|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(b) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(c) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(d) Ignores it.
2. How does Young Jude die?
(a) Someone stabs him.
(b) He stabs himself.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) He hangs himself.
3. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a baker.
(b) As a schoolteacher.
(c) As a priest.
(d) As a tombstone maker.
4. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(b) Get to her bedside.
(c) Find out her will.
(d) Tell her he loved her.
5. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(a) Jude and Sue.
(c) Neither Jude nor Sue.
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
(a) He thinks it is the moral thing to do.
(b) He has a secret plan to get even with them later.
(c) He simply has no more patience.
(d) He is tired of hearing her cry at night.
7. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(b) Greek and Roman architecture.
(c) Greek and Roman vases.
(d) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
8. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
(b) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
(c) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(d) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
9. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) In the privacy of his own home.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
(c) In a quiet marketplace.
(d) At her isolated room in Melchester.
10. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
(a) Her father's pork shop.
(b) The library.
(c) Her apartment.
(d) A park.
11. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
(a) So they can talk without being overheard.
(b) So they can reignite their romance.
(c) So they can run away from people who judge them.
(d) So they can steal and get away with it.
12. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In his own house.
(b) In her schoolhouse.
(c) On the piano at the library.
(d) On a guitar out in the field.
13. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(b) Buying bread.
(c) Selling cakes.
(d) Selling shoes.
14. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(c) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
15. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(b) Sleep together.
(c) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
(d) Hold hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
2. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
3. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
4. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
5. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)