|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the King summon into his hut?
2. Why does Marlowe get the King in trouble in the first place?
3. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
4. Why does Larkin punish Pvt. Gurble?
5. Who is Peter Marlowe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
2. What does Dr. Kennedy say about Marlowe's arm?
3. Why will the airfield detail have an agreeable aspect to it?
4. Describe Tiny Timsen.
5. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
6. What does President Truman demand and how does this affect life in the camp and for Marlowe, McCoy and Larkin?
7. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
8. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
9. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
10. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
Essay Topic 1
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 2
"Politics" and manipulation influence much of what happens in KING RAT. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in KING RAT and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate others and their responses to the manipulators.
3. Do you think the Politics of a group of civilians in a similar situation would be different from that of the military, which has a system of rank that in some ways limits politics? Or does a military structure limit politics?
Essay Topic 3
In any situation where a group of men are confined for many months or years, sexual urges often are expressed in homosexual acts, though the men may not be homosexual and do not continue having homosexual relations after joining society. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of homosexuality throughout the novel. Is it generally accepted or scorned? Is homosexuality practiced by men in all ranks and nationalities?
2. Even if you have reservations about homosexuality from a moral and/or social standpoint, do you think such behavior under the circumstances of a place like Changi is understandable? Morally acceptable? Justifiable?
3. In chapter 18, Rodrick tells Marlowe that Sean was ordered to play the part of a woman on stage, although, at first, he is reluctant to do so. Do you think that should be considered a lawful order, punishable by court martial if Sean refuses? Is the order fair? What do you think is the rationale behind ordering Sean to get up on stage and play a woman? Is it for his protection (so he can say he was ordered and would not be harassed)? For the psychological health of the men? Or both?
This section contains 3,272 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)