|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maureen believe about July as he addresses her and Bam in Section 4?
(a) That he sees them as inferior.
(b) That he sees them as equals.
(c) That she is always who he is speaking to.
(d) That he is always speaking to Bam.
2. What does July claim in Section 5 that Maureen doesn’t like?
(a) Being away from home.
(b) That he isn’t waiting on her family.
(c) Being dependent on him.
(d) That he keeps the car keys.
3. Why can’t the Smalls fly overseas?
(a) Rebels are shooting down the planes.
(b) They can’t reach the airport.
(c) The planes are broken.
(d) The don’t have money.
4. What color is the Smalls' bakkie?
5. What does Maureen ask that puts July ill at ease in Section 5?
(a) About his relationship with Royce.
(b) About his relationship with Martha.
(c) About his relationship with Bam.
(d) About his relationship with Ellen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bam promise Victor, if he stays home from hunting?
2. On what do the Smalls become intoxicated?
3. Why does Maureen want to keep the small warthog?
4. What does July offer Maureen in terms of clothing?
5. What does Maureen understand about the question she asks July in Section 5 that puts him ill at ease?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the shooting of the warthog, and the resulting meal for the Smalls.
2. What does Maureen mean when she says “death is a purchase” (pg 65)?
3. What was the relationship between July’s “town woman” and July? What was the relationship between July's town woman and Maureen?
4. Why is July so humiliated that Maureen doesn’t like him having the car keys?
5. Explain what Maureen discovers as she notices various gadgets being used around the village.
6. What does the son mean when he says “They can’t do anything. Nothing to us anymore” (pg 21).
7. Why do you think July is so insistent that the Smalls continue to allow him and his family to work for them?
8. Describe what Bam and July are able to make for the village.
9. Where does July explain he has been with the car in Section 4, and what is Bam’s concern?
10. What does Martha mean in Section 2 when she says she was surprised at the way Maureen looked?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)