|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word refers to lack of importance or consequence?
2. The men reenter as Mrs. Hale is asking, "Do you suppose she was going to quilt it or just" what?
(a) Knot it.
(b) Needle it.
(c) Poke it.
(d) Stitch it.
3. Where do the women stand close together upon entering the Wright home?
(a) In the doorway.
(b) The bedroom.
(c) The living room.
(d) The kitchen.
4. Mrs. Wright's shawl always hangs on what?
(a) The coat rack.
(b) The stair door.
(c) The cupboard door.
(d) The closet door.
5. Mrs. Hale describes Minnie Foster as having been _________ 20 years ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the men reenter to leave, Mrs. Hale takes the box and puts it where?
2. What had Mr. Hale been going to town to sell the previous morning?
3. What does Mrs. Hale discover wrapped in a piece of silk in Mrs. Wright's things?
4. What is half-sifted when Mrs. Hale departs her kitchen in the beginning of the story?
5. Where do the men go to investigate first after leaving the women in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Hale begins to piece together the story of Minnie Wright, how does she berate her own actions?
2. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appeared when he'd arrived the previous day?
3. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
4. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
5. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
6. Who went for help after discovering Mr. Wright's body? What did Mr. Hale discuss with Mrs. Wright?
7. What did Mrs. Wright reply when Mr. Hale asked to see Mr. Wright?
8. What does Mrs. Wright consider about the rocking chair in the Wrights' home? How is it described?
9. When does Mrs. Hale ask Mrs. Peters her opinion on the guilt of Mrs. Wright? What is her reply?
10. What scene does Mrs. Hale imagine after finding the half-poured sugar in the kitchen?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)