|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of A Jury of Her Peers, when Martha Hale opens the storm-door and gets a cut of the north wind, she runs back for ________________.
2. How does Mrs. Hale describe the dress Minnie Foster wore while singing with the choir?
3. When was John Hossack murdered?
4. Mrs. Peters becomes frozen near the end of the story because she is unable to touch what?
5. Who asks the county attorney near the end of the story, "Did you want to see what Mrs. Peters was going to take in?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
2. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
3. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
4. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
5. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
6. How does Sheriff Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
7. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
8. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
9. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
10. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify the narrative mode and tense of the narrative. What distinction is made between "omniscient" and "limited" narrative modes?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)