|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Mrs. Hale met Mrs. Peters previously?
2. What does Mrs. Peters reply when the county attorney asks the women, "have you decided whether she was going to quilt it or knot it?"
3. What fur item does Mrs. Peters go to hang up when she discovers Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
4. What is Mrs. Hale's last line in the story?
5. Sheriff Peters is described as being particularly genial with____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
2. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
3. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
4. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
5. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
6. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
7. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
8. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
9. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
10. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the bird cage, the pretty box and the dead canary in the story. What is represented by each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the author's childhood and family, education, career and published works, common themes and stylistic elements in writing. When in Glaspell's career was A Jury of Her Peers published?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)