|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(b) Ignores it.
(c) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(d) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) One weekend a month with Jude.
(b) Her own bedroom.
(c) A very nice allowance.
(d) The freedom to teach again.
3. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
(a) Because Sue is pregnant.
(b) Because Sue and Jude have so many children.
(c) Because rumors say Sue and Jude aren't married.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) Through a letter.
(b) He reads about it in the paper.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) By accident.
5. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) To try to get past his love for Sue.
(b) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(c) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
(d) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
2. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
3. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
4. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
5. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
2. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
3. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
4. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
5. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
6. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
7. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
10. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)