|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
(a) She stores them under her bed.
(b) She tries to paint them.
(c) She covers them up.
(d) She keeps them locked in her closet.
2. When does Sue plan to marry Mr. Phillotson?
(b) When her parents can arrive for the wedding.
(c) When she earns her certificate.
(d) She she becomes pregnant.
3. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Because he isn't paying attention.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't get into trouble.
(c) Because they know he is stealing money.
(d) Because they know he is delivering messages in secret.
4. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
5. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Come home and kick her out of the house.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(d) Profess his love for Annette.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
2. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
3. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
4. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
5. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
2. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
3. How does Jude sneak a note to Mr. Phillotson in Part I?
4. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
5. What does Jude do in order to prepare to leave for Christminster for the first time?
6. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
7. Why does Jude take a job with a stonemason when he arrives in Christminster?
8. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
9. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
10. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)