|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) She was attending the university there.
(b) Her father disowned her.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She was in love with someone else.
2. What can Jude see from the roof of the old barn?
(a) His old town.
(b) The ocean.
(d) A girl he has a crush on.
3. What does Jude learn about Arabella's pregnancy shortly after they are married?
(a) It was fictional.
(b) She got pregnant by someone else.
(c) She had a miscarriage.
(d) She aborted the baby.
4. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A pupil-teacher.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A painter.
(d) A dancer.
5. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) His aunt.
6. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
(a) A picture of their house.
(b) An original-edition book.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A golden ring.
7. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
(b) Carnival worker.
(c) Traveling saleswoman.
8. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(b) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
(c) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(d) She has entered training school there.
9. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(a) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
(c) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(d) Jude's place.
10. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
(a) In a public place.
(b) At his house.
(c) At church.
(d) In the cemetary.
11. What is Sue's last name?
12. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
13. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
(a) His books.
(b) His art collection.
(c) His horse.
(d) His piano.
14. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
(a) He actually never receives any replies.
(b) That he can enroll next semester as long as he has the funds.
(c) That he can attend free of charge.
(d) That he not aspire to an education.
15. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
(a) His completion of his degree program.
(b) A fire in his aunt's bakery.
(c) The death of his beloved pet dog.
(d) A picture of his beautiful cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jude take after working at his aunt's bakery?
2. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
3. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
4. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
5. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)