|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
2. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
3. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
4. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
5. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
2. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
3. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
4. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
5. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
6. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
7. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
8. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
9. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
10. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)