|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
2. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
3. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
4. What does Sue's school suggest she and Jude do after their overnight outing?
5. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jude take a job with a stonemason when he arrives in Christminster?
2. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
3. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
4. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
5. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
6. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
7. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
8. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
9. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
10. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)