Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
4. What does Shagata do?
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Part of understanding the way the POWs behave is thoroughly understanding the conditions at Changi Camp. Using information from throughout the text, discuss the following:
1. Describe the physical surroundings of the Changi Camp. What dangers are inherent in a tropical jungle setting? (You may need to research this). What are the sleeping quarters like? The waster facilities? The places for cleaning one's body or clothes?
2. Describe the food situation in the camp. How much food do the Japanese allot each man? What ways are there to supplement the camp rations? How nutritional is the men's diet?
3. Describe the medical situation in the camp. Who provides medical care? How much medicine is available? What type of diseases are the men prone to in a tropical jungle setting?
4. Describe the entertainment/psychological aspects of the camp. Do the men have ways to pass the time that are stimulating? How much psychological pressure is there on the average man with trying to survive?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)