|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
2. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
3. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
4. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
5. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
2. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
3. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
4. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
5. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
6. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
9. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
10. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing who is the most unhappy character in "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)