|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maureen get the keys from July in Section 4?
(a) She tells him Bam is angry.
(b) She tells him she doesn’t trust him.
(c) She tells him she needs to go to town.
(d) She tells him she wants to get the mats from the floor.
2. What is understood by July's girlfriend in the city to be July’s responsibilities?
(a) His children in various places.
(b) His children in town.
(c) His employer.
(d) His children at home.
3. In Seciton 4, what does July learn to do for himself?
(a) He learns to cook.
(b) He learns to sing.
(c) He learns to sew.
(d) He learns to drive.
4. Why does the old woman become angry with July in Section 2?
(a) He killed the wrong chicken.
(b) He is cruel.
(c) He spent too much money.
(d) He wrongly thatched the roof.
5. What does July’s mother eventually do as she carries wood in Section 5?
(a) Ask for help.
(b) Crawl on the ground.
(c) Give up.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 1, where are the children sleeping, once in the hut?
2. Why does Bam know something has happened in Section 4?
3. In Section 3, what has Maureen noticed about items in the village?
4. What does July report in Section 4 about the towns?
5. What is Bam’s profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of items does July continue to bring the Smalls family, even in his village?
2. What happened to the blacks under the Small’s employ, including July?
3. What does Martha mean in Section 2 when she says she was surprised at the way Maureen looked?
4. Explain Martha and July's mother's reaction to meeting Maureen in Section 2.
5. What does July learn to do in Section 4, and who teaches him?
6. Explain Maureen’s reaction to meeting Martha and July’s mother in Section 2.
7. What was the relationship between July’s “town woman” and July? What was the relationship between July's town woman and Maureen?
8. Explain what Maureen discovers as she notices various gadgets being used around the village.
9. Describe the bakke, and its use in the Smalls family, both previously and currently.
10. Describe the situation with the vehicle in Section 3.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)