|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Hale tells Mr. Henderson that she rarely visited the Wright home because it didn't seem very ________.
2. To whose house did Harry go to use the telephone the previous day?
3. In describing Mr. Wright, Mrs. Hale claims he was "like a raw wind that" what?
4. In telling his story to the sheriff and county attorney, Mr. Hale remarks that he "didn't know as what his wife wanted" _____________.
5. When the women are alone, Mrs. Peters tells Mrs. Hale, "Mr. Henderson is awful ______ in a speech."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
2. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale in the narrative?
3. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
4. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men disappear upstairs?
5. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
6. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
7. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
8. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
9. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
10. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Sheriff Peters and Mrs. Peters in comparison with the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Hale. What similarities are there? What differences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)