|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale absentmindedly begin to do with the ill-stitched block of quilting?
2. Mrs. Wright's shawl always hangs on what?
3. How many times had Mrs. Hale been to the Wright home before the narrative begins?
4. Whom did Mr. Hale call in to go upstairs with him the day before when he found Mr. Wright?
5. The county attorney states near the end of the story that "a sheriff's wife is married to" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
2. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
3. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
4. What is the response of the men when they discover the women examining the sewing basket?
5. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
6. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
7. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
8. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
9. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
10. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the imagery used in A Jury of Her Peers. How does the use of simile give the reader a better understanding of Mr. and Mrs. Wright?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the objectives of each character and the actions taken to achieve those objectives. What does Mr. Henderson want to find in the home? Why does he abandon the kitchen?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)