|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
2. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
3. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
4. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
5. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
3. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
4. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
5. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
6. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
7. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
8. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
9. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
10. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three important things the reader learns about Jude as a character through the descriptions of Jude's character. Then address why each of these things is important to know about Jude as the reader follows him through his adult life.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)