|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
(b) Kitchen knives.
(c) Pots and pans.
2. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Into the fields he works every day.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Brown House.
3. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
(a) Mr. Phillotson comes to pick her up.
(b) She quits in a big scene.
(c) She escapes.
(d) She graduates with the highest GPA in her class.
4. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
(b) By becoming a licentiate.
(c) By stealing money to pay for it.
(d) By lying about his credentials.
5. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
(a) So he can find a wife.
(b) So he can study further.
(c) So he can try to meet his father.
(d) So he can try to meet his mother.
6. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
7. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) They drift from place to place.
(b) In the bakery.
(c) In the church basement.
(d) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
8. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
(a) Find a job and a place to live; he is very responsible.
(b) Get arrested for being a vagrant.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Look at the churches and colleges in the city.
9. What does Jude buy for Arabella after they are first married?
(a) A pig.
(b) A ring.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A horse.
10. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
(a) An original-edition book.
(b) A picture of their house.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A golden ring.
11. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
(a) His parents.
(b) What money he will inherit if she dies.
(c) Running a bakery.
12. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(a) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(c) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
(d) Jude's place.
13. How long after his marriage to Arabella does Jude finally arrive in Christminster?
(a) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
14. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
(a) Accidentally pull her fake hair out of its braid.
(b) Accidentally trip her.
(c) Purposefully trip her.
(d) Purposefull pull her fake hair out of its braid.
15. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Peston.
(b) Arabella Donnita.
(c) Arabella Donn.
(d) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
2. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
3. What does Sue buy statues of one day?
4. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
5. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)