|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Hale's sister's name?
2. When was the play Trifles first produced?
3. In describing Mr. Wright, Mrs. Hale claims he was "like a raw wind that" what?
4. The majority of the action in A Jury of Her Peers takes place in what room of the house?
5. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had been worried about the night before when the weather turned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
2. How does Mrs. Hale begin to piece together the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
3. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
4. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
5. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
6. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
7. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
8. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
9. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
10. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the narrative mode and tense of the narrative. What distinction is made between "omniscient" and "limited" narrative modes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the author's childhood and family, education, career and published works, common themes and stylistic elements in writing. When in Glaspell's career was A Jury of Her Peers published?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)