|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mr. Phillotson work in Shaston?
(a) At a very private school.
(b) Out of his home, as a tutor.
(c) At a major university.
(d) At a large school.
2. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
3. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
(a) Dr. Vilbert.
(b) Jude's aunt.
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
4. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
(a) Because Sue and Jude have so many children.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Because rumors say Sue and Jude aren't married.
(d) Because Sue is pregnant.
5. What does Mr. Phillotson allow Sue once they remarry?
(a) Her own bedroom.
(b) One weekend a month with Jude.
(c) The freedom to teach again.
(d) A very nice allowance.
6. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
(a) Two months after leaving their marriage.
(b) Ten months after leaving their marriage.
(c) One year after leaving their marriage.
(d) Eight months after leaving their marriage.
7. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(a) Selling cakes.
(b) Buying bread.
(d) Selling shoes.
8. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
(a) He simply has no more patience.
(b) He has a secret plan to get even with them later.
(c) He thinks it is the moral thing to do.
(d) He is tired of hearing her cry at night.
9. What is Remembrance Day?
(a) A day to remember those who died from the Black Plague.
(b) A day to remember what you are grateful for.
(c) A day to remember parents who have passed away.
(d) A day of celebration and ceremony.
10. Where does Jude unexpectedly run into Arabella?
(a) She is at his aunt's house.
(b) A tavern.
(c) She just shows up at his job one day.
(d) The side of the road.
11. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So people don't know how rich they are.
(b) So they can be more mobile.
(c) So they can claim they were robbed.
(d) Because they desperately need the money.
12. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(b) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
(c) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(d) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
13. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(b) That he wishes she would die.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he should never have been born.
14. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
(a) He realizes he is happier without her.
(b) He pretends like nothing is wrong and most people don't notice anyway.
(c) A meeting of the school managers is called.
(d) He quits his job.
15. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
(a) The library.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) A park.
(d) Her father's pork shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
2. With whose name do Jude and Sue decide to get his son christened with?
3. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
4. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
5. Why is little Jude teased at school?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)