|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hale's response when asked the question of Mrs. Wright, "How did she seem to feel about your coming?"
2. What does Mrs. Hale discover under the cloth in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
3. In telling his story to the sheriff and county attorney, Mr. Hale remarks that he "didn't know as what his wife wanted" _____________.
4. Where was Mrs. Wright when Mr. Hale had entered the Wright house the previous day?
5. Mrs. Peters nervously says to Mrs. Hale, "it's a good thing the men couldn't hear us! Getting all stirred up over a little thing like a" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
2. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
3. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
4. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
5. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
6. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
7. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
8. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
9. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale in the narrative?
10. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the bird cage, the pretty box and the dead canary in the story. What is represented by each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of John Wright and different qualities which lead the reader to believe Mrs. Wright killed him. Is murder justified, given the circumstances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the objectives of each character and the actions taken to achieve those objectives. What does Mr. Henderson want to find in the home? Why does he abandon the kitchen?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)