|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
2. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
3. What is borehole detail?
4. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
5. Of what could Marlowe eventually die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lt. Grey compromise his honor and what is his reaction after doing so?
2. Describe the pursuit and escape of Marlowe with the money.
3. Why does Sean refuse to go on stage and what changes his mind?
4. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
5. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
6. Who does the King invite to start up a rat breeding operation and what is the plan?
7. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
8. Who intercepts Lt. Grey as he goes to arrest Prouty and Marlowe, and why does Grey allow himself to be distracted?
9. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
10. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)