|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Wright point when Mr. Hale asked the whereabouts of Mr. Wright?
2. Who does Mrs. Hale say "have their hands full" to Mr. Henderson?
3. Mrs. Peters claims cats are __________ when talking with Mr. Henderson.
4. Susan Glaspell wrote A Jury of Her Peers based on the Hossack murder which she discovered working as _____________.
5. When did the murder trial of John Hossack take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Wright property described in the narrative?
2. What does Mrs. Wright consider about the rocking chair in the Wrights' home? How is it described?
3. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
4. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
5. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
6. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
7. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
8. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
9. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
10. How does the theme of guilt apply to Mrs. Hale in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify symbolism in A Jury of Her Peers. What about the kitchen is symbolic? What do the jars of fruit represent?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Mrs. Hale and her relationship to Mrs. Wright in the narrative. How did Mrs. Hale know Mrs. Wright? Were they close? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)