Part 1, Chapters 1-4
• Lt. Grey shakes down The King in an attempt to catch him with contraband.
• Col. Brant upbraids both Lt. Grey and the King for their behavior.
• The King sees Marlowe speaking Malaysian with a native.
• The King invites Marlowe for eggs and a talk.
• The King wants Marlowe to join his ring of profiteers.
• Lt Grey makes Marlowe wear his armband showing that Marlowe is an officer, which surprises The King.
• Marlowe declines the King's offer of a partnership.
• Marlowe teaches Tex how to cook Java tobacco.
Part 1, Chapters 5-8
• Lt. Grey tells Larkin he has arrested two of Larkin's men for gambling.
• Larkin tells Grey to release the men to Larkin for punishment and that the Australians need gambling.
• Lt. Grey asks about a diamond rumored to be "loose" in camp.
• Someone contacts Lt. Grey and offers to help him "get" the King.
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)