|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
2. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
3. Where does Townsend get the ring?
4. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
5. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
2. Who does the King invite to start up a rat breeding operation and what is the plan?
3. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
4. How does Marlowe manage to obtain a radio and what is the King's reaction?
5. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
6. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
7. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
8. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
9. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
10. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part of understanding the way the POWs behave is thoroughly understanding the conditions at Changi Camp. Using information from throughout the text, discuss the following:
1. Describe the physical surroundings of the Changi Camp. What dangers are inherent in a tropical jungle setting? (You may need to research this). What are the sleeping quarters like? The waster facilities? The places for cleaning one's body or clothes?
2. Describe the food situation in the camp. How much food do the Japanese allot each man? What ways are there to supplement the camp rations? How nutritional is the men's diet?
3. Describe the medical situation in the camp. Who provides medical care? How much medicine is available? What type of diseases are the men prone to in a tropical jungle setting?
4. Describe the entertainment/psychological aspects of the camp. Do the men have ways to pass the time that are stimulating? How much psychological pressure is there on the average man with trying to survive?
Essay Topic 2
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)