|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the King choose Timsen to reveal the rat operation to?
(a) He used to be in animal husbandry.
(b) He is not squeamish.
(c) He was a butcher in his civilian life.
(d) He is the only Australian the King trusts.
2. How do Marlowe and Ewart fumigate the bed?
(a) With a concoction made from bamboo roots.
(b) With petroleum.
(c) With fire.
(d) With linseed oil.
3. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
(b) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
(c) Attack Yoshima.
(d) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
4. What does the King do with the ring?
(a) Hands it over to the Korean guards.
(b) Throws it as far as possible into the jungle.
(c) Swallows it.
(d) Gives it to Lt. Grey as a bribe.
5. Who gets a letter from his wife?
6. What does Marlowe talk about to Sutra?
(a) The wireless.
(c) The delicious saki.
(d) The weather.
7. What does Kennedy tell Marlowe?
(a) The arm looks as though it is getting better on its own.
(b) He can only wait a few more days before amutating.
(c) He can not longer operate as the arm is too far gone.
(d) He has to amputate above the elbow that day or it will be too late.
8. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
(b) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
(c) Only 120 dollars.
(d) Only 75 dollars.
9. What is borehole detail?
(a) Cleaning out old boreholds and taking the contents to the jungle.
(b) Checking to see that the boreholes are covered appropriately.
(c) Scooping cockroaches out of the latrines.
(d) Digging new boreholes.
10. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
(b) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(c) To keep out nosey guards.
(d) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
11. What does Marlowe wish?
(a) That the Allies would get there.
(b) That the King would leave Marlowe alone.
(c) That he had taken the $108 dollar commission.
(d) That life could be simple again and he could talk to God without shame.
12. How much does the King take as his commission?
13. What does Marlowe wonder about when he encounters Hawkins?
(a) If Hawkins knows his dog was eaten.
(b) If Hawkins cries about his dog.
(c) If Hawkins plans any revenge.
(d) Why Hawkins is all beat up.
14. Of what could Marlowe eventually die?
(b) Dengue fever.
15. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(b) Go on stage.
(c) End his show when the guards arrive.
(d) Dress up as a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some men wonder about Marlowe and the King?
2. What is McCoy so happy?
3. How much does the King give Prouty?
4. About what is Ewart furious?
5. Why does the King trip?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)