|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Get to her bedside.
(b) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(c) Find out her will.
(d) Tell her he loved her.
2. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
3. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(a) Neither Jude nor Sue.
(b) Jude and Sue.
4. What is Remembrance Day?
(a) A day of celebration and ceremony.
(b) A day to remember parents who have passed away.
(c) A day to remember what you are grateful for.
(d) A day to remember those who died from the Black Plague.
5. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(b) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(c) Ignores it.
(d) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
2. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
3. Who is with Jude when he dies?
4. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
5. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
2. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
3. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
4. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
5. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
6. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
7. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
8. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
9. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
10. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)