|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
2. What does Sue buy statues of one day?
3. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
4. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
5. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
3. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
4. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
5. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
6. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
7. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
8. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
9. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
10. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Hardy portrays wealthy characters in "Jude the Obscure," making sure to use at least three specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-reasoned argument paper discussing whether or not Jude is a good role model for teenage readers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1) why it is important to know about the author of a novel, and
2) at least three ways that knowing about Hardy's background and life can help a reader better understand "Jude the Obscure."
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)