|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Khrushchev face when he returns to the Soviet Union in October of 1960?
2. What is Khrushchev's logic for getting nuclear weapons into Cuba?
3. Who does Khrushchev send to Havana?
4. What does every U-2 mission require?
5. What are Kennedy's advisers called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Khrushchev somewhat fear the bombing plans discussed in Chapter 13?
2. How does Khrushchev describe Mikoyan in 1957?
3. Why is the pro-Khrushchev petition accepted?
4. What is Khrushchev's agenda in attending the UN General Assembly in 1960?
5. Discuss what happens to religion after 1961 under Khrushchev.
6. Why do foreign ministers meet in Geneva on May 11?
7. What is the purpose of camp literature?
8. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
9. How are Khrushchev and the government feeling after congress meets in 1956?
10. What occurs at the Soviet Defense Council meeting discussed in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stalin's mental faculties begin to deteriorate after a series of heart attacks. Do you think this mental illness was the result of the heart attacks or was it present all along?
Explain your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
After reading the entire book, reread Chapter 1. Discuss the purpose of starting at the end. What were the author's intentions? Is this an effective literary method? Do you think the book would have been as effective if a different method was used?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout much of the relationship between Stalin and Khrushchev, Khrushchev is often described as one of Stalin's favorites. When does this view change? Why does Stalin's view of Khrushchev change? Why is Stalin suddenly mistrusting of Khrushchev? Is the mistrust substantiated?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)