|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) One weekend a month with Jude.
(b) A very nice allowance.
(c) Her own bedroom.
(d) The freedom to teach again.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Ignores it.
(b) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(c) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(d) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
3. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(d) It is kidnapped.
4. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
(a) Because she knows Arabella is going to try to kill him.
(b) Because she feels threatened by Arabella.
(c) Because she knows they really are still married.
(d) Because she just likes to bully Jude around.
5. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
(a) The flyover by military planes.
(b) The parade of artists that have come to town.
(c) His parents' gravestones.
(d) The arrival of the new bishops.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
2. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
3. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
4. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
5. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
2. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
3. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
4. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
5. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
6. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
7. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
8. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
9. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
10. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)