|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
2. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
3. What does Jude buy for Arabella after they are first married?
4. From whom does Jude learn Arabella's secret about the pregnancy?
5. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
2. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
3. What happens when Jude takes Arabella to Alfredston for the first time?
4. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
5. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
6. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
7. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
8. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
9. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
10. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three reasons why "Jude the Obscure" could be classified in a genre other than traditional nonfiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least four ways "Jude the Obscure" would be different if the protagonist were a woman.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)