Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who might be the main character of the story Molina is telling?
2. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
3. Who is the character who wonders if the Warden will keep his promise to him?
4. In what is the prepared food to come?
5. Irena is not at __________ when she said she would be there.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Valentin's reaction to Molina's illness?
2. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
3. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
4. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
5. What story is the newspaper reporter working on back at his office?
6. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
7. What happens to the young man who owns the house in the new story Molina begins?
8. What is the Warden's new plan to learn more about Valentin's comrades?
9. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
10. What does the husband tell the zombie woman as he is dying?
Essay Topic 1
While the idea of escapism is rampant in this story, Valentin has different rules for himself in terms of what he can and cannot do.
Part 1: List the personal rules Valentin has for himself from the beginning of the story.
Part 2: Why does Valentin want to go to the infirmary when he is ill?
Part 3: Does Valentin's internal rule set change as the story progresses? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
While some might view this manuscript as a triumph and a celebration of homosexuality, others feel it is a condemnation of this sexuality.
Part 1: What are some of the ways homosexuality is criticized in this story?
Part 2: What are some of the ways homosexuality is celebrated in this story?
Part 3: In the end, does it seem like homosexuality is thought to be a positive lifestyle or a negative lifestyle? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)