|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Discussed in Chapter 13, who does Khrushchev negotiate with to set up a provisional government?
2. What does Khrushchev report positively on to the Presidium during Chapter 17?
3. Who makes charges of adventurism and capitulation against Khrushchev?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 12, why does the Central Committee panic?
5. What do planners of Operation Grandslam hope keeps the Soviets unprepared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Khrushchev having nightmares about peace?
2. What is Khrushchev's response when a deputy foreign minister mentions the captured pilot?
3. What does Khrushchev discuss during the 22nd Congress?
4. Why does Khrushchev somewhat fear the bombing plans discussed in Chapter 13?
5. What does Khrushchev want from the trip to Cuba?
6. How does Khrushchev describe Mikoyan in 1957?
7. How are Khrushchev and the government feeling after congress meets in 1956?
8. Why is the Central Committee's confirmation to divide the parties cause for bewilderment?
9. What is the purpose of camp literature?
10. What evidence suggests Khrushchev's "Top Secret" speech was meant to be leaked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Marshall Plan. Who is involved in enacting this plan? How does this plan allow Stalin to pass the blame? Who does Stalin pass the blame to? What is Khrushchev's role in this Plan? Do you think the Marshall plan was effective for meeting Stalin's goals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship Khrushchev had with his wife. How does Khrushchev feel about her? How does she feel about him? Is this relationship solid? How does this relationship effect his political position and vise versa?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author break the book in the middle with a recap of the time spanning from 1917-1957? What is the purpose for this method? Is there any new information presented? Does this technique enhance the book?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)