|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
2. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
4. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
5. Who is with Jude when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
2. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
3. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
4. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
5. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
6. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
7. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
8. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
9. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
10. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)