|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arabella's full name?
2. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
3. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
4. What does Sue's school suggest she and Jude do after their overnight outing?
5. What upsetting gesture does Jude see between Mr. Phillotson and Sue shortly after they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
2. What does Jude's aunt tell him when he arrives at her house after his big fight with Arabella?
3. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
4. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
5. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
6. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
7. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
8. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
9. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
10. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)