|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
2. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
4. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
5. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
2. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
3. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
4. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
5. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
6. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
9. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
10. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written with Sue as the main character, and
2) at least three literary devices Hardy could use while writing from that different perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)