|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Daven and Cox?
2. What does Lt. Grey want in Chapter 11?
3. What does King give Marlowe?
4. What does Grey tell Larkin?
5. About what is the King thinking when he spies a man talking with a native?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
2. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
3. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
4. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
5. Why are Marlowe and Cox standing sentry duty?
6. What does Malowe learn about rats?
7. Describe Max.
8. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
9. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
10. Describe the first meeting between The King and Marlowe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 2
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
Essay Topic 3
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)