|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What false information does the King relay?
2. What is borehole detail?
3. What is the show called that Sean is about to premiere?
4. What is the doctor's consolation to Marlowe if he has to amputate?
5. Who cleaned up Marlowe when he was first captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
2. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
3. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
4. Describe Tiny Timsen.
5. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
6. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
7. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
8. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
9. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
10. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)