|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How much he loves Sue.
(b) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
(c) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
(d) How education should be available to everyone.
2. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
3. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In her schoolhouse.
(b) On the piano at the library.
(c) On a guitar out in the field.
(d) In his own house.
4. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
(b) The time she spent in Melchester.
(c) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(d) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
5. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(b) Neither Jude nor Sue.
(c) Jude and Sue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Jude when he dies?
2. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
3. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
4. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
5. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
Short Essay Questions
1. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
2. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
3. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
4. Why does Arabella go see Mr. Phillotson after the death of Sue and Jude's children?
5. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
6. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
9. When he is very ill, what does Jude say to Sue when they meet in a church after she has remarried Mr. Phillotson?
10. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)