|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) She was attending the university there.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She was in love with someone else.
(d) Her father disowned her.
2. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
(a) He just wants to go there to start his life over.
(b) It is supposed to be architecturally beautiful.
(c) There are a lot of pretty girls there.
(d) There are many universities there.
3. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
(a) That she is lying and not really who she says she is.
(b) That she is really his sister.
(c) That she is not really his cousin.
(d) That she will only bring trouble.
4. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
5. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She has entered training school there.
(b) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(c) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(d) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
6. How many pigs escape from Arabella's yard when Jude is trying to help?
7. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
(a) She has excellent moral character.
(b) She has neither good nor bad morals.
(c) She does not have good moral character.
(d) Her moral character is heavily influenced by her religion.
8. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Peston.
(b) Arabella Donnita.
(c) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
(d) Arabella Donn.
9. What wicked way does Arabella plan to make Jude marry her?
(a) By getting pregnant.
(b) By saying she'll kill herself if he wont' do it.
(c) By poisoning him.
(d) By posing as a very rich woman.
10. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Profess his love for Annette.
(b) Come home and kick her out of the house.
(c) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(d) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
11. Why does Jude go visit his aunt for the first time after he moves to Christminster?
(a) Because he misses her.
(b) Because he wants to buy her bakery.
(c) Because she is ill.
(d) Because she keeps sending him mean letters.
12. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
(b) To his aunt's house.
(c) To church.
(d) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
13. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) In the church basement.
(b) In the bakery.
(c) They drift from place to place.
(d) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
14. What religious location does Jude go to to see Sue before he actually talks to her?
(a) The church Sunday school.
(b) A nunnery.
(c) The Church prison.
15. What kind of job does Sue have when Jude finds her?
(a) She is a model for the town's artists.
(b) She is a baker.
(c) She makes religious art.
(d) She is a schoolteacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
2. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
3. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
4. What does Sue buy statues of one day?
5. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)