|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe bargain out of Sutra?
2. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
3. About what does Torusumi talk?
4. What do some men wonder about Marlowe and the King?
5. What false information does the King relay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
2. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
3. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
4. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
5. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
6. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
7. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
8. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
9. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
10. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
Essay Topic 2
In any situation where a group of men are confined for many months or years, sexual urges often are expressed in homosexual acts, though the men may not be homosexual and do not continue having homosexual relations after joining society. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of homosexuality throughout the novel. Is it generally accepted or scorned? Is homosexuality practiced by men in all ranks and nationalities?
2. Even if you have reservations about homosexuality from a moral and/or social standpoint, do you think such behavior under the circumstances of a place like Changi is understandable? Morally acceptable? Justifiable?
3. In chapter 18, Rodrick tells Marlowe that Sean was ordered to play the part of a woman on stage, although, at first, he is reluctant to do so. Do you think that should be considered a lawful order, punishable by court martial if Sean refuses? Is the order fair? What do you think is the rationale behind ordering Sean to get up on stage and play a woman? Is it for his protection (so he can say he was ordered and would not be harassed)? For the psychological health of the men? Or both?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)