Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
2. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
3. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
4. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
5. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
2. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
3. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
4. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
5. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
6. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
10. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)