|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
2. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
3. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
4. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
2. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
3. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
4. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
5. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
6. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
7. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
8. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
9. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
10. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power in KING RAT. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of survival in KING RAT. What characters are most concerned with survival? Why? What are some symbols of survival? Symbols of resignation? What characters seem determined to survive? Which ones seem not to care about survival? What is the difference between how the two types live?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of nationalism/patriotism. How does the POWs from each nation view patriotism/nationalism? Is patriotism important to the POWs? What about the Korean guards? The Japanese?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)