|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
2. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
3. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
4. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
5. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
2. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
3. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
4. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
5. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
6. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
9. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
10. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)