|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A very beautiful necklace.
(d) A veil.
2. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That God will punish her.
(b) That he should never have been born.
(c) That he wishes she would die.
(d) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
3. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
4. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
(b) At the train station, as she is leaving from his aunt's funeral.
(c) Exactly two years after her wedding to Mr. Phillotson.
(d) At his aunt's bedside.
5. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) Seeing the marriage license.
(c) Seeing how sick Jude is.
(d) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
6. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) Because they desperately need the money.
(b) So people don't know how rich they are.
(c) So they can claim they were robbed.
(d) So they can be more mobile.
7. With whose name do Jude and Sue decide to get his son christened with?
(a) Arabella's father's.
(c) Jude's father's.
8. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
(a) That he wishes Sue had not married Mr. Phillotson.
(b) That although they had their problems, he really loved her.
(c) That he is going to inherit a lot of money.
(d) That he never liked her anyway.
9. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A snake.
10. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
(c) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(d) It is kidnapped.
11. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
(a) Only the children.
(b) Only Sue and the children.
(c) Only Sue and Jude.
(d) Only Jude.
12. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a tombstone maker.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a schoolteacher.
(d) As a baker.
13. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
(a) So they can run away from people who judge them.
(b) So they can steal and get away with it.
(c) So they can talk without being overheard.
(d) So they can reignite their romance.
14. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman architecture.
(b) Greek and Roman vases.
(c) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(d) Roman-Catholic rituals.
15. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) He is too sick.
(b) She poisons him.
(c) He is too grief-stricken.
(d) The boat accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
2. Why is little Jude teased at school?
3. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
4. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
5. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)