Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
2. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
3. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
4. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
5. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
2. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
3. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
4. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
5. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
6. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
10. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Sue and Arabella, making sure to note three differences and similarities with each. Also make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your paper.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)