|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From a radio ad.
(b) From an ad in the paper.
(c) From his aunt.
(d) From his previous employer.
2. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
(a) Get drunk.
(b) Get arrested for being a vagrant.
(c) Look at the churches and colleges in the city.
(d) Find a job and a place to live; he is very responsible.
3. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
4. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
(a) Classes don't start until the fall.
(b) He has to take one more elective.
(c) He needs to put his application together.
(d) He has no money for it.
5. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
(a) She is sent into isolation.
(b) She is kicked out of the school.
(c) She is asked all the details about what happened by her friends.
(d) She is sad because no one even knew she was missing.
6. What does Sue do with the statues that she buys?
(a) She covers them up.
(b) She stores them under her bed.
(c) She tries to paint them.
(d) She keeps them locked in her closet.
7. How does Jude feel about Sue's school's reaction to their night out together?
8. What pictures does Sue have on her dressing table in Melchester?
(a) No one, which some people find strange.
(b) Pictures of her mother.
(c) One of Mr. Phillotson and an unknown young man.
(d) Pictures of Jude and a young girl.
9. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
(a) He just wants to go there to start his life over.
(b) There are many universities there.
(c) It is supposed to be architecturally beautiful.
(d) There are a lot of pretty girls there.
10. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
(a) Brown House.
(b) Hen House.
(c) Red House.
(d) Barn House.
11. How does Arabella react to Jude's slaughtering of her pig?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She enjoys watching him learn.
(d) She is sad but knows it is necessary.
12. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
(a) She leaves him a note.
(b) Everyone is gossiping and he overhears what they are talking about.
(c) Someone from the stoneyard tells him.
(d) He doesn't; this is a trick question.
13. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
(a) A library.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A pub.
(d) A hospital.
14. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Into the fields he works every day.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Brown House.
15. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Profess his love for Annette.
(d) Come home and kick her out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Arabella finally seduce Jude?
2. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
3. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
4. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
5. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)