|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
2. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
3. What pictures does Sue have on her dressing table in Melchester?
4. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
5. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
2. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
3. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
4. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
5. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
6. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
7. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
8. What happens when Jude takes Arabella to Alfredston for the first time?
9. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
10. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel believable AND analyze at least three aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that make the novel unbelievable.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)