|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what university did Susan Glaspell earn her bachelor's degree?
2. What is Mrs. Hale's eldest son doing in town while she and her husband are with the sheriff in the story?
3. What is the name of the deputy sheriff?
4. Where did Mrs. Wright point when Mr. Hale asked the whereabouts of Mr. Wright?
5. What color is Mrs. Wright's shawl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
2. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
3. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
4. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
5. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
6. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
7. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
8. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
9. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
10. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of John Wright and different qualities which lead the reader to believe Mrs. Wright killed him. Is murder justified, given the circumstances? Why or why not?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)