|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who agrees to take in Jude's child?
(a) Jude and Sue.
(b) Neither Jude nor Sue.
2. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(b) Ignores it.
(c) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(d) Orders Sue to return home at once.
3. What does Jude do once he realizes he and Sue have feelings about each other?
(a) File for divorce from Arabella.
(b) Enroll in a university.
(c) Burn his religious books.
(d) Go on a drinking binge.
4. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Get to her bedside.
(b) Tell her he loved her.
(c) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(d) Find out her will.
5. What does Arabella turn to after her husband dies?
6. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
(a) In his own house.
(b) In her schoolhouse.
(c) On the piano at the library.
(d) On a guitar out in the field.
7. When does Sue first allow Jude to kiss her?
(a) At the train station, as she is leaving from his aunt's funeral.
(b) At his aunt's bedside.
(c) Exactly two years after her wedding to Mr. Phillotson.
8. What is the topic of the speech that Jude makes to a crowd on Remembrance Day?
(a) How education should be available to everyone.
(b) How divorce shouldn't have the stigma it does.
(c) How much he loves Sue.
(d) How education should be limited only to the wealthy.
9. Why does Sue write to Jude and ask her not to come see her anymore in Shaston?
(a) Because his drinking is really getting to be a problem.
(b) Because he is too ugly for her tastes.
(c) Because it is too difficult for her.
(d) Because Mr. Phillotson will get too mad.
10. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(b) Buying bread.
(c) Selling cakes.
(d) Selling shoes.
11. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) The truth.
(b) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(c) That he knows nothing about it.
(d) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
12. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he wishes she would die.
(b) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he should never have been born.
13. How does Jude find out that he fathered a child with Arabella?
(a) Through a letter.
(b) By accident.
(c) His aunt has to tell him.
(d) He reads about it in the paper.
14. Why does Young Jude become irritated with Sue as they try to find somewhere to stay?
(a) He is mad she let herself get pregnant.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't get irritated with Sue.
(c) He is mad she isn't married to Jude.
(d) He is mad she is so dumb.
15. What wedding gift does Jude buy Sue?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) A very beautiful necklace.
(c) A veil.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
2. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
3. What happens to the baby Sue is pregnant with when her other children die?
4. Who has Jude's first son lived with since birth?
5. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)