|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
(b) Aaron, the stonemason.
(c) Hilda, the town baker.
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
2. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Peston.
(b) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
(c) Arabella Donnita.
(d) Arabella Donn.
3. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Because she keeps sending him mean letters.
(b) Because he misses her.
(c) Because he wants to buy her bakery.
(d) Because she is ill.
4. Where do Sue and Mr. Phillotson take schoolchildren on a field trip?
(a) To see a model of Jerusalem.
(b) To a movie.
(c) To the city park.
(d) To the oldest church in town.
5. What kind of job does Sue have when Jude finds her?
(a) She is a schoolteacher.
(b) She is a baker.
(c) She is a model for the town's artists.
(d) She makes religious art.
6. How long after she seduces Jude does Arabella think she might be pregnant?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
7. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To his aunt's house.
(b) To church.
(c) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
(d) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
8. What is Jude's full name?
(a) Jude Phillotson.
(b) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
(c) Jude Funton.
(d) Jude Fawley.
9. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
(a) 4 to 6.
(b) 14 to 16.
(c) 10 to 12.
(d) 18 to 20.
10. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) All day.
11. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
12. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
(a) He has to take one more elective.
(b) He has no money for it.
(c) Classes don't start until the fall.
(d) He needs to put his application together.
13. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
(a) She keeps them locked in her closet.
(b) She covers them up.
(c) She tries to paint them.
(d) She stores them under her bed.
14. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
(a) She is asked all the details about what happened by her friends.
(b) She is sad because no one even knew she was missing.
(c) She is sent into isolation.
(d) She is kicked out of the school.
15. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They think it is too lenient.
(b) They don't care one way or the other.
(c) They write letters to the governor.
(d) They protest it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
2. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
3. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
4. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
5. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)