|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(b) Because they miss the last train.
(c) Because they decide to elope.
(d) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
2. What does Jude discover is fake about Arabella on their first night of marriage?
(a) Her name.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her eye.
(d) Her braid.
3. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
(a) A witch doctor.
(b) No one.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Dr. Vilbert.
4. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
5. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
(a) That it is the best she's ever had.
(b) That it's the first beer she's ever had.
(c) That it is delicious.
(d) That it has been altered.
6. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At the nunnery.
(b) They meet in the town square.
(c) At her boarding school.
(d) At her father's house.
7. Where does Arabella want to go after she leaves Jude?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To Michigan.
(c) To France.
(d) To America.
8. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Profess his love for Annette.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Come home and kick her out of the house.
(d) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
9. How is Arabella described when she is first introduced in the novel?
(a) As very kind but not very smart.
(b) As young and pretty.
(c) As ugly and mean.
(d) As incredibly smart but shy.
10. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She enjoys watching him learn.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
11. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
12. Where does Jude go after his first main fight with Arabella?
(a) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(b) To his aunt's house.
(c) To church.
(d) To the top of the barn he loves so much.
13. How long after his marriage to Arabella does Jude finally arrive in Christminster?
(a) Three months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
14. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To the town bakery for croissants.
(b) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
(c) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(d) To the church they grew up at.
15. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
(a) 18 to 20.
(b) 14 to 16.
(c) 10 to 12.
(d) 4 to 6.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
2. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
3. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
4. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
5. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)