|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
2. How long does it take for Jude to solidify a job?
3. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
4. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
5. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
2. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
3. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
4. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
5. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
6. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
7. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
8. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
9. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
10. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)