|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Second, At Christminster: Chapters 4-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jude not approach Sue when he first sees her?
(a) He wants to respect his aunt's wishes.
(b) She is too beautiful.
(c) She is behind a gate.
(d) He feels too gross and dirty.
2. What person do Jude and Sue realize they both know?
(a) Mr. Phillotson.
(b) Aaron, the stonemason.
(c) Hilda, the town baker.
(d) The priest at the church -- he was a childhood friend.
3. Where does Jude pick up Arabella on their first real outing?
(a) At her father's house.
(b) At her boarding school.
(c) At the nunnery.
(d) They meet in the town square.
4. What job does Jude take after working at his aunt's bakery?
(a) As an apprentice to a cobbler.
(b) As an apprentice to a preacher.
(c) As an apprentice to a medicine man.
(d) As an apprentice to a stone mason.
5. What does Jude decide to focus on after Arabella leaves him?
(a) Finding another woman to marry.
(c) His children.
(d) Traveling around the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in particular appeals to Jude about Christminster?
2. What does Jude do to Arabella that causes her to claim he is abusive?
3. What prevents Jude from enrolling in one of Christminster's schools when he first arrives?
4. Where does Sue leave a note for Jude before they officially meet each other?
5. How old is Jude in the first chapters of "Jude the Obscure"?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)