|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(c) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
(d) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
2. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
(a) The flyover by military planes.
(b) The parade of artists that have come to town.
(c) The arrival of the new bishops.
(d) His parents' gravestones.
3. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) In the privacy of his own home.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
(c) In a quiet marketplace.
(d) At her isolated room in Melchester.
4. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(b) Comes on to him.
(c) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
(d) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
5. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a tombstone maker.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a schoolteacher.
(d) As a baker.
6. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
(b) To try to get past his love for Sue.
(c) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
(d) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
7. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) Seeing how sick Jude is.
(b) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
(c) Seeing the marriage license.
(d) A nightmare.
8. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) The time she spent in Melchester.
(b) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(c) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
9. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
10. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(b) Because it is too difficult for her.
(c) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(d) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
11. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
(b) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(c) The truth.
(d) That he knows nothing about it.
12. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So they can claim they were robbed.
(b) Because they desperately need the money.
(c) So they can be more mobile.
(d) So people don't know how rich they are.
13. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A snake.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A coyote.
14. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude stabs them.
(b) Young Jude hangs them.
(c) Young Jude shoots them.
(d) Young Jude poisons them.
15. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sue go the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
2. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
3. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
4. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
5. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)