|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
(a) He just wants to go there to start his life over.
(b) There are a lot of pretty girls there.
(c) It is supposed to be architecturally beautiful.
(d) There are many universities there.
2. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(b) Jude's place.
(c) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(d) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
3. How does Jude react to the response to his letters to the university headmasters?
(a) He sends them hat email every week for a year.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He gives up his dream.
(d) He is more determined than ever.
4. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Brown House.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Into the fields he works every day.
5. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Because she is ill.
(b) Because he misses her.
(c) Because she keeps sending him mean letters.
(d) Because he wants to buy her bakery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
2. What does Jude learn about Arabella's pregnancy shortly after they are married?
3. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
4. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
5. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
2. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
3. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
4. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
5. What does Jude's aunt tell him when he arrives at her house after his big fight with Arabella?
6. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
7. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
8. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
9. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
10. What does Sue suggest about her relationship with Jude when she confesses that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)