|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(c) Mr. Phillotson.
2. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A snake.
(d) A coyote.
3. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
(a) Teach together.
(b) Start a business together.
(c) Open a foster care home together.
(d) Travel together.
4. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude poisons them.
(b) Young Jude stabs them.
(c) Young Jude hangs them.
(d) Young Jude shoots them.
5. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(b) Keep him drunk.
(c) Make problems for him.
(d) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
6. How does Young Jude die?
(a) He shoots himself.
(b) Someone stabs him.
(c) He stabs himself.
(d) He hangs himself.
7. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
(b) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(c) To try to get past his love for Sue.
(d) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
8. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(b) Greek and Roman vases.
(c) Greek and Roman architecture.
(d) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
9. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(c) Sleep together.
(d) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
10. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) No one.
(c) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
(d) A few of her schoolchildren.
11. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
(c) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(d) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
12. What is Remembrance Day?
(a) A day to remember those who died from the Black Plague.
(b) A day to remember parents who have passed away.
(c) A day of celebration and ceremony.
(d) A day to remember what you are grateful for.
13. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
(a) He has a secret plan to get even with them later.
(b) He simply has no more patience.
(c) He is tired of hearing her cry at night.
(d) He thinks it is the moral thing to do.
14. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) He is too grief-stricken.
(b) The boat accident.
(c) He is too sick.
(d) She poisons him.
15. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
(b) How education should be available to everyone.
(c) How much he loves Sue.
(d) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
2. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
3. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
4. How does Jude react to the letter from Sue informing him that she and Mr. Phillotson are to marry in a few weeks?
5. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)