|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was found to be the cause of death in W.W. Vaughn's murder?
2. In what year did Mollie and Henry marry?
3. What promise did William Hale make to Mollie after the bombing of Bill and Rita Smith's home, resulting in their murders?
4. In what year was the Louisiana Purchase enacted, "which contained lands dominated by the Osage" (37)?
5. What method was used by Henry Roan's murderer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of racism inherent in the appointment of financial guardians to some Osage people?
2. What is the symbolism of Anna's alligator purse?
3. Describe the racism inherent in the assignment of guardians to the Osage people subsequent to the discovery of oil beneath reservation land.
4. What does the author note as the cause of Mollie falling in love with Ernest?
5. Why were the people of the Osage tribe already on high alert by the time Anna disappeared?
6. What evidence does the author use to support his claim that "It wasn't only the federal government that was meddling in the tribe's financial affairs" (80)?
7. What details does the author use to portray Tom White's character and how is Tom White compared to Mollie Burkhart?
8. To whom does Chronicle Two's title The Evidence Man refer and how does its title set up a comparison between Mollie and the "evidence" man (101)?
9. How did the acting sheriff of Osage County, Harve M. Freas, react to the news of Anna's murder and what is the significance of his reaction?
10. Why is it a revelation to the reader when the author states, "Many Osage had come to believe that local authorities were colluding with the killers" (92)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perform a feminist criticism of the book Killers of the Flower Moon and provide an ample number of concrete details to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Deception is a theme that shows up often in Killers of the Flower Moon. Develop a claim stating the author's message regarding deception and prove your claim with at least three instances of deception occurring within the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Grann's use of red herrings across the narrative of Killers of the Flower Moon and how they are used to support overarching themes within the narrative.
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)