|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
2. What does Kennedy tell Marlowe?
3. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
4. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
5. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
2. Who does the King invite to start up a rat breeding operation and what is the plan?
3. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
4. Describe Marlowe's visit with McCoy in the infirmary.
5. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
6. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
7. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
8. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
9. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
10. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 4, the idea that a radio is essential to the good morale is introduced. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think the Japanese commander is continually searching for contraband radios. What should happen to a POW who is discovered to have "sold" the location of a camp radio to the Japanese?
2. Demonstrate using examples from the text how the radio contributes to the emotional/psychological well being of the men.
3. How does a radio play into the actual survival of the POWs at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)