|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
(a) Because he ran away.
(b) Because he likes her better.
(c) Because his parents couldn't afford him anymore.
(d) Because he is orphaned.
2. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
(a) In her father's place.
(b) In a room in her employer's house.
(c) At the church.
(d) In a nunnery.
3. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
4. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
5. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A pupil-teacher.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
2. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
3. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
4. What religious location does Jude go to to see Sue before he actually talks to her?
5. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
2. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
3. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
4. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
5. What happens when Sue arrives at Jude's house after she escapes from her school?
6. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
7. What happens when Jude takes Arabella to Alfredston for the first time?
8. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
9. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
10. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)