|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a Primus?
(a) A generator.
(b) A type of well.
(c) A stove.
(d) A refrigerator.
2. What does Maureen realize the people in town will see about July?
(a) His possession of money.
(b) His possession of the bakke.
(c) His new wealth.
(d) His new clothes.
3. What makes the children happy, as nothing can?
(c) Buying things.
4. Who used to visit Maureen in the yard with July?
(a) July’s mother.
(b) July’s sister.
(c) July’s wife.
(d) July’s girlfriend in town.
5. What did July’s wife give up for the Smalls?
(a) Her car.
(b) Her stove.
(c) Her hut.
(d) Her extra bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does July's family have a difficult time understanding why he had to bring the Smalls?
2. Why does the old woman become angry with July in Section 2?
3. How much time has passed since Maureen and Bam left Johannesburg?
4. In Section 1, where are the children sleeping, once in the hut?
5. What does Bam do for leisure in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bakke, and its use in the Smalls family, both previously and currently.
2. What do Maureen and Bam argue about in Section 3?
3. Describe the shooting of the warthog, and the resulting meal for the Smalls.
4. Why does July object to Maureen’s use of his wife’s cough syrup?
5. Describe what Bam and July are able to make for the village.
6. What does Maureen realize now about how she treated July, and her assumption that he has taken the keys as one friend takes them from another?
7. What does July learn to do in Section 4, and who teaches him?
8. What is happening in South Africa at the time of the novel?
9. Why do you think July is so insistent that the Smalls continue to allow him and his family to work for them?
10. What does Victor’s anger at the “stealing” of “their” water show?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)