|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Grey read?
2. What does King want Marlowe to do?
3. How soon can a newly-born rat breed?
4. What does Marlowe find shady?
5. What is Vexley's favorite topic in biology class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
2. Describe Max.
3. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
4. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
5. What does Malowe learn about rats?
6. What are Max, Tex and Marlowe doing at the opening of Chapter 9 and why?
7. Describe Steven.
8. Why does Marlowe run for his water bottle?
9. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
10. Describe the raid on Hut 16 and how Daven reacts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss KING RAT based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if KING RAT is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that KING RAT is based upon a real-life experience of the author changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Malowe and Lt. Grey. How are they the same? How are they different?
2. What do you think would have happened if these two characters, Marlowe and the King never existed in the story? Use events from the book where the direct influence of Marlowe and Lt. Grey have an impact on others.
3. Who is the better leader, Marlowe or Lt. Grey? Cite several examples from the book to support your case.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)