|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Hale tells Mr. Henderson that she rarely visited the Wright home because it didn't seem very ________.
2. Mrs. Hale is startled by hearing Mrs. Peters say: "A person gets discouraged -- and loses" what?
3. Who went on trial for the murder of John Hossack?
4. From where did Mr. Henderson travel to come to the crime scene?
5. When was the play Trifles first produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
2. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
3. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appeared when he'd arrived the previous day?
4. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
5. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men disappear upstairs?
6. How does Sheriff Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
7. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
8. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
9. How is Mrs. Peters described through Mrs. Hale's thoughts in the beginning of the narrative?
10. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the theme of guilt in the narrative. What character is racked with guilt and why?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)