|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
2. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
3. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
4. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
5. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
2. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
3. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
4. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
5. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
6. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
7. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
8. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
9. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
10. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)