|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rachel?
2. Who is Richard Burbage?
3. Who suggests the apprentices go to the bear pit?
4. Why does the nameless Lord ask Shakespeare to cancel one of the performances at the Globe?
5. What do the nurses fail to notice about Nat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roper suggest the boys do and what does Nat feel he must go?
2. How does Nat make things good between himself and Roper?
3. What happens to make Nat feel uncomfortable with his fellow actors?
4. What happens with Nat in Chapter 3?
5. Where does Nat wake in the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. What does Arby point out to Nat in the first reading of one play?
7. What is happening to the Nat that is transported to 1999?
8. What does Nat recite for his speaking class and who congratulates him after the recitation?
9. What is the Company of Boys doing in 1999 at the opening of the book?
10. Where does Nat move in Chapter 10 and who shows him around?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of a book such as "King of Shadows" place themselves in the position of someone like Nat, wondering about what their response would be in a similar situation. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as the King of Shadows help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading King of Shadows? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "King of Shadows" to discuss and compare Nat's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of love throughout King of Shadows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate or dislike? What characters seem most loving? Least loving?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of grief throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most concerned with grief? Why? What are some symbols of grief? How do the characters handle grief?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of politics throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most involved in politics? Why? What are some symbols of politics? Symbols of power? Why are some of the ways different characters express their political involvement?
Essay Topic 3
King of Shadows ends on a somewhat positive note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are at least three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "King of Shadows" and if it fulfills some or all of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "King of Shadows" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
4. Would you have wished the ending to be different? Why or why not? Would that have changed what the author wished to convey with the book?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)