|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(b) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) It is kidnapped.
2. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
(a) So they can talk without being overheard.
(b) So they can reignite their romance.
(c) So they can steal and get away with it.
(d) So they can run away from people who judge them.
3. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Keep him drunk.
(b) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(c) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(d) Make problems for him.
4. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) No one.
(b) A few of her schoolchildren.
(c) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
5. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
(a) Stop arguing so much.
(b) Take one last vacation.
(c) Get married.
(d) Get divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
3. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
4. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
5. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
2. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
3. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
4. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
5. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
6. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
7. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
8. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
9. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
10. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)