|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rusa tikus?
2. Where does Col. Kennedy go after talking with the King?
3. Why is Lt. Grey summoning the person?
4. What is Eve?
5. For what do the Korean guards search?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Marlowe and the King reestablish their friendship after the King blows up at Marlowe about the radio?
2. Why are King and Marlowe in the King's tent at the opening of Chapter 19 and what happens?
3. Describe the negotiations for the diamond.
4. Who gets a letter from home and how does it seem many POWs feel about letters?
5. What are Lt. Grey's thoughts after being assigned new duties?
6. Why isn't Marlowe successful in going after the money and how is he care for with the medicines Timsen gets?
7. What does Vexley teach and how does it help the rat business?
8. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
9. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
10. Describe the reaction of the first arrival of the American forces at Changi camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Marlowe's stories demonstrate how racism is integral to the Asian war.
1. Using Marlowe's stories in Chapter 6, discuss how racism adds to the normal atrocities of the war in the Pacific theater.
2. Research and discuss the Japanese racial beliefs in connection both with other Asian nations and with non-Oriental nations.
3. Research and discuss how the Americans used racism against the Japanese for propaganda in gaining support for the war in the Pacific. How do you think American racism influenced how Americans treat Japanese prisoners?
4. How much do you think racism play in the Japanese internment camps in the United States during WWII?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Give a brief statement of the plot of KING RAT
2. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in KING RAT. How do you think KING RAT be different if this were a POW camp in Germany? In Italy?
3. Discuss thoroughly how you think a POW camp run by the Americans or British would differ from Changi. (This will require some research.)
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of power in KING RAT. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of survival in KING RAT. What characters are most concerned with survival? Why? What are some symbols of survival? Symbols of resignation? What characters seem determined to survive? Which ones seem not to care about survival? What is the difference between how the two types live?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of nationalism/patriotism. How does the POWs from each nation view patriotism/nationalism? Is patriotism important to the POWs? What about the Korean guards? The Japanese?
This section contains 3,429 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)