|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marlowe learn that the King has a temper?
2. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
3. Who is Tex?
4. What does Lt. Grey want in Chapter 11?
5. What does the doctor rule as cause of death on Gurble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
2. What does Malowe learn about rats?
3. Why is Lt. Grey happy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. Describe the raid on Hut 16 and how Daven reacts.
5. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
6. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
7. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
8. Describe Steven.
9. Why does Marlowe run for his water bottle?
10. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power in KING RAT. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of survival in KING RAT. What characters are most concerned with survival? Why? What are some symbols of survival? Symbols of resignation? What characters seem determined to survive? Which ones seem not to care about survival? What is the difference between how the two types live?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of nationalism/patriotism. How does the POWs from each nation view patriotism/nationalism? Is patriotism important to the POWs? What about the Korean guards? The Japanese?
Essay Topic 3
The British "stiff upper lip" mentality and class consciousness clashes somewhat with the American and Australian egalitarianism and their greater freedom to complain without censure. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think class consciousness in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
2. What do you think the phrase "maintain a stiff upper lip means"? Give examples of it from the text.
3. Do you think maintaining a stiff upper lip in such a situation as the Changi prison camp helps or hinders survival? Explain your stance fully with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)