Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
4. What does Shagata do?
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)