|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
3. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
4. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
5. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
2. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
3. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
4. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
5. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
6. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
7. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
10. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)