|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
2. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
3. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
4. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
5. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
2. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
3. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
4. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
5. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
6. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
7. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
8. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
9. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
10. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)