|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the graveyard.
(b) In the shipyard.
(c) In the stoneyard.
(d) In the ballyard.
2. What advice does Arabella ask he friends for after she first starts hanging out with Jude?
(a) How to poison him.
(b) How to get Jude to marry her.
(c) How to find out more about his family.
(d) How to see if he is dating anyone else.
3. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A library.
(c) A pub.
(d) A bakery.
4. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
5. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By lying about his credentials.
(b) By becoming a licentiate.
(c) By stealing money to pay for it.
(d) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
2. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
3. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
4. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
5. How is Arabella described when she is first introduced in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jude takes Arabella to Alfredston for the first time?
2. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
3. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
4. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
5. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
6. What advice about getting married does Arabella give Sue when Sue comes to the hotel to check on Arabella?
7. Why is Mr. Phillotson able to return to teaching at Marygreen?
8. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
9. Why does Sue try to keep Jude quiet as he gives a spontaneous speech to the crowd on Remembrance Day?
10. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)