|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Come home and kick her out of the house.
(b) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(c) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(d) Profess his love for Annette.
2. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
(a) She starts to deny it, feels bad, and then comes clean.
(b) She denies it.
(c) She admits that it's true.
(d) She doesn't really give a clear answer.
3. After he has already left Marygreen, what item does Mr. Phillotson ask to be sent to him?
(a) His art collection.
(b) His horse.
(c) His books.
(d) His piano.
4. What happens to Sue immediately upon her return to Melchester?
(a) She is sad because no one even knew she was missing.
(b) She is sent into isolation.
(c) She is kicked out of the school.
(d) She is asked all the details about what happened by her friends.
5. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) They drift from place to place.
(b) In the church basement.
(c) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
(d) In the bakery.
6. What does Jude do during his first day in Chrisminster?
(a) Get arrested for being a vagrant.
(b) Look at the churches and colleges in the city.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Find a job and a place to live; he is very responsible.
7. When do Jude and Sue return to Melchester after their trip out of town to see a museum?
(b) One week later.
(c) One month later.
(d) The very next day.
8. Who asks Jude to stay away from his cousin?
(a) Her grandmother.
(c) His aunt.
(d) A neighbor.
9. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) A little religious.
(b) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
(c) Completely religious.
(d) Not religious at all.
10. When does Sue plan to marry Mr. Phillotson?
(a) When she earns her certificate.
(b) She she becomes pregnant.
(c) When her parents can arrive for the wedding.
11. What can Jude see from the roof of the old barn?
(a) His old town.
(b) The ocean.
(c) A girl he has a crush on.
12. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
(a) In his lunchbox.
(b) At his home.
(c) At his office.
(d) With his aunt.
13. How do the students respond to Sue's punishment for her absence from the school?
(a) They don't care one way or the other.
(b) They protest it.
(c) They think it is too lenient.
(d) They write letters to the governor.
14. What does Sue buy statues of one day?
(d) Venus and Apollo.
15. Why do Sue and Jude not make it back to Christminster after a trip to a museum in a nearby town?
(a) Because Jude gets too drunk to know the way home.
(b) Because Sue breaks her ankle.
(c) Because they decide to elope.
(d) Because they miss the last train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jude's full name?
2. What is Sue's last name?
3. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
4. How does Sue let Jude know that she knows he loves her?
5. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)