|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(b) Comes on to him.
(c) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
(d) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
2. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
(a) His parents' gravestones.
(b) The arrival of the new bishops.
(c) The flyover by military planes.
(d) The parade of artists that have come to town.
3. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(b) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
(c) Sleep together.
4. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
(a) He suggests they marry in Melchester.
(b) He agrees to walk her down the aisle.
(c) He suggests they come to Melchester.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) A very nice allowance.
(b) Her own bedroom.
(c) One weekend a month with Jude.
(d) The freedom to teach again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
2. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
3. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
4. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
5. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right after Jude and Sue learn their divorces have gone through, what excuse does Sue give as to why she doesn't want to get married then?
2. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
3. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
4. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
5. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
6. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
7. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
8. What happens when Mr. Phillotson accidentally goes to the room where Sue sleeps and begins to undress?
9. Why does Sue get cold feet about marrying Jude when they are at the clerk's office with Widow Edlin as their witness?
10. What does Arabella confess to Jude when they unexpectedly meet each other in a tavern after she has returned from Australia?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)