|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor about the airfield?
2. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
3. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
4. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
5. What does the King explain to Marlowe in an effort to soothe Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
2. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
3. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
4. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
5. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
6. Who does the King invite to start up a rat breeding operation and what is the plan?
7. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
8. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
9. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
10. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)