|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose control should the capital of the German Democratic Republic be under?
2. Discussed in Chapter 13, who does Khrushchev negotiate with to set up a provisional government?
3. What does Khrushchev take control of before defeating the "anti-party" group?
4. What must Khrushchev face when he returns to the Soviet Union in October of 1960?
5. When is Khrushchev's plan to divide the party realized?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs at the Soviet Defense Council meeting discussed in Chapter 19?
2. Why is the U.S. twice tarnished during summit meetings?
3. Why do foreign ministers meet in Geneva on May 11?
4. Why does the Central Committee condemn Zhukov?
5. How does Khrushchev describe Mikoyan in 1957?
6. What is Khrushchev's agenda in attending the UN General Assembly in 1960?
7. Why does the U.S. demand a period of relative quiet?
8. What is the agricultural harvest like in 1958?
9. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
10. What is the purpose of camp literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Khrushchev's plans in 1957 concerning industry, American agriculture, and the artistic intelligentsia? What are Khrushchev's recommendations during this time?
Discuss the reaction from the other political leaders (specifically Koganovich and Molotov) concerning Khrushchev's plans as well as their decisions for the plans.
What is the end result of Khrushchev's voicing these plans?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout much of the relationship between Stalin and Khrushchev, Khrushchev is often described as one of Stalin's favorites. When does this view change? Why does Stalin's view of Khrushchev change? Why is Stalin suddenly mistrusting of Khrushchev? Is the mistrust substantiated?
Essay Topic 3
What is the goal of the Anti-Stalinists? How do they try to attack Khrushchev? Are they successful? Discuss the different feelings concerning the party felt from this group. Support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)