|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
(a) In a public place.
(b) At church.
(c) In the cemetary.
(d) At his house.
2. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
3. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Donnita.
(b) Arabella Donn.
(c) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
(d) Arabella Peston.
4. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
(a) 18 to 20.
(b) 4 to 6.
(c) 10 to 12.
(d) 14 to 16.
5. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
(a) A fire in his aunt's bakery.
(b) The death of his beloved pet dog.
(c) His completion of his degree program.
(d) A picture of his beautiful cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
2. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
3. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
4. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
5. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
2. Why does Jude have to slaughter the pig he gave Arabella as a gift?
3. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
4. What approach to his life does Jude take after Arabella leaves?
5. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
6. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
7. How does Jude react when Arabella tells him she is pregnant?
8. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
9. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
10. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)