|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale respond when the county attorney sees the birdcage and asks, "Has the bird flown?"
(a) "We think the cat got it."
(b) "It has."
(c) "To heaven."
(d) "It was murdered."
2. According to Mr. Hale's story, Mrs. Wright was doing what to her apron when he visited?
(a) Ripping at it.
(b) Ironing it.
(c) Pleating it.
(d) Sewing a patch on it.
3. The only unbroken jar of fruit in the cupboard is filled with ___________.
4. What is Mr. Hale's first name?
5. What does Mrs. Hale notice about the kitchen table when she is alone with Mrs. Peters?
(a) It's half wiped clean.
(b) It is wobbly.
(c) It's covered in dust.
(d) It has a lot of scratches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
2. The county attorney asks himself before exiting with the men, "But would the women know a ____ if they did come upon it?"
3. What word means concealed; secret; disguised?
4. Whom did Mr. Hale call in to go upstairs with him the day before when he found Mr. Wright?
5. Mr. Henderson asks the sheriff if he's sure there's nothing in the kitchen that would point to any _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
2. What memory of brutal loss does Mrs. Peters share from her childhood?
3. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
4. How is the character of Mr. Wright revealed in Mr. Hale's story?
5. What is suspicious about the choice of weapon used in the murder? What do the women remark about it?
6. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
7. How does Mrs. Hale "play off" the stitching of the quilt?
8. What does Mrs. Hale regard of Mrs. Wright's clothing in the narrative?
9. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
10. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)