|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe ask of King?
(a) To help the doctor.
(b) A light for his cigarette.
(c) To befriend another enlisted man.
(d) To help the chaplain.
2. What does Col. Kennedy want to know from the King?
(a) The secret of the King's health and success.
(b) Why Lt. Grey keeps going to the enlisted latrines.
(c) What Marlowe is doing outside the wire.
(d) Why Sgt. Masters didn't get enough quinine in time.
3. Who does the King summon into his hut?
(a) The man speaking with the native.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A laundry woman.
(d) The camp stoolie.
4. What is essential to the rat project?
(a) The permission of the officers.
(b) To have enough space.
(c) That it be kept a secret.
(d) The tacit permission of the Korean guards.
5. What is a worse place than the Changi camp?
(a) The Utram Road jail.
(b) The Ginseng dungeons.
(c) The Ultra fortress.
(d) No place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eve?
2. About what does Grey read?
3. What does Dr. Prudhomme announce?
4. On what do the officers depend heavily for survival?
5. Why does Grey feel defeated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Col. Brant reprimand and for what reason?
2. What do the King, Marlowe and Max talk about concerning the rat project?
3. What is the status of Eve at the opening of Chapter 11?
4. What secret does the King leak to the Australians and how does Marlowe react to the news?
5. How does Marlowe demonstrate the part of his personality that might be labeled risk taker or thrill seeker?
6. Why does Lt. Grey arrest two of Larkin's men and what is Larkin's response?
7. Why are Marlowe's bungalow mates upset that Marlowe refuses the King's offer of a percentage of the tobacco profits?
8. How does Marlowe astound the King?
9. Describe Steven.
10. Describe Col. Grant Larkin.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)