|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
(b) Only 120 dollars.
(c) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
(d) Only 75 dollars.
2. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
(a) The King.
3. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) The King asks him to do so.
(c) He wants to impress Marlowe.
(d) He is happy McCoy is getting better.
4. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
(b) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
(c) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(d) He is not squeamish.
5. What does the doctor warn Marlowe about his arm?
(a) The muscle has atrophied.
(b) This ligaments are torn.
(c) That it is not infected but could get that way soon.
(d) It could get grangrene.
6. To whom does Marlowe send coconuts?
(c) Torusumi and Shoko.
7. About what is Ewart furious?
(a) That Marlowe pretends he doesn't know Ewart.
(b) Not knowing his family's fate.
(c) That Lt. Grey spills Ewart's rations.
(d) That McCoy tells a secret Ewart trusted him with.
8. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
(a) One of the Korean guards.
(b) An elderly peasant.
(c) A young, pretty woman.
(d) No one.
9. Why are the King and his cohorts having a hard time making more cages?
(a) They don't have any more underground tunnels to put the cages in.
(b) Wire is in short supply.
(c) They are all weak from malaria.
(d) They are being watched so carefully.
10. About what does Smedly-Talyor laugh after Lt. Grey leaves?
(a) Grey arresting Marlowe.
(b) Grey being in the regular army.
(c) Nothing; he is worried Grey will go over his head.
(d) Grey thinking Smedly-Taylor is clean.
11. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(b) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(c) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
(d) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
12. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
(a) For selling a fountain pen to a Korean guard.
(b) For not distributing the coconuts fairly.
(c) For eating dog.
(d) For disobeying orders.
13. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(a) End his show when the guards arrive.
(b) Go on stage.
(d) Dress up as a woman.
14. What has Grey learned from his spy about the diamond?
(a) It is a fake.
(b) It is about to change hands soon.
(c) It has been stolen by a Korean guard.
(d) It is more valuable than first thought.
15. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
(a) Habeaus Corpus.
(b) Mea culpa.
(c) Veni, vidi, vici.
(d) Caveat emptor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yoshima revoke when he cannot find the radio?
2. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
3. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
4. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
5. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)