|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her, "Who did this, Mrs. Wright?"
(a) "I don't know."
(b) "My son did it."
(c) "I did it."
(d) "A burglar did it."
2. Mrs. Hale is startled by hearing Mrs. Peters say: "A person gets discouraged -- and loses" what?
3. What does Mrs. Peters notice about the bird cage?
(a) The door is broken.
(b) It leans to the side.
(c) There is no cover.
(d) It is missing a panel.
4. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright was frightened of in her house the previous day?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her bird.
(c) Her cat.
(d) A spider.
5. What was the name of Susan Glaspell's father?
(a) Forrest C. Glaspell.
(b) James. R. Glaspell.
(c) Theodore L. Glaspell.
(d) Elmer S. Glaspell.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what university did Susan Glaspell earn her bachelor's degree?
2. Mrs. Peters becomes frozen near the end of the story because she is unable to touch what?
3. In Mrs. Peters' first attempt at small talk with Mrs. Hale she says, "The country's not very _____ this time of year."
4. What is half-sifted when Mrs. Hale departs her kitchen in the beginning of the story?
5. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her the cause of death of Mr. Wright?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
2. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
3. How does Sheriff Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
4. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
5. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
6. How is Mrs. Peters described through Mrs. Hale's thoughts in the beginning of the narrative?
7. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
8. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
9. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
10. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)