|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Susan Glaspell born?
2. How many women are waiting in the two-seated buggy when Mrs. Hale goes out to join them in the beginning of the story?
3. What had Mrs. Wright requested to be brought to her at the jail in addition to clothes?
4. Mrs. Hale tells Mr. Henderson that she rarely visited the Wright home because it didn't seem very ________.
5. Who had the sheriff sent to make a fire at the Wright house that morning in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
2. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
3. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
4. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
5. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
6. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
7. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
8. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
9. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
10. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story and discuss how this setting evokes mood. How is the Wright home described? What visceral sense do you get from the descriptions of the house? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Lewis Hale and discuss his relationship with the other characters in the story. How well did Mr. Hale know the Wrights'? What regard did he have for them?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)