|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of weapon was in the Wrights' house but wasn't used on Mr. Wright?
2. For what does Mrs. Hale repeatedly blame herself in the story?
3. What word means concealed; secret; disguised?
4. When was the play Trifles first produced?
5. What is Mrs. Hale's response when Mrs. Peters says, "Of course we don't know who killed the bird"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
2. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
3. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
4. What does Mrs. Wright consider about the rocking chair in the Wrights' home? How is it described?
5. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
6. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
7. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
8. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
9. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
10. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the relationship between the women in the narrative. How does the relationship develop? Why do the women gain a sympathy for Mrs. Wright through the second half of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the author's childhood and family, education, career and published works, common themes and stylistic elements in writing. When in Glaspell's career was A Jury of Her Peers published?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)