|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
(b) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
(c) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(d) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
2. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
(a) The first prison Marlowe was in.
(b) His young son and daughter.
(c) Why he was captured.
(d) His wife.
3. Why does the King trip?
(a) He missess seeing a root sticking up out of the ground.
(b) To give Marlowe a chance to get away with the money.
(c) To trip Grey and make it look like an accident.
(d) He has his shoes on the wrong feet.
4. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
(a) To bow to Torusumi.
(b) To make the guards understand even is Marlowe has to translate some things loosely.
(c) To translate to and from Malay very precisely.
(d) To not shake hands with Torusumi.
5. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) 1 day.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 2 hours.
6. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Col. Kennedy.
(d) Col. Brant.
7. Why does Larkin make a batch of blachang?
(a) He is happy McCoy is getting better.
(b) The King asks him to do so.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He wants to impress Marlowe.
8. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
(a) For selling a fountain pen to a Korean guard.
(b) For disobeying orders.
(c) For not distributing the coconuts fairly.
(d) For eating dog.
9. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
(b) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
(c) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(d) He is not squeamish.
10. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
(a) A young, pretty woman.
(b) An elderly peasant.
(c) One of the Korean guards.
(d) No one.
11. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
(b) The King.
12. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
(a) Col. Brant.
(b) A man with a mask and a small pistol.
(c) Four men in masks with heavy sticks.
(d) The Korean guards.
13. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(b) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
(c) To keep out nosey guards.
(d) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
14. About what does Torusumi talk?
(a) Home life and Koreans' hatred of the Japanese overlords.
(b) That if he cannot get the diamond, he will turn them in.
(c) That his wife would love the diamond.
(d) That the Japanese plan to kill all the prisoners before the Japanese withdraw.
15. What is McCoy so happy?
(a) He is given a field promotion.
(b) Marlowe gives him the capacitor and it works.
(c) He gets out of borehold detail to fix the radio.
(d) He receives a letter from his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King promise if Marlowe will go bury the money in the jungle?
2. How much does the King give Prouty?
3. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
4. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
5. What does Shagata report?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)