|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Susan Glaspell born?
(a) Spearfish, South Dakota.
(b) Missoula, Montana.
(c) Davenport, Iowa.
(d) Bismarck, North Dakota.
2. What color is Mrs. Wright's shawl?
3. As the men reenter to leave, Mrs. Hale takes the box and puts it where?
(a) Under the buggy seat.
(b) In her coat pocket.
(c) Back in the house.
(d) Behind a rock.
4. Who enters the house near the end of the story saying, "I've got the team round now. Pretty cold out there"?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(b) Mrs. Hale.
(c) Mrs. Peters.
(d) Sheriff Peters.
5. In what year did the Library of America select the original newspaper article upon which A Jury of Her Peers is based for inclusion in its two-century retrospective of American True Crime?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale suggest when Mrs. Peters questions what happened to Mrs. Wright's bird?
2. Susan Glaspell wrote A Jury of Her Peers following the production of what play of the same plot and subject?
3. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Has anybody been notified?"
4. What theater troupe, of which Glaspell was a member, produced a one-act play with the same plot as A Jury of Her Peers?
5. What does Mrs. Hale absentmindedly begin to do with the ill-stitched block of quilting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condescending comments are made of the women as the men disappear upstairs?
2. What in the beginning of the story indicates the time period of the narrative?
3. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
4. How did Mrs. Wright inform Mr. Hale of her husband's location and means of death?
5. When Mr. Hale questioned Mrs. Wright about her husband's murder, what did she inform him?
6. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
7. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
8. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
9. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
10. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)