|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the women are alone, Mrs. Peters tells Mrs. Hale, "Mr. Henderson is awful ______ in a speech."
2. What is the pattern of the quilt the women discover in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
(a) Serene lake.
(d) Log cabin.
3. In her despair, Mrs. Hail says, "I tell you, it's queer, Mrs. Peters. We live close together, and we" what?
(a) "Live far apart."
(b) "Are far too close."
(c) "Run into each other once."
(d) "Never see each other."
4. What word means "not generous, especially with money," does Mrs. Hale use in referring to Mr. Wright?
5. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Then why can't I see him?" after he was informed Mr. Wright was home?
(a) "Cause he's dead."
(b) "Cause he's sleeping.."
(c) "Cause he's bathing."
(d) "Cause he's working."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hale's response when asked the question of Mrs. Wright, "How did she seem to feel about your coming?"
2. Who asks the county attorney near the end of the story, "Did you want to see what Mrs. Peters was going to take in?"
3. What does Mrs. Peters notice about the bird cage?
4. Mr. Henderson asks the sheriff if he's sure there's nothing in the kitchen that would point to any _______.
5. Who states in the short story, "women are used to worrying over trifles"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
2. What is discovered by Mrs. Peters in the stitching of Mrs. Wright's quilt?
3. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the lack of children in the home and Mr. Wright's personality when the women are alone?
4. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
5. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
6. When Mr. Hale questioned Mrs. Wright about her husband's murder, what did she inform him?
7. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
8. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
9. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
10. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)