Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale surmise Mrs. Wright was going to do with the bird?
2. What is half-sifted when Mrs. Hale departs her kitchen in the beginning of the story?
3. What theater troupe, of which Glaspell was a member, produced a one-act play with the same plot as A Jury of Her Peers?
4. Who states in the short story, "women are used to worrying over trifles"?
5. What is the title of the original newspaper article upon which A Jury of Her Peers is based?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
2. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
3. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
4. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
5. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
6. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
7. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
8. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
9. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
10. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the objectives of each character and the actions taken to achieve those objectives. What does Mr. Henderson want to find in the home? Why does he abandon the kitchen?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the theme of guilt in the narrative. What character is racked with guilt and why?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)