|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(a) Have a baby.
(b) Go out to dinner.
(c) Get married.
(d) Throw a party.
2. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) A few of her schoolchildren.
(b) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
(c) Mr. Phillotson.
(d) No one.
3. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
(a) File for divorce from Arabella.
(b) Burn his religious books.
(c) Enroll in a university.
(d) Go on a drinking binge.
4. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
(a) Because rumors say Sue and Jude aren't married.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Because Sue and Jude have so many children.
(d) Because Sue is pregnant.
5. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A newspaper in French.
(b) A prayer in English.
(c) A plaque written in Latin.
(d) An opera song sung in Spanish.
6. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
(b) Seeing how sick Jude is.
(c) Seeing the marriage license.
(d) A nightmare.
7. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) In the privacy of his own home.
(b) In a quiet marketplace.
(c) At her isolated room in Melchester.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
8. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So they can claim they were robbed.
(b) So people don't know how rich they are.
(c) So they can be more mobile.
(d) Because they desperately need the money.
9. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
(b) His grandparents.
10. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
(a) Two months after leaving their marriage.
(b) Eight months after leaving their marriage.
(c) One year after leaving their marriage.
(d) Ten months after leaving their marriage.
11. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(b) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(c) Comes on to him.
(d) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
12. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(a) Buying bread.
(b) Selling cakes.
(c) Selling shoes.
13. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
(a) That he is going to inherit a lot of money.
(b) That he wishes Sue had not married Mr. Phillotson.
(c) That he never liked her anyway.
(d) That although they had their problems, he really loved her.
14. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
(a) A park.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) The library.
(d) Her father's pork shop.
15. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) The boat accident.
(b) She poisons him.
(c) He is too grief-stricken.
(d) He is too sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
2. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
3. How does Young Jude die?
4. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
5. Who is with Jude when he dies?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)