|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
2. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
3. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
4. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
5. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
2. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
3. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
4. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
5. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
6. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
7. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
8. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
9. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
10. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)