|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
2. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
3. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
4. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
5. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
2. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
3. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
4. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
5. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
6. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
9. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
10. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)