|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
2. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
(a) Burn his religious books.
(b) Enroll in a university.
(c) Go on a drinking binge.
(d) File for divorce from Arabella.
3. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(c) Sleep together.
(d) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
4. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
(b) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(c) Comes on to him.
(d) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
5. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) Seeing how sick Jude is.
(b) Seeing the marriage license.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
6. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
(a) Because of the rumors that he is living in sin (not married).
(b) Because he is caught stealing from the coffers.
(c) Because his drinking is starting to be a problem.
(d) Because he interrupts the preacher so much during sermons.
7. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A snake.
8. How does Young Jude die?
(a) He stabs himself.
(b) Someone stabs him.
(c) He hangs himself.
(d) He shoots himself.
9. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
(b) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
(c) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(d) To try to get past his love for Sue.
10. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) A very nice allowance.
(b) Her own bedroom.
(c) One weekend a month with Jude.
(d) The freedom to teach again.
11. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(d) Just outside of Aldbrickham.
12. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(b) That he wishes she would die.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he should never have been born.
13. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
(a) So they can run away from people who judge them.
(b) So they can reignite their romance.
(c) So they can talk without being overheard.
(d) So they can steal and get away with it.
14. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
(a) To try to have another baby.
(b) To repair the sins she has committed.
(c) To just get it over with.
(d) To make Jude jealous.
15. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) He is too sick.
(b) He is too grief-stricken.
(c) She poisons him.
(d) The boat accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
2. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
3. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
4. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
5. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)