|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after she seduces Jude does Arabella think she might be pregnant?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two months.
2. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the ballyard.
(b) In the shipyard.
(c) In the stoneyard.
(d) In the graveyard.
3. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By becoming a licentiate.
(b) By stealing money to pay for it.
(c) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
(d) By lying about his credentials.
4. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To the town bakery for croissants.
(b) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(c) To the church they grew up at.
(d) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
5. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A painter.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A pupil-teacher.
6. What scandalous job did Arabella once have?
(b) Traveling saleswoman.
(c) Carnival worker.
7. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
(a) To France.
(b) To Michigan.
(c) To America.
(d) To Australia.
8. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She enjoys watching him learn.
(b) She is proud of him.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
9. What does Jude buy for Arabella after they are first married?
(a) A pig.
(b) A horse.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A ring.
10. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
(a) She is so proud of him.
(b) She is angry because it means he won't be rich.
(c) They argue.
(d) She is sad because she knows priests can't be married.
11. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
(a) His aunt.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Her grandmother.
12. How does Arabella first get Jude's attention?
(a) She whistles at him.
(b) She grabs him and starts dancing at a festival.
(c) She throws pig entrails on him.
(d) She brings him water in the fields.
13. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) Her father disowned her.
(b) She was attending the university there.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She was in love with someone else.
14. What does Arabella throw at Jude when he accuses her of faking the pregnancy?
(a) Pots and pans.
(d) Kitchen knives.
15. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(b) He steals a customer's shoes.
(c) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(d) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
2. From whom does Jude learn Arabella's secret about the pregnancy?
3. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
4. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
5. What is Sue's last name?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)