|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs interference for King and Marlowe as they try to escape with the money?
(b) Max and McCoy.
(c) Tex and Max.
(d) Steven and Max.
2. What does the King surmise about Cheng?
(a) He is a liar.
(b) He is hurting for cash.
(c) He is honest.
(d) He loves his family.
3. How does Lt. Grey find the tampered weights?
(a) He stumbles and knocks them over.
(b) He tortures one of the enlisted men who is serving the grain.
(c) He has one of the Korean guards check the weights.
(d) He takes the machines apart and checks the weights.
4. What does Shagata do?
(a) Kills Tex by accident when Tex trips and falls against him.
(b) Tells them the deal is off.
(c) Take the ring and the money.
(d) Authenticates the ring, hands over the money, and leaves.
5. What does Marlowe recall as they are fumigating the bed?
(a) Why he was captured.
(b) The first prison Marlowe was in.
(c) His young son and daughter.
(d) His wife.
6. How much does Marlowe get for the sergeant's fountain pen?
(a) 120 dollars and cigarettes.
(b) Only 75 dollars.
(c) 75 dollars and cigarettes.
(d) Only 120 dollars.
7. Why does the King seal the door to the cellblock after those who invited are inside?
(a) To show the men where he is digging an escape tunnel.
(b) To show the men where the radio is hidden.
(c) To keep out nosey guards.
(d) So other POWs don't smell the cooking and riot.
8. What does Marlowe bargain out of Sutra?
(b) A piglet.
(c) A radio.
(d) A hen.
9. Why are the King and his cohorts having a hard time making more cages?
(a) Wire is in short supply.
(b) They are all weak from malaria.
(c) They don't have any more underground tunnels to put the cages in.
(d) They are being watched so carefully.
10. What does Sean refuse to do at first?
(a) End his show when the guards arrive.
(b) Dress up as a woman.
(d) Go on stage.
11. Who is meeting in the shadows with Prouty?
(d) The King.
12. About what does Smedly-Talyor laugh after Lt. Grey leaves?
(a) Nothing; he is worried Grey will go over his head.
(b) Grey thinking Smedly-Taylor is clean.
(c) Grey being in the regular army.
(d) Grey arresting Marlowe.
13. What does Hawkins' dog do?
(a) Kills some rats for the soldiers for food.
(b) Attack Yoshima.
(c) Attacks a huge lizard and dies.
(d) Kills and eats one of Foster's hens.
14. About what does Torusumi talk?
(a) That if he cannot get the diamond, he will turn them in.
(b) That his wife would love the diamond.
(c) That the Japanese plan to kill all the prisoners before the Japanese withdraw.
(d) Home life and Koreans' hatred of the Japanese overlords.
15. About what does the King caution Marlowe?
(a) To bow to Torusumi.
(b) To not shake hands with Torusumi.
(c) To translate to and from Malay very precisely.
(d) To make the guards understand even is Marlowe has to translate some things loosely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the King summon Marlowe, Larkin and McCoy?
2. Why does Lt. Grey place Marlowe under arrest?
3. Where does Townsend get the ring?
4. Where does Marlowe go in the morning?
5. What does the King do with the ring?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)