|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who may sit on the lone throne?
2. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
3. Why does Marlowe get the King in trouble in the first place?
4. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
5. Of what does Grey say he has heard rumors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lt. Grey happy at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What message does Grey get and how does he respond?
3. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
4. Describe the first meeting between The King and Marlowe.
5. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
6. Describe the raid on Hut 16 and how Daven reacts.
7. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
8. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
9. What does Malowe learn about rats?
10. How does Marlowe astound the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In any situation where a group of men are confined for many months or years, sexual urges often are expressed in homosexual acts, though the men may not be homosexual and do not continue having homosexual relations after joining society. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of homosexuality throughout the novel. Is it generally accepted or scorned? Is homosexuality practiced by men in all ranks and nationalities?
2. Even if you have reservations about homosexuality from a moral and/or social standpoint, do you think such behavior under the circumstances of a place like Changi is understandable? Morally acceptable? Justifiable?
3. In chapter 18, Rodrick tells Marlowe that Sean was ordered to play the part of a woman on stage, although, at first, he is reluctant to do so. Do you think that should be considered a lawful order, punishable by court martial if Sean refuses? Is the order fair? What do you think is the rationale behind ordering Sean to get up on stage and play a woman? Is it for his protection (so he can say he was ordered and would not be harassed)? For the psychological health of the men? Or both?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 12, as the King haggles with Torusumi about selling a wath, King is very much aware of the fact that saving Face is an essential element of the Asian mindset. If the King gives Torusumi the opportunity to save face, it will make for a more successful transaction and keep Torusumi from seeking revenge. Discuss the following:
1. Research the concept of "saving face" and write in your own words a definition for the concept.
2. How does the King allow Torusumi to "save face"?
3. Does the King seem concerned with saving face in this transaction? What about in any other situation in the book?
4. Which characters seem concerned with saving face? How do they demonstrate this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)