|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the deputy sheriff?
2. To what road did Harry go to use the telephone the previous day?
3. What kind of trees surround the Wright home?
4. What is the name of the coroner who came to the Wrights' home the previous day?
5. According to Mr. Hale's story, Mrs. Wright was doing what to her apron when he visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
2. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
3. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
4. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
5. What scene does Mrs. Hale imagine after finding the half-poured sugar in the kitchen?
6. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
7. What happens after Mr. Hale finishes his story of the previous day's events?
8. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
9. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
10. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and analyze the theme of guilt in the narrative. What character is racked with guilt and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Lewis Hale and discuss his relationship with the other characters in the story. How well did Mr. Hale know the Wrights'? What regard did he have for them?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze the theme of female loyalty in the narrative. What actions of the women reinforce this theme?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)