|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(a) Have a baby.
(b) Go out to dinner.
(c) Throw a party.
(d) Get married.
2. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Find out her will.
(b) Tell her he loved her.
(c) Get to her bedside.
(d) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
3. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(b) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(c) Comes on to him.
(d) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
4. Who is allowed to stay at the first place that offers to house Sue?
(a) Only Sue and Jude.
(b) Only Jude.
(c) Only Sue and the children.
(d) Only the children.
5. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How much he loves Sue.
(b) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
(c) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
(d) How education should be available to everyone.
6. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(b) Jude and Sue.
(d) Neither Jude nor Sue.
7. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(a) Widow Edlin.
(c) No one.
8. Who plans to be a witness to Sue and Jude's wedding before Sue gets cold feet?
(b) Jude's aunt.
(c) Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Widow Edlin.
9. What does Jude want Sue and the children to see on Remembrance Day?
(a) The flyover by military planes.
(b) His parents' gravestones.
(c) The arrival of the new bishops.
(d) The parade of artists that have come to town.
10. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Orders Sue to return home at once.
(b) Ignores it.
(c) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(d) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
11. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(b) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
(c) Because she is no longer in love with him.
(d) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
12. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(b) Greek and Roman architecture.
(c) Greek and Roman vases.
(d) Roman-Catholic rituals.
13. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In her schoolhouse.
(b) On a guitar out in the field.
(c) In his own house.
(d) On the piano at the library.
14. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
15. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That God will punish her.
(b) That he should never have been born.
(c) That he wishes she would die.
(d) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude insist he and Sue do before going to retrieve the children from their temporary overnight lodgings?
2. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
3. Why does Sue finally agree to sleep with Mr. Phillotson after they have remarried?
4. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
5. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)