|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude stabs them.
(b) Young Jude shoots them.
(c) Young Jude poisons them.
(d) Young Jude hangs them.
2. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So people don't know how rich they are.
(b) So they can be more mobile.
(c) So they can claim they were robbed.
(d) Because they desperately need the money.
3. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
(a) She is at his aunt's house.
(b) The side of the road.
(c) A tavern.
(d) She just shows up at his job one day.
4. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In her schoolhouse.
(b) On a guitar out in the field.
(c) In his own house.
(d) On the piano at the library.
5. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
(b) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(c) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(d) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
2. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
3. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
4. How does Young Jude die?
5. Where does Sue go the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
2. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
3. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
4. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
5. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
6. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
7. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
8. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
9. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
10. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)