|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
2. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
3. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
4. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
5. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
2. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
3. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
4. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
5. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
6. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
7. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
8. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
9. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
10. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-reasoned argument paper addressing why Sue is so against marriage. Make sure to use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least four different ways the story of "Jude the Obscure" would change if the setting were in a modern, urban location.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least 3 literary techniques Hardy uses to make one character of your choosing from "Jude the Obscure" very likable OR very unlikable to the reader.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)