|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(b) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
(c) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
(d) To try to get past his love for Sue.
2. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
(b) The London School of Economics.
(c) Oxford University.
3. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) It is kidnapped.
(b) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(c) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(a) Throw a party.
(b) Have a baby.
(c) Go out to dinner.
(d) Get married.
5. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(b) Greek and Roman architecture.
(c) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(d) Greek and Roman vases.
6. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
(a) His parents' gravestones.
(b) The arrival of the new bishops.
(c) The flyover by military planes.
(d) The parade of artists that have come to town.
7. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(b) The time she spent in Melchester.
(c) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
8. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A prayer in English.
(b) A newspaper in French.
(c) An opera song sung in Spanish.
(d) A plaque written in Latin.
9. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
(b) At her isolated room in Melchester.
(c) In the privacy of his own home.
(d) In a quiet marketplace.
10. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So people don't know how rich they are.
(b) So they can be more mobile.
(c) So they can claim they were robbed.
(d) Because they desperately need the money.
11. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
(a) Get married.
(b) Find a new place for everyone to stay.
(c) Promise never to spend the night apart again.
(d) Have breakfast together.
12. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
(a) Only Jude.
(b) Only the children.
(c) Only Sue and the children.
(d) Only Sue and Jude.
13. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he wishes she would die.
(b) That God will punish her.
(c) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(d) That he should never have been born.
14. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Make problems for him.
(b) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(c) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Keep him drunk.
15. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(b) Comes on to him.
(c) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(d) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
2. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
4. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
5. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)