|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Then why can't I see him?" after he was informed Mr. Wright was home?
(a) "Cause he's dead."
(b) "Cause he's sleeping.."
(c) "Cause he's bathing."
(d) "Cause he's working."
2. Mrs. Peters nervously says to Mrs. Hale, "it's a good thing the men couldn't hear us! Getting all stirred up over a little thing like a" what?
(a) "Dirty kitchen."
(b) "Dead canary."
(d) "Sink of dishes."
3. What does Mrs. Hale hate to see, as described in the beginning of the story?
(a) Women in ratty clothing.
(b) Things half done.
(c) Hungry children.
(d) Broken stoves.
4. What does Mr. Hale go to look after while the sheriff and county attorney are finishing investigating?
(a) The chickens.
(b) The cows.
(c) The pigs.
(d) The horses.
5. What does Mr. Hale say Mrs. Wright had responded when he asked "Ho' do, Mrs. Wright? It's cold, ain't it?"
(a) "Why's that?"
(b) "Is it?"
(c) "Depends who you ask."
(d) "Not for this time of year."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the previous sheriff in the county before Sheriff Peters?
2. What does Mrs. Peters claim cats are, when talking with Mr. Henderson?
3. What does Mrs. Hale suggest Mrs. Peters take with her to Mrs. Wright at the jail, to "take up her mind"?
4. Sheriff Peters is described as being particularly genial with____________.
5. What is the setting of A Jury of Her Peers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
2. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
3. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
4. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
5. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
6. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
7. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
8. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
9. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
10. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)