|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who went on trial for the murder of John Hossack?
(a) Minnie Hossack.
(b) Margaret Hossack.
(c) Martha Hossack.
(d) Mary Hossack.
2. Mrs. Hale recalled that upon meeting Mrs. Peters the first time she didn't seem like _____________.
(a) A republican.
(b) A mormon.
(c) A mother.
(d) A sheriff's wife.
3. What is the name of Mrs. Hale's eldest son?
4. How many men are waiting in the two-seated buggy when Mrs. Hale goes out to join them in the beginning of the story?
5. How many women are waiting in the two-seated buggy when Mrs. Hale goes out to join them in the beginning of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff suggest Mr. Henderson look at with him before leaving?
2. From where did Mr. Henderson travel to come to the crime scene?
3. When Mr. Hale was asked how Mrs. Wright looked when he had entered the previous day, he first responds that she looked __________.
4. What does the county attorney say is "the thing we need" before exiting with the men to investigate?
5. What does Mr. Hale tell the county attorney his first thought was, upon seeing Mr. Wright?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Mr. Hale call inside after Mrs. Wright told him Mr. Wright was dead? What did they find?
2. How does Mrs. Peters attempt to maintain objectiveness with Mrs. Hale when she concludes Minnie's innocence?
3. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
4. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
5. What leads Mrs. Hale to the conclusion that Mr. Wright killed the bird?
6. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
7. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
8. Why does Mrs. Hale defend the suspect's dirty kitchen? What does Mr. Henderson regard this to be?
9. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
10. What prevents Mrs. Hale from entering the Wright house upon their arrival?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)