|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the conspirators wonder in Hut 16?
2. What secret does the King leak to the Australians?
3. Who is Peter Marlowe?
4. What is Maj. Barry asking King to sell?
5. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
2. Describe the raid on Hut 16 and how Daven reacts.
3. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
4. Describe The King.
5. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
6. Who is the Provost Marshal and what is he doing at the opening of Chapter 1.
7. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
8. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
9. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
10. Describe Steven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 3
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)