|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
2. The county attorney asserts that there is "no sign at all of anyone having" what?
3. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright was frightened of in her house the previous day?
4. What sentence follows Mrs. Hale's line: "No, Wright wouldn't like the bird -- a thing that sang. She used to sing"?
5. What kind of trees surround the Wright home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
2. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
3. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
4. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
5. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
6. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
7. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
8. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
9. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
10. What does Mrs. Wright consider about the rocking chair in the Wrights' home? How is it described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lewis Hale and discuss his relationship with the other characters in the story. How well did Mr. Hale know the Wrights'? What regard did he have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)