|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A snake.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A rabbit.
2. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
(a) Because she knows Arabella is going to try to kill him.
(b) Because she just likes to bully Jude around.
(c) Because she knows they really are still married.
(d) Because she feels threatened by Arabella.
3. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) In a quiet marketplace.
(b) At her isolated room in Melchester.
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
(d) In the privacy of his own home.
4. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(b) Greek and Roman vases.
(c) Greek and Roman architecture.
(d) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
5. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
6. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) Because they desperately need the money.
(b) So they can be more mobile.
(c) So they can claim they were robbed.
(d) So people don't know how rich they are.
7. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(d) Just outside of Aldbrickham.
8. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
(a) Take one last vacation.
(b) Get divorced.
(c) Stop arguing so much.
(d) Get married.
9. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(b) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(c) Ignores it.
(d) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
10. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(b) Make problems for him.
(c) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Keep him drunk.
11. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
(c) His grandparents.
12. How does Young Jude die?
(a) He stabs himself.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) Someone stabs him.
13. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
(a) He agrees to walk her down the aisle.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) He suggests they marry in Melchester.
(d) He suggests they come to Melchester.
14. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
(a) Enroll in a university.
(b) Burn his religious books.
(c) File for divorce from Arabella.
(d) Go on a drinking binge.
15. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
(a) Out of his home, as a tutor.
(b) At a very private school.
(c) At a major university.
(d) At a large school.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
2. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
4. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
5. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)