|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Mr. Hale been going to town to sell the previous morning?
2. When alone with Mrs. Peters, Mrs. Hale asks, "I wonder how it would seem never to have had any" what?
3. What is Mrs. Hale's first name?
4. Of Mrs. Hale, Susan Glaspell writes, "the fact that she had lived neighbor to that girl for twenty years, and had let her die for" what was more than she could bear?
5. What was the name of Susan Glaspell's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
2. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
3. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
4. When Mr. Hale questioned Mrs. Wright about her husband's murder, what did she inform him?
5. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
6. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
7. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
8. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
9. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
10. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lewis Hale and discuss his relationship with the other characters in the story. How well did Mr. Hale know the Wrights'? What regard did he have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the details of the Hossack murder trial. Where did the trial take place and in what capacity was Susan Glaspell involved?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the relationship between the women in the narrative. How does the relationship develop? Why do the women gain a sympathy for Mrs. Wright through the second half of the story?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)