|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eve?
2. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
3. What does the doctor rule as cause of death on Gurble?
4. Who drinks quinine and then has nightmares?
5. What does Grey use Marlowe for concerning the diamond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
2. What does Malowe learn about rats?
3. Why are Marlowe and Cox standing sentry duty?
4. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
5. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
6. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
7. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
8. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
9. Describe the raid on Hut 16 and how Daven reacts.
10. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
Essay Topic 2
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)