|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jones order Blakely to do?
2. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
3. What is the show called that Sean is about to premiere?
4. What does the doctor warn Marlowe about his arm?
5. How much do delivery, nurse and equipment cost to take care of Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
2. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
3. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
4. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
5. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
6. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
7. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
8. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
9. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
10. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
Essay Topic 2
Part of understanding the way the POWs behave is thoroughly understanding the conditions at Changi Camp. Using information from throughout the text, discuss the following:
1. Describe the physical surroundings of the Changi Camp. What dangers are inherent in a tropical jungle setting? (You may need to research this). What are the sleeping quarters like? The waster facilities? The places for cleaning one's body or clothes?
2. Describe the food situation in the camp. How much food do the Japanese allot each man? What ways are there to supplement the camp rations? How nutritional is the men's diet?
3. Describe the medical situation in the camp. Who provides medical care? How much medicine is available? What type of diseases are the men prone to in a tropical jungle setting?
4. Describe the entertainment/psychological aspects of the camp. Do the men have ways to pass the time that are stimulating? How much psychological pressure is there on the average man with trying to survive?
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)