|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Mrs. Wright's shawl?
2. When discussing the case with the sheriff, the county attorney marks that the crime was committed in what way?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Hale's eldest son?
4. Mrs. Hale tells Mrs. Peters, "I sew awful queer sometimes when I'm" what?
5. According to Mr. Hale's story, Mrs. Wright was doing what to her apron when he visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
2. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
3. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
4. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appeared when he'd arrived the previous day?
5. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
6. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
7. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
8. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
9. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
10. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Lewis Hale and discuss his relationship with the other characters in the story. How well did Mr. Hale know the Wrights'? What regard did he have for them?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze the theme of guilt in the narrative. What character is racked with guilt and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the details of the Hossack murder trial. Where did the trial take place and in what capacity was Susan Glaspell involved?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)