|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Mr. Henderson travel to come to the crime scene?
2. What is Mr. Hale's response when asked the question of Mrs. Wright, "How did she seem to feel about your coming?"
3. What is the name of the deputy sheriff?
4. Where do the women go to get things to take to Mrs. Wright?
5. Who discovers uneven stitching in one of the quilt blocks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
2. When Mrs. Hale begins to piece together the story of Minnie Wright, how does she berate her own actions?
3. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
4. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
5. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
6. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
7. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
8. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men disappear upstairs?
9. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
10. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story and discuss how this setting evokes mood. How is the Wright home described? What visceral sense do you get from the descriptions of the house? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify symbolism in A Jury of Her Peers. What about the kitchen is symbolic? What do the jars of fruit represent?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify the imagery used in A Jury of Her Peers. How does the use of simile give the reader a better understanding of Mr. and Mrs. Wright?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)