|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
2. When was Susan Glaspell born?
3. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Has anybody been notified?"
4. Mr. Hale tells the sheriff that he had been going to town the previous morning with whom?
5. What does Mrs. Hale notice about the kitchen table when she is alone with Mrs. Peters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
2. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
3. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
4. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
5. What in the beginning of the story indicates the time period of the narrative?
6. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
7. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
8. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
9. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
10. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the author's childhood and family, education, career and published works, common themes and stylistic elements in writing. When in Glaspell's career was A Jury of Her Peers published?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the symbolism of the bird cage, the pretty box and the dead canary in the story. What is represented by each?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)