Part First, At Marygreen: Chapters 1-4
1. When was "Jude the Obscure" first published?
2. What job does Mr. Phillotson have when he is first introduced into the text?
3. Where does the novel first take place when it begins?
4. What is Jude's full name?
(a) Jude Funton.
(b) Jude Phillotson.
(c) Jude Fawley.
(d) No one knows; he is always referred to as "Jude the Obscure."
5. When is Jude going to school when the novel first begins?
(a) In the morning.
(b) At night.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) All day.
6. What kind of business does Jude's aunt run?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A pub.
(d) A library.
7. Where do Jude and his aunt live when he is young?
(a) They drift from place to place.
(b) In the bakery.
(c) In the church basement.
(d) In the backhouse of someone's farm.
8. What is Jude's first job when he is younger?
(a) To beg for food and money.
(b) To scare away the birds from a farmer's field.
(c) To shine shoes.
(d) To simply stay out of trouble.
This section contains 5,458 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)