|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(b) Because it is too difficult for her.
(c) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(d) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
2. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he should never have been born.
(b) That he wishes she would die.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
3. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
4. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
(a) One year after leaving their marriage.
(b) Ten months after leaving their marriage.
(c) Two months after leaving their marriage.
(d) Eight months after leaving their marriage.
5. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
(a) Because rumors say Sue and Jude aren't married.
(b) Because Sue is pregnant.
(c) Because Sue and Jude have so many children.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
2. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
3. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
4. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
5. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
2. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
3. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
4. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
5. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
6. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
7. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
8. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
9. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
10. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)