|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Jude have when he learns his and Sue's divorces have gone through?
(a) As a schoolteacher.
(b) As a tombstone maker.
(c) As a baker.
(d) As a priest.
2. What kind of potion does Arabella seek after seeing Jude, Sue, and little Jude at a fair?
(a) A potion that makes a woman fall in love with a man.
(b) A potion that makes her appear more beautiful.
(c) A potion that makes a man fall in love with a woman.
(d) A potion that will bring her great wealth.
3. Why do Jude and Arabella take a train to Aldbrickham?
(a) So they can talk without being overheard.
(b) So they can reignite their romance.
(c) So they can steal and get away with it.
(d) So they can run away from people who judge them.
4. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(b) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(c) Ignores it.
(d) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
5. Where is Mr. Phillotson working when Arabella picks him up on the side of the road?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) The London School of Economics.
6. Why does Mr. Phillotson finally relent and agree to let Sue go live with Jude?
(a) He thinks it is the moral thing to do.
(b) He has a secret plan to get even with them later.
(c) He simply has no more patience.
(d) He is tired of hearing her cry at night.
7. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) A veil.
(c) A bouquet of flowers.
(d) A very beautiful necklace.
8. What do Jude and Sue think they should do before Jude's child arrives?
(a) Get divorced.
(b) Stop arguing so much.
(c) Get married.
(d) Take one last vacation.
9. Why does Jude decide to remarry Arabella?
(a) To try to get past his love for Sue.
(b) Because he doesn't know what else to do with his life.
(c) To try to get past the grief of losing his children.
(d) To prove he is an honorable man to Arabella's father.
10. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(b) He is mad she is so dumb.
(c) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
11. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
(a) Exactly two years after her wedding to Mr. Phillotson.
(c) At the train station, as she is leaving from his aunt's funeral.
(d) At his aunt's bedside.
12. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) By accident.
(b) Through a letter.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
13. Why is little Jude teased at school?
(a) Because his parents aren't married.
(b) Because he is too old for his grade.
(c) Because he is very, very tall.
(d) Because he only speaks Spanish.
14. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Tell her he loved her.
(b) Find out her will.
(c) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(d) Get to her bedside.
15. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Three years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Jude when he dies?
2. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
3. Where does Jude tell Sue about his previous marriage?
4. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
5. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)