|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signals Nat and Harry incorrectly?
2. What is the first play the Company of Boys rehearses?
3. With what does the doctor on duty believe Nat suffers?
4. Why does Nat not allow himself to cry?
5. What does Arby point out to Nat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nat feel about being in the late 16th century and how does Roper make it even worse?
2. How does Nat react to the bear pit?
3. What does Nat notice about Eric Sawyer and Gil Warmun as the two other boys are acting?
4. What is the purpose of the games and what does Nat think of some of the games?
5. Where does Nat wake in the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. How is Nat different from the other apprentices and to what do the apprentices attribute the differences?
7. What happens to Nat at the beginning of the first day of rehearsals on the stage at Globe?
8. Why does Shakespeare step in between Nat and Roper and what is the consequence of his doing so?
9. What does Roper suggest the boys do and what does Nat feel he must go?
10. How does Roper conspire to make Nat look bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "King of Shadows". Questions that Cooper might want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cooper's agenda (for example Nat's father's suicide). Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cooper's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Cooper and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Nat of 1999 is a about sixteen when the novel opens. Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Nat seems like an average sixteen year old? Give examples and why you say the activities are average teen activities.
2. What are some ways that Nat seems older than sixteen? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Nat as he is developed throughout the book.
3. Is it realistic to think Nat could handle the situations that arise in the novel in the ways he does? How much impact do you think Nat's father's suicide had on his growing up faster?
Essay Topic 3
Setting as far as place and time play critical role in "King of Shadows". Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the 2 times where the action takes place--1999 and 1599. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. How do you think "King of Shadows" would change if Nat actually stayed 1599? (You need to research England at the time and see if there are any major differences). Consider if the plague were not an issue. What if he accidentally ended up in a radically different area such as the Orient or Africa?
3. What issues that are present in the 1599 time of "King of Shadows" are still present today? What are no longer issues today? Consider such things cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
4. How would the plot be impacted if the setting were in the United States at the same time period (1599)? Explain the differences.
5. How important do you think it is to understand the setting of a particular book? Explain.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)