|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sue let Jude know that she knows he loves her?
2. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
3. What can Jude see from the roof of the old barn?
4. How long after she seduces Jude does Arabella think she might be pregnant?
5. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
2. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
3. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
4. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
5. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
6. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
7. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
8. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
9. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
10. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Sue and Arabella, making sure to note three differences and similarities with each. Also make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three different literary techniques Hardy uses to create tension in "Jude the Obscure." Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your points.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)