|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sick at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What does the star receive in her dressing room at the end of the show?
3. Valentin have a bad attack of ____________.
4. What s the animal in the cage focused on so that he does not smell the woman so close?
5. Who is the main character in the next story Molina tells?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valentin have to say about being a man?
2. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
3. What happens when Molina wants to coddle Valentin again during this chapter?
4. Who is the spider woman?
5. How has Valentin been tortured?
6. What happens to the first wife of the man in the story?
7. Why does the son feel guilty during the race car driver story?
8. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
9. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
10. Why does Valentin say he avoids the pleasures of the flesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valentin is a Marxist revolutionary, a bit of a traitor for his time, but this role is not one that is unique. Very often, authors use people who are revolutionaries to show the reader someone who is colorful and someone who can be feared and admired.
Part 1: How does the reader know of Valentin's political leanings in this story?
Part 2: Does Valentin seem to be a strong supporter of his beliefs? Support your answer.
Part 3: What are Molina's political beliefs? What does this say about Molina?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of telling stories seems to be used as an escapist technique, not just for the reader, but also for the characters.
Part 1: Why does Molina like to tell the stories as told to Valentin and to himself?
Part 2: What might Molina be escaping from as he tells the stories? What might Valentin escape from?
Part 3: What is the value of escapism? What does it provide to those who seek it out? How can it hurt the seekers of escapism?
Essay Topic 3
While Molina is revealed to be a homosexual, it is interesting that he does not show any interest in fighting for his own rights.
Part 1: Why do you think Puig decided to make the character of Molina a homosexual? What might be the reasoning?
Part 2: Why doesn't Molina want to fight for his rights? What reasons might he have for staying quiet?
Part 3: Do you think Molina's view of activism for himself has changed at the end of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,196 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)