|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(a) Go on stage.
(b) End his show when the guards arrive.
(d) Dress up as a woman.
2. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
(a) Mea culpa.
(b) Veni, vidi, vici.
(c) Caveat emptor.
(d) Habeaus Corpus.
3. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To keep out nosey guards.
(b) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
(c) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(d) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
4. How do Marlowe and Ewart fumigate the bed?
(a) With petroleum.
(b) With a concoction made from bamboo roots.
(c) With linseed oil.
(d) With fire.
5. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(b) He is not squeamish.
(c) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
(d) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
6. When does the King say he will pay Timsen?
(a) In a week.
(b) After Marlowe shows signs of getting better.
(c) When Marlowe is well enough to lead him to the money.
(d) That night since Grey is watching things right now.
7. Who gets a letter from his wife?
8. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(c) Col. Brant.
(d) Col. Kennedy.
9. What shocks Marlowe about Samson?
(a) That he is friends with Lt. Grey.
(b) That he likes Steven.
(c) That he is willing to break the rules.
(d) That he is on the King's payroll.
10. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
(a) A recommendation for a permanent commission after the war.
(b) A pound of extra rations.
(c) A pass to the village.
(d) A quart of rice.
11. Who confronts the King and Marlowe after they go away from the MPs?
(a) The Korean guards.
(b) Col. Brant.
(c) Four men in masks with heavy sticks.
(d) A man with a mask and a small pistol.
12. What has Grey learned from his spy about the diamond?
(a) It is about to change hands soon.
(b) It has been stolen by a Korean guard.
(c) It is more valuable than first thought.
(d) It is a fake.
13. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
(a) Steven and Max.
(c) Tex and Max.
(d) Max and McCoy.
14. How long does Yoshima's staff search to find the new radio?
(a) 2 hours.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 10 hours.
(d) 1 day.
15. What does Timsen not guarantee?
(a) If he can find some quinine.
(b) If the treatment will be effective.
(c) If the doctor will agree.
(d) If he can find the ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
2. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
3. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
4. What does the King explain to Marlowe in an effort to soothe Marlowe?
5. How much does the King give Prouty?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)