|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
2. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
3. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
4. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
5. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
3. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
4. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
5. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
6. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
7. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
8. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
9. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
10. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing who is the most unhappy character in "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)