|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
2. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
(a) In a room in her employer's house.
(b) In her father's place.
(c) At the church.
(d) In a nunnery.
3. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They write letters to the governor.
(b) They protest it.
(c) They don't care one way or the other.
(d) They think it is too lenient.
4. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
(a) That she is not really his cousin.
(b) That she is really his sister.
(c) That she will only bring trouble.
(d) That she is lying and not really who she says she is.
5. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) His aunt's bakery.
(c) Into the fields he works every day.
(d) Brown House.
6. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
(a) That she is not friendly or nice.
(b) That she is very smart but poorly mannered.
(c) That she is beautiful, pious, and kind.
(d) That she is mean, cruel, and deceitful.
7. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By becoming a licentiate.
(b) By lying about his credentials.
(c) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
(d) By stealing money to pay for it.
8. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
(a) Someone from the stoneyard tells him.
(b) She leaves him a note.
(c) Everyone is gossiping and he overhears what they are talking about.
(d) He doesn't; this is a trick question.
9. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Because he wants to buy her bakery.
(b) Because she keeps sending him mean letters.
(c) Because she is ill.
(d) Because he misses her.
10. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
(a) She is angry because it means he won't be rich.
(b) She is sad because she knows priests can't be married.
(c) They argue.
(d) She is so proud of him.
11. What does Jude decide to focus on after Arabella leaves him?
(b) Finding another woman to marry.
(c) Traveling around the world.
(d) His children.
12. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
(a) List off the alphabets of 10 languages.
(b) Recite the Creed in Latin.
(c) Show his amazing math skills.
(d) Recite Shakespeare from memory.
13. How long does it take for Jude to solidify a job?
(a) One hour.
(b) Several days.
(c) Several months.
(d) Exactly 29 days.
14. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A painter.
(b) A pupil-teacher.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A librarian.
15. What advice does Arabella ask he friends for after she first starts hanging out with Jude?
(a) How to find out more about his family.
(b) How to see if he is dating anyone else.
(c) How to poison him.
(d) How to get Jude to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
2. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
3. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
4. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
5. From whom does Jude finally receive grammar books?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)