|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for Jude to solidify a job?
(a) Several months.
(b) Exactly 29 days.
(c) Several days.
(d) One hour.
2. How is Arabella described when she is first introduced in the novel?
(a) As ugly and mean.
(b) As young and pretty.
(c) As very kind but not very smart.
(d) As incredibly smart but shy.
3. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
(b) They drift from place to place.
(c) In the church basement.
(d) In the bakery.
4. What is Sue's last name?
5. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At the nunnery.
(b) They meet in the town square.
(c) At her boarding school.
(d) At her father's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Jude finally receive grammar books?
2. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
3. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
4. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
5. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
3. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
4. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
5. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
6. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
7. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
8. What happens when Jude takes Arabella to Alfredston for the first time?
9. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
10. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)