|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
2. What does Mrs. Hale notice about the kitchen table when she is alone with Mrs. Peters?
3. Who has been murdered in A Jury of Her Peers?
4. What was Mrs. Wright's maiden name?
5. According to Mr. Hale's story, Mrs. Wright was doing what to her apron when he visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
2. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
3. What in the beginning of the story indicates the time period of the narrative?
4. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
5. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
6. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
7. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
8. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
9. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
10. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story and discuss how this setting evokes mood. How is the Wright home described? What visceral sense do you get from the descriptions of the house? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the details of the Hossack murder trial. Where did the trial take place and in what capacity was Susan Glaspell involved?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of John Wright and different qualities which lead the reader to believe Mrs. Wright killed him. Is murder justified, given the circumstances? Why or why not?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)