|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take to construct a radio?
2. What does King give Marlowe?
3. Who reprimands both Lt. Grey and the man he summons?
4. What do the conspirators wonder in Hut 16?
5. What is Maj. Barry asking King to sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
2. How does Marlowe astound the King?
3. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
4. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
5. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
6. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
7. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
8. Describe The King.
9. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
10. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lt. Grey feels in a moral quandary about using paper from a Bible to roll cigarettes. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss several moral quandaries in which various characters find themselves. What usually wins out: morality or survival?
2. Are all the moral choices about survival? Are there other moral choices the characters have to make that has nothing to do with their survival--or are all choices in a place such as Changi linked to survival?
3. Discuss five characters and the limits they put upon themselves as far as their choices between right and wrong. In other words, do the characters have a point at which they will not go beyond even to ensure their survival?
Essay Topic 2
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,579 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)