|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
2. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
3. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
4. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
5. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
2. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
3. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
4. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
5. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
6. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
7. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
8. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
9. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
10. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)