|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
2. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
3. What does Jude as Dr. Vilbert to help him learn?
4. What is Jude's full name?
5. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
2. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
3. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
4. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
5. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
7. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
8. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
9. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
10. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)