|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
(b) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(c) The time she spent in Melchester.
(d) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
(a) Start a business together.
(b) Travel together.
(c) Teach together.
(d) Open a foster care home together.
3. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A snake.
(b) A mouse.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A coyote.
4. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
(a) Young Jude poisons them.
(b) Young Jude shoots them.
(c) Young Jude stabs them.
(d) Young Jude hangs them.
5. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(c) Jude and Sue.
(d) Neither Jude nor Sue.
6. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A plaque written in Latin.
(b) A newspaper in French.
(c) An opera song sung in Spanish.
(d) A prayer in English.
7. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
(a) Find a new place for everyone to stay.
(b) Promise never to spend the night apart again.
(c) Have breakfast together.
(d) Get married.
8. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because it is too difficult for her.
(b) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(c) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(d) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
9. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Tell her he loved her.
(b) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(c) Find out her will.
(d) Get to her bedside.
10. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman architecture.
(b) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(c) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(d) Greek and Roman vases.
11. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(b) The truth.
(c) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
(d) That he knows nothing about it.
12. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(a) No one.
(c) Widow Edlin.
13. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
(a) Because she knows Arabella is going to try to kill him.
(b) Because she knows they really are still married.
(c) Because she just likes to bully Jude around.
(d) Because she feels threatened by Arabella.
14. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) Through a letter.
(b) By accident.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
15. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
Short Answer Questions
1. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
2. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
3. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
4. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
5. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)