|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
2. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
3. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
4. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
5. What does Hawkins' dog do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Often in an unusual situation, especially one as difficult as Changi, when the experience comes to a close, people respond in various ways--sometimes in ways that seem mysterious to the onlooker. Discuss the following:
1. Describe how the King, Marlowe, and Sean each respond to liberation and discuss why you think they do so. Does each response make sense to those who come to help the POWs? Does it make sense to you, the reader?
2. Choose three characters and discuss how you think the experience at Changi will impact their future behavior. Will the impact be mainly negative? Or will there be some positive outcomes? Do you think any of them suppress the memories of the experience? Why or why not.
3. It is obvious how such a situation as Changi can have a negative effect on those incarcerated there, but it is possible that there are positive outcomes also. Discuss some of the possible positive effects such an experience might have on a person.
Essay Topic 3
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
This section contains 2,584 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)