|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(b) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
(c) It is a family heirloom.
(d) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
2. Why are the King and his cohorts having a hard time making more cages?
(a) They don't have any more underground tunnels to put the cages in.
(b) They are being watched so carefully.
(c) Wire is in short supply.
(d) They are all weak from malaria.
3. What does Kennedy tell Marlowe?
(a) He can only wait a few more days before amutating.
(b) He has to amputate above the elbow that day or it will be too late.
(c) He can not longer operate as the arm is too far gone.
(d) The arm looks as though it is getting better on its own.
4. About what is Ewart furious?
(a) Not knowing his family's fate.
(b) That McCoy tells a secret Ewart trusted him with.
(c) That Lt. Grey spills Ewart's rations.
(d) That Marlowe pretends he doesn't know Ewart.
5. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(b) Go on stage.
(c) End his show when the guards arrive.
(d) Dress up as a woman.
6. What does the King ask Timsen?
(a) To cut in on the ring profits to find some quinine for Tex.
(b) To get some antitoxin and sulfonamide powder.
(d) To find the ring.
7. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(c) Col. Brant.
(d) Col. Kennedy.
8. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Attack Yoshima.
(b) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
(c) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
(d) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
9. Who intercepts Grey to keep him from arresting the King and Marlowe?
(a) Col. Kennedy.
(b) Col. Brant.
(d) Major Beadly.
10. What does Yoshima revoke when he cannot find the radio?
(a) The privilege of walking freely through camp.
(b) The privilege of having camp plays.
(c) The return to standard rations.
(d) The privilege of playing music with homemade instruments.
11. What is the doctor's consolation to Marlowe if he has to amputate?
(a) He may still live.
(b) They have ether.
(c) There is a sterilizer.
(d) He is very fast since he's had a lot of practise.
12. Why does the King trip?
(a) To give Marlowe a chance to get away with the money.
(b) He missess seeing a root sticking up out of the ground.
(c) He has his shoes on the wrong feet.
(d) To trip Grey and make it look like an accident.
13. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(b) He is not squeamish.
(c) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
(d) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
14. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
(a) V-E day.
(b) May Day.
(c) The first day of Spring.
(d) Memorial day.
15. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
(a) His young son and daughter.
(b) Why he was captured.
(c) His wife.
(d) The first prison Marlowe was in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
2. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
3. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
4. What is McCoy so happy?
5. What does the doctor warn Marlowe about his arm?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)