|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he should never have been born.
(b) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he wishes she would die.
2. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
(a) Because of the rumors that he is living in sin (not married).
(b) Because he is caught stealing from the coffers.
(c) Because his drinking is starting to be a problem.
(d) Because he interrupts the preacher so much during sermons.
3. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So they can be more mobile.
(b) So they can claim they were robbed.
(c) So people don't know how rich they are.
(d) Because they desperately need the money.
4. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
5. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
(a) To make Jude jealous.
(b) To try to have another baby.
(c) To just get it over with.
(d) To repair the sins she has committed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is little Jude teased at school?
2. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
3. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
4. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
5. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
2. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
3. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
4. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
5. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
6. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
7. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
8. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
9. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
10. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)