|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Marlowe get the King in trouble in the first place?
3. Where does the King want to set up a rat farm?
4. How soon can a newly-born rat breed?
5. Why can't Marlowe sleep the night after the King talks with him about going outside the wire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
2. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
3. Describe the first meeting between The King and Marlowe.
4. Describe The King.
5. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
6. Why is Lt. Grey happy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
8. What message does Grey get and how does he respond?
9. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
10. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are crucial to the men's survival in a place such as Changi. No one can go it alone. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the relationship between Marlowe and the King. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
2. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and Marlowe. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
3. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and the King? Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration or contempt? Do the men genuinely like each other? Hate each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power in KING RAT. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of survival in KING RAT. What characters are most concerned with survival? Why? What are some symbols of survival? Symbols of resignation? What characters seem determined to survive? Which ones seem not to care about survival? What is the difference between how the two types live?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of nationalism/patriotism. How does the POWs from each nation view patriotism/nationalism? Is patriotism important to the POWs? What about the Korean guards? The Japanese?
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
This section contains 1,771 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)