|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Steven complain?
2. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
3. Who may sit on the lone throne?
4. What does Lt. Grey want in Chapter 11?
5. What secret does the King leak to the Australians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marlowe run for his water bottle?
2. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
3. How does Marlowe astound the King?
4. Describe Lt. Grey.
5. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
6. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
7. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
8. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
9. Describe The King.
10. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
This section contains 1,484 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)