|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sue go the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) To see Jude.
(b) His home.
(c) The bar.
2. How does Young Jude die?
(a) Someone stabs him.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He stabs himself.
(d) He shoots himself.
3. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
(a) That although they had their problems, he really loved her.
(b) That he is going to inherit a lot of money.
(c) That he wishes Sue had not married Mr. Phillotson.
(d) That he never liked her anyway.
4. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
5. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
(a) His grandparents.
6. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(b) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
(c) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(d) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
7. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
(b) The time she spent in Melchester.
(c) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
(d) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
8. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(b) Make problems for him.
(c) Keep him drunk.
(d) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
9. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
(a) Because he is caught stealing from the coffers.
(b) Because his drinking is starting to be a problem.
(c) Because of the rumors that he is living in sin (not married).
(d) Because he interrupts the preacher so much during sermons.
10. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(b) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(c) Ignores it.
(d) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
11. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(b) Because it is too difficult for her.
(c) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(d) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
12. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman vases.
(b) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(c) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(d) Greek and Roman architecture.
13. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
(a) Sleep with him.
(b) Run away with him.
(c) Let him have access to her large inheritance.
(d) Help him avoid the law.
14. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(b) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
(d) Sleep together.
15. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(b) That God will punish her.
(c) That he wishes she would die.
(d) That he should never have been born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
2. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
3. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
4. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
5. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)