|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
2. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
3. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
4. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
5. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written with Sue as the main character, and
2) at least three literary devices Hardy could use while writing from that different perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)