Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
(a) The death of his beloved pet dog.
(b) His completion of his degree program.
(c) A picture of his beautiful cousin.
(d) A fire in his aunt's bakery.
2. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
(a) Recite Shakespeare from memory.
(b) Show his amazing math skills.
(c) List off the alphabets of 10 languages.
(d) Recite the Creed in Latin.
3. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
(a) That she is not really his cousin.
(b) That she will only bring trouble.
(c) That she is really his sister.
(d) That she is lying and not really who she says she is.
4. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To the town bakery for croissants.
(b) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(c) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
(d) To the church they grew up at.
5. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
(a) A witch doctor.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Dr. Vilbert.
(d) No one.
6. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
(a) So he can be nearer to her.
(b) So he can protect her from Mr. Phillotson.
(c) So he will have somewhere other than his aunt's house to live.
(d) So he can be nearer to his children.
7. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Because he wants to buy her bakery.
(b) Because he misses her.
(c) Because she is ill.
(d) Because she keeps sending him mean letters.
8. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
9. From whom does Jude learn Arabella's secret about the pregnancy?
(a) The newspaper.
(b) Arabella's father.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Arabella's diary.
10. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) Hilda, the town baker.
(c) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
(d) Aaron, the stonemason.
11. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(b) She has entered training school there.
(c) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(d) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
12. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
(a) She is sad because she knows priests can't be married.
(b) She is so proud of him.
(c) They argue.
(d) She is angry because it means he won't be rich.
13. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At her boarding school.
(b) At the nunnery.
(c) At her father's house.
(d) They meet in the town square.
14. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Because he isn't paying attention.
(b) Because they know he is stealing money.
(c) Because they know he is delivering messages in secret.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get into trouble.
15. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
(c) She enjoys watching him learn.
(d) She becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
2. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
3. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
4. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
5. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)