|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Peters nervously says to Mrs. Hale, "It's a good thing the men couldn't hear us! Getting all stirred up over a little thing like a __________."
2. What is Mrs. Hale's sister's name?
3. What does Mrs. Hale notice about the kitchen table when she is alone with Mrs. Peters?
4. What does Mrs. Peters look for to use to wrap Mrs. Wright's clothing?
5. Mrs. Hale states to Mrs. Peters, "The law is the law -- and a bad" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
2. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
3. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
4. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
5. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
6. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
7. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
8. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
9. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
10. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the bird cage, the pretty box, and the dead canary in the story. What is represented by each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify symbolism in A Jury of Her Peers. What about the kitchen is symbolic? What do the jars of fruit represent?
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)