|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Irena not allowed to do with her husband?
2. Where does the main character of the next story go to visit his/her father?
3. What is used instead of quotation marks to indicate the dialogue?
4. What is important to this character in #14?
5. What does the Warden want Molina to hide when he goes back to his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of the new movie Molina wants to share with Valentin?
2. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
3. Who does Leni get involved with in order to find out more information from her boyfriend?
4. What does the newspaper reporter do when he recognizes the woman he met the night before in his research?
5. What does the letter Valentin receives reveal to him?
6. Why does the race car driver walk out on his Dad?
7. What does the man notice about the woman he has met during the festivities?
8. Who is the spider woman?
9. What does Molina propose to the Warden in order to increase the chances of Valentin opening up to him?
10. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between a man and a man is somewhat of a taboo in today's society, even without the idea of homosexuality. But its relevance to the story is not in its sexual tone, but in the way the men begin to learn more about each other and take care of each other.
Part 1: Do you think Valentin cares that Molina is a homosexual in the beginning? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think Valentin explains the sexual relationship between himself and Molina? Is he a homosexual as well?
Part 3: What does the sexual relationship that develops seem to say about relationships in general? Do circumstances create relationships more than feelings do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The development of the relationship between Molina and Valentin is slow and steady as the chapters pass. Puig seems to understand the realism of the relationship that does develop between these two characters.
Part 1: What makes the relationship between Molina and Valentin seem realistic?
Part 2: How does Molina encourage Valentin to be comfortable about him?
Part 3: Why do you think Valentin opens up to Molina in the way he does?
Essay Topic 3
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)