Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long will the Company of Boys rehearse in their current location?
2. What class does John Heminges teach?
3. When is the Company of Boys allowed to rehearse at the theater?
4. Who signals Nat and Harry incorrectly?
5. How far is Shakespeare's home from the Globe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat please Sam Gilbourne?
2. What does Nat notice about Eric Sawyer and Gil Warmun as the two other boys are acting?
3. How were the boys chosen for the Company of Boys?
4. Why is Nat worried concerning the political situation and Shakespeare and Burbage?
5. Describe Nat's dream that he has in Chapter 16.
6. What does Nat think is the reason he and the other Nat were not discovered to be impostors?
7. What does Nat recite for his speaking class and who congratulates him after the recitation?
8. How is Sam Gilbourne dressed for his role as Hippolyta?
9. How do Gil and Rachel believe Nat Field of 1999 saved Shakespeare's life?
10. What is Nat trying to figure out about himself and what are the other apprentices trying to figure out about Nat while they are celebrating at a tavern.
Essay Topic 1
Many books are often made into a movie based upon the book. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think you would enjoy watching a film based upon "King of Shadows"? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the subject matter would be more difficult or easier to portray in film versus in the book? Explain your reasoning.
3. Would you allow your high school-aged son or daughter (imagining you have one) to view the film? Explain your answer.
4. How do you think the movie would differ from the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of love throughout King of Shadows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate or dislike? What characters seem most loving? Least loving?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of grief throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most concerned with grief? Why? What are some symbols of grief? How do the characters handle grief?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of politics throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most involved in politics? Why? What are some symbols of politics? Symbols of power? Why are some of the ways different characters express their political involvement?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "King of Shadows". Questions that Cooper might want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cooper's agenda (for example Nat's father's suicide). Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cooper's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Cooper and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)