|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
2. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
3. From whom does Jude learn Arabella's secret about the pregnancy?
4. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
5. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
2. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
3. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
4. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
5. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
6. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
7. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
8. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
9. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
10. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss at least five aspects of "Jude the Obscure" that you think have made it such a classic piece of literature.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1) at least three ways the novel would change if it were written with Sue as the main character, and
2) at least three literary devices Hardy could use while writing from that different perspective.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)