Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale surmise Mrs. Wright was going to do with the bird?
(a) Bury it in the pretty box.
(b) Give it to the Sheriff.
(c) Throw it in the trash.
(d) Give it to Mrs. Wright.
2. What is half-sifted when Mrs. Hale departs her kitchen in the beginning of the story?
3. What theater troupe, of which Glaspell was a member, produced a one-act play with the same plot as A Jury of Her Peers?
(a) The Philadelphia Players.
(b) The Provincetown Players.
(c) The Punxsutawney Players.
(d) The Pittsburgh Players.
4. Who states in the short story, "women are used to worrying over trifles"?
(a) Mrs. Peters.
(b) Mr. Hale.
(c) Mr. Henderson.
(d) Mr. Peters.
5. What is the title of the original newspaper article upon which A Jury of Her Peers is based?
(a) "The Hossack Murder."
(b) "Rural Homicide."
(c) "Death on the Farm."
(d) "Mrs. Wright Kills Husband."
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her the cause of death of Mr. Wright?
2. Where had the sheriff sent someone "for that man who went crazy" yesterday in the story?
3. What color is the rocking chair in the Wrights' home?
4. Mr. Hale had come by the previous day to ask Mr. Wright if he wanted what installed?
5. Who enters the house near the end of the story saying, "I've got the team round now. Pretty cold out there"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Henderson discover broken in the cupboard?
2. How does Mrs. Hale recall Mrs. Wright? What significance does this have in interpreting Minnie's character?
3. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
4. How is the theme of female loyalty illustrated in the story?
5. What thoughts does Mrs. Hale have of the Wright residence when the carriage arrives?
6. How is Sheriff Peters described in the beginning of the narrative?
7. Why had Mr. Hale stopped at the Wrights' property the previous day?
8. What close call do the women face in the climax of the story regarding the evidence?
9. What is discovered about the birdcage which is uncanny by the two women?
10. What leads Mr. Henderson to the conclusion that Mrs. Wright is a bad housekeeper?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)