|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
(b) The King.
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
(a) He is honest.
(b) He loves his family.
(c) He is a liar.
(d) He is hurting for cash.
3. Who leads Marlowe and the King to the village?
(a) No one.
(b) An elderly peasant.
(c) A young, pretty woman.
(d) One of the Korean guards.
4. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
(a) Lies down and has delusions because of malaria.
(b) Builds a good shelter.
(c) Assimilates Javanese culture.
(d) Lives off the land.
5. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(b) Go on stage.
(c) Dress up as a woman.
(d) End his show when the guards arrive.
6. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
(a) It no longer matters.
(b) It will drag on for several more years.
(c) It will never end.
(d) It is almost over.
7. What does Shagata report?
(a) Cheng is no longer interested in the deal.
(b) Cheng has been released and has the money.
(c) Cheng has been executed.
(d) Cheng has been exiled.
8. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
(a) The weather.
(b) The delicious saki.
(d) The wireless.
9. Why does the King slap Marlowe?
(a) He is angry with Marlowe.
(b) It is an accident.
(c) He is demonstrating a judo technique.
(d) To force him to concentrate.
10. Where does Marlowe go in the morning?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) Outside the wire.
(c) On a liaison with Sulina.
(d) To talk to Col. Smedly-Taylor.
11. What does Shagata do?
(a) Authenticates the ring, hands over the money, and leaves.
(b) Tells them the deal is off.
(c) Take the ring and the money.
(d) Kills Tex by accident when Tex trips and falls against him.
12. How much does the King give Prouty?
13. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
(a) Caveat emptor.
(b) Mea culpa.
(c) Habeaus Corpus.
(d) Veni, vidi, vici.
14. What has Grey learned from his spy about the diamond?
(a) It has been stolen by a Korean guard.
(b) It is about to change hands soon.
(c) It is more valuable than first thought.
(d) It is a fake.
15. How does Marlowe injure his left arm?
(a) A dog mauls him.
(b) On wood detail.
(c) He trips.
(d) In a fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Townsend get the ring?
2. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
3. Who intercepts Grey to keep him from arresting the King and Marlowe?
4. Why does the King trip?
5. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)