|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of Part I, what impression is left with the reader about Arabella's moral character?
(a) She has excellent moral character.
(b) She has neither good nor bad morals.
(c) She does not have good moral character.
(d) Her moral character is heavily influenced by her religion.
2. Why does Sue move to Melchester?
(a) She wants to be far away from Jude.
(b) She wants to be far away from Mr. Phillotson.
(c) She has entered training school there.
(d) She wants to be nearer to Jude.
3. What is Arabella's full name?
(a) Arabella Donn.
(b) Arabella, daughter of Lucas.
(c) Arabella Peston.
(d) Arabella Donnita.
4. How religious is Sue when she and Jude first meet?
(a) Not religious at all.
(b) A little religious.
(c) This is a trick question; she's actually a nun.
(d) Completely religious.
5. What does Jude do in secret while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
(a) Read books.
(b) Delivery messages for people dating in secret.
(c) Steal money.
(d) Eat the baked goods.
6. How does Jude discover that Arabella has left him?
(a) He reads about it in the newspaper.
(b) He returns to an empty house.
(c) She has a messenger deliver the news.
(d) She leaves him a cruel message on the fridge.
7. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
(a) Purposefull pull her fake hair out of its braid.
(b) Accidentally trip her.
(c) Accidentally pull her fake hair out of its braid.
(d) Purposefully trip her.
8. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) They drift from place to place.
(b) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
(c) In the bakery.
(d) In the church basement.
9. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
(a) With his aunt.
(b) In his lunchbox.
(c) At his office.
(d) At his home.
10. How much savings does Jude have when he arrives in Christminster?
11. What job does Sue take that keeps her close to Jude?
(a) A painter.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A pupil-teacher.
12. What relationship do Sue and Mr. Phillotson have at first?
(a) Equal colleagues.
(b) They have no relationship, because they hate each other so much.
(c) Father and daughter.
(d) Employee and employer.
13. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) Hilda, the town baker.
(b) Mr. Phillotson.
(c) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
(d) Aaron, the stonemason.
14. Where do Jude and Arabella first meet alone?
(a) At his aunt's bakery.
(b) Behind his favorite barn.
(c) At her home.
(d) On a small bridge.
15. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
(a) There are a lot of pretty girls there.
(b) There are many universities there.
(c) He just wants to go there to start his life over.
(d) It is supposed to be architecturally beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first outing together, what comment does Arabella make about the beer?
2. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
3. What kind of job does Sue have when Jude finds her?
4. Where does Sue go after she leaver her school in Melchester?
5. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)