|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what short story did Susan Glaspell win a prize of $500 from Black Cat Magazine?
(a) "The Mountains Within Me."
(b) "Joyous Spring Meadows."
(c) "Canyon of Sorrow."
(d) "For the Love of the Hills."
2. How many times had Mrs. Hale been to the Wright home before the narrative begins?
3. Before Mr. Hale began his story, he looked "as if standing in that kitchen and having to tell what he had seen there yesterday morning made him" ____________.
(a) Almost sick.
(b) Want to leave.
(c) Almost turn blue.
(d) Want to throw up.
4. What does Mr. Hale tell the county attorney his first thought was, upon seeing Mr. Wright?
(a) To put Mrs. Wright in handcuffs.
(b) To get the rope off him.
(c) To call the coroner.
(d) To put a blanket over him.
5. To whom does Sheriff Peters ask Mr. Hale to explain what he'd seen the previous morning in the beginning of the story?
(a) Minnie Foster.
(b) Mrs. Peters.
(c) Mrs. Hale.
(d) Mr. Henderson.
6. What does Mrs. Peters say Mrs. Wright had been worried about the night before when the weather turned?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her cat.
(c) Her bird.
(d) Her fruit.
7. What does the sheriff suggest Mr. Henderson look at with him before leaving?
(a) The mirror.
(b) The windows.
(c) The floors.
(d) The barn.
8. Where did Mrs. Wright point when Mr. Hale asked the whereabouts of Mr. Wright?
(a) Toward the backyard.
(b) Into the kitchen.
(c) Into the bathroom.
9. Of Mrs. Hale, Susan Glaspell writes, "the fact that she had lived neighbor to that girl for twenty years, and had let her die for" what was more than she could bear?
(b) "Lack of loneliness."
(c) "Mere boredom."
(d) "Lack of life."
10. What does Mrs. Peters reply when the county attorney asks the women, "have you decided whether she was going to quilt it or knot it?"
(b) Quilt it.
(c) Knot it.
11. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Then why can't I see him?" after he was informed Mr. Wright was home?
(a) "Cause he's dead."
(b) "Cause he's bathing."
(c) "Cause he's sleeping.."
(d) "Cause he's working."
12. What is Mrs. Hale's last line in the story?
(a) "We call it -- knot it, Mr. Henderson."
(b) "Trifles are what men are."
(c) "Minnie Wright is innocent."
(d) "We call it - stitch it, Mr. Henderson."
13. What does Mr. Hale say Mrs. Wright had responded when he asked "Ho' do, Mrs. Wright? It's cold, ain't it?"
(a) "Is it?"
(b) "Not for this time of year."
(c) "Why's that?"
(d) "Depends who you ask."
14. What did Mrs. Wright do when Mr. Hale told her he wanted to see Mr. Wright the previous day?
(b) Went upstairs.
(d) Went to the kitchen.
15. What is Sheriff Peters' first name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was it when Mr. Hale had stopped by the Wright home the previous day?
2. Where did Mrs. Wright move to after Harry went to call for the coroner the previous day?
3. Mrs. Hale catches sight of an opened bucket of _________ on a low shelf in the kitchen.
4. Who is to bring Mrs. Wright some things at the jail?
5. In what month does the story take place?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)