|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale hate to see, as described in the beginning of the story?
(a) Broken stoves.
(b) Hungry children.
(c) Things half done.
(d) Women in ratty clothing.
2. When did the murder trial of John Hossack take place?
3. What does the sheriff suggest Mr. Henderson look at with him before leaving?
(a) The windows.
(b) The mirror.
(c) The barn.
(d) The floors.
4. The only unbroken jar of fruit in the cupboard is filled with ___________.
5. Why is Mr. Henderson unable to dry his hands after washing them in the sink?
(a) Mrs. Hale has the towels.
(b) There are no towels.
(c) The hand-towels are dirty.
(d) The towels are wet in the sink.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Peters' kitten killed with when she was young?
2. In what narrative mode is A Jury of Her Peers written?
3. What unseen character is described as having "a voice that somehow seemed to be backing up the law with every word"?
4. What word means concealed; secret; disguised?
5. In what year did Susan Glaspell die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Hale respond when questioned about how Mrs. Wright appeared when he'd arrived the previous day?
2. How does Mrs. Hale feel about leaving her kitchen in the beginning of the story? Why?
3. What comment is made regarding the kitchen before the men depart upstairs? Why is this significant?
4. What leads the women to discover the pretty box in Mrs. Wright's sewing basket?
5. What passing comment of Mr. Hale's reveals information about the relationship of the Wrights'?
6. How does Mr. Henderson explain the need for a motive in the case to the sheriff?
7. What causes Mr. Hale to backtrack in his description of Mrs. Wright's demeanor in his interview with the county attorney?
8. What does Mrs. Hale hope her husband will do in retelling the previous day's events? Why?
9. How does Mrs. Peters describe her understanding of stillness in the narrative?
10. What does Mrs. Hale begin doing once the men exit to investigate upstairs? What does she discover in the kitchen?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)