|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
2. Where does Sue go the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
3. With whose name do Jude and Sue decide to get his son christened with?
4. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
5. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
2. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
3. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
4. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
5. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
6. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
7. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
8. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
9. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
10. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)