|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the rat breeders installed a trap door to the "kennels"?
2. What is essential to the rat project?
3. How does the King get Vexley talking about rat breeding?
4. What does Grey see the King do?
5. How long is the first litter's gestation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
2. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
3. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
4. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
5. What message does Grey get and how does he respond?
6. Who is the Provost Marshal and what is he doing at the opening of Chapter 1.
7. Describe The King.
8. Why are Marlowe and Cox standing sentry duty?
9. Describe Steven.
10. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 2
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)