|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How education should be available to everyone.
(b) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
(c) How much he loves Sue.
(d) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
2. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
(a) She just shows up at his job one day.
(b) A tavern.
(c) The side of the road.
(d) She is at his aunt's house.
3. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(a) No one.
(c) Widow Edlin.
4. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
(d) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
5. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
2. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
3. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
4. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
5. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude come to think about Sue's happiness in her marriage to Mr. Phillotson during their talk on the train to visit their sick aunt?
2. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
3. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
4. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
5. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
6. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
7. What does Arabella tell Mr. Phillotson when she and her friend Anny pick him up on the side of the road?
8. What happens when Arabella comes to Jude, asking for lodging, shortly after he and Sue have separated?
9. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
10. What does Sue confess to Jude after he kills the rabbit that was stuck in a trap one night?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)