|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do planners of Operation Grandslam hope keeps the Soviets unprepared?
2. What U.S. pilot is captured by the Soviets after parachuting out of his downed plane?
3. How does the U.S. respond to the U-2 incident that led to the capture of a U.S. pilot?
4. Who does Stalin betray in Chapter 11?
5. Who do the people blame for the food shortages in 1961?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Khrushchev and the government feeling after congress meets in 1956?
2. How does Khrushchev describe Mikoyan in 1957?
3. Why is the U.S. twice tarnished during summit meetings?
4. What is Khrushchev's agenda in attending the UN General Assembly in 1960?
5. Why does the Central Committee condemn Zhukov?
6. Why is the Central Committee's confirmation to divide the parties cause for bewilderment?
7. What does Khrushchev want from the trip to Cuba?
8. Why is Khrushchev having nightmares about peace?
9. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
10. What does Khrushchev discuss during the 22nd Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout much of the relationship between Stalin and Khrushchev, Khrushchev is often described as one of Stalin's favorites. When does this view change? Why does Stalin's view of Khrushchev change? Why is Stalin suddenly mistrusting of Khrushchev? Is the mistrust substantiated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship Khrushchev had with his wife. How does Khrushchev feel about her? How does she feel about him? Is this relationship solid? How does this relationship effect his political position and vise versa?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ukraine before Khrushchev takes over. What changes does Khrushchev make to the country? What is the reaction to these changes by the people? By other political leaders? What is the state of the country after all the changes are implemented?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)