|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
2. What does Jude learn about Arabella's pregnancy shortly after they are married?
3. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
4. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
5. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
2. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
3. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
4. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
5. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
7. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
8. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
9. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
10. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)