|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
2. About what does Smedly-Talyor laugh after Lt. Grey leaves?
3. What does Hawkins' dog do?
4. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
5. Where does Townsend get the ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 6 examines camp justice, where the many must be protected from the dishonest few. Being kicked out of a regiment is tantamount to death, which would come more swiftly and violently if the theft were publicized.
1. Though narration suggests there are few dishonest POWs, it seems the book is replete with examples of dishonesty in one form or another by many of the main characters. Discuss the fact that bribery seems rampant in the camp. What are the forms of bribery? Who participates? Is it moral? Can it be justified on the basis of the instinct to survive?
2. Though there seems to be much rule-breaking, there is still honor among thieves...sometimes. Discuss instances of when someone such as the King is honorable and why. Discuss instances of when someone who seems honest is not and why they are not. Which person is more despicable? Explain.
3. Do you think possessions and "marketing" should be regulated and supervised? Why or why not?
4. Black marketing seems to be looked at quite differently than outright thievery. Discuss the difference between the two.
Essay Topic 2
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
Essay Topic 3
"Politics" and manipulation influence much of what happens in KING RAT. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in KING RAT and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate others and their responses to the manipulators.
3. Do you think the Politics of a group of civilians in a similar situation would be different from that of the military, which has a system of rank that in some ways limits politics? Or does a military structure limit politics?
This section contains 2,636 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)