader does not know if the writing and the narration is true or a vision from the character. This fantasy-like tone makes the story one that may not be as complete as it seems.
Part 1: Cite two examples in which the narration of the story becomes unclear as to whether it is real or if it is just a dream/vision.
Part 2: What do these examples seem to tell us about the idea of reality and fantasy?
Part 3: If these examples are not based in reality, does this weaken the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between a man and a man is somewhat of a taboo in today's society, even without the idea of homosexuality. But its relevance to the story is not in its sexual tone, but in the way the men begin to learn more about each other and take care of each other.
Part 1: Do you think Valentin cares that Molina is a homosexual in the beginning? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think Valentin explains the sexual relationship between himself and Molina? Is he a homosexual as well?
Part 3: What does the sexual relationship that develops seem to say about relationships in general? Do circumstances create relationships more than feelings do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of desire is another larger idea in this story, with both men desiring things outside of their cell as well as within their cell.
Part 1: What are Molina's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 2: What are Valentin's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 3: How do the desires of the men change as the story progresses? Are some desires different? Or are desires simply added to their lives?
This section contains 2,219 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)