|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does the story take place?
2. What word means concealed; secret; disguised?
3. Where had the sheriff sent someone "for that man who went crazy" yesterday in the story?
4. What does Mrs. Hale suggest Mrs. Peters take with her to Mrs. Wright at the jail, to "take up her mind"?
5. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her, "Who did this, Mrs. Wright?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sheriff Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
2. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
3. How is Mrs. Peters described through Mrs. Hale's thoughts in the beginning of the narrative?
4. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
5. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
6. When Mrs. Hale begins to piece together the story of Minnie Wright, how does she berate her own actions?
7. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
8. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
9. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
10. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,471 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)