|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means to find fault with (a person, group, etc.); blame; censure?
2. With what group had Minnie Foster sung in her youth?
3. What theater troupe, of which Glaspell was a member, produced a one-act play with the same plot as A Jury of Her Peers?
4. Mrs. Hale tells Mrs. Peters, "I sew awful queer sometimes when I'm" what?
5. Who does Mrs. Hale say "have their hands full" to Mr. Henderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mr. Hale questioned Mrs. Wright about her husband's murder, what did she inform him?
2. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
3. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
4. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale in the narrative?
5. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
6. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
7. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
8. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
9. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
10. What in the beginning of the story indicates the time period of the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)