|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Marlowe send coconuts?
(b) Torusumi and Shoko.
2. Of what could Marlowe eventually die?
(a) Dengue fever.
3. Where does Townsend get the ring?
(a) From Gurble on the day Gurble commits suicide.
(b) It is a family heirloom.
(c) It was a gift he bought before being captured.
(d) From a dead soldier on the march to Changi.
4. What does the King explain to Marlowe in an effort to soothe Marlowe?
(a) That Prouty stole the watch anyway.
(b) That the guard is going to rip someone else off with the same watch.
(c) That Prouty will be able to feed his group regardless.
(d) The risks and benefits of business.
5. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
(a) To make the guards understand even is Marlowe has to translate some things loosely.
(b) To bow to Torusumi.
(c) To translate to and from Malay very precisely.
(d) To not shake hands with Torusumi.
6. How much does the King actually get from the Korean guard?
7. How do Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy decide to spread news about the war?
(a) They decide not to say anything since things are not going that well.
(b) For each to tell two friends, who tell two friends.
(c) To call a meeting of the highest-ranking officers and let them decide.
(d) To trick the Korean guards into telling the news.
8. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To keep out nosey guards.
(b) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
(c) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(d) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
9. For whom are Marlowe and the King waiting at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Col. Brant.
(b) Col. Kennedy.
10. What has Grey learned from his spy about the diamond?
(a) It is a fake.
(b) It is more valuable than first thought.
(c) It has been stolen by a Korean guard.
(d) It is about to change hands soon.
11. What does Smedly-Taylor offer Grey to appease him about the weights?
(a) A recommendation for a permanent commission after the war.
(b) A quart of rice.
(c) A pass to the village.
(d) A pound of extra rations.
12. What does the King ask Timsen?
(a) To cut in on the ring profits to find some quinine for Tex.
(b) To find the ring.
(c) To get some antitoxin and sulfonamide powder.
13. What does Marlowe believe about the war?
(a) It no longer matters.
(b) It will never end.
(c) It is almost over.
(d) It will drag on for several more years.
14. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
(a) Tex and Max.
(b) Steven and Max.
(d) Max and McCoy.
15. When does the King say he will pay Timsen?
(a) That night since Grey is watching things right now.
(b) In a week.
(c) After Marlowe shows signs of getting better.
(d) When Marlowe is well enough to lead him to the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
2. About what does Torusumi talk?
3. What does the King do with the ring?
4. How much does the King give Prouty?
5. What does Shagata do?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)