|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
2. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
3. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
4. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
5. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
2. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
3. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
4. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
5. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
6. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
9. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
10. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Sue and Arabella, making sure to note three differences and similarities with each. Also make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)