|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
2. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
3. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
4. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
5. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)