|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) He is too grief-stricken.
(b) She poisons him.
(c) He is too sick.
(d) The boat accident.
2. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) The truth.
(b) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(c) That he knows nothing about it.
(d) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
3. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(a) No one.
(b) Widow Edlin.
4. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
(a) Ten months after leaving their marriage.
(b) Two months after leaving their marriage.
(c) One year after leaving their marriage.
(d) Eight months after leaving their marriage.
5. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
2. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
3. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
4. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
5. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jude to think that it is time to leave Melchester?
2. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
3. What does Jude accuse Sue of after he plays the piano for her in the schoolhouse?
4. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
5. After their children die, where does Jude find Sue when it appears she has gone missing?
6. After talking to Arabella, what excuse does Sue have for not wanting to get married at that time?
7. How does Mr. Phillotson react when Sue asks him if he would consider allowing her to leave the marriage and live with Jude?
8. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
9. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
10. Why do Sue and Jude take a trip to London before they decide to sell their furniture and become more mobile?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)