|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
(a) Burn his religious books.
(b) File for divorce from Arabella.
(c) Go on a drinking binge.
(d) Enroll in a university.
2. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(c) No one.
(d) Widow Edlin.
3. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
(a) Because she knows Arabella is going to try to kill him.
(b) Because she just likes to bully Jude around.
(c) Because she feels threatened by Arabella.
(d) Because she knows they really are still married.
4. How does Young Jude die?
(a) Someone stabs him.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He stabs himself.
(d) He shoots himself.
5. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
6. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(c) Sleep together.
(d) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
7. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Ignores it.
(b) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(c) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(d) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
8. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A newspaper in French.
(b) A plaque written in Latin.
(c) A prayer in English.
(d) An opera song sung in Spanish.
9. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In his own house.
(b) In her schoolhouse.
(c) On the piano at the library.
(d) On a guitar out in the field.
10. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
11. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
12. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman architecture.
(b) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(c) Greek and Roman vases.
(d) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
13. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a priest.
(b) As a tombstone maker.
(c) As a baker.
(d) As a schoolteacher.
14. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
(a) Start a business together.
(b) Travel together.
(c) Teach together.
(d) Open a foster care home together.
15. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(b) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
(c) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(d) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
2. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
3. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
4. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
5. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)