|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That God will punish her.
(b) That he should never have been born.
(c) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(d) That he wishes she would die.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) Her own bedroom.
(b) The freedom to teach again.
(c) One weekend a month with Jude.
(d) A very nice allowance.
3. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(b) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
(c) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Because she is no longer in love with him.
4. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
(b) Comes on to him.
(c) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(d) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
5. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) On a guitar out in the field.
(b) In her schoolhouse.
(c) In his own house.
(d) On the piano at the library.
6. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(a) Go out to dinner.
(b) Have a baby.
(c) Throw a party.
(d) Get married.
7. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
(a) Only Sue and the children.
(b) Only Sue and Jude.
(c) Only Jude.
(d) Only the children.
8. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
(a) Oxford University.
(d) The London School of Economics.
9. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A snake.
10. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A prayer in English.
(b) A newspaper in French.
(c) A plaque written in Latin.
(d) An opera song sung in Spanish.
11. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(d) It is kidnapped.
12. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude shoots them.
(b) Young Jude hangs them.
(c) Young Jude stabs them.
(d) Young Jude poisons them.
13. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
14. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
15. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) A few of her schoolchildren.
(c) No one.
(d) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
2. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
3. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
4. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
5. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)