|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
(a) To beg for food and money.
(b) To scare away the birds from a farmer's field.
(c) To simply stay out of trouble.
(d) To shine shoes.
2. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
(b) Hilda, the town baker.
(c) Aaron, the stonemason.
(d) Mr. Phillotson.
3. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
4. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
5. How long after his marriage to Arabella does Jude finally arrive in Christminster?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(d) Three years.
6. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
(a) His art collection.
(b) His horse.
(c) His books.
(d) His piano.
7. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
(b) A little religious.
(c) Completely religious.
(d) Not religious at all.
8. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
(a) That it is the best she's ever had.
(b) That it is delicious.
(c) That it has been altered.
(d) That it's the first beer she's ever had.
9. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
(b) Because they decide to elope.
(c) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(d) Because they miss the last train.
10. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
(b) His aunt.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) A neighbor.
11. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
(a) So he can protect her from Mr. Phillotson.
(b) So he will have somewhere other than his aunt's house to live.
(c) So he can be nearer to his children.
(d) So he can be nearer to her.
12. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By becoming a licentiate.
(b) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
(c) By stealing money to pay for it.
(d) By lying about his credentials.
13. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
(a) In a room in her employer's house.
(b) In a nunnery.
(c) At the church.
(d) In her father's place.
14. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She enjoys watching him learn.
(b) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is proud of him.
15. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
(a) To France.
(b) To Michigan.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To America.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sue plan to marry Mr. Phillotson?
2. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
3. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
4. How does Jude react to the response to his letters to the university headmasters?
5. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)