|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is hurting Molina so badly while he is ill?
2. What is Valentin's last name?
3. What happens to the owner of the house when he goes off to war?
4. What is served for dinner during this specific chapter?
5. Who cleans up Valentin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
2. How do the man and the woman try to fix the woman's problem of not wanting to kiss her husband?
3. What is Valentin's opinion of movies?
4. Why is Molina in the meeting at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Who does Molina meet with at the beginning of the chapter?
6. What has the butcher been doing in the new movie Molina is describing in this chapter?
7. What does the servant girl do for the man who goes off to war?
8. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
9. What does the man notice about the woman he has met during the festivities?
10. What happens to the young man who owns the house in the new story Molina begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an obvious conflict between the personal relationships of the characters and the idea of political activism. It seems the two ideas are unable to coexist.
Part 1: What does the play seem to be saying about personal relationships in relationship to the political ideals of the characters?
Part 2: Does it seem relationships are bolstered or weakened by activism? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways does Valentin's political activism affect his life?
Essay Topic 2
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 3
Women do not seem to play a large role in the story, being relegated only to the maternal role and to the person Valentin continues his fight for.
Part 1: Who are the female characters in this story? What is their relationship to the main characters of the dialogue?
Part 2: Do the female characters seem stronger or weaker than the male characters? Why did you choose the answer you did?
Part 3: What does Puig seem to be saying about the female gender?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)