|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King promise if Marlowe will go bury the money in the jungle?
2. What is the rumor about the airfield?
3. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
4. How much does the King give Prouty?
5. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
2. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
3. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
4. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
5. Describe Tiny Timsen.
6. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
7. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
8. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
9. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
10. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 examines camp justice, where the many must be protected from the dishonest few. Being kicked out of a regiment is tantamount to death, which would come more swiftly and violently if the theft were publicized.
1. Though narration suggests there are few dishonest POWs, it seems the book is replete with examples of dishonesty in one form or another by many of the main characters. Discuss the fact that bribery seems rampant in the camp. What are the forms of bribery? Who participates? Is it moral? Can it be justified on the basis of the instinct to survive?
2. Though there seems to be much rule-breaking, there is still honor among thieves...sometimes. Discuss instances of when someone such as the King is honorable and why. Discuss instances of when someone who seems honest is not and why they are not. Which person is more despicable? Explain.
3. Do you think possessions and "marketing" should be regulated and supervised? Why or why not?
4. Black marketing seems to be looked at quite differently than outright thievery. Discuss the difference between the two.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
This section contains 1,485 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)