|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
2. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
3. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
4. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
5. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
2. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
3. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
4. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
5. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
6. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
7. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
8. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
9. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
10. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)