|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose control should the capital of the German Democratic Republic be under?
2. Discussed in Chapter 13, who does Khrushchev negotiate with to set up a provisional government?
3. Who does Khrushchev restore from exile after Stalin's death?
4. Who do the people blame for the food shortages in 1961?
5. In 1956, what does Cairo nationalize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
2. What occurs at the Soviet Defense Council meeting discussed in Chapter 19?
3. What evidence suggests Khrushchev's "Top Secret" speech was meant to be leaked?
4. How do Khrushchev's ideologies effect his takeover of foreign policy?
5. How does Khrushchev describe Mikoyan in 1957?
6. Why is the Central Committee's confirmation to divide the parties cause for bewilderment?
7. Why does the Central Committee condemn Zhukov?
8. Why does the U.S. demand a period of relative quiet?
9. Why is the pro-Khrushchev petition accepted?
10. Why is the U.S. twice tarnished during summit meetings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Khrushchev and Malenkov relationships. Is this friendship genuine? Why or why not? Is the relationship politically motivated? Explain your answer.
Discuss why this would be significant in the time after the fall of the Old Guard.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship Khrushchev had with his wife. How does Khrushchev feel about her? How does she feel about him? Is this relationship solid? How does this relationship effect his political position and vise versa?
Essay Topic 3
How is Khrushchev's rise in leadership while he is in school described? What does he do to achieve this status? How does this effect his schooling? Who tests his loyalty and how is it tested?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)