|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) All day.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
2. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At her boarding school.
(b) At the nunnery.
(c) At her father's house.
(d) They meet in the town square.
3. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To the town bakery for croissants.
(b) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(c) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
(d) To the church they grew up at.
4. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
(a) Because he ran away.
(b) Because he is orphaned.
(c) Because his parents couldn't afford him anymore.
(d) Because he likes her better.
5. What is Jude's full name?
(a) Jude Funton.
(b) Jude Phillotson.
(c) Jude Fawley.
(d) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
2. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
3. What job does Jude take after he is fired from his first one?
4. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
5. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jude first find out about Sue?
2. What are Sue's statues so controversial?
3. What alternative way does Jude learn about for entering the church?
4. Why does Mr. Phillotson decide to leave Marygreen?
5. What does Jude's aunt warn him about Sue?
6. How does the teaching relationship between Sue and Mr. Phillotson come to be?
7. What does Arabella scheme in order to be able to seduce Jude for the first time?
8. How do Sue and Jude realize they have missed the last train back to Manchester?
9. Why is Jude vulnerable to trouble with the police when he works as a driver for his aunt's bakery delivery cart?
10. How does Jude respond when Sue writes to him, asking him to move to Melchester to be nearer to her?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)