|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maureen go to find July in Section 10 after an object is discovered missing from their hut?
(a) His woman’s hut.
(b) His personal hut.
(c) Her own hut.
(d) Daniel's hut.
2. Where does Maureen end up finding July in Section 10 after an object goes missing from her hut?
(a) At home.
(b) At the chief's.
(c) At the car.
(d) At the village.
3. What does Maureen suggest in Section 9 that they need to do to save July?
(a) Run with him.
(b) Take July to America.
(d) Help the chief.
4. In Section 8, what does Victor want his dad to buy?
(a) A car radiator.
(b) A train.
(c) A car.
(d) A bike.
5. Why do Bam and Maureen have difficulty discussing the circumstances in Section 9?
(a) They find themselves not wanting to talk to one another.
(b) They find themselves without the right words.
(c) They find themselves always with the children.
(d) They find themselves angry at the blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children bring to help the small animals born in their hut?
2. What term does July use that frustrates the Small family?
3. What happened to Nora’s husband?
4. Who drives back to the hut after the meeting with the chief?
5. What does Bam ask about Maureen’s actions with the small animals born in their hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Maureen’s feelings about her life, prior to the riots, as reflected upon in Section 9.
2. Describe what Bam’s feeding of the children shows, in terms of his role in the household, compared to his previous life?
3. Explain how Maureen feels about her husband after living in the village for a time.
4. Describe Maureen’s point about the smell of her family.
5. Explain why Maureen drowns the kittens and what this implies about her?
6. What is July’s feeling about Maureen working in the fields, and why?
7. Explain the function of the black man the Smalls meet before the chief.
8. What does Bam try to explain about why the chief shouldn’t kill his own people?
9. What does Martha wonder most about the white woman, when she lived in town with July?
10. Describe the birth of animals in the Smalls’ hut, and how that relates to the accusation of theft.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)