|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event resulted in putting a stop to the campaign to fire Tom White and his men?
2. In 1926, Ernest Burkhart was sentenced to what punishment for his crimes?
3. What is NOT one thing Mollie said in defense of her husband Ernest at the time of his arrest?
4. A government study estimated that prior to 1925, how much money had been stolen from adult Osage wards by their appointed white guardians?
5. How much insurance money was collected upon the burning of William Hale's fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. When William Hale responded to John Ramsey's panic at being tried for the murder of Henry Roan, what did William Hale say to reassure him?
2. What does the author mean when he describes Mollie Burkhart during the trial, saying that she was "cast out from the two worlds that she'd always straddled" (202)?
3. What is the significance of the photograph in the text that depicts a roping contest from 1909?
4. To whom does Chapter 13's title refer in its moniker A Traitor to His Blood?
5. What does the author consider to be the most damning evidence that Mollie's illness was being caused by poison?
6. What turned out to be the true events leading up to the bombing of the Smiths' home?
7. What did the men on the list of witnesses for the prosecution of William Hale have in common?
8. How was John Ramsey's confession laden with the era's racist views held by whites about Native Americans?
9. What was Tom White's reaction to discovering that so many possible witnesses could no longer testify because they were dead?
10. To what plan is the author referring when he states, "the plan was so brazen, so sinister, that it was hard to fathom" (162)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Grann's use of red herrings across the narrative of Killers of the Flower Moon and how they are used to support overarching themes within the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Trace the character arc of William Hale provided by the author. How does the author go about showing the evil duplicity present within William Hale's character and his power to harm those whose monies he coveted without being punished for his heinous acts?
Essay Topic 3
How does the theme of betrayal emerge throughout the course of the book Killer of the Flower Moon?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)