|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
2. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
3. What pictures does Sue have on her dressing table in Melchester?
4. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
5. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
3. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
4. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
5. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
7. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
8. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
9. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
10. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)