|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
2. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
3. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
4. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
5. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
2. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
3. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
4. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
5. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
6. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
7. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
10. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)