|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence follows Mrs. Hale's line: "No, Wright wouldn't like the bird -- a thing that sang. She used to sing"?
2. Who announces, "I'm going to stay here awhile by myself" near the end of the story?
3. What does Mrs. Hale discover under the cloth in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
4. In what grammatical tense is A Jury of Her Peers written?
5. Who had the sheriff sent off "for that man who went crazy" yesterday in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
2. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
3. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
4. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
5. What does Mr. Hale describe when he knocked at the Wrights' door the previous day?
6. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
7. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
8. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
9. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
10. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of the story and discuss how this setting evokes mood. How is the Wright home described? What visceral sense do you get from the descriptions of the house? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of John Wright and different qualities which lead the reader to believe Mrs. Wright killed him. Is murder justified, given the circumstances? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Mr. Henderson and his role in the narrative. What threat does Mr. Henderson pose to Minnie Wright? What is Mr. Henderson's intention in his investigation?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)