|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
(a) He trips.
(b) On wood detail.
(c) A dog mauls him.
(d) In a fight.
2. About what does Torusumi talk?
(a) That the Japanese plan to kill all the prisoners before the Japanese withdraw.
(b) That his wife would love the diamond.
(c) That if he cannot get the diamond, he will turn them in.
(d) Home life and Koreans' hatred of the Japanese overlords.
3. Why does the King trip?
(a) To trip Grey and make it look like an accident.
(b) To give Marlowe a chance to get away with the money.
(c) He missess seeing a root sticking up out of the ground.
(d) He has his shoes on the wrong feet.
4. Who cleaned up Marlowe when he was first captured?
(a) Larkin and Mccoy.
(b) Lt. Grey.
(d) Sgt. Masters.
5. What does the King explain to Marlowe in an effort to soothe Marlowe?
(a) The risks and benefits of business.
(b) That the guard is going to rip someone else off with the same watch.
(c) That Prouty stole the watch anyway.
(d) That Prouty will be able to feed his group regardless.
6. What does Grey find on the King when he catches him?
(a) A couple dollars.
(c) A watch.
(d) A pipe.
7. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
(a) That he is friends with Lt. Grey.
(b) That he likes Steven.
(c) That he is on the King's payroll.
(d) That he is willing to break the rules.
8. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
(b) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(c) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(d) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
9. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
(b) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(c) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(d) It is a family heirloom.
10. What does Shagata report?
(a) Cheng is no longer interested in the deal.
(b) Cheng has been executed.
(c) Cheng has been released and has the money.
(d) Cheng has been exiled.
11. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
(a) He is honest.
(b) He loves his family.
(c) He is a liar.
(d) He is hurting for cash.
12. What do some men wonder about Marlowe and the King?
(a) If Marlowe has something on the King.
(b) If they are lovers.
(c) If the King is paying Marlowe.
(d) If they will go into business together after the war.
13. What is the rumor about the airfield?
(a) That three coconut trees will be felled.
(b) It flooded in the last rain and is now full of pits and holes.
(c) That it is being abandoned so the Americans have no good place to land.
(d) It is going to be paved.
14. What does the King do with the ring?
(a) Throws it as far as possible into the jungle.
(b) Hands it over to the Korean guards.
(c) Gives it to Lt. Grey as a bribe.
(d) Swallows it.
15. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
(b) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
(c) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
(d) Attack Yoshima.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the King say he will pay Timsen?
2. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
3. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
4. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
5. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)