|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
(a) Carnival worker.
(c) Traveling saleswoman.
2. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
3. What kind of job does Sue have when Jude finds her?
(a) She is a model for the town's artists.
(b) She makes religious art.
(c) She is a schoolteacher.
(d) She is a baker.
4. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At the nunnery.
(b) At her boarding school.
(c) At her father's house.
(d) They meet in the town square.
5. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Into the fields he works every day.
(b) His aunt's bakery.
(c) Brown House.
(d) Down to the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sue and Mr. Phillotson take schoolchildren on a field trip?
2. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
3. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
4. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
5. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
2. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
3. Why does Jude take a job with a stonemason when he arrives in Christminster?
4. What deal do Dr. Vilbert and Jude make when they meet each other in Part I?
5. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
6. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
7. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
8. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
9. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
10. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)