|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is born within Maureen’s hut?
(b) A litter of kittens.
(d) Baby pigs.
2. What has the government promised to do to help the local chiefs?
(a) Provide soldiers.
(b) Provide guns.
(c) Provide food.
(d) Provide new land.
3. What does Maureen tell July in Section 10 about the bakke he so desires?
(a) It is now dangerous to keep.
(b) It is stolen.
(c) It is not his to keep.
(d) It will eventually come to ruin.
4. What is Bam’s reasoning for not owning a pistol?
(a) He doesn’t shoot people.
(b) He doesn’t shoot animals.
(c) He doesn’t shoot guns.
(d) He doesn’t shoot birds.
5. What does Maureen assume the chief wants?
(a) To have his own army.
(b) To fight the government.
(c) To join other nations.
(d) To be left alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is all of July’s money?
2. By the end of Section 7, what does Maureen realize about July and his feelings for her?
3. Why does Maureen question July in Section 7, when he talks of going back to the way things were?
4. Why does Maureen find her husband attractive during dinner an evening in Section 7?
5. Why is Bam suddenly rendered incapable of action in Section 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Daniel gone in Section 10, and what does this mean for Maureen and her family?
2. Describe the gumba-gumba, and the resulting party atmosphere.
3. What is missing when the Smalls arrive back at the hut in Section 9, and what does this likely mean for the family?
4. Describe what Bam’s feeding of the children shows, in terms of his role in the household, compared to his previous life?
5. What is July’s mother’s primary objection to the white people?
6. Explain the function of the black man the Smalls meet before the chief.
7. Why is Martha resentful toward Maureen when she asks where July has gone in Section 10?
8. Why do you think Maureen runs for the helicopter at the end of the novel, leaving her family behind?
9. Explain why Maureen drowns the kittens and what this implies about her?
10. Why does Maureen give a final belittling speech to July, and what does she say?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)