Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
2. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
3. Who is sitting by Sgt. Masters when the Sgt. dies?
4. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
5. What is Col. Sellars missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lt. Grey think should happen to the diamond and what does Larkin reply?
2. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
3. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
4. What is the reaction of some outsiders to those in the Changi?
5. Describe Tiny Timsen.
6. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
7. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
8. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
9. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
10. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)