|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(b) Widow Edlin.
(d) No one.
2. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A very beautiful necklace.
(c) A veil.
(d) A wedding dress.
3. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
(a) Teach together.
(b) Open a foster care home together.
(c) Travel together.
(d) Start a business together.
4. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(b) Jude and Sue.
(d) Neither Jude nor Sue.
5. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is little Jude teased at school?
2. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
3. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
4. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
5. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
Short Essay Questions
1. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
2. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
3. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
4. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
5. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
6. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
7. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
8. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
9. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
10. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)