|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom is Molina worried?
2. What is Molina's response to Valentin's reaction in #33?
3. Where has Molina been that Valentin asks him about?
4. What does Valentin do to escape his cell?
5. What does Molina tell Valentin to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the plantation owners turn the people of the island into zombies?
2. What does the maid confess when it seems obvious she knows more than she should about the zombie woman story?
3. What happens to the chorus girl who tells Leni she is pregnant?
4. What does the Mafia husband do when he finds his wife?
5. Why is Valentin afraid to go to the infirmary?
6. Who encourages Valentin to tell what he knows?
7. What happens in the movie when the wife goes to a voodoo ceremony?
8. What happens when Valentin has a bad attack of diarrhea?
9. What occurs when Valentin gets mad at Molina?
10. What does the zombie woman do to the husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The format of this story is much different from other stories and novels. From the lack of description and narrative to the different punctuation for the dialogue, it seems the reader has to work harder in order to grasp the importance of each scene.
Part 1: Why do you think Puig decided to use the dialogue format he did?
Part 2: Why might Puig have decided to leave out the traditional narrative sections as one might see in other books?
Part 3: How did the new structure affect the way you read the book? In what ways was reading this book more challenging? Less challenging?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of desire is another larger idea in this story, with both men desiring things outside of their cell as well as within their cell.
Part 1: What are Molina's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 2: What are Valentin's desires at the beginning of the story?
Part 3: How do the desires of the men change as the story progresses? Are some desires different? Or are desires simply added to their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The use of footnotes in this story is another different technique that Puig uses to give the reader a unique experience.
Part 1: Describe the content of two instances of footnotes.
Part 2: What do the footnotes do for the experience of the reader? What do they provide to the story?
Part 3: Why wasn't the information in the footnotes put into the actual narrative, in your opinion?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)