|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
2. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
3. What does Sue's school suggest she and Jude do after their overnight outing?
4. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
5. When does Sue plan to marry Mr. Phillotson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
2. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
3. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
4. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
5. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
6. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
7. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
8. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
9. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
10. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least two things that the death of Jude's children contributes to the text, and at least two things that the death of Jude's children takes away from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the scene where Sue finds her dead children does the following:
1) changes the tone of the novel; and
2) changes the characters of Jude and Sue.
Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your strong thesis statement.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)