Part First, At Marygreen: Chapters 1-4
1. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
2. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
3. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
4. What is Jude's full name?
(a) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
(b) Jude Phillotson.
(c) Jude Funton.
(d) Jude Fawley.
5. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
(a) At night.
(b) In the morning.
(c) All day.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
6. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
(a) A library.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A pub.
7. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) They drift from place to place.
(b) In the church basement.
(c) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
(d) In the bakery.
8. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
(a) To shine shoes.
(b) To scare away the birds from a farmer's field.
(c) To simply stay out of trouble.
(d) To beg for food and money.
This section contains 5,458 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)