|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
2. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
3. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
4. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
5. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
2. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
3. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
4. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
5. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
6. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
7. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
8. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
9. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
10. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)