|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(b) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
(c) Because she is no longer in love with him.
(d) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
2. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) That he knows nothing about it.
(b) The truth.
(c) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(d) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
3. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
(a) Dr. Vilbert.
(b) Mr. Phillotson.
(c) Jude's aunt.
4. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
(c) No one.
(d) A few of her schoolchildren.
5. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(b) The time she spent in Melchester.
(c) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
(d) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
6. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) In the privacy of his own home.
(b) At her isolated room in Melchester.
(c) In a quiet marketplace.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
7. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
(a) He quits his job.
(b) He pretends like nothing is wrong and most people don't notice anyway.
(c) He realizes he is happier without her.
(d) A meeting of the school managers is called.
8. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
(a) Promise never to spend the night apart again.
(b) Have breakfast together.
(c) Find a new place for everyone to stay.
(d) Get married.
9. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) An opera song sung in Spanish.
(b) A prayer in English.
(c) A newspaper in French.
(d) A plaque written in Latin.
10. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
(a) Get married.
(b) Stop arguing so much.
(c) Take one last vacation.
(d) Get divorced.
11. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(c) It is kidnapped.
(d) It is born prematurely and later dies.
12. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(c) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
13. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Comes on to him.
(b) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(c) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(d) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
14. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
(a) Only Sue and Jude.
(b) Only Jude.
(c) Only the children.
(d) Only Sue and the children.
15. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
(a) At his aunt's bedside.
(b) Exactly two years after her wedding to Mr. Phillotson.
(d) At the train station, as she is leaving from his aunt's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
2. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
3. How does Young Jude die?
4. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
5. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)