|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pregnant and reveals it within the context of the movie story?
2. Who does the man invite to meet his new partner?
3. What is Molina's response to Valentin's reaction in #33?
4. Where has Molina been that Valentin asks him about?
5. Where does Valentin NOT want to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has the butcher been doing in the new movie Molina is describing in this chapter?
2. What happens when Molina wants to coddle Valentin again during this chapter?
3. Why does the man end up in the hospital in the movie story?
4. What does Molina do with Valentin once he returns from his meeting with the Warden?
5. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
6. Why is Leni interrogated as a result of the events that occur in relation to the chorus girl?
7. Why will Irena not let the man kiss her when he wants to, even though they have fallen in love?
8. Why does Molina feel he could die in his sleep now?
9. How do the man and the woman try to fix the woman's problem of not wanting to kiss her husband?
10. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 2
While the idea of escapism is rampant in this story, Valentin has different rules for himself in terms of what he can and cannot do.
Part 1: List the personal rules Valentin has for himself from the beginning of the story.
Part 2: Why does Valentin want to go to the infirmary when he is ill?
Part 3: Does Valentin's internal rule set change as the story progresses? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
The writing style of Puig allows readers a chance to fill in the blanks, using their own imagination. This has been seen as a weak writing style, but also a powerful writing style by critics.
Part 1: What does the lack of every detail do for the story Puig is trying to tell?
Part 2: Would the story's power be lessened by more narrative and detail? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it matters if the blanks you fill in with your imagination are different from the blanks another reader might fill in? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)