|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(b) To church.
(c) To his aunt's house.
(d) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
2. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) All day.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
3. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(b) Eat the baked goods.
(c) Read books.
(d) Steal money.
4. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
(a) Hen House.
(b) Red House.
(c) Barn House.
(d) Brown House.
5. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Arabella's full name?
2. What does Jude discover is fake about Arabella on their first night of marriage?
3. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
4. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
5. What does Jude buy for Arabella after they are first married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sue tell her employer about the statues?
2. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
3. What two main things leave Jude feeling unwanted in his youth?
4. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
5. How does Sue react to Jude when he suggests the scandal at the school might blow over?
6. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
7. How does Jude react to being in the Chrisminster for the first time?
8. Why does Jude's aunt lament the fact that he is living with her?
9. What happens after someone stops Jude, as he is leaving from visiting his sick aunt, and asks if he is studying at the university?
10. Why does Mr. Phillotson tell Jude about why he is leaving Marygreen?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)