|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets married in the story Molina tells to himself?
2. What is the woman doing when she is first approached by the man?
3. What does Valentin receive while he is in the prison within this scene?
4. Why is the star of the show interrogated?
5. What is the profession of the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter Valentin receives reveal to him?
2. Why is Valentin afraid to go to the infirmary?
3. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
4. What occurs when Valentin gets mad at Molina?
5. Why does the psychiatrist try to come on to Irena in the middle of a session?
6. How has Valentin been tortured?
7. Why is Molina in the meeting at the beginning of the chapter?
8. Why is Leni interrogated as a result of the events that occur in relation to the chorus girl?
9. Why does the man end up in the hospital in the movie story?
10. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between a man and a man is somewhat of a taboo in today's society, even without the idea of homosexuality. But its relevance to the story is not in its sexual tone, but in the way the men begin to learn more about each other and take care of each other.
Part 1: Do you think Valentin cares that Molina is a homosexual in the beginning? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think Valentin explains the sexual relationship between himself and Molina? Is he a homosexual as well?
Part 3: What does the sexual relationship that develops seem to say about relationships in general? Do circumstances create relationships more than feelings do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 3
While Molina is revealed to be a homosexual, it is interesting that he does not show any interest in fighting for his own rights.
Part 1: Why do you think Puig decided to make the character of Molina a homosexual? What might be the reasoning?
Part 2: Why doesn't Molina want to fight for his rights? What reasons might he have for staying quiet?
Part 3: Do you think Molina's view of activism for himself has changed at the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)