|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
2. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
3. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
4. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
5. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene where Marlowe acts as a go-between.
2. How does Marlowe manage to obtain a radio and what is the King's reaction?
3. How do Marlowe and the King go outside to wire, and where do they go?
4. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
5. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
6. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
7. Describe the "birthday party" of the elite who are invited to a barbecue.
8. Describe the negotiations between Timsen and the King for medical help for Marlowe.
9. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
10. What happens when Lt. Grey stumbles from illness and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)