|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had the sheriff sent to make a fire at the Wright house that morning in the story?
(a) His wife.
(b) An inmate.
(c) The District Attorney.
(d) His deputy.
2. Who asks the county attorney near the end of the story, "Did you want to see what Mrs. Peters was going to take in?"
(a) Mrs. Hale.
(b) Sheriff Peters.
(c) Mr. Hale.
(d) Minnie Foster.
3. What does Mrs. Hale absentmindedly begin to do with the ill-stitched block of quilting?
(a) Throw it in the fireplace.
(b) Fold it and put it away.
(c) Cut it with scissors.
(d) Take out the stitches.
4. What is beside the wooden bucket on a low shelf in the kitchen?
(a) A stock pot.
(b) A paper bag.
(c) A knife.
(d) A sweater.
5. When did the murder trial of John Hossack take place?
6. Mrs. Hale suggests that Mrs. Peters not tell Mrs. Wright what?
(a) The dishes weren't done.
(b) Her stitching was off.
(c) The fruit is ruined.
(d) They found the bird.
7. When Mrs. Peters asks if Mrs. Wright had a bird, Mrs. Hale replies that there was a man in town selling what the year before?
8. Where had Mrs. Hale met Mrs. Peters previously?
(a) The general store.
(b) A parade.
(c) The county fair.
(d) The library.
9. Mrs. Hale considers the manner of Mrs. Peters to be _________.
10. Of the boy who killed Mrs. Peters' kitten as a child, she says, "If they hadn't held me back I would have" what?
(a) "Hurt him."
(b) "Gouged his eyes."
(c) "Stopped him."
(d) "Killed him."
11. Where was Susan Glaspell born?
(a) Davenport, Iowa.
(b) Bismarck, North Dakota.
(c) Spearfish, South Dakota.
(d) Missoula, Montana.
12. What word refers to lack of importance or consequence?
13. Who had the sheriff sent off "for that man who went crazy" yesterday in the story?
14. Mrs. Hale describes Minnie Foster as having been _________ 20 years ago.
15. What is Mrs. Hale's response when Mrs. Peters says, "Of course we don't know who killed the bird"?
(a) "John Wright did."
(b) "Minnie Foster did."
(c) "I knew Minnie Foster."
(d) "I knew John Wright."
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Hale is startled by hearing Mrs. Peters say: "A person gets discouraged -- and loses" what?
2. According to Mr. Hale's story, Mrs. Wright was doing what to her apron when he visited?
3. What does Mrs. Hale respond when the county attorney sees the birdcage and asks, "Has the bird flown?"
4. Susan Glaspell wrote A Jury of Her Peers based on the Hossack murder which she discovered working as _____________.
5. In Mrs. Peters' first attempt at small talk with Mrs. Hale she says, "The country's not very _____ this time of year."
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)