|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long will the Company of Boys rehearse in their current location?
2. What do the apprentices eat for lunch?
3. Of what does Mistress Fawcett warn Nat?
4. What is the name of Shakespeare's son?
5. Why does Nat go to bed early?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the boys chosen for the Company of Boys?
2. What is Nat trying to figure out about his experience over the past week and what does he decide about them?
3. What does Nat ask Shakespeare about Nat's choices after St. Paul's and what is Shakespeare's response?
4. Why does Nat argue with Arby about Nat's exit and what does Nat do?
5. How is Sam Gilbourne dressed for his role as Hippolyta?
6. What does Nat learn about the Globe Theater of 1599?
7. Describe Nat, Burbage and Shakespeare's interview with Queen Elizabeth I.
8. How does Roper conspire to make Nat look bad?
9. What is the purpose of the games and what does Nat think of some of the games?
10. How does Richard help Nat prepare for Nat's role as Puck and how does Nat feel when he is ready?
Essay Topic 1
Nat of 1999 is a about sixteen when the novel opens. Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Nat seems like an average sixteen year old? Give examples and why you say the activities are average teen activities.
2. What are some ways that Nat seems older than sixteen? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Nat as he is developed throughout the book.
3. Is it realistic to think Nat could handle the situations that arise in the novel in the ways he does? How much impact do you think Nat's father's suicide had on his growing up faster?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "King of Shadows" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "King of Shadows" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that "King of Shadows" is a teen novel changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of love throughout King of Shadows. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with love? Why? What are some symbols of love? Symbols of hate or dislike? What characters seem most loving? Least loving?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of grief throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most concerned with grief? Why? What are some symbols of grief? How do the characters handle grief?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of politics throughout "King of Shadows". What characters are most involved in politics? Why? What are some symbols of politics? Symbols of power? Why are some of the ways different characters express their political involvement?
This section contains 3,346 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)