|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
2. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
4. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
5. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
2. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
3. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
4. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
5. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
6. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
9. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
10. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)