|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
2. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
3. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
4. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
5. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)