|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
2. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
3. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
4. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
5. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
2. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
3. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
4. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
5. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
6. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
9. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
10. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written with Sue as the main character, and
2) at least three literary devices Hardy could use while writing from that different perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)