|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Third, At Melchester: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Sue and Jude walk during their first meeting?
(a) To the church they grew up at.
(b) To Mr. Phillotson's house.
(c) To one of the beautiful colleges in town.
(d) To the town bakery for croissants.
2. What causes Jude to be fired from his first job as a youth?
(a) He steals a customer's shoes.
(b) He gets into too much trouble nearly every day.
(c) He is caught feeding the birds he is supposed to scare away.
(d) He plays with other kids instead of trying to beg for food and money.
3. What does Arabella do with all of the things Jude gives her after she leaves him?
(a) Burn them in the town square.
(b) Sell them to a broker.
(c) Chop them up in a fit of rage.
(d) Clean them off and secretly put them back in their house.
4. What does Jude as Dr. Vilbert to help him learn?
(a) None of these answers are correct.
(c) Both of these answers are correct.
5. What does Jude do the night of his and Arabella's first big fight?
(a) Get drunk and get married to someone else.
(b) Profess his love for Annette.
(c) Go to a pub and have a few drinks.
(d) Come home and kick her out of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
2. Where does Jude arrange to meet Sue for the first time?
3. How does Sue respond when Jude asks if there is any romance between her and Mr. Phillotson?
4. Why is Jude forced to live with his aunt?
5. When they first meet, where does Sue tell Jude she is thinking of moving to?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)