|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
2. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
3. What is Sue's last name?
4. What does Jude decide to focus on after Arabella leaves him?
5. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
2. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
3. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
4. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
5. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
6. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
7. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
8. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
9. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
10. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)