|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hale respond when the county attorney sees the birdcage and asks, "Has the bird flown?"
(a) "It has."
(b) "We think the cat got it."
(c) "It was murdered."
(d) "To heaven."
2. What does the county attorney say is "the thing we need" before exiting with the men to investigate?
(a) A weapon.
(b) A motive.
(c) A time of death.
(d) A suspect.
3. What does Mrs. Hale suggest when Mrs. Peters questions what happened to Mrs. Wright's bird?
(a) "I suppose maybe the cat got it."
(b) "I think it flew away."
(c) "She gave it away."
(d) "It died of old age."
4. To whose house did Harry go to use the telephone the previous day?
(a) The Rivers'.
(b) The Abbots'.
(c) The Stevens'.
(d) The Johnsons'.
5. Mrs. Hale is startled by hearing Mrs. Peters say: "A person gets discouraged -- and loses" what?
6. When discussing the case with the sheriff, the county attorney says, "But you know juries when it comes to" what?
(a) Country folk.
7. What is the name of the county attorney?
(a) George Henderson.
(b) Henry Peters.
(c) Lewis Hale.
(d) John Wright.
8. Mrs. Hale describes Mrs. Wright as having been like a what in her youth?
9. Mrs. Hale states to Mrs. Peters, "The law is the law -- and a bad" what?
(a) "Law is a bad law."
(b) "Stove is a bad stove."
(c) "Man is a bad man."
(d) "Woman is a bad woman."
10. What does Mr. Hale tell the county attorney his first thought was, upon seeing Mr. Wright?
(a) To put Mrs. Wright in handcuffs.
(b) To get the rope off him.
(c) To call the coroner.
(d) To put a blanket over him.
11. What does Mrs. Hale notice about the kitchen table when she is alone with Mrs. Peters?
(a) It is wobbly.
(b) It has a lot of scratches.
(c) It's half wiped clean.
(d) It's covered in dust.
12. What color is the rocking chair in the Wrights' home?
13. What was Mrs. Wright's response when Mr. Hale asked her "Then why can't I see him?" after he was informed Mr. Wright was home?
(a) "Cause he's working."
(b) "Cause he's sleeping.."
(c) "Cause he's dead."
(d) "Cause he's bathing."
14. Where did Glaspell study for one semester of graduate school?
(a) University of San Francisco.
(b) University of Chicago.
(c) University of Miami.
(d) University of Phoenix.
15. When Mrs. Peters asks if Mrs. Wright had a bird, Mrs. Hale replies that there was a man in town selling what the year before?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Henderson unable to dry his hands after washing them in the sink?
2. To what road did Harry go to use the telephone the previous day?
3. In what month does the story take place?
4. Mrs. Hale catches sight of an opened bucket of _________ on a low shelf in the kitchen.
5. What does Mrs. Hale hate to see, as described in the beginning of the story?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)