|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King tell the officers that sobers them briefly as they are laughing and playing?
(a) That Lt. Grey has incriminating evidence against them all.
(b) That the Allies dropped two atomic bombs on Japan.
(c) That the Allies will be invading within weeks.
(d) That they are about to eat Rover's hindquarters.
2. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
(b) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(c) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(d) It is a family heirloom.
3. What does Marlowe wish?
(a) That the Allies would get there.
(b) That he had taken the $108 dollar commission.
(c) That the King would leave Marlowe alone.
(d) That life could be simple again and he could talk to God without shame.
4. Who gets a letter from his wife?
5. To whom does Marlowe send coconuts?
(d) Torusumi and Shoko.
6. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) Only 120 dollars.
(b) Only 75 dollars.
(c) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
(d) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
7. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
(a) It is an accident.
(b) He is angry with Marlowe.
(c) To force him to concentrate.
(d) He is demonstrating a judo technique.
8. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
(a) To Cell 54.
(b) To watch a new play by Steven.
(c) To go outside the wire that night.
(d) To lunch in his hut.
9. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 1 day.
10. What does the King promise if Marlowe will go bury the money in the jungle?
(a) To help him meet up with Sulina again.
(b) To save Marlowe's arm.
(c) To give him some of his bodyguards if needed.
(d) To give Marlowe half of the profits.
11. Who cleaned up Marlowe when he was first captured?
(a) Lt. Grey.
(b) Larkin and Mccoy.
(c) Sgt. Masters.
12. What do some men wonder about Marlowe and the King?
(a) If the King is paying Marlowe.
(b) If Marlowe has something on the King.
(c) If they will go into business together after the war.
(d) If they are lovers.
13. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
(c) The King.
14. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
(a) On wood detail.
(b) He trips.
(c) A dog mauls him.
(d) In a fight.
15. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
(a) Four men in masks with heavy sticks.
(b) A man with a mask and a small pistol.
(c) Col. Brant.
(d) The Korean guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe bargain out of Sutra?
2. What is the rumor about the airfield?
3. What does Jones order Blakely to do?
4. How much does the King take as his commission?
5. Of what could Marlowe eventually die?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)