|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
2. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
3. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
4. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
5. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
2. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
3. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
4. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
5. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
6. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
7. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
8. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
9. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
10. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)