|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
(a) The first day of Spring.
(b) May Day.
(c) Memorial day.
(d) V-E day.
2. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
(a) A pass to the village.
(b) A pound of extra rations.
(c) A quart of rice.
(d) A recommendation for a permanent commission after the war.
3. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
(a) That he is on the King's payroll.
(b) That he likes Steven.
(c) That he is willing to break the rules.
(d) That he is friends with Lt. Grey.
4. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(b) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(c) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
(d) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
5. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
(a) If Hawkins cries about his dog.
(b) Why Hawkins is all beat up.
(c) If Hawkins knows his dog was eaten.
(d) If Hawkins plans any revenge.
6. What does Jones order Blakely to do?
(a) Claim innocence and accuse Grey of demanding bribes.
(b) Nothing; Jones will handle it.
(c) Go into hiding in the camp.
(d) Run outside the wire.
7. What is the rumor about the airfield?
(a) That three coconut trees will be felled.
(b) It is going to be paved.
(c) It flooded in the last rain and is now full of pits and holes.
(d) That it is being abandoned so the Americans have no good place to land.
8. About what does Smedly-Talyor laugh after Lt. Grey leaves?
(a) Grey thinking Smedly-Taylor is clean.
(b) Grey being in the regular army.
(c) Grey arresting Marlowe.
(d) Nothing; he is worried Grey will go over his head.
9. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
(a) To call a meeting of the highest-ranking officers and let them decide.
(b) To trick the Korean guards into telling the news.
(c) They decide not to say anything since things are not going that well.
(d) For each to tell two friends, who tell two friends.
10. How much does the King take as his commission?
11. What does the King do with the ring?
(a) Hands it over to the Korean guards.
(b) Gives it to Lt. Grey as a bribe.
(c) Throws it as far as possible into the jungle.
(d) Swallows it.
12. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
(a) Habeaus Corpus.
(b) Caveat emptor.
(c) Veni, vidi, vici.
(d) Mea culpa.
13. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
(a) A man with a mask and a small pistol.
(b) Four men in masks with heavy sticks.
(c) Col. Brant.
(d) The Korean guards.
14. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(b) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
(c) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
(d) To keep out nosey guards.
15. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
(b) Only 120 dollars.
(c) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
(d) Only 75 dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe wish?
2. What does Kennedy tell Marlowe?
3. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
4. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
5. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)