|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Peston.
(b) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
(c) Arabella Donnita.
(d) Arabella Donn.
2. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(b) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(c) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(d) He steals a customer's shoes.
3. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
(a) She tries to paint them.
(b) She keeps them locked in her closet.
(c) She covers them up.
(d) She stores them under her bed.
4. What does Jude decide to focus on after Arabella leaves him?
(a) His children.
(b) Finding another woman to marry.
(c) Traveling around the world.
5. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
(a) To Michigan.
(b) To Australia.
(c) To America.
(d) To France.
6. Which word best describes how Jude feels toward Sue during the first days he observes her?
7. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
(a) 10 to 12.
(b) 18 to 20.
(c) 4 to 6.
(d) 14 to 16.
8. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
(a) He actually never receives any replies.
(b) That he can attend free of charge.
(c) That he not aspire to an education.
(d) That he can enroll next semester as long as he has the funds.
9. What does Sue's school suggest she and Jude do after their overnight outing?
(a) Write a book about what happened afterward.
(b) Get married to stop the controversy.
(c) Never show their face in town.
(d) Serve a role models against misogyny.
10. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From his aunt.
(b) From an ad in the paper.
(c) From his previous employer.
(d) From a radio ad.
11. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To his aunt's house.
(b) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
(c) To church.
(d) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
12. How long does it take for Jude to solidify a job?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several months.
(c) One hour.
(d) Exactly 29 days.
13. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(b) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(c) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
(d) Jude's place.
14. How is Arabella described when she is first introduced in the novel?
(a) As ugly and mean.
(b) As very kind but not very smart.
(c) As young and pretty.
(d) As incredibly smart but shy.
15. What is Jude's full name?
(a) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
(b) Jude Phillotson.
(c) Jude Fawley.
(d) Jude Funton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
2. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
3. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
4. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
5. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)