|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose essay on sexuality does the footnote detail?
2. Irena is not at __________ when she said she would be there.
3. What makes the couple beautiful to each other?
4. Who has been trading in the black market for surplus food in this new story?
5. What is Irena not allowed to do with her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
2. Why does the race car driver walk out on his Dad?
3. What happens when Irena sees her husband in the office late at night with his assistant?
4. What happens just as Leni is about to hand over information about her German boyfriend?
5. Who is the spider woman?
6. What does the woman have to do in order to support the care of her man?
7. What does the zombie woman do to the husband?
8. Why is Molina in the meeting at the beginning of the chapter?
9. How do the man and the woman try to fix the woman's problem of not wanting to kiss her husband?
10. What does Valentin say helps him escape his cell and his reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of gender is something that is pursued in a subtle way in this manuscript. In moving back and forth between what is "masculine" and what is "feminine," the reader begins to ask questions of his/her own definitions of these terms as well.
Part 1: What are some examples of femininity in this story?
Part 2: What are some examples of masculinity in this story?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about the definition of gender as it relates to this story? Is it important? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of desire is another larger idea in this story, with both men desiring things outside of their cell as well as within their cell.
Part 1: What are Molina's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 2: What are Valentin's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 3: How do the desires of the men change as the story progresses? Are some desires different? Or are desires simply added to their lives?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)