|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
(a) So he can be nearer to his children.
(b) So he will have somewhere other than his aunt's house to live.
(c) So he can protect her from Mr. Phillotson.
(d) So he can be nearer to her.
2. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) A little religious.
(b) Completely religious.
(c) Not religious at all.
(d) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
3. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the stoneyard.
(b) In the graveyard.
(c) In the shipyard.
(d) In the ballyard.
4. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
(a) On a small bridge.
(b) At his aunt's bakery.
(c) Behind his favorite barn.
(d) At her home.
5. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
6. What advice does Arabella ask he friends for after she first starts hanging out with Jude?
(a) How to poison him.
(b) How to see if he is dating anyone else.
(c) How to get Jude to marry her.
(d) How to find out more about his family.
7. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
(a) In a public place.
(b) At church.
(c) In the cemetary.
(d) At his house.
8. What is Sue's last name?
9. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(b) He steals a customer's shoes.
(c) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(d) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
10. How does Jude react to the response to his letters to the university headmasters?
(a) He gives up his dream.
(b) He is more determined than ever.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He sends them hat email every week for a year.
11. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
(a) She is angry because it means he won't be rich.
(b) They argue.
(c) She is sad because she knows priests can't be married.
(d) She is so proud of him.
12. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
13. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
(a) That he not aspire to an education.
(b) He actually never receives any replies.
(c) That he can attend free of charge.
(d) That he can enroll next semester as long as he has the funds.
14. Where do Sue and Mr. Phillotson take schoolchildren on a field trip?
(a) To see a model of Jerusalem.
(b) To the oldest church in town.
(c) To a movie.
(d) To the city park.
15. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
(a) Brown House.
(b) Barn House.
(c) Red House.
(d) Hen House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
2. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
3. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
4. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
5. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)