|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arabella's full name?
2. How long after she seduces Jude does Arabella think she might be pregnant?
3. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
4. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
5. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
2. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
3. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
4. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
5. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
6. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
7. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
8. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
9. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
10. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing why "Jude the Obscure" should not, in fact, be considered a classic piece of literature. Make sure to use examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)