|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
2. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
3. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
4. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
5. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
2. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
3. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
4. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
5. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
6. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
7. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
8. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
9. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
10. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing who is the most unhappy character in "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)