|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
2. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
3. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
4. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
5. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)