|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters the house near the end of the story saying, "I've got the team round now. Pretty cold out there"?
(a) Mr. Hale.
(b) Sheriff Peters.
(c) Mrs. Peters.
(d) Mrs. Hale.
2. Where did Mrs. Wright move to after Harry went to call for the coroner the previous day?
(a) A chair in the corner.
(b) The back yard.
(c) The bedroom.
(d) The front porch.
3. What is the name of the coroner who came to the Wrights' home the previous day?
(a) Dr. Phelps.
(b) Dr. Meadows.
(c) Dr. Lloyd.
(d) Dr. Freud.
4. What is the name of the deputy sheriff?
5. Where did Glaspell study for one semester of graduate school?
(a) University of San Francisco.
(b) University of Chicago.
(c) University of Phoenix.
(d) University of Miami.
6. What did Mrs. Hale feel she should take her hand off of once the men reentered, but found herself unable to do so?
(a) The sewing basket.
(b) The table.
(c) The quilt.
(d) The sugar bowl.
7. The only unbroken jar of fruit in the cupboard is filled with ___________.
8. When discussing the case with the sheriff, the county attorney marks that the crime was committed in what way?
9. Mrs. Peters becomes frozen near the end of the story because she is unable to touch what?
(a) The quilt.
(b) The bird.
(c) John Wright.
(d) The dirty dishes.
10. What is Mrs. Hale's eldest son doing in town while she and her husband are with the sheriff in the story?
(a) Getting a watch fixed.
(b) Buying food.
(c) Selling potatoes.
(d) Buying clothes.
11. Mrs. Hale tells Mr. Henderson that she rarely visited the Wright home because it didn't seem very ________.
12. What does Mrs. Hale suggest when Mrs. Peters questions what happened to Mrs. Wright's bird?
(a) "It died of old age."
(b) "I think it flew away."
(c) "I suppose maybe the cat got it."
(d) "She gave it away."
13. Who had requested that Mrs. Hale come along to the crime scene in the beginning of the story?
(a) Henry Peters.
(b) Lewis Hale.
(c) George Henderson.
(d) Mrs. Peters.
14. What does the county attorney say is "the thing we need" before exiting with the men to investigate?
(a) A suspect.
(b) A weapon.
(c) A time of death.
(d) A motive.
15. What was the name of Susan Glaspell's father?
(a) James. R. Glaspell.
(b) Theodore L. Glaspell.
(c) Elmer S. Glaspell.
(d) Forrest C. Glaspell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to lack of importance or consequence?
2. Mrs. Hale remembers Mrs. Wright mostly as she was before she married, how many years ago?
3. Mrs. Hale considers the manner of Mrs. Peters to be _________.
4. What does Mrs. Hale respond when the county attorney sees the birdcage and asks, "Has the bird flown?"
5. From what university did Susan Glaspell earn her bachelor's degree?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)