|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
2. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
3. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
4. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
5. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
2. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
3. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
4. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
5. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
6. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
7. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
8. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
9. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
10. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Hardy chooses to have no strong example of a loving, healthy marriage for any of the characters in "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)