|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the men reenter to leave, Mrs. Hale takes the box and puts it where?
2. Why is Mr. Henderson unable to dry his hands after washing them in the sink?
3. Where does Mrs. Peters say she and her husband had homesteaded before living here?
4. Mrs. Hale considers the manner of Mrs. Peters to be _________.
5. What was Mrs. Peters' kitten killed with when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
2. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
3. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
4. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
5. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
6. What does Mrs. Peters say in response to Mrs. Hale berating herself for not visiting Minnie?
7. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
8. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
9. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
10. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of John Wright and different qualities which lead the reader to believe Mrs. Wright killed him. Is murder justified, given the circumstances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing from the opening scene in the narrative. What clue does the reader gain as to future events in the story? How is the foreshadowing highlighted by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)