|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who intercepts Grey to keep him from arresting the King and Marlowe?
(a) Col. Kennedy.
(b) Col. Brant.
(c) Major Beadly.
2. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
(a) The delicious saki.
(b) The weather.
(d) The wireless.
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(b) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
(c) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(d) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
4. What false information does the King relay?
(a) That there was a raid planned by the Americans soon to rescue the prisoners at Changi.
(b) That the diamond belonged to a movie star.
(c) That the diamond belonged to the Queen of England.
(d) Between Prouty and Torusumi.
5. What is McCoy so happy?
(a) He gets out of borehold detail to fix the radio.
(b) He receives a letter from his wife.
(c) He is given a field promotion.
(d) Marlowe gives him the capacitor and it works.
6. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Col. Brant.
(d) Col. Kennedy.
7. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
(a) He is a liar.
(b) He loves his family.
(c) He is honest.
(d) He is hurting for cash.
8. About what is Ewart furious?
(a) That Lt. Grey spills Ewart's rations.
(b) That Marlowe pretends he doesn't know Ewart.
(c) Not knowing his family's fate.
(d) That McCoy tells a secret Ewart trusted him with.
9. What is the show called that Sean is about to premiere?
(a) King Rat.
10. What does Marlowe do in the jungle before his capture?
(a) Lives off the land.
(b) Lies down and has delusions because of malaria.
(c) Assimilates Javanese culture.
(d) Builds a good shelter.
11. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
(a) Why he was captured.
(b) His young son and daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) The first prison Marlowe was in.
12. What does Marlowe wish?
(a) That the Allies would get there.
(b) That life could be simple again and he could talk to God without shame.
(c) That the King would leave Marlowe alone.
(d) That he had taken the $108 dollar commission.
13. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
(a) If Hawkins knows his dog was eaten.
(b) If Hawkins plans any revenge.
(c) If Hawkins cries about his dog.
(d) Why Hawkins is all beat up.
14. About what is Samson envious concerning Marlowe?
(a) That Marlowe is close to the King.
(b) That Marlowe has three laying hens.
(c) That Marlowe has a gorgeous wife.
(d) That Marlowe has gone outside the wire several times.
15. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) Only 75 dollars.
(b) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
(c) Only 120 dollars.
(d) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
2. Why does the King trip?
3. What day is it at the opening to Chapter 6?
4. What does McCoy say to Larkin about Prouty?
5. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)