|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe wish?
2. About what is Ewart furious?
3. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
4. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
5. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
2. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
3. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
4. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
5. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
6. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
7. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
8. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
9. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
10. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
Essay Topic 2
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)