|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
(b) The London School of Economics.
(d) Oxford University.
2. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(b) Make problems for him.
(c) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Keep him drunk.
3. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
(b) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(c) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(d) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
4. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
(b) His aunt's bakery.
(c) A train station in Alfredston.
(d) His home.
5. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
(b) In the privacy of his own home.
(c) In a quiet marketplace.
(d) At her isolated room in Melchester.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
2. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
3. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
4. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
5. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
2. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
3. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
4. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
5. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
6. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
7. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
8. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
9. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
10. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)