|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Molina's middle name?
2. What makes the couple beautiful to each other?
3. Molina say he is sick for ________.
4. Which character in this story is a window dresser?
5. What is served for dinner during this specific chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
2. What happens to the chorus girl who tells Leni she is pregnant?
3. What does the man notice about the woman he has met during the festivities?
4. Describe Leni and what happens to her in the beginning of the new movie story.
5. What does the Warden suggest Molina say about his visits to keep Valentin from becoming suspicious?
6. What story is the newspaper reporter working on back at his office?
7. Who does Leni get involved with in order to find out more information from her boyfriend?
8. Why does the psychiatrist try to come on to Irena in the middle of a session?
9. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
10. Why is Valentin afraid to go to the infirmary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, it seems Molina and Valentin switch their original roles in order to become better men for each other.
Part 1: Describe the character of Molina at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 2: Describe the character of Valentin at the beginning of the story. What does he believe in?
Part 3: What does Molina believe in the end of the story? What does Valentin do at the end of the story? How have they both changed?
Essay Topic 2
While the idea of escapism is rampant in this story, Valentin has different rules for himself in terms of what he can and cannot do.
Part 1: List the personal rules Valentin has for himself from the beginning of the story.
Part 2: Why does Valentin want to go to the infirmary when he is ill?
Part 3: Does Valentin's internal rule set change as the story progresses? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of love is one that emerges right from the beginning of the story when Molina tells the story of the movie. The theme of love continues to emerge in the subsequent chapters.
Part 1: How is love portrayed in this story? In what ways does Puig describe it to the audience?
Part 2: Does love seem to be a positive or a negative force in the lives of these men? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways is love made larger than life in this story?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)