|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
2. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
3. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
4. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
5. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
2. What does Jude's aunt tell him when he arrives at her house after his big fight with Arabella?
3. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
4. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
5. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
6. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
7. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
8. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
9. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
10. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Hardy chooses to have no strong example of a loving, healthy marriage for any of the characters in "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)