|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
(a) So they can be more mobile.
(b) Because they desperately need the money.
(c) So people don't know how rich they are.
(d) So they can claim they were robbed.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson hope he can do with Sue in Shaston?
(a) Travel together.
(b) Start a business together.
(c) Teach together.
(d) Open a foster care home together.
3. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
(c) Widow Edlin.
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
4. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(b) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(c) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(d) Because it is too difficult for her.
5. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(c) It is kidnapped.
(d) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
6. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
(a) He pretends like nothing is wrong and most people don't notice anyway.
(b) He realizes he is happier without her.
(c) He quits his job.
(d) A meeting of the school managers is called.
7. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(c) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
8. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(a) Just outside of Aldbrickham.
9. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(b) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(c) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
(d) Comes on to him.
10. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(a) Selling shoes.
(b) Selling cakes.
(d) Buying bread.
11. With whose name do Jude and Sue decide to get his son christened with?
(a) Jude's father's.
(b) Arabella's father's.
12. Why is little Jude teased at school?
(a) Because he is very, very tall.
(b) Because he is too old for his grade.
(c) Because he only speaks Spanish.
(d) Because his parents aren't married.
13. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
(a) Her father's pork shop.
(b) Her apartment.
(c) The library.
(d) A park.
14. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
(b) Keep him drunk.
(c) Make problems for him.
(d) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
15. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(c) Mr. Phillotson.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Young Jude die?
2. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
3. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
4. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
5. How do Sue and Jude's two younger children die?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)