|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maj. Barry asking King to sell?
2. What is Grey to check in the ditch by Hut 16?
3. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Who is Tex?
5. Who is Sean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
2. What does Lt. Grey think should happen to the diamond and what does Larkin reply?
3. Why is Lt. Grey happy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
5. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
6. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
7. Why are Marlowe and Cox standing sentry duty?
8. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
9. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
10. Describe the first meeting between The King and Marlowe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are crucial to the men's survival in a place such as Changi. No one can go it alone. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the relationship between Marlowe and the King. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
2. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and Marlowe. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
3. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and the King? Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration or contempt? Do the men genuinely like each other? Hate each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Religion/spirituality often plays a role in a person's ability to survive difficult circumstances. Discuss the following:
1. Choose 5 characters and discuss how religion and/or spirituality plays a role in their lives at Changi. How important is faith to each character? Does faith contribute significantly to the character's survival? How about the character's choices he makes during the incarceration at Changi?
2. Compare/contrast Theo Drinkwater with Father Donovan. Which man seems more sincere? Which seems to truly be interested in the men's welfare? Who seems to live his beliefs the clearest? Is either man all good or all bad? Why or why not.
3. How much of a role would your religious/spiritual beliefs play in your life if you were in Changi?
Essay Topic 3
In any situation where a group of men are confined for many months or years, sexual urges often are expressed in homosexual acts, though the men may not be homosexual and do not continue having homosexual relations after joining society. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of homosexuality throughout the novel. Is it generally accepted or scorned? Is homosexuality practiced by men in all ranks and nationalities?
2. Even if you have reservations about homosexuality from a moral and/or social standpoint, do you think such behavior under the circumstances of a place like Changi is understandable? Morally acceptable? Justifiable?
3. In chapter 18, Rodrick tells Marlowe that Sean was ordered to play the part of a woman on stage, although, at first, he is reluctant to do so. Do you think that should be considered a lawful order, punishable by court martial if Sean refuses? Is the order fair? What do you think is the rationale behind ordering Sean to get up on stage and play a woman? Is it for his protection (so he can say he was ordered and would not be harassed)? For the psychological health of the men? Or both?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)