|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Mrs. Hale been to the Wright home before the narrative begins?
2. What does Mrs. Hale surmise Mrs. Wright was going to do with the bird?
3. When does Mrs. Hale recall having met Mrs. Peters previously in the beginning of the story?
4. To whose house did Harry go to use the telephone the previous day?
5. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had been worried about the night before when the weather turned?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
2. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
3. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
4. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale in the narrative?
5. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
6. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appeared when he'd arrived the previous day?
7. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
8. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
9. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
10. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the objectives of each character and the actions taken to achieve those objectives. What does Mr. Henderson want to find in the home? Why does he abandon the kitchen?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)