|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
(a) Why he was captured.
(b) The first prison Marlowe was in.
(c) His young son and daughter.
(d) His wife.
2. About what is Samson envious concerning Marlowe?
(a) That Marlowe has three laying hens.
(b) That Marlowe has a gorgeous wife.
(c) That Marlowe is close to the King.
(d) That Marlowe has gone outside the wire several times.
3. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) It is a family heirloom.
(b) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(c) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(d) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
4. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
(a) For not distributing the coconuts fairly.
(b) For selling a fountain pen to a Korean guard.
(c) For disobeying orders.
(d) For eating dog.
5. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
(a) That he is friends with Lt. Grey.
(b) That he is on the King's payroll.
(c) That he is willing to break the rules.
(d) That he likes Steven.
6. What is McCoy so happy?
(a) He gets out of borehold detail to fix the radio.
(b) He is given a field promotion.
(c) Marlowe gives him the capacitor and it works.
(d) He receives a letter from his wife.
7. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(b) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(c) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
(d) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
8. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
(a) It no longer matters.
(b) It is almost over.
(c) It will never end.
(d) It will drag on for several more years.
9. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
(a) The first day of Spring.
(b) Memorial day.
(c) May Day.
(d) V-E day.
10. What does Shagata do?
(a) Authenticates the ring, hands over the money, and leaves.
(b) Tells them the deal is off.
(c) Take the ring and the money.
(d) Kills Tex by accident when Tex trips and falls against him.
11. What does Shagata report?
(a) Cheng has been exiled.
(b) Cheng is no longer interested in the deal.
(c) Cheng has been released and has the money.
(d) Cheng has been executed.
12. Why are the King and his cohorts having a hard time making more cages?
(a) Wire is in short supply.
(b) They are being watched so carefully.
(c) They are all weak from malaria.
(d) They don't have any more underground tunnels to put the cages in.
13. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
(a) Steven and Max.
(b) Max and McCoy.
(c) Tex and Max.
14. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 10 hours.
(d) 5 days.
15. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He is not squeamish.
(b) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(c) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
(d) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the King take as his commission?
2. To whom does Marlowe send coconuts?
3. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
4. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
5. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)