|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part Third, At Melchester: Chapters 6-10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jude tell Mr. Phillotson about Sue's situation at Melchester?
(a) That Sue hates him and wants to marry Jude instead.
(b) That he knows nothing about it.
(c) The truth.
(d) That he'll tell him what he wants to know for a large sum of money.
2. Where does Jude suggest meeting Sue, after she has married, when he learns that their aunt has taken a turn for the worse?
(b) His home.
(c) His aunt's bakery.
(d) A train station in Alfredston.
3. What does Mr. Phillotson do when he hears of Sue's troubles back at Melchester?
(a) Decides never to talk to Sue again.
(b) Ignores it.
(c) Goes to the town and seeks out Jude.
(d) Orders Sue to return home at once.
4. Why did Sue come to live in Christminster in the first place?
(a) She was born there.
(b) She was in love with someone else.
(c) Her father disowned her.
(d) She was attending the university there.
5. What is Jude's first impression of Sue from afar?
(a) That she is mean, cruel, and deceitful.
(b) That she is very smart but poorly mannered.
(c) That she is not friendly or nice.
(d) That she is beautiful, pious, and kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jude learn about the stone-master he approaches in Christminster?
2. Where does Sue live when Jude first meets her?
3. How does Sue react to Jude's declaration that he wants to be a priest?
4. Why does Jude get in trouble with the police while driving his aunt's delivery cart?
5. Where does Jude see Sue for the second time?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)