|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arby say the boy actors must function?
2. What play is Shakespeare thinking of writing?
3. How does Nat save Roper's life?
4. Where is Nat when he wakes in Chapter 4?
5. What do the apprentices eat for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the boys chosen for the Company of Boys?
2. What happens with Nat in Chapter 3?
3. How does Nat feel about being in the late 16th century and how does Roper make it even worse?
4. Where does Nat wake in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What happens to the Nat who is now in 1999?
6. Why does Shakespeare step in between Nat and Roper and what is the consequence of his doing so?
7. What happens to make Nat feel uncomfortable with his fellow actors?
8. What does Nat notice about Eric Sawyer and Gil Warmun as the two other boys are acting?
9. What happens to Nat at the beginning of the first day of rehearsals on the stage at Globe?
10. What amazes Nat about London when he is on his way to the Globe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "King of Shadows".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of King of Shadows. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "King of Shadows". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Susan Cooper uses real historical events and facts around which to weave her work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "King of Shadows" qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. What surprises you about the culture of late 1599 England?
4. What would you like the most about the time of 1599 England?
5. What would you like the least about the time of 1599 England?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation when Nat saves the life of Roper who has been spiteful to Nat over and over again. What other situations contain irony in "King of Shadows"?
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from "King of Shadows". What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in King of Shadows and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)