|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is responsible for writing Khrushchev's speeches?
2. What U.S. pilot is captured by the Soviets after parachuting out of his downed plane?
3. Whose control should the capital of the German Democratic Republic be under?
4. When is Khrushchev's draft program established?
5. How many citizens march for Stalin in his home of Georgia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do foreign ministers meet in Geneva on May 11?
2. Why does the U.S. demand a period of relative quiet?
3. What evidence suggests Khrushchev's "Top Secret" speech was meant to be leaked?
4. How are Khrushchev and the government feeling after congress meets in 1956?
5. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
6. Why does the Central Committee condemn Zhukov?
7. What does Khrushchev discuss during the 22nd Congress?
8. What occurs at the Soviet Defense Council meeting discussed in Chapter 19?
9. Why is the U.S. twice tarnished during summit meetings?
10. Discuss what happens to religion after 1961 under Khrushchev.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Khrushchev's plans in 1957 concerning industry, American agriculture, and the artistic intelligentsia? What are Khrushchev's recommendations during this time?
Discuss the reaction from the other political leaders (specifically Koganovich and Molotov) concerning Khrushchev's plans as well as their decisions for the plans.
What is the end result of Khrushchev's voicing these plans?
Essay Topic 2
In 1954 the leadership is once again in turmoil. Discuss the actions from the following leaders: Khrushchev, Molotov, Kaganovich, Malenkov, and Voroshilov. Do these leaders find any solutions? Provide support for your answer from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author break the book in the middle with a recap of the time spanning from 1917-1957? What is the purpose for this method? Is there any new information presented? Does this technique enhance the book?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)