|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Peters look for to use to wrap Mrs. Wright's clothing?
2. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her, "Who did this, Mrs. Wright?"
3. What is Mr. Hale's first name?
4. Where had Mrs. Hale met Mrs. Peters previously?
5. When alone with Mrs. Peters, Mrs. Hale says, "I wonder how it would seem never to have had any _________________."
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
2. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
3. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
4. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
6. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
7. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
8. How does Mrs. Hale begin to piece together the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
9. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
10. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the relationship between the women in the narrative. How does the relationship develop? Why do the women gain sympathy for Mrs. Wright through the second half of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the details of the Hossack murder trial. Where did the trial take place and in what capacity was Susan Glaspell involved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)