|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because they decide to elope.
(b) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
(c) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(d) Because they miss the last train.
2. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She has entered training school there.
(b) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(c) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(d) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
3. How long after his marriage to Arabella does Jude finally arrive in Christminster?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
4. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
(b) They drift from place to place.
(c) In the church basement.
(d) In the bakery.
5. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(b) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(c) He steals a customer's shoes.
(d) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
6. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
(a) She has a messenger deliver the news.
(b) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(c) She leaves him a cruel message on the fridge.
(d) He returns to an empty house.
7. What religious location does Jude go to to see Sue before he actually talks to her?
(a) A nunnery.
(b) The church Sunday school.
(c) The Church prison.
8. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
(a) A golden ring.
(b) An original-edition book.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) A picture of their house.
9. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) All of his savings.
(c) The money from the sale of their pig meat.
(d) All the furnishings from the house.
10. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
(a) She brings him water in the fields.
(b) She whistles at him.
(c) She throws pig entrails on him.
(d) She grabs him and starts dancing at a festival.
11. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
(a) A witch doctor.
(b) Dr. Vilbert.
(c) No one.
(d) Her mother.
12. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
(b) Running a bakery.
(c) What money he will inherit if she dies.
(d) His parents.
13. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
14. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
(a) At his mother's bakery.
(b) At a tavern in Marygreen.
(c) At her father's tavern.
(d) At a tavern in Alfredston.
15. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
(a) Purposefull pull her fake hair out of its braid.
(b) Purposefully trip her.
(c) Accidentally pull her fake hair out of its braid.
(d) Accidentally trip her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upsetting gesture does Jude see between Mr. Phillotson and Sue shortly after they meet?
2. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
3. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
4. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
5. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)