|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the King help McCoy?
2. How does Marlowe learn that the King has a temper?
3. For what do the Korean guards search?
4. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
5. What is Rusa tikus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
2. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
3. Describe Lt. Grey.
4. Describe the first meeting between The King and Marlowe.
5. Who is the Provost Marshal and what is he doing at the opening of Chapter 1.
6. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
7. Why does Marlowe run for his water bottle?
8. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
9. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
10. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In any situation where a group of men are confined for many months or years, sexual urges often are expressed in homosexual acts, though the men may not be homosexual and do not continue having homosexual relations after joining society. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of homosexuality throughout the novel. Is it generally accepted or scorned? Is homosexuality practiced by men in all ranks and nationalities?
2. Even if you have reservations about homosexuality from a moral and/or social standpoint, do you think such behavior under the circumstances of a place like Changi is understandable? Morally acceptable? Justifiable?
3. In chapter 18, Rodrick tells Marlowe that Sean was ordered to play the part of a woman on stage, although, at first, he is reluctant to do so. Do you think that should be considered a lawful order, punishable by court martial if Sean refuses? Is the order fair? What do you think is the rationale behind ordering Sean to get up on stage and play a woman? Is it for his protection (so he can say he was ordered and would not be harassed)? For the psychological health of the men? Or both?
Essay Topic 2
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are crucial to the men's survival in a place such as Changi. No one can go it alone. Discuss the following:
1. Describe the relationship between Marlowe and the King. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
2. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and Marlowe. Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration? Do the men genuinely like each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
3. Describe the relationship between Lt. Grey and the King? Upon what is it based? Is there mutual admiration or contempt? Do the men genuinely like each other? Hate each other? Is the relationship mostly about using each other? Why or why not? Does the relationship stand the test of change? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)