|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) She was born there.
(b) She was in love with someone else.
(c) She was attending the university there.
(d) Her father disowned her.
2. What impressive feat does Jude do at a bar to impress his fellow masons?
(a) Recite Shakespeare from memory.
(b) Recite the Creed in Latin.
(c) Show his amazing math skills.
(d) List off the alphabets of 10 languages.
3. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
4. What kind of job does Sue have when Jude finds her?
(a) She is a baker.
(b) She makes religious art.
(c) She is a model for the town's artists.
(d) She is a schoolteacher.
5. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A painter.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A pupil-teacher.
6. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Brown House.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Into the fields he works every day.
7. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
(a) Father and daughter.
(b) Employee and employer.
(c) They have no relationship, because they hate each other so much.
(d) Equal colleagues.
8. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He steals a customer's shoes.
(b) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(c) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(d) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
9. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(a) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
(b) Jude's place.
(c) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
10. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Because they know he is stealing money.
(b) Because he isn't paying attention.
(c) Because they know he is delivering messages in secret.
(d) This is a trick question; he doesn't get into trouble.
11. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
(a) A library.
(b) A pub.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A hospital.
12. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Eat the baked goods.
(b) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(c) Read books.
(d) Steal money.
13. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
(a) At his aunt's bakery.
(b) At her home.
(c) On a small bridge.
(d) Behind his favorite barn.
14. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the graveyard.
(b) In the stoneyard.
(c) In the shipyard.
(d) In the ballyard.
15. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
(a) She denies it.
(b) She starts to deny it, feels bad, and then comes clean.
(c) She admits that it's true.
(d) She doesn't really give a clear answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude decide to focus on after Arabella leaves him?
2. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
3. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
4. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
5. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)