|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long will the Company of Boys rehearse in their current location?
2. Who stops an altercation between Roper and Nat?
3. Why does Mrs. Fischer become worried?
4. With what does the doctor on duty believe Nat suffers?
5. What does Nat think is similar to the Globe Theater of 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Company of Boys doing in 1999 at the opening of the book?
2. How does Nat make things good between himself and Roper?
3. What does Nat recite for his speaking class and who congratulates him after the recitation?
4. Why does Shakespeare step in between Nat and Roper and what is the consequence of his doing so?
5. What happens to make Nat feel uncomfortable with his fellow actors?
6. Where does Nat wake in the beginning of Chapter 4?
7. What amazes Nat about London when he is on his way to the Globe?
8. What does Roper suggest the boys do and what does Nat feel he must go?
9. What does Nat notice about Eric Sawyer and Gil Warmun as the two other boys are acting?
10. How does Nat react to the bear pit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King of Shadows belongs to the literary genre of historical fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read an historical fiction novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," historical fiction novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "King of Shadows" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "King of Shadows" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "King of Shadows" is a teen novel changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the world of academia, historical fiction is often considered an inferior form of the novel compared to "classic" literature. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think historical fiction might be considered second-rate compared to the classics?
2. Do you think historical fiction has the same elements as the classics? Why or why not?
3. What are the purposes do you think for people reading "the classics"? What are the purposes for people reading historical fiction? Is one purpose better than another? Explain your response.
4. Would you read historical fiction even outside an educational setting? Why or why not?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)