|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) Completely religious.
(b) A little religious.
(c) Not religious at all.
(d) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
2. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
(a) So he can study further.
(b) So he can find a wife.
(c) So he can try to meet his mother.
(d) So he can try to meet his father.
3. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Employee and employer.
(c) They have no relationship, because they hate each other so much.
(d) Equal colleagues.
4. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
(a) He has to take one more elective.
(b) He needs to put his application together.
(c) He has no money for it.
(d) Classes don't start until the fall.
5. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
(a) That she is really his sister.
(b) That she will only bring trouble.
(c) That she is not really his cousin.
(d) That she is lying and not really who she says she is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsetting gesture does Jude see between Mr. Phillotson and Sue shortly after they meet?
2. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
3. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
4. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
5. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
2. What does Sue confess to Jude about a student she once lived with?
3. Why does Sue think she has to go to London?
4. Why does Jude take a job with a stonemason when he arrives in Christminster?
5. Why is Jude reluctant to leave his studies to meet Arabella for the first time?
6. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
7. What does Sue have to say about the model of Jerusalem that she, Mr. Phillotson, and the schoolchildren go to see?
8. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
9. What kind of advice does Arabella seek -- and receive -- from her friends not long after she meets Jude?
10. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)