Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
4. What does Shagata do?
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
Part of understanding the way the POWs behave is thoroughly understanding the conditions at Changi Camp. Using information from throughout the text, discuss the following:
1. Describe the physical surroundings of the Changi Camp. What dangers are inherent in a tropical jungle setting? (You may need to research this). What are the sleeping quarters like? The waster facilities? The places for cleaning one's body or clothes?
2. Describe the food situation in the camp. How much food do the Japanese allot each man? What ways are there to supplement the camp rations? How nutritional is the men's diet?
3. Describe the medical situation in the camp. Who provides medical care? How much medicine is available? What type of diseases are the men prone to in a tropical jungle setting?
4. Describe the entertainment/psychological aspects of the camp. Do the men have ways to pass the time that are stimulating? How much psychological pressure is there on the average man with trying to survive?
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Relationships are crucial to the men's survival in a place such as Changi. No one can go it alone. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the relationship between Marlowe and the King. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
2. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and Marlowe. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
3. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and the King? Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration or contempt? Do the men genuinely like each other? Hate each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)