|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
(a) One week later.
(c) The very next day.
(d) One month later.
2. How does Sue let Jude know that she knows he loves her?
(a) Through a messenger.
(b) In a letter.
(c) In a phone call.
(d) In person.
3. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
(a) To shine shoes.
(b) To simply stay out of trouble.
(c) To beg for food and money.
(d) To scare away the birds from a farmer's field.
4. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
5. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(b) Eat the baked goods.
(c) Steal money.
(d) Read books.
6. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
(a) Classes don't start until the fall.
(b) He has to take one more elective.
(c) He needs to put his application together.
(d) He has no money for it.
7. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
(a) So he can find a wife.
(b) So he can try to meet his mother.
(c) So he can study further.
(d) So he can try to meet his father.
8. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
9. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
(a) At his office.
(b) With his aunt.
(c) At his home.
(d) In his lunchbox.
10. What does Sue buy statues of one day?
(a) Venus and Apollo.
11. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They protest it.
(b) They write letters to the governor.
(c) They don't care one way or the other.
(d) They think it is too lenient.
12. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
(a) She is sad because she knows priests can't be married.
(b) She is so proud of him.
(c) They argue.
(d) She is angry because it means he won't be rich.
13. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A pupil-teacher.
(d) A painter.
14. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
(b) She enjoys watching him learn.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is proud of him.
15. What noteworthy item did Jude give Arabella as a wedding gift that he later discovers she has abandoned?
(a) An original-edition book.
(b) A picture of himself.
(c) A golden ring.
(d) A picture of their house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
2. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
3. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
4. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
5. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)