|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because she is no longer in love with him.
(b) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
(c) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(d) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
2. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) Through a letter.
(b) He reads about it in the paper.
(c) By accident.
(d) His aunt has to tell him.
3. Why is little Jude teased at school?
(a) Because his parents aren't married.
(b) Because he is very, very tall.
(c) Because he only speaks Spanish.
(d) Because he is too old for his grade.
4. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
(a) He pretends like nothing is wrong and most people don't notice anyway.
(b) A meeting of the school managers is called.
(c) He quits his job.
(d) He realizes he is happier without her.
5. What is Remembrance Day?
(a) A day to remember those who died from the Black Plague.
(b) A day to remember what you are grateful for.
(c) A day to remember parents who have passed away.
(d) A day of celebration and ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
2. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
3. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
4. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
5. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
2. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
3. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
4. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
5. When Sue and Arabella meet at the fair at Kennetbridge, what does Sue tell Arabella about her life with Jude over the past 3 years?
6. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
7. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
8. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
9. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
10. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)