|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fault does Col. Brant find with the King?
2. Of what does Grey say he has heard rumors?
3. What does Grey tell Larkin?
4. On what does Grey splurge?
5. What does Marlowe offer the King after eating King's eggs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
2. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
3. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
4. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
5. How does Marlowe astound the King?
6. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
7. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
8. Describe The King.
9. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
10. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Often in an unusual situation, especially one as difficult as Changi, when the experience comes to a close, people respond in various ways--sometimes in ways that seem mysterious to the onlooker. Discuss the following:
1. Describe how the King, Marlowe, and Sean each respond to liberation and discuss why you think they do so. Does each response make sense to those who come to help the POWs? Does it make sense to you, the reader?
2. Choose three characters and discuss how you think the experience at Changi will impact their future behavior. Will the impact be mainly negative? Or will there be some positive outcomes? Do you think any of them suppress the memories of the experience? Why or why not.
3. It is obvious how such a situation as Changi can have a negative effect on those incarcerated there, but it is possible that there are positive outcomes also. Discuss some of the possible positive effects such an experience might have on a person.
Essay Topic 3
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)