|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting by Sgt. Masters when the Sgt. dies?
2. Who is Lt. Grey summoning?
3. Who leads a raid?
4. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
5. What does Kurt bring in at the end of Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe The King.
2. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
3. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
4. Describe Max.
5. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
6. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
7. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
8. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
9. How does Marlowe astound the King?
10. Who is the Provost Marshal and what is he doing at the opening of Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the idea that a radio is essential to the good morale is introduced. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think the Japanese commander is continually searching for contraband radios. What should happen to a POW who is discovered to have "sold" the location of a camp radio to the Japanese?
2. Demonstrate using examples from the text how the radio contributes to the emotional/psychological well being of the men.
3. How does a radio play into the actual survival of the POWs at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)