|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
2. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
3. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
4. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
5. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
2. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
3. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
4. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
5. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
6. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
7. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
8. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
9. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
10. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)