|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
2. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
3. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
4. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
5. How many pigs escape from Arabella's yard when Jude is trying to help?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
2. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
3. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
4. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
5. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
6. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
7. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
8. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
9. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
10. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices that Hardy uses to help the reader understand at least one character of your choosing. Use direct quotations and/or examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Hardy chooses to have no strong example of a loving, healthy marriage for any of the characters in "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)