|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings these provisions to Molina?
2. What is served for dinner during this specific chapter?
3. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
4. Who does Valentin say is secondary to the cause of change?
5. Where is this woman in #6 located when the man first meets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new story Molina tells within this chapter and subsequent chapters?
2. Who is the spider woman?
3. What does Valentin say helps him escape his cell and his reality?
4. What does the man notice about the woman he has met during the festivities?
5. Why does the psychiatrist try to come on to Irena in the middle of a session?
6. What does the husband tell the zombie woman as he is dying?
7. By whom would Valentin really like the letter to be written?
8. What does the Mafia husband do when he finds his wife?
9. What happens to the chorus girl who tells Leni she is pregnant?
10. What does Valentin have to say about being a man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
Essay Topic 2
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 3
While Molina seems to be a person who is emotional and quite reactive to stress, at the same time, the reader gets the feeling that he may be manipulating the Warden.
Part 1: What makes the reader think Molina is possibly manipulating the Warden?
Part 2: Do you think Molina is trying to help the Warden or help himself? Why do you answer the way you do?
Part 3: Does Molina seem capable of manipulation? Cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)