|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Third, At Melchester: Chapters 1-5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jude take Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) Down to the river.
(b) Brown House.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) Into the fields he works every day.
2. How does Sue eventually leave her school in Melchester?
(a) She escapes.
(b) Mr. Phillotson comes to pick her up.
(c) She quits in a big scene.
(d) She graduates with the highest GPA in her class.
3. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
(a) From his previous employer.
(b) From a radio ad.
(c) From his aunt.
(d) From an ad in the paper.
4. When does Sue plan to marry Mr. Phillotson?
(a) She she becomes pregnant.
(b) When she earns her certificate.
(c) When her parents can arrive for the wedding.
5. What advice does Jude receive in response to his letters to the headmasters of the Christminster universities?
(a) He actually never receives any replies.
(b) That he can enroll next semester as long as he has the funds.
(c) That he not aspire to an education.
(d) That he can attend free of charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jude's aunt tell him about Sue during his first visit to see her after he moves to Christminster?
2. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
3. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
4. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
5. Which word best describes how Jude feels toward Sue during the first days he observes her?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)