|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) He suggests they come to Melchester.
(c) He suggests they marry in Melchester.
(d) He agrees to walk her down the aisle.
2. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude shoots them.
(b) Young Jude hangs them.
(c) Young Jude poisons them.
(d) Young Jude stabs them.
3. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
(a) His aunt's bakery.
(c) A train station in Alfredston.
(d) His home.
4. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(b) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(c) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
(d) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
5. What is Remembrance Day?
(a) A day to remember parents who have passed away.
(b) A day of celebration and ceremony.
(c) A day to remember those who died from the Black Plague.
(d) A day to remember what you are grateful for.
6. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(c) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
7. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
(a) Her apartment.
(b) The library.
(c) A park.
(d) Her father's pork shop.
8. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
9. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a schoolteacher.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a baker.
(d) As a tombstone maker.
10. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) One weekend a month with Jude.
(b) A very nice allowance.
(c) Her own bedroom.
(d) The freedom to teach again.
11. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(b) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(c) Make problems for him.
(d) Keep him drunk.
12. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(b) Hold hands.
(c) Sleep together.
(d) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
13. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
14. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A newspaper in French.
(b) A plaque written in Latin.
(c) An opera song sung in Spanish.
(d) A prayer in English.
15. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(b) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(c) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(d) Ignores it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
2. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
3. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
4. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
5. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)