|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(b) To the town bakery for croissants.
(c) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
(d) To the church they grew up at.
2. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
(a) That he not aspire to an education.
(b) He actually never receives any replies.
(c) That he can enroll next semester as long as he has the funds.
(d) That he can attend free of charge.
3. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Running a bakery.
(b) His parents.
(c) What money he will inherit if she dies.
4. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To church.
(b) To his aunt's house.
(c) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(d) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
5. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From a radio ad.
(b) From his previous employer.
(c) From an ad in the paper.
(d) From his aunt.
6. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
(a) Because he likes her better.
(b) Because his parents couldn't afford him anymore.
(c) Because he ran away.
(d) Because he is orphaned.
7. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
(a) To Michigan.
(b) To America.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To France.
8. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
(a) All of his savings.
(b) All the furnishings from the house.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) The money from the sale of their pig meat.
9. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
(a) At his aunt's bakery.
(b) Behind his favorite barn.
(c) On a small bridge.
(d) At her home.
10. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
(b) She enjoys watching him learn.
(c) She is proud of him.
(d) She becomes angry.
11. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
(a) His piano.
(b) His art collection.
(c) His horse.
(d) His books.
12. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Employee and employer.
(c) They have no relationship, because they hate each other so much.
(d) Equal colleagues.
13. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At the nunnery.
(b) They meet in the town square.
(c) At her boarding school.
(d) At her father's house.
14. What is Jude's full name?
(a) Jude Phillotson.
(b) Jude Funton.
(c) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
(d) Jude Fawley.
15. What can Jude see from the roof of the old barn?
(a) A girl he has a crush on.
(c) His old town.
(d) The ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
2. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
3. How is Arabella described when she is first introduced in the novel?
4. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
5. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)