|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
4. What does Shagata do?
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
This section contains 2,592 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)