|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had been worried about the night before when the weather turned?
2. Mrs. Hale describes Mrs. Wright as having been like a what in her youth?
3. What is the title of the original newspaper article upon which A Jury of Her Peers is based?
4. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her the cause of death of Mr. Wright?
5. Where do the women go to get things to take to Mrs. Wright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
2. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
3. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
4. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
5. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
6. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
7. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
8. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
9. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
10. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify symbolism in A Jury of Her Peers. What about the kitchen is symbolic? What do the jars of fruit represent?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the story and discuss how this setting evokes mood. How is the Wright home described? What visceral sense do you get from the descriptions of the house? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)