|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Hale feel she should take her hand off of once the men reentered, but found herself unable to do so?
2. What word refers to lack of importance or consequence?
3. What does the sheriff suggest Mr. Henderson look at with him before leaving?
4. Who had requested that Mrs. Hale come along to the crime scene in the beginning of the story?
5. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright was frightened of in her house the previous day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
2. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
3. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
4. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
5. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
6. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
7. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
8. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
9. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
10. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Mrs. Peters and her relationship to the other characters in the narrative. What characteristics is Mrs. Peters described as having? What is Mrs. Peters' objective in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Minnie Wright in comparison with Margaret Hossack. How, in the articles about the Hossack trial, was Margaret Hossack described?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)