Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
2. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
3. Who is sitting by Sgt. Masters when the Sgt. dies?
4. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
5. What is Col. Sellars missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lt. Grey think should happen to the diamond and what does Larkin reply?
2. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
3. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
4. What is the reaction of some outsiders to those in the Changi?
5. Describe Tiny Timsen.
6. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
7. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
8. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
9. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
10. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
Essay Topic 1
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Col Smedly-Taylor with Col. Kennedy . Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Capt. Brough to Lt. Grey. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful?
3. Compare/contrast the way the Americans military is structured and how the men interact within their ranks to that of the British. Who is more strictly organized? Who has more rules and regulations? Which group would you prefer to belong to? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)