|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
2. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
3. What is Remembrance Day?
4. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
5. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing who is the most unhappy character in "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)