|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
2. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
3. What does Yoshima revoke when he cannot find the radio?
4. What is McCoy so happy?
5. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tiny Timsen.
2. How does Marlowe manage to obtain a radio and what is the King's reaction?
3. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
4. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
5. Describe the transaction between the King and Shagata.
6. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
7. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
8. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
9. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
10. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the idea that a radio is essential to the good morale is introduced. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think the Japanese commander is continually searching for contraband radios. What should happen to a POW who is discovered to have "sold" the location of a camp radio to the Japanese?
2. Demonstrate using examples from the text how the radio contributes to the emotional/psychological well being of the men.
3. How does a radio play into the actual survival of the POWs at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)