|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Valentin NOT want to go?
2. What is used instead of quotation marks to indicate the dialogue?
3. What is on the piece of paper the woman has in front of her?
4. What is the woman doing when she is first approached by the man?
5. Who has been kidnapped by guerrillas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the spider woman?
2. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
3. What happens to the young man who owns the house in the new story Molina begins?
4. Describe Leni and what happens to her in the beginning of the new movie story.
5. What is Valentin's reaction to Molina's illness?
6. Who does Valentin say is also secondary to his cause and to his goals in terms of social revolution?
7. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
8. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
9. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
10. What kind of job does Molina get when he is finally out of jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1At times, the reader does not know if the writing and the narration is true or a vision from the character. This fantasy-like tone makes the story one that may not be as complete as it seems. Part 1: Cite two examples in which the narration of the story becomes unclear as to whether it is real or if it is just a dream/vision. Part 2: What do these examples seem to tell us about the idea of reality and fantasy? Part 3: If these examples are not based in reality, does this weaken the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2While the idea of escapism is rampant in this story, Valentin has different rules for himself in terms of what he can and cannot do. Part 1: List the personal rules Valentin has for himself from the beginning of the story. Part 2: Why does Valentin want to go to the infirmary when he is ill? Part 3: Does Valentin's internal rule set change as the story progresses? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3The idea of telling stories seems to be used as an escapist technique, not just for the reader, but also for the characters. Part 1: Why does Molina like to tell the stories as told to Valentin and to himself? Part 2: What might Molina be escaping from as he tells the stories? What might Valentin escape from? Part 3: What is the value of escapism? What does it provide to those who seek it out? How can it hurt the seekers of escapism?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)