|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Mrs. Peters' first attempt at small talk with Mrs. Hale she says, "The country's not very _____ this time of year."
2. With what group had Minnie Foster sung in her youth?
(a) The town choir.
(b) A glee club.
(c) A high school band.
(d) An opera.
3. What is the name of the deputy sheriff?
4. What novelist and playwright did Susan Glaspell marry?
(a) Ralph Arnold Watkins.
(b) Casper Martin Stevens.
(c) Donald Robert Wilson.
(d) George Cram Cook.
5. What does Mr. Hale tell the county attorney his first thought was, upon seeing Mr. Wright?
(a) To put a blanket over him.
(b) To put Mrs. Wright in handcuffs.
(c) To get the rope off him.
(d) To call the coroner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Mrs. Wright's shawl?
2. In what year did Susan Glaspell die?
3. Mrs. Wright's shawl always hangs on what?
4. What fur item does Mrs. Peters go to hang up when she discovers Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
5. When discussing the case with the sheriff, the county attorney says, "But you know juries when it comes to" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale remark to Mrs. Peters about the lack of children in the home and Mr. Wright's personality when the women are alone?
2. What does Mrs. Wright consider about the rocking chair in the Wrights' home? How is it described?
3. What foreshadowing is used in the opening scene of A Jury of Her Peers?
4. What in the beginning of the story indicates the time period of the narrative?
5. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
6. How is the theme of gender roles defined in the plot of the story?
7. How does Sheriff Peters begin the investigation after arriving at the Wright home? What does Mr. Henderson interrupt to ask?
8. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
9. How does Mrs. Hale begin to piece together the signs of anger in the Wrights' house?
10. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)