|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale go to look after while the sheriff and county attorney are finishing investigating?
2. What does Mrs. Peters reply when Mrs. Hale asks her, "Do you think she -- did it?"
3. When was John Hossack murdered?
4. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
5. What theater troupe, of which Glaspell was a member, produced a one-act play with the same plot as A Jury of Her Peers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
2. What scene does Mrs. Hale imagine after finding the half-poured sugar in the kitchen?
3. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
4. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
5. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
6. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
7. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
8. How does Mrs. Hale begin to piece together the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
9. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
10. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Sheriff Peters and Mrs. Peters in comparison with the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Hale. What similarities are there? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)