|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
2. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
3. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
4. Where do Sue and Mr. Phillotson take schoolchildren on a field trip?
5. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
2. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
3. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
4. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
5. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
6. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
7. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
8. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
9. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
10. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Sue and Arabella, making sure to note three differences and similarities with each. Also make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your paper.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)