|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sheriff suggest Mr. Henderson look at with him before leaving?
(a) The mirror.
(b) The floors.
(c) The barn.
(d) The windows.
2. When Mrs. Peters asks if Mrs. Wright had a bird, Mrs. Hale replies that there was a man in town selling what the year before?
3. According to the county attorney when he exits with the men to investigate, who is "one of us"?
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Mrs. Peters.
(c) Mrs. Wright.
4. Mr. Hale had come by the previous day to ask Mr. Wright if he wanted what installed?
(b) A fence post.
(c) Gas heating.
(d) A telephone.
5. Susan Glaspell wrote A Jury of Her Peers based on the Hossack murder which she discovered working as _____________.
(a) A lawyer.
(b) An actress.
(c) A journalist.
(d) A judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Susan Glaspell's father?
2. In the beginning of A Jury of Her Peers, when Martha Hale opens the storm-door and gets a cut of the north wind, she runs back for ________________.
3. What does Mrs. Hale absentmindedly begin to do with the ill-stitched block of quilting?
4. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had been worried about the night before when the weather turned?
5. What sentence follows Mrs. Hale's line: "No, Wright wouldn't like the bird -- a thing that sang. She used to sing"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
2. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
3. What does Mrs. Hale discover in the box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket? What does she do with it?
4. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
5. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
6. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
7. When the county attorney asks if Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Wright had been friends, how does she reply?
8. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
9. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale attempted to make small talk?
10. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)