|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are two potential problems in raising the rats?
2. What is Col. Sellars missing?
3. How does the King get Vexley talking about rat breeding?
4. What did Smedly-Taylor ask of Cox and Daven?
5. What does Marlowe ask of King?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlowe, Larkin and Smedly-Taylor decide to pass on the news to the camp after getting the radio working and what is the result?
2. What does President Truman demand and how does this affect life in the camp and for Marlowe, McCoy and Larkin?
3. What happens when the King offers Marlowe $108 dollars as Marlowe's take in the transaction with Prouty's watch?
4. Describe Max.
5. With what does Larkin surprise Marlowe and why does he do so?
6. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
7. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
8. What does Yoshima find and what is the result of finding it?
9. Why are Marlowe and Cox standing sentry duty?
10. What does Gen. Shima say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lt. Grey accepts the principle of the lesser evil and that the ends justify the means. Discuss the following:
1. Define and discuss the phase "the ends justifies the means"?
2. What is the "ends" for the men in Changi? What is the means of obtaining that end? Is the means always good? Moral? Justified?
3. Can someone in such a situation as Changi choose to always take the "high road" and still survive? Do any of the characters do so? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 2
"Politics" and manipulation influence much of what happens in KING RAT. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe the political situation in KING RAT and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
2. Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate others and their responses to the manipulators.
3. Do you think the Politics of a group of civilians in a similar situation would be different from that of the military, which has a system of rank that in some ways limits politics? Or does a military structure limit politics?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
This section contains 3,219 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)