|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
2. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
3. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
4. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
5. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
2. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
3. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
4. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
5. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
6. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
7. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
8. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
9. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
10. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)