|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
2. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
3. About what does Smedly-Talyor laugh after Lt. Grey leaves?
4. What does Shagata report?
5. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
2. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
3. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
4. Describe Tiny Timsen.
5. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
6. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
7. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
8. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
9. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
10. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 examines camp justice, where the many must be protected from the dishonest few. Being kicked out of a regiment is tantamount to death, which would come more swiftly and violently if the theft were publicized.
1. Though narration suggests there are few dishonest POWs, it seems the book is replete with examples of dishonesty in one form or another by many of the main characters. Discuss the fact that bribery seems rampant in the camp. What are the forms of bribery? Who participates? Is it moral? Can it be justified on the basis of the instinct to survive?
2. Though there seems to be much rule-breaking, there is still honor among thieves...sometimes. Discuss instances of when someone such as the King is honorable and why. Discuss instances of when someone who seems honest is not and why they are not. Which person is more despicable? Explain.
3. Do you think possessions and "marketing" should be regulated and supervised? Why or why not?
4. Black marketing seems to be looked at quite differently than outright thievery. Discuss the difference between the two.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)