|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Catholic rituals.
(b) Greek and Roman vases.
(c) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(d) Greek and Roman architecture.
2. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
(a) It is kidnapped.
(b) It is born prematurely and later dies.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) She has a hard time becoming emotionally attached to it.
3. Why is Jude asked to leave his job at the church?
(a) Because he interrupts the preacher so much during sermons.
(b) Because he is caught stealing from the coffers.
(c) Because of the rumors that he is living in sin (not married).
(d) Because his drinking is starting to be a problem.
4. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A snake.
5. Where is the fair where Arabella sees Jude, Sue, and little Jude?
6. What does Sue refuse to discuss with Jude on their train to Marygreen together, as they travel to visit their dying aunt?
(a) How rude Jude was last time they saw each other.
(b) The fact that their aunt may die before they arrive.
(c) The time she spent in Melchester.
(d) The details of her life with Mr. Phillotson.
7. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
(b) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(c) Because she is no longer in love with him.
(d) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
8. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
(a) The London School of Economics.
(c) Oxford University.
9. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she is so dumb.
(b) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(c) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
10. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(b) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
(c) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(d) Because it is too difficult for her.
11. Who puts the trapped animal out of its misery (the night of Jude's aunt's funeral)?
(c) Mr. Phillotson.
12. What does Arabella plan to do until Jude agrees to marry her again?
(a) Keep him drunk.
(b) Accuse him of being untrustworthy.
(c) Make problems for him.
(d) Torture him with stories about how happy Sue is with Mr. Phillotson.
13. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
(a) At her isolated room in Melchester.
(b) In the privacy of his own home.
(c) In a quiet marketplace.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't tell her.
14. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
(a) Sleep with him.
(b) Run away with him.
(c) Let him have access to her large inheritance.
(d) Help him avoid the law.
15. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
2. Who does Arabella go to for a potion?
3. Where does Arabella plan to seduce Jude after he and Sue have separated?
4. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
5. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)