|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it when Arabella sees Sue and little Jude in Kennetbridge?
2. What prevents Jude from working once he remarries Arabella?
(a) He is too sick.
(b) The boat accident.
(c) He is too grief-stricken.
(d) She poisons him.
3. What interest does Mr. Phillotson take up while Sue is in Melchester?
(a) Greek and Roman architecture.
(b) Roman-Britannic antiquities.
(c) Greek and Roman vases.
(d) Roman-Catholic rituals.
4. How long do Jude and Sue travel for before they reappear at the fair in Kennetbridge?
(a) Five years.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Ten years.
5. What does Sue first confess she and Jude did together to indicate they have romantic feelings for each other?
(a) Hold hands.
(b) Sleep together.
(c) Write love letters confessing their feelings.
6. With whose name do Jude and Sue decide to get his son christened with?
(a) Jude's father's.
(b) Arabella's father's.
7. Who does Sue come to Jude's aunt's funeral with?
(a) A few of her schoolchildren.
(b) Mr. Phillotson.
(c) No one.
(d) A new boyfriend Jude knows nothing about.
8. What is Sue doing with little Jude when Arabella spots them at the fair at Kennetbridge?
(b) Selling shoes.
(c) Selling cakes.
(d) Buying bread.
9. What does Jude confess to Sue after the funeral of Jude's aunt?
(a) That although they had their problems, he really loved her.
(b) That he is going to inherit a lot of money.
(c) That he wishes Sue had not married Mr. Phillotson.
(d) That he never liked her anyway.
10. Why won't Sue run away with Jude, even though the have both remarried their old spouses?
(a) Because Jude is no longer in love with her.
(b) Because she thinks she is being punished for breaking her vows the first time.
(c) Because she really likes her marriage now with Mr. Phillotson.
(d) Because she is no longer in love with him.
11. What are Young Jude's final words to Sue?
(a) That he loves Jude more than he loves her.
(b) That he should never have been born.
(c) That God will punish her.
(d) That he wishes she would die.
12. What is Jude unable to do before his aunt dies?
(a) Find out her will.
(b) Get to her bedside.
(c) Convince her to leave the bakery to him.
(d) Tell her he loved her.
13. How many children do Jude and Sue add to their family during the time they spend traveling?
14. What does Arabella do when Dr. Vilbert arrives one day to check on Jude?
(a) Accuses him of poisoning Jude.
(b) Comes on to him.
(c) Pretend to be sick herself so she gets more attention.
(d) Poison Dr. Vilbert's coffee.
15. What does someone in the crowd ask Jude to translate on Remembrance Day?
(a) A newspaper in French.
(b) A prayer in English.
(c) A plaque written in Latin.
(d) An opera song sung in Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude suggest he and Sue do when they learn their divorces have gone through?
2. Why do Jude and Sue sell their furniture?
3. Who tells Jude that Sue and Mr. Phillotson have remarried?
4. Where does Jude play for Sue the song that impressed him so much on the piano?
5. After their divorces go through, what does Sue offer to do with Jude if he does not speak to Arabella ever again?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)