|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal gets caught in a trap the night after Jude's aunt's funeral?
(a) A rabbit.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A snake.
2. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
3. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A newspaper in French.
(b) A prayer in English.
(c) A plaque written in Latin.
(d) An opera song sung in Spanish.
4. Why is it so difficult for Sue and Jude to find lodging on Remembrance Day?
(a) Because Sue is pregnant.
(b) Because rumors say Sue and Jude aren't married.
(c) Because Sue and Jude have so many children.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Get to her bedside.
(b) Find out her will.
(c) Tell her he loved her.
(d) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
6. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
7. Why is little Jude teased at school?
(a) Because he only speaks Spanish.
(b) Because he is too old for his grade.
(c) Because he is very, very tall.
(d) Because his parents aren't married.
8. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) He reads about it in the paper.
(b) By accident.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) Through a letter.
9. What happens after Mr. Phillotson lets Sue leave to go and be with Jude?
(a) He pretends like nothing is wrong and most people don't notice anyway.
(b) He quits his job.
(c) A meeting of the school managers is called.
(d) He realizes he is happier without her.
10. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
(b) How education should be available to everyone.
(c) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
(d) How much he loves Sue.
11. Who is with Jude when he dies?
(b) No one.
(d) Widow Edlin.
12. What causes Sue to react badly the night before her wedding to Mr. Phillotson?
(a) Seeing what she considers a bad omen in a store window.
(b) Seeing how sick Jude is.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) Seeing the marriage license.
13. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he wishes she would die.
(b) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(c) That he should never have been born.
(d) That God will punish her.
14. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
(b) His grandparents.
15. Where are Sue and Jude living when they learn their divorces have gone through?
(d) Just outside of Aldbrickham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue not want Jude to speak to Arabella, even after their divorce?
2. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
3. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
4. When did Arabella give birth to Jude's child?
5. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)