|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
2. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
3. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
4. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
5. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
2. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
3. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
4. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
5. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
6. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
7. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
8. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
9. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
10. What does Jude's aunt tell him when he arrives at her house after his big fight with Arabella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing who is the most unhappy character in "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)