|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
(a) All the furnishings from the house.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) The money from the sale of their pig meat.
(d) All of his savings.
2. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Peston.
(b) Arabella Donnita.
(c) Arabella Donn.
(d) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
3. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
(b) Mr. Phillotson.
(c) Hilda, the town baker.
(d) Aaron, the stonemason.
4. How long after she seduces Jude does Arabella think she might be pregnant?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two days.
5. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
6. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
7. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By lying about his credentials.
(b) By stealing money to pay for it.
(c) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
(d) By becoming a licentiate.
8. From whom does Jude finally receive grammar books?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) His mother.
(c) The neighborhood priest.
(d) His aunt.
9. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) She was born there.
(b) She was in love with someone else.
(c) Her father disowned her.
(d) She was attending the university there.
10. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
(a) She leaves him a cruel message on the fridge.
(b) He returns to an empty house.
(c) She has a messenger deliver the news.
(d) He reads about it in the newspaper.
11. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
(b) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(c) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(d) She has entered training school there.
12. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Profess his love for Annette.
(d) Come home and kick her out of the house.
13. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
(a) Mr. Phillotson comes to pick her up.
(b) She escapes.
(c) She quits in a big scene.
(d) She graduates with the highest GPA in her class.
14. What job does Jude take after working at his aunt's bakery?
(a) As an apprentice to a preacher.
(b) As an apprentice to a cobbler.
(c) As an apprentice to a medicine man.
(d) As an apprentice to a stone mason.
15. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He steals a customer's shoes.
(b) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(c) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(d) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sue's last name?
2. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
3. How does Sue let Jude know that she knows he loves her?
4. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
5. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)