|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
(b) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(c) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
(d) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
2. About what is Ewart furious?
(a) Not knowing his family's fate.
(b) That McCoy tells a secret Ewart trusted him with.
(c) That Marlowe pretends he doesn't know Ewart.
(d) That Lt. Grey spills Ewart's rations.
3. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
(a) He wants to impress Marlowe.
(b) The King asks him to do so.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He is happy McCoy is getting better.
4. What is borehole detail?
(a) Scooping cockroaches out of the latrines.
(b) Cleaning out old boreholds and taking the contents to the jungle.
(c) Digging new boreholes.
(d) Checking to see that the boreholes are covered appropriately.
5. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(a) End his show when the guards arrive.
(b) Go on stage.
(c) Dress up as a woman.
6. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
(a) They decide not to say anything since things are not going that well.
(b) To trick the Korean guards into telling the news.
(c) To call a meeting of the highest-ranking officers and let them decide.
(d) For each to tell two friends, who tell two friends.
7. What do some men wonder about Marlowe and the King?
(a) If they will go into business together after the war.
(b) If they are lovers.
(c) If the King is paying Marlowe.
(d) If Marlowe has something on the King.
8. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
(a) One of the Korean guards.
(b) No one.
(c) A young, pretty woman.
(d) An elderly peasant.
9. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
(a) Veni, vidi, vici.
(b) Habeaus Corpus.
(c) Caveat emptor.
(d) Mea culpa.
10. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
(a) The Korean guards.
(b) Col. Brant.
(c) Four men in masks with heavy sticks.
(d) A man with a mask and a small pistol.
11. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
(a) Builds a good shelter.
(b) Lies down and has delusions because of malaria.
(c) Lives off the land.
(d) Assimilates Javanese culture.
12. Why does the King trip?
(a) He missess seeing a root sticking up out of the ground.
(b) To give Marlowe a chance to get away with the money.
(c) He has his shoes on the wrong feet.
(d) To trip Grey and make it look like an accident.
13. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
(b) Attack Yoshima.
(c) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
(d) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
14. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
(a) On wood detail.
(b) He trips.
(c) A dog mauls him.
(d) In a fight.
15. What does Timsen not guarantee?
(a) If the treatment will be effective.
(b) If he can find the ring.
(c) If he can find some quinine.
(d) If the doctor will agree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the King give Prouty?
2. What secret of Grey's does the King know?
3. What does the doctor warn Marlowe about his arm?
4. What does the King tell the officers that sobers them briefly as they are laughing and playing?
5. How much does the King actually get from the Korean guard?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)