|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
2. What advice does Arabella ask he friends for after she first starts hanging out with Jude?
(a) How to get Jude to marry her.
(b) How to poison him.
(c) How to see if he is dating anyone else.
(d) How to find out more about his family.
3. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
(a) Someone from the stoneyard tells him.
(b) He doesn't; this is a trick question.
(c) Everyone is gossiping and he overhears what they are talking about.
(d) She leaves him a note.
4. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Steal money.
(b) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(c) Eat the baked goods.
(d) Read books.
5. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
(a) He feels too gross and dirty.
(b) She is too beautiful.
(c) He wants to respect his aunt's wishes.
(d) She is behind a gate.
6. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
(a) She does not have good moral character.
(b) Her moral character is heavily influenced by her religion.
(c) She has neither good nor bad morals.
(d) She has excellent moral character.
7. Where does Sue end up moving shortly after meeting Jude?
8. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(b) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
(c) He steals a customer's shoes.
(d) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
9. Who does Arabella go to in order to see if she is really pregnant or not?
(a) Dr. Vilbert.
(b) Her mother.
(c) A witch doctor.
(d) No one.
10. What is the name of the barn that has the roof Jude climbs as a youngster?
(a) Barn House.
(b) Red House.
(c) Brown House.
(d) Hen House.
11. How many letters does Jude write to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
12. Where do Jude and Arabella first share a beer together?
(a) At her father's tavern.
(b) At his mother's bakery.
(c) At a tavern in Marygreen.
(d) At a tavern in Alfredston.
13. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
(a) That she is very smart but poorly mannered.
(b) That she is mean, cruel, and deceitful.
(c) That she is beautiful, pious, and kind.
(d) That she is not friendly or nice.
14. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
(a) In the graveyard.
(b) In the stoneyard.
(c) In the ballyard.
(d) In the shipyard.
15. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
(a) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(b) She has a messenger deliver the news.
(c) He returns to an empty house.
(d) She leaves him a cruel message on the fridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
2. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
3. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
4. Which word best describes how Jude feels toward Sue during the first days he observes her?
5. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)