|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
2. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
3. What is borehole detail?
4. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
5. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
2. Describe Tiny Timsen.
3. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
4. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
5. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
6. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
7. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
8. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
9. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
10. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
Essay Topic 3
Often in an unusual situation, especially one as difficult as Changi, when the experience comes to a close, people respond in various ways--sometimes in ways that seem mysterious to the onlooker. Discuss the following:
1. Describe how the King, Marlowe, and Sean each respond to liberation and discuss why you think they do so. Does each response make sense to those who come to help the POWs? Does it make sense to you, the reader?
2. Choose three characters and discuss how you think the experience at Changi will impact their future behavior. Will the impact be mainly negative? Or will there be some positive outcomes? Do you think any of them suppress the memories of the experience? Why or why not.
3. It is obvious how such a situation as Changi can have a negative effect on those incarcerated there, but it is possible that there are positive outcomes also. Discuss some of the possible positive effects such an experience might have on a person.
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)