Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
2. Who learns to cook the weed gratis?
3. Who is sitting by Sgt. Masters when the Sgt. dies?
4. Who promises to take care of the man in question #83?
5. What is Col. Sellars missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lt. Grey think should happen to the diamond and what does Larkin reply?
2. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
3. Describe Col. Kennedy's reactions to Steven.
4. What is the reaction of some outsiders to those in the Changi?
5. Describe Tiny Timsen.
6. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
7. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
8. Describe the visit between the King and Sgt. Masters.
9. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
10. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
"Politics" and manipulation influence much of what happens in KING RAT. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in KING RAT and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate others and their responses to the manipulators.
3. Do you think the Politics of a group of civilians in a similar situation would be different from that of the military, which has a system of rank that in some ways limits politics? Or does a military structure limit politics?
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
Right from the very beginning, it is obvious that some men will survive their experience in the camp and some will not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who survive and do so quite well in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
2. Describe the physical/emotional/spiritual/psychological characteristics of the men who do not survive or fare poorly in the camp. Who are some of those men? Describe each one briefly.
3. Analyze your own personality and discuss whether you think you would be a survivor or not. Choose several situations and discuss how you would have managed them.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)