|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Peters reply when Mrs. Hale asks her, "Do you think she -- did it?"
2. What does Mrs. Hale suddenly become worried about regarding her son in the beginning of the story?
3. Who had the sheriff sent off "for that man who went crazy" yesterday in the story?
4. What word means concealed; secret; disguised?
5. When was the play Trifles first produced?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
2. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
3. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
4. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
5. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
6. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
7. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
8. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
9. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
10. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the use of exposition in A Jury of Her Peers. In a linear plot, where does the exposition generally fall in a story? How does this traditional plot structure apply to A Jury of Her Peers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)