|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sue go the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
2. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
4. Who is with Jude when he dies?
5. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written with Sue as the main character, and
2) at least three literary devices Hardy could use while writing from that different perspective.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)