|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentin think about this story?
2. What makes the couple beautiful to each other?
3. Who is the star of the show in the next part of the movie story Molina tells?
4. Who is the character who wonders if the Warden will keep his promise to him?
5. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the spider woman?
2. What does Molina suggest in order to make the Warden's suggestion all the more realistic?
3. What happens to the race car driver in the beginning of the new story Molina starts?
4. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
5. Who does Valentin say is also secondary to his cause and to his goals in terms of social revolution?
6. What happens in the movie when the wife goes to a voodoo ceremony?
7. What does the letter Valentin receives reveal to him?
8. Why does Molina feel he could die in his sleep now?
9. How do the man and the woman try to fix the woman's problem of not wanting to kiss her husband?
10. Why does the man end up in the hospital in the movie story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of love is one that emerges right from the beginning of the story when Molina tells the story of the movie. The theme of love continues to emerge in the subsequent chapters.
Part 1: How is love portrayed in this story? In what ways does Puig describe it to the audience?
Part 2: Does love seem to be a positive or a negative force in the lives of these men? Support your answer.
Part 3: In what ways is love made larger than life in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of gender is something that is pursued in a subtle way in this manuscript. In moving back and forth between what is "masculine" and what is "feminine," the reader begins to ask questions of his/her own definitions of these terms as well.
Part 1: What are some examples of femininity in this story?
Part 2: What are some examples of masculinity in this story?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about the definition of gender as it relates to this story? Is it important? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)