|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Hale had come by the previous day to ask Mr. Wright if he wanted what installed?
(a) A fence post.
(c) Gas heating.
(d) A telephone.
2. Who does Mrs. Hale say "have their hands full" to Mr. Henderson?
(c) Farmers' wives.
3. Where was Mrs. Wright when Mr. Hale had entered the Wright house the previous day?
(a) In the rocking chair.
(b) At the kitchen table.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) Sleeping in bed.
4. In what city did Glaspell work when she covered the murder trial of John Hossack?
(a) Des Moines, Iowa.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Madison, Wisconsin.
(d) Nashville, Tennessee
5. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale told her he wanted to see Mr. Wright the previous day?
(c) Went upstairs.
(d) Went to the kitchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hale's first name?
2. Who discovers uneven stitching in one of the quilt blocks?
3. What does Mrs. Hale suddenly become worried about regarding her son in the beginning of the story?
4. What does Mrs. Hale absentmindedly begin to do with the ill-stitched block of quilting?
5. What color is the rocking chair in the Wrights' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men respond to Mrs. Wright's worry about her preserves?
2. What is the irony of the plot of A Jury of Her Peers?
3. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
4. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
5. What does Mrs. Hale do with the stitching on the quilt? What is Mrs. Peters' response?
6. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
7. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
8. What indication does Mrs. Wright give in front of Mr. Henderson that Mr. Wright was unpleasant?
9. How does Mrs. Hale feel when her husband begins retelling the previous day's events? Why?
10. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the lack of children in the home and Mr. Wright's personality when the women are alone?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)