|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maureen realize the people in town will see about July?
(a) His possession of the bakke.
(b) His new clothes.
(c) His new wealth.
(d) His possession of money.
2. How much time has passed since Maureen and Bam left Johannesburg?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Four days.
(d) Five years.
3. What did Maureen’s father do for a living?
(a) He was a servant.
(b) He was a lawyer.
(c) He was an architect.
(d) He was a shift boss in the mines.
4. What does Maureen send Royce to tell July in Section 5?
(a) That she wants him to come see her.
(b) That she is angry with him.
(c) That she wants him to go to town.
(d) That she wants her keys back.
5. What does Bam promise Victor, if he stays home from hunting?
(a) The feet.
(b) The skin.
(c) The head.
(d) The flank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maureen ask that puts July ill at ease in Section 5?
2. What is Maureen afraid of, in terms of the children and the water?
3. What does Royce continue to ask to do in Section 3?
4. In Section 5, what does Maureen wonder about the town woman?
5. Why do Bam and Maureen continue to listen to the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maureen mean when she says “death is a purchase” (pg 65)?
2. What does Martha mean in Section 2 when she says she was surprised at the way Maureen looked?
3. What do Maureen and Bam argue about in Section 3?
4. Explain what Maureen discovers as she notices various gadgets being used around the village.
5. What does Maureen mean when she thinks that the balance between love and duty is maintained differently based on the lovers’ place in the economy?
6. In Section 2, what does July try to explain to his family about the Smalls?
7. What is July’s plan to tell people, when they question his driving of the bakke, and why does Bam object?
8. Why does July object to Maureen’s use of his wife’s cough syrup?
9. What does the son mean when he says “They can’t do anything. Nothing to us anymore” (pg 21).
10. Describe what Bam and July are able to make for the village.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)