|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
(a) She is kicked out of the school.
(b) She is sad because no one even knew she was missing.
(c) She is asked all the details about what happened by her friends.
(d) She is sent into isolation.
2. What is Sue's last name?
3. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
4. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At her father's house.
(b) At the nunnery.
(c) They meet in the town square.
(d) At her boarding school.
5. What does Jude discover is fake about Arabella on their first night of marriage?
(a) Her age.
(b) Her eye.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her braid.
6. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(a) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
(b) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(c) Jude's place.
7. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(b) Eat the baked goods.
(c) Read books.
(d) Steal money.
8. How does Jude decide he will alternatively enter the church?
(a) By stealing money to pay for it.
(b) By becoming a licentiate.
(c) By lying about his credentials.
(d) By going on a hunger strike until they let him in.
9. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
(a) That it's the first beer she's ever had.
(b) That it has been altered.
(c) That it is the best she's ever had.
(d) That it is delicious.
10. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From his aunt.
(b) From a radio ad.
(c) From an ad in the paper.
(d) From his previous employer.
11. Why does Sue ask Jude to move to Melchester?
(a) So he will have somewhere other than his aunt's house to live.
(b) So he can protect her from Mr. Phillotson.
(c) So he can be nearer to his children.
(d) So he can be nearer to her.
12. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
(a) She denies it.
(b) She starts to deny it, feels bad, and then comes clean.
(c) She doesn't really give a clear answer.
(d) She admits that it's true.
13. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(b) Come home and kick her out of the house.
(c) Profess his love for Annette.
(d) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
14. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They think it is too lenient.
(b) They don't care one way or the other.
(c) They write letters to the governor.
(d) They protest it.
15. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
(a) That she is beautiful, pious, and kind.
(b) That she is mean, cruel, and deceitful.
(c) That she is not friendly or nice.
(d) That she is very smart but poorly mannered.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude asks his aunt about during his first visit there after he moves to Christminster?
2. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
3. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
4. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
5. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)