|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whose lawyers did Ernest Burkhart enter the judge's chambers for a private conversation, much to the dismay of the prosecution?
(a) Bryan Burkhart's lawyers.
(b) Asa Kirby's lawyers.
(c) William Hale's lawyers.
(d) John Ramsey's lawyers.
2. Once Tom White realized that corrupt white citizens would not implicate one another, what group did he turn to next in his quest to solve the Osage murders?
(a) Restricted Osage tribe members.
(b) The white outlaws of the Osage Hills.
(c) Unrestricted Osage tribe members.
(d) The guardians of the restricted Osage tribe members.
3. How old was Tom White when he watched his father execute a criminal?
4. Who did Pike claim had hired him to perform his required task?
(a) J. Edgar Hoover.
(b) William Hale.
(c) Ernest Burkhart.
(d) Tom White.
5. How much insurance money was collected upon the burning of William Hale's fields?
6. William Hale once said, "I, like many other good men, believed it would be only a short time until Congress would pass a law" (160) that permitted what practice?
(a) Alcohol sales on reservation lands.
(c) The sale of headrights.
(d) Gambling on reservation lands.
7. The author states that when William Hale turned himself in to Sheriff Freas, he looked as if he were going where?
(a) To his execution.
(b) To a formal party.
(c) To heaven.
(d) To church.
8. With whom did Tom White and the prosecutors work in order to keep William Hale and John Ramsey behind bars by filing state charges against them for the bombing murders?
(a) The Colorado attorney general.
(b) The Utah attorney general.
(c) The Kansas attorney general.
(d) The Oklahoma attorney general.
9. Who did Bill Smith name as the executor of his slain wife Rita's will as he lay upon his deathbed?
(a) Mollie Burkhart.
(b) James Shoun.
(c) William Hale.
(d) David Shoun.
10. How does the author describe William Hale's manner immediately after Tom White had detailed the overwhelming evidence incriminating William Hale in several murders?
11. When William Hale told an ally that there was only one witness he was afraid of, whom did he name?
(a) Henry Grammer.
(b) Ernest Burkhart.
(c) Asa Kirby.
(d) Mollie Burkhart.
12. What expected revelation was made the day after Ernest's private conversations with another man's lawyers?
(a) Ernest had committed suicide.
(b) William Hale had changed his plea.
(c) Ernest had withdrawn his offer to testify for the state and would now testify for the defense.
(d) Mollie Burkhart had gone missing.
13. What was NOT one of the categories assessed on the Bureau of Investigation's Efficiency Rating sheets?
(c) Personal Appearance.
14. What was William Hale's reaction to the judge's ruling that the case could be adjudicated only in state court?
(a) He screamed obscenities at the judge.
(b) He smirked at Mollie Burkhart.
(c) He celebrated.
(d) He burst into tears.
15. How old was Tom White when his mother died?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason did Henry Roan's widow give for not drinking the whiskey brought to her by William Hale?
2. What is NOT one thing Mollie said in defense of her husband Ernest at the time of his arrest?
3. When the gas station worker revealed to the undercover operative that she knew who had set William Hale's fields on fire, whom did she name as the culprit?
4. How many years before Anna's death did Mollie and Ernest get married?
5. In what year did Tom White become a special agent of the Bureau of Investigation?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)