|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Valentin and Molina located throughout the majority of the book?
2. Who is saved when the bus stops to pick her up?
3. What happens to the owner of the house when he goes off to war?
4. What kind of show is being performed in the next portion of the movie?
5. What country are the Germans occupying in the next movie story that Molina tells?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the man end up in the hospital in the movie story?
2. What does the husband tell the zombie woman as he is dying?
3. What does Valentin say helps him escape his cell and his reality?
4. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
5. What does Molina say is the only thing that makes him happy?
6. What occurs when Valentin gets mad at Molina?
7. What is Valentin's reaction to Molina's illness?
8. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
9. What does Molina propose to the Warden in order to increase the chances of Valentin opening up to him?
10. What does the servant girl do for the man who goes off to war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 2
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 3
While some might view this manuscript as a triumph and a celebration of homosexuality, others feel it is a condemnation of this sexuality.
Part 1: What are some of the ways homosexuality is criticized in this story?
Part 2: What are some of the ways homosexuality is celebrated in this story?
Part 3: In the end, does it seem like homosexuality is thought to be a positive lifestyle or a negative lifestyle? Support your answer.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)