|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What POW camp is Marlowe in before coming to Changi?
2. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
3. On what does Grey splurge?
4. Why does the King panic at Marlowe's request?
5. What does the doctor rule as cause of death on Gurble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
2. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
3. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
4. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
5. Describe The King.
6. What does Malowe learn about rats?
7. Describe Flt. Lt. Peter Marlowe.
8. What does Lt. Grey think should happen to the diamond and what does Larkin reply?
9. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
10. How does Marlowe astound the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, the idea that a radio is essential to the good morale is introduced. Discuss the following:
1. Explain why you think the Japanese commander is continually searching for contraband radios. What should happen to a POW who is discovered to have "sold" the location of a camp radio to the Japanese?
2. Demonstrate using examples from the text how the radio contributes to the emotional/psychological well being of the men.
3. How does a radio play into the actual survival of the POWs at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
Essay Topic 3
Japanese regard Westerners who surrender as dishonored and strip officers of their rank. Discuss the following:
1. After research, compare/contrast Japanese and Western views of surrender.
2. Discuss the ways the Japanese attitudes towards surrender and POWs impacted their treatment of the prisoners in Changi.
3.. Truman demanded and received unconditional surrender from Japan. How do you think this impacted the Japanese National psyche? How do you think someone such as Yoshima in King Rat would explain the Japanese willingness to surrender?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)