|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
2. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
3. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
4. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
5. How does Sue let Jude know that she knows he loves her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
2. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
3. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
4. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
5. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
6. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
7. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
8. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
9. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
10. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)