|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
2. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
3. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
4. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
5. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
2. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
3. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
4. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
5. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
6. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
7. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
8. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
9. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
10. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Sue and Arabella, making sure to note three differences and similarities with each. Also make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your paper.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)