|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
4. What does Shagata do?
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
Essay Topic 1
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 2
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
This section contains 2,592 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)