|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
2. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
3. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
4. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
5. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
2. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
3. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
4. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
5. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
6. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
7. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
8. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
9. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
10. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)