|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
2. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Brown House.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Into the fields he works every day.
3. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
(a) A picture of his beautiful cousin.
(b) The death of his beloved pet dog.
(c) A fire in his aunt's bakery.
(d) His completion of his degree program.
4. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From his previous employer.
(b) From an ad in the paper.
(c) From a radio ad.
(d) From his aunt.
5. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
(a) His parents.
(b) What money he will inherit if she dies.
(c) Running a bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
2. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
3. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
4. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
5. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
Short Essay Questions
1. What specifically does Jude overhear Arabella's friends talking about in regard to her false pregnancy?
2. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
3. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
4. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
5. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
6. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
7. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
8. Why do Jude and Sue decide to walk to Mr. Phillotson's house during their first meeting?
9. Why does Jude's aunt tell Jude as he prepares to marry Arabella?
10. Why is Mr. Phillotson distracted with anticipation about Sue during her time in Melchester?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)