|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
2. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
3. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
4. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
5. What does Marlowe wish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
2. Describe Tiny Timsen.
3. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
4. Describe Marlowe's visit with McCoy in the infirmary.
5. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
6. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
7. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
8. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
9. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
10. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
This section contains 1,432 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)