|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because it is too difficult for her.
(b) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(c) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(d) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
2. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
(a) His grandparents.
3. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman vases.
(b) Greek and Roman architecture.
(c) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(d) Roman-Catholic rituals.
4. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
(a) At the train station, as she is leaving from his aunt's funeral.
(b) At his aunt's bedside.
(c) Exactly two years after her wedding to Mr. Phillotson.
5. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
(a) Help him avoid the law.
(b) Run away with him.
(c) Sleep with him.
(d) Let him have access to her large inheritance.
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
(a) He is tired of hearing her cry at night.
(b) He has a secret plan to get even with them later.
(c) He thinks it is the moral thing to do.
(d) He simply has no more patience.
7. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
(b) How much he loves Sue.
(c) How education should be available to everyone.
(d) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
8. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) Because they desperately need the money.
(b) So people don't know how rich they are.
(c) So they can be more mobile.
(d) So they can claim they were robbed.
9. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
(a) Because his drinking is starting to be a problem.
(b) Because of the rumors that he is living in sin (not married).
(c) Because he interrupts the preacher so much during sermons.
(d) Because he is caught stealing from the coffers.
10. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) By accident.
(b) Through a letter.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
11. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
(a) His home.
(b) His aunt's bakery.
(c) A train station in Alfredston.
12. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(d) It is kidnapped.
13. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
(c) Seeing the marriage license.
(d) Seeing how sick Jude is.
14. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
(b) That he knows nothing about it.
(c) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(d) The truth.
15. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
2. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
4. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
5. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)