|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude discover is fake about Arabella on their first night of marriage?
(a) Her braid.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her eye.
2. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
(a) He feels too gross and dirty.
(b) She is too beautiful.
(c) She is behind a gate.
(d) He wants to respect his aunt's wishes.
3. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because they miss the last train.
(b) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
(c) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(d) Because they decide to elope.
4. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
(a) He doesn't; this is a trick question.
(b) Someone from the stoneyard tells him.
(c) Everyone is gossiping and he overhears what they are talking about.
(d) She leaves him a note.
5. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
Short Answer Questions
1. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
2. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
3. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
4. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
5. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
2. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
3. What does Sue come to believe is the reason for her childrens' deaths?
4. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
5. What happens when Arabella finds that Jude has died?
6. What happens that prompts Jude into remarrying Arabella?
7. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
8. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
9. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
10. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)