|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
(a) One week later.
(c) The very next day.
(d) One month later.
2. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By becoming a licentiate.
(b) By stealing money to pay for it.
(c) By lying about his credentials.
(d) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
3. Why does Jude decide he ultimately wants to go to Christminster?
(a) So he can study further.
(b) So he can find a wife.
(c) So he can try to meet his father.
(d) So he can try to meet his mother.
4. What does Jude learn about Arabella's pregnancy shortly after they are married?
(a) She had a miscarriage.
(b) It was fictional.
(c) She got pregnant by someone else.
(d) She aborted the baby.
5. What does Jude give Arabella after she leaves him?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) The money from the sale of their pig meat.
(c) All of his savings.
(d) All the furnishings from the house.
6. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Profess his love for Annette.
(d) Come home and kick her out of the house.
7. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
(a) Sell them to a broker.
(b) Chop them up in a fit of rage.
(c) Burn them in the town square.
(d) Clean them off and secretly put them back in their house.
8. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Equal colleagues.
(c) Employee and employer.
(d) They have no relationship, because they hate each other so much.
9. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
(a) What money he will inherit if she dies.
(b) Running a bakery.
(d) His parents.
10. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) A little religious.
(b) Completely religious.
(c) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
(d) Not religious at all.
11. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the graveyard.
(b) In the ballyard.
(c) In the shipyard.
(d) In the stoneyard.
12. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
(a) That it's the first beer she's ever had.
(b) That it is the best she's ever had.
(c) That it is delicious.
(d) That it has been altered.
13. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They write letters to the governor.
(b) They protest it.
(c) They don't care one way or the other.
(d) They think it is too lenient.
14. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(b) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(c) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(d) He steals a customer's shoes.
15. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
(a) She has excellent moral character.
(b) Her moral character is heavily influenced by her religion.
(c) She does not have good moral character.
(d) She has neither good nor bad morals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
2. What wicked way does Arabella plan to make Jude marry her?
3. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
4. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
5. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)