|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Jude take after working at his aunt's bakery?
(a) As an apprentice to a stone mason.
(b) As an apprentice to a medicine man.
(c) As an apprentice to a preacher.
(d) As an apprentice to a cobbler.
2. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
(a) Jude's place.
(b) Back home to Jude's aunt's.
(c) Mr. Phillotson's mansion.
3. What job does Jude take after he is fired from his first one?
(a) Working as a hired hand to help pick crops.
(b) Working as a petty theft.
(c) Working in his aunt's bakery.
(d) Working as a model for the painters in town.
4. How does Jude learn that Sue has come looking for him at work?
(a) She leaves him a note.
(b) He doesn't; this is a trick question.
(c) Everyone is gossiping and he overhears what they are talking about.
(d) Someone from the stoneyard tells him.
5. What does Jude learn about Arabella's pregnancy shortly after they are married?
(a) She aborted the baby.
(b) It was fictional.
(c) She had a miscarriage.
(d) She got pregnant by someone else.
6. What advice does Arabella ask he friends for after she first starts hanging out with Jude?
(a) How to find out more about his family.
(b) How to poison him.
(c) How to see if he is dating anyone else.
(d) How to get Jude to marry her.
7. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
8. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Because they know he is stealing money.
(b) This is a trick question; he doesn't get into trouble.
(c) Because he isn't paying attention.
(d) Because they know he is delivering messages in secret.
9. What was the final thing that pushed Jude to go to Christminster?
(a) A fire in his aunt's bakery.
(b) His completion of his degree program.
(c) The death of his beloved pet dog.
(d) A picture of his beautiful cousin.
10. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
(a) At church.
(b) At his house.
(c) In a public place.
(d) In the cemetary.
11. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From his aunt.
(b) From his previous employer.
(c) From a radio ad.
(d) From an ad in the paper.
12. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
(a) That she is really his sister.
(b) That she will only bring trouble.
(c) That she is not really his cousin.
(d) That she is lying and not really who she says she is.
13. How long after his marriage to Arabella does Jude finally arrive in Christminster?
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
14. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because they decide to elope.
(b) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
(c) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(d) Because they miss the last train.
15. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A pupil-teacher.
(d) A painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
2. How many pigs are Arabella and Jude able to find after they escape from Arabella's yard?
3. How many pigs escape from Arabella's yard when Jude is trying to help?
4. What does Jude discover is fake about Arabella on their first night of marriage?
5. What is Jude's full name?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)