|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsetting gesture does Jude see between Mr. Phillotson and Sue shortly after they meet?
2. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
3. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
4. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
5. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
2. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
3. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
4. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
5. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
6. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
7. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
8. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
9. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
10. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)