|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the rocking chair in the Wrights' home?
2. The county attorney asserts that there is "no sign at all of anyone having" what?
3. When the women are alone, Mrs. Peters tells Mrs. Hale, "Mr. Henderson is awful ______ in a speech."
4. Susan Glaspell wrote A Jury of Her Peers based on the Hossack murder which she discovered working as _____________.
5. Mr. Hale had come by the previous day to ask Mr. Wright if he wanted what installed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the lack of children in the home and Mr. Wright's personality when the women are alone?
2. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
3. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
4. When Mrs. Hale begins to piece together the story of Minnie Wright, how does she berate her own actions?
5. How is Mrs. Peters described through Mrs. Hale's thoughts in the beginning of the narrative?
6. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
7. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
8. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
9. What scene does Mrs. Hale imagine after finding the half-poured sugar in the kitchen?
10. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the use of exposition in A Jury of Her Peers. In a linear plot, where does the exposition generally fall in a story? How does this traditional plot structure apply to A Jury of Her Peers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)